Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Taear posted:

Trespasser explained a ton of the mysteries that Origin set out, what do you mean?

I mean that it takes the focus away from the Darkspawn and their origin, and instead focuses on the Veil and the Fade. Inquisition pretty much nixes the idea that the Tevinter Magisters created the Darkspawn by pissing off The Maker and implying Corypheus & Co. just crossed into the empty Fade that Fen'Harel sealed away. Trespasser makes it look as though the prevailing conflict will move away from Mages vs. Templars to Qunari versus Agents of Fen'Harel.

I dunno, I was really interested in Dragon Age because of the Grey Wardens and the Darkspawn. I started losing interest when it moved into the ideological fight between mages and templars, and Darkspawn just ended up being a background problem. I guess I just wanted closure on the Darkspawn, Red versus Blue lyrium, as well as all of the odd ideas they introduced in DLC, like the Architect, Mother, and Titans. Maybe they cleared those questions up in books or comics, but I was hoping it would be included in the gameplay. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^edit: Corypheus already said the Golden City was empty in Dragon Age 2. We got the red lyrium idol in DA2. Red, that is blighted lyrium was a big plot point in DA3. The fact that lyrium is the blood of the Titans was a major revelation of Descent. And the one, central element featured in the DA4 trailer was the/a red lyrium idol. So it seems obvious to me that the blight/darkspawn, and likely also the Titans will be a major plot point for DA4. There are still two Old Gods to corrupt. We still don't know what connection, if any, there is between the Old Gods and the elven gods sealed in the Fade. Solas was particularly unhappy with the Grey Wardens just eradicating the Archdemons, with no thought for the consequences. And a big plot point in the ending slides of DA3 was that something is up with the Grey Wardens. Yes, Solas and the elven gods will play a major role in DA4, but I'm really sure most of those elements that you brought up will still be important for the game. Except for the mage/templar conflict, that's over and done with. And considering how it was handled by Bioware, good riddance. At the end, they succeeded only in making me hate both factions equally.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Frankly, is there even a point for DA4? Inquisition was really weird, and the whole Trespasser DLC just drove the story down a different road than the one Origins started. It's as though they have zero idea of what they want to do and just come up with some "twist" that makes things even more convoluted.

Yes, there is a point to DA4? This seems really strange. Origins already laid out the mystery of the Blight for us. We got some answers to these questions over the last two games, but got even more questions in return. And it seems very likely that the elven gods were somehow involved. The lore of Dragon Age is evolving in interesting directions.

Also, Trespasser ended with the biggest cliffhanger in the series' history? How can you say there's no point to another DA game? At the very least, we want to stop Fen'Harel.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 21, 2019

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
There is definitely a point to a DA4. I think the real question is "Is our imagination of what it would've been more valuable than whatever Bioware scrapes together out of obligation?" It's the Half-Life 3 conundrum.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
DA's story beats are actually pretty well plotted and I'd imagine most people assumed from the start that the story about Tevinter mages pissing off the Maker was false.

At this point my working theory is Solas sealed the Elven Gods and the Blight away in the fade and the reason he did that was the Elven gods designed the Blight as a bio weapon to kill the Titans but the Blight being the Blight it got out of hand and so Solas did what he did to stop the Elven gods from destroying the world. So he sealed the Gods in the fade and the blight with them and all was well until the Tevinter Mages blundered into the fade (possibly at the behest of sleeping Elven Gods reaching out via their dreams?) and unleashed the blight again.

The only part that doesn't fit for me is why the Elven gods would want the blight unleashed again. Maybe the Old Gods function as guardians of their prison in some way and their deaths will play a role in freeing them?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I stopped following Anthem a while ago, I assume it's out and people are saying it's bad?

The core gameplay is interesting. It is basically ME combat(combos) but with the flight mechanic expanded and an open world map.
There is a lot of bad design though in the game, the entire UI/tutorial is garbage. Enemy design is garbage compared to ME or DA. Looting aspect is bad for a looter game. You can't get any armors which is the most visual thing because EA had to lock that behind paywalls.
It has potential. Maybe in a few updates it will be decent. I do think the core gameplay is decent. Some people think the gameplay is generic, it is generic if you play it like a shooter and never use ur abilities but the game doesn't really a good job explaining that.

Also do you guys remember this trailer for Origins? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PQXplXYxcc

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Beefstew posted:

There is definitely a point to a DA4. I think the real question is "Is our imagination of what it would've been more valuable than whatever Bioware scrapes together out of obligation?" It's the Half-Life 3 conundrum.

We know they have a rough idea of the answers to most of the questions. I'm sure there's a bit of stuff that isn't planned out but I imagine it like Babylon 5 or Steven Universe where there's a "series bible" with a bunch of poo poo in that they're building towards.
I'd at least like them to give us that before it dies.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Taear posted:

We know they have a rough idea of the answers to most of the questions. I'm sure there's a bit of stuff that isn't planned out but I imagine it like Babylon 5 or Steven Universe where there's a "series bible" with a bunch of poo poo in that they're building towards.
Way back when DA:O was still being developed, Gaider mentioned on Bioware's original forum that they had an outline for the overarching story for the first three games. It would had to have been revised a bunch of times since then, since for starters the concept of DA2 wasn't originally a standalone game. But supposedly idea was they were building up to some sort of conclusion.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ulio posted:

Also do you guys remember this trailer for Origins? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PQXplXYxcc

I know this was a decade ago but man was DA:O ugly.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

I think it looks really good, I dunno if it's because I play a lot of indie games which are still sort of stuck in that level of graphics or what.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm kinda fond of Origins' sepia tones and gentle lighting effects, less fond of the faces and the GYNORMOUS HANDS AND WEAPONS (though I understand that was a gameplay compromise to make everything readable with the tactical camera).

Also, very lukewarm take: while I understand the reasoning behind the Darkspawn redesign, it didn't really work visually for me.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Also, very lukewarm take: while I understand the reasoning behind the Darkspawn redesign, it didn't really work visually for me.

Wait, there was an actual reason for it? Because I always thought that was one of the more baffling use of resources for DA2.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm kinda fond of Origins' sepia tones and gentle lighting effects, less fond of the faces and the GYNORMOUS HANDS AND WEAPONS (though I understand that was a gameplay compromise to make everything readable with the tactical camera).

they went from looking like horrible rotting monsters in DA:O to the putty patrol in DA2

also I like the whole "genlocks are big now, no reason, they just are" change

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Wait, there was an actual reason for it? Because I always thought that was one of the more baffling use of resources for DA2.

They wanted to unify the look of the Darkspawn (which admittedly look pretty different across the board) and also give their armors and weapons a more makeshift look, because in Origins it *did* kinda look like they had some Darkspawn blacksmith back in the Deep Roads who just sorta has a normal life and forges top-quality gear for them.

I just think the new design was weaker though, in spite of solving both of those problems BioWare correctly identified.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

:agreed: on both counts

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I prefer the new Darkspawn look tbh. With how wildly different Shades and Ogres are it was cool to see Genlocks as something other than 'Hurlocks but short?'.

Honestly Hurlocks are still by far the weakest design since they're just dudes. I wish they'd gotten their own radical redesign.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They wanted to unify the look of the Darkspawn (which admittedly look pretty different across the board) and also give their armors and weapons a more makeshift look, because in Origins it *did* kinda look like they had some Darkspawn blacksmith back in the Deep Roads who just sorta has a normal life and forges top-quality gear for them.

I just think the new design was weaker though, in spite of solving both of those problems BioWare correctly identified.
There actually was a darkspawn blacksmith. In Origins you can go kill him in the Deeproads. Making their equipment more ramshackle was a good idea though.

But I'm not sure it was problem that the darkspawn breeds didn't look like eachother. It helped sell the idea that these are 4 different races of people that have been corrupted into these monsters.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

Way back when DA:O was still being developed, Gaider mentioned on Bioware's original forum that they had an outline for the overarching story for the first three games. It would had to have been revised a bunch of times since then, since for starters the concept of DA2 wasn't originally a standalone game. But supposedly idea was they were building up to some sort of conclusion.

I imagine at least at a broad level they knew stuff like the Elven gods being fake, and what the Blight is/who caused it, etc.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

The redesigned blight actually feels relatively new. The old design was just the same old high fantasy goblins (genlocks), orcs (hurlocks), and ogres (ogres).

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

I think DA:O just looks old but DA2 looks legit ugly especially the UI is still horrible.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm replaying Inquisition and something that bugs me is I can't use the cool armor without making myself weaker. I want to craft some Grey Warden armor, but it's considerably weaker than the best stuff I can craft.

I dunno. Maybe it's worth it even if I'm weaker for it. Wish these games just gave you the ability to craft armor/weapons in any style and just make it so that the materials you use decide how good it is. Say what you will about how broken crafting is in Skyrim, at least because of it you can wear whatever you want.

At least I can tint my armor whatever colors I want. Too bad they don't let you pick a schematic along with the materials to say "And that's what armor I want it to look like."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ginette Reno posted:

The only part that doesn't fit for me is why the Elven gods would want the blight unleashed again. Maybe the Old Gods function as guardians of their prison in some way and their deaths will play a role in freeing them?

I wouldn't say they wanted it so much as it was an accident, maybe? What they WANTED was to get free but welp.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

PureRok posted:

I'm replaying Inquisition and something that bugs me is I can't use the cool armor without making myself weaker. I want to craft some Grey Warden armor, but it's considerably weaker than the best stuff I can craft.

I dunno. Maybe it's worth it even if I'm weaker for it. Wish these games just gave you the ability to craft armor/weapons in any style and just make it so that the materials you use decide how good it is. Say what you will about how broken crafting is in Skyrim, at least because of it you can wear whatever you want.

At least I can tint my armor whatever colors I want. Too bad they don't let you pick a schematic along with the materials to say "And that's what armor I want it to look like."

One of the things I love about AC: Odyssey is that you can transmog anything once you find a piece. Got armor with really good stats but it's dull/ugly? Slap that shiny skin on it and now you look badass.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m glad the series is moving into new/different territory storywise. To me, the darkspawn were a boring enemy and there was never much interesting about them. The real foe in DA:O was Loghain anyway.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I have to admit, part of me does miss having the Grey Wardens up front and center. It would've gotten boring if every sequel was just "you're a Warden again, and there's a new Blight to stop!", but I still like it as a protagonist hook more than Hawke or the Inquisitor. I think it would've been interesting to still play another Warden, but without the simplicity of an archdemon to kill.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I’m glad the series is moving into new/different territory storywise. To me, the darkspawn were a boring enemy and there was never much interesting about them. The real foe in DA:O was Loghain anyway.

Still hope DA4 has a choice of siding with the Qunari or Tevinter. DAO's formula of Typical EVIL Army of Doom Plot combine with Political Plot worked for it but it did not work in DAI whatsoever. Just drop the first part and embrace the second part. They're probably nervous since DA2 did that and look where that ended up.

I love DA2 but BioWare is never going to evoke memories of it. I bet anything all future Dragon Age games won't even have numbers, they'll stick with Dragon Age: [Word].

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I feel like a pretty strong signal has been sent that Qunari are The Bad Guys at this point. You might still get a choice as to whether to prop up Tevinter or not, but I doubt they will let you be pro-Qunari unless they introduce a reformist Qunari splinter faction or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I dunno. I think I'm a little tired of Dragon Age constantly slamming the door on my face whenever I try to make things better in the setting. What's the point of having a bleak and depressing setting if you can't turn the tide and change things for the better?

Inquisition at least had some great characters to make up for the dreary slog of a world and overall story, but I'm very skeptical of DA4. Especially if EA persists in this open world bullshit that's been such a plague on gaming lately.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh no. They can do open world with lootboxes, and possibly new and exciting live elements instead :haw:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

NikkolasKing posted:

I love DA2 but BioWare is never going to evoke memories of it. I bet anything all future Dragon Age games won't even have numbers, they'll stick with Dragon Age: [Word].

I don't know that I agree with this. The entirety of DA2 served as a prologue to DA:I and the antagonist for that game was a dude you encounter in a DLC to DA2. I thought that was a brilliant move and I think the mage/Templar war will still have some lingering effects even in Tevinter. To me, only DA:O seems a bit disconnected. Once the blight was sewed up in Amaranthine, there's not much residual effect from it. At least not as much as the mage/Templar war and the tears in the fade. If anything, all DA:O did was setup the origin story for Hawke to take off in DA2.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bring back the blight, bring back the grey wardens. Keep the base aspect I really liked that even in 1 you got one I believe in a DLC.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Cythereal posted:

What's the point of having a bleak and depressing setting if you can't turn the tide and change things for the better?

Accuracy. Verisimilitude. True-to-life-ness.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sarern posted:

Accuracy. Verisimilitude. True-to-life-ness.

Lol if you aren’t entertained by being sad all the time

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NikkolasKing posted:

Still hope DA4 has a choice of siding with the Qunari or Tevinter. DAO's formula of Typical EVIL Army of Doom Plot combine with Political Plot worked for it but it did not work in DAI whatsoever. Just drop the first part and embrace the second part. They're probably nervous since DA2 did that and look where that ended up.

Uh what.

Like the sole thing we know about DA4 explicitly evokes DA2 with the Red Lyrium Idol being so prominent.

DA2 also arguably had more impact on Inquisition than Origins. You brought back the main villain from one of DA2's DLCs, Varric is one of your first mandatory companions, Hawke is brought back for a story bit, Cassandra originated in DA2's framing device, the Mage/Templar war literally builds explicitly off of Anders' actions...

I mean gently caress, none of that counts as 'evoking memories'?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zore posted:

Uh what.

Like the sole thing we know about DA4 explicitly evokes DA2 with the Red Lyrium Idol being so prominent.

DA2 also arguably had more impact on Inquisition than Origins. You brought back the main villain from one of DA2's DLCs, Varric is one of your first mandatory companions, Hawke is brought back for a story bit, Cassandra originated in DA2's framing device, the Mage/Templar war literally builds explicitly off of Anders' actions...

I mean gently caress, none of that counts as 'evoking memories'?

The Red Lyrium was a minor plot element in DA2. The most important things in DA2 were the Qunari and Mages vs. Templars. Not only was the Mage=Templar War actually started by a vote in a book nobody read instead of Anders' actions in DA2, DAI has a total bait-and-switch where the entire war is tossed out the window in favor of an End of the World Plot. And the qunari only have relevance in DAI in a DLC. And it's actually a common complaint that the Corypheus of DAI has a totally different personality from how he was in the DA2 DLC.

Perhaps I exaggerated but DAI is a pretty shoddy follow-up to anything in DA2. It's more about how elves are really stupid and uninformed than anything in DA2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

The Red Lyrium was a minor plot element in DA2. The most important things in DA2 were the Qunari and Mages vs. Templars. Not only was the Mage=Templar War actually started by a vote in a book nobody read instead of Anders' actions in DA2, DAI has a total bait-and-switch where the entire war is tossed out the window in favor of an End of the World Plot. And the qunari only have relevance in DAI in a DLC. And it's actually a common complaint that the Corypheus of DAI has a totally different personality from how he was in the DA2 DLC.

Perhaps I exaggerated but DAI is a pretty shoddy follow-up to anything in DA2. It's more about how elves are really stupid and uninformed than anything in DA2.

The Red Lyrium Idol is insanely integral to the plot of DA2 :psyduck: Its literally the inciting treasure that sets the whole story in motion. Act 1 is based entirely around the expedition to get it and Act 3 is framed around its corrupting influence being what ultimately causes Kirkwall to explode.

Varric is explicitly framing his entire narrative around it and how it changed Kirkwall in DA2's framing device.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

PureRok posted:

While I'm down with transmog/costume slots I find it a bit confusing when the model of armour doesn't affect the stats of it.
I'd never use transmog slots but making it so "Bog Armour" is the same as "Dragon Scale Armour" would actively make the game worse for me outside of that mechanic.

I know that's dumb, but it absolutely would.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

And it's actually a common complaint that the Corypheus of DAI has a totally different personality from how he was in the DA2 DLC.
Corypheus has never had a character beyond "Grr, I'm a big bad evil dude."
The only difference is that in Legacy he was still a bit groggy from having just woken up and in DA:I he got himself some coffee.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Zore posted:

The Red Lyrium Idol is insanely integral to the plot of DA2 :psyduck: Its literally the inciting treasure that sets the whole story in motion. Act 1 is based entirely around the expedition to get it and Act 3 is framed around its corrupting influence being what ultimately causes Kirkwall to explode.

Varric is explicitly framing his entire narrative around it and how it changed Kirkwall in DA2's framing device.

Yeah lol I can’t believe you had to actually type this, it’s obvious. There’s the idol in the foreground causing all the chaos, and in the background you have Kirkwall’s weird history.

da2 was a poo poo bad game but the plot had decent ideas when it didn’t go off the rails and it’s way more linked into DA:I

DA:O was great and after seeing DA:I and where the plot is now, I think DA:O did an excellent job establishing the universe while also being interesting as a stand alone, it’s clear they’ve thought this plot out in advance.

Same for DA:2’s main plot.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just move stats to jewelry or something else we don't see and keep visible armor for cosmetic customization.

orcane fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zore posted:

Varric is telling the story of Hawke and how the Mage Templar War started. The Red Lyrium Idol is a minor part of both as Hawke encounters it two times in his/her entire life You could argue it made Meredith crazier and that forced Anders' hand but she was a scumbag long before she got the thing and Kirkwall was a madhouse long before the Idol was discovered. (tears in the Fade due to mass slave sacrifices will do that to a place)

I honestly don't recall Varic or Cassandra attributing any special significance to the Idol at all. She's certainly not there to ask about Red Lyrium.