Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Yeah there's whole sections of the Nordic list you can just cruise right on by and be better off for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Skyrim is really great for random stuff.

Haven't started the CW yet but a random Imperial waltzed to Riften and killed a guard only to replace her at the back right gate.

Edit; yes my GPU is in need of replacement and I need to get better texture mods.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
I am getting a CTD when I exit the dungeon I have my last save in.
When I load a Save where I am in the overworld I get an CTD as well.
I also get a CTD when running the game from steam and starting a new game IE with no Mods,
this makes me think the problem is not with the mods.

I noticed Steam installed a patch the other night, could that be the problem?
Any ideas how to troubleshoot?

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Welp, had to stop playing the new Enderal release. It crashes way too often. More even than the previous releases. I'll wait for it to get released on the Skyrim SE, and hopefully that won't crash as much. This release is much more immersive though. I haven't run into even one dialog that's in German, and the voice acting is darn good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

HoboTech posted:

Yeah there's whole sections of the Nordic list you can just cruise right on by and be better off for it.

it's true, I tend to start by skipping all of it

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014
Weird problem recently popped-up.

I installed JC Containers SE through MO, booted up the game, and kept having it CTD. So I did the simple thing of uninstalling the new mod to go on my way. But now the game is stuck after the Bethesda logo, giving me a black screen rather than the main menu, with the main theme playing in the background.

Is there a fix for this, like reinstalling SKSE or something? Or do I have to do the nuclear option of reinstalling the whole game+mods?

Edit: And, restarting my computer/installing the new update for my graphics driver fixed it? Such is life, I guess.

Old_Screwtape fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 22, 2019

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Check your mods that require JC Containers. I know at least one of them (that I can't recall) bundled an older version of JC Containers inside. You may have older versions of scripts and/or plugins overwriting each other.

Move JC Containers lower in your load order and try again.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Skyrim is really great for random stuff.

Haven't started the CW yet but a random Imperial waltzed to Riften and killed a guard only to replace her at the back right gate.

Edit; yes my GPU is in need of replacement and I need to get better texture mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Started crashing out so got real mad and replaced 90% of texture mods with just ASO Artistic Skyrim Overhaul (oil version).

It looks real good and very Torchlightey. Reckon it would be an ideal one-and-done graphics mod for many, and only improves with verdant grass, weathers and other environmental improvements.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chubby Henparty posted:

Started crashing out so got real mad and replaced 90% of texture mods with just ASO Artistic Skyrim Overhaul (oil version).

It looks real good and very Torchlightey. Reckon it would be an ideal one-and-done graphics mod for many, and only improves with verdant grass, weathers and other environmental improvements.

Get on my level nerd.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
when you need 500fps

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Addamere posted:

Get on my level nerd.

:eyepop: 'the gently caress is going on over in Whiterun, is that a Fallout 4 lod?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

I can't stop watching it. It's like being in a dream.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
So it turns out Skyrim Together has been stealing code from the script extender.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh, word? why should anyone besides them care

"total disrespect for modder etiquette, the Skyrim Online team is explicitly disallowed"

lmao nerd fight

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I'm honestly surprised the Skyrim Together patreon is still up. Maybe Bethesda stopped caring all that much about Skyrim stuff these days, but in the past they shut people selling mods down pretty fast.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Isn't the script extender MIT licensed for open use anyways? Is it actually stealing?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Isn't the script extender MIT licensed for open use anyways? Is it actually stealing?

is it worth engaging with an internet nerd slap fight to find out? if so the link is right there

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Addamere posted:

is it worth engaging with an internet nerd slap fight to find out? if so the link is right there

God, never. Don't touch the poo, you know better.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
From the comments, apparently the main SKSE source is supposed to be closed even though it's made freely available for troubleshooting (how does that work?). So allegedly the Skyrim Together team did a bad thing because they're making money off of it? Someone who actually understands real world software licensing would need to weigh in to clarify if this is an actual legal issue or just community etiquette drama.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

timn posted:

From the comments, apparently the main SKSE source is supposed to be closed even though it's made freely available for troubleshooting (how does that work?).

allowing people to see your source doesn't mean you also have to allow free and open licensing rights. It's like Microsoft putting proprietary code up on github; it's still theirs even if you can see it.

that is, just because it's available to view publicly doesn't automatically make it open-source; that's two different things.

however will this result in any legal action haha no

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 27, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

timn posted:

From the comments, apparently the main SKSE source is supposed to be closed even though it's made freely available for troubleshooting (how does that work?). So allegedly the Skyrim Together team did a bad thing because they're making money off of it? Someone who actually understands real world software licensing would need to weigh in to clarify if this is an actual legal issue or just community etiquette drama.

Of course it is not a real legal issue because a real legal issue would involve paying lawyers and court fees and neither party involved will do so because it is an Internet nerd slap fight, just laugh at it you dingus

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Parts of it is MIT licensed. Though taking that and claiming it as your own work is still a no-no.
The core of the script extender is copyrighted by IPatt though. The source is freely available, but ripping it like this is copyright infringement.

For extra drama stuff: A good while ago the Skyrim Together team kicked up a fuss about Tamriel Online (a long abandoned multiplayer-in-Skyrim project), claiming that the latter had stolen Skyrim Together's code. So much for that.
Tamriel Online was pretty upfront that they build their stuff off SKSE.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm still surprised Bethesda hasn't turned their eye toward a group using their game to make 35,000 dollars a month on patreon (using stolen code apparently, lol).

I mean, there is making some spare change off mods and then there is poo poo like that.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Psion posted:

allowing people to see your source doesn't mean you also have to allow free and open licensing rights. It's like Microsoft putting proprietary code up on github; it's still theirs even if you can see it.

that is, just because it's available to view publicly doesn't automatically make it open-source; that's two different things.

however will this result in any legal action haha no

Good to know, I get confused by the stuff I hear in passing about popular open source licensing schemes and their requirements.

I'm also having a hard time figuring out what the use is of keeping SKSE closed in the first place. The dev in the link mentioned they're concerned about avoiding legal attention from Bethesda et al., so unless the point is to dissuade others from crossing a line with them then I don't see what the point really is.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I misread their disclaimer and they're not released under the MIT license anyways. So moot point overall.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Obviously everyone should steal Skyrim Together, it's only fair.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Steal Skyrim Together together.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You n'wah.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm still surprised Bethesda hasn't turned their eye toward a group using their game to make 35,000 dollars a month on patreon (using stolen code apparently, lol).

I mean, there is making some spare change off mods and then there is poo poo like that.

please correct if wrong, but i think u can get away with that because patreon is "donation money" however it stops bein that when you locking poo poo behind paywalls

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dongicus posted:

please correct if wrong, but i think u can get away with that because patreon is "donation money" however it stops bein that when you locking poo poo behind paywalls
I feel like that gets into silly "I'm not breaking into your house. I'm simply visiting unannounced." sort of nonsense.
The CK's EULA says

quote:

You further agree not to charge, accept or solicit, directly or indirectly, fees or non-monetary contributions for developing or creating Game Mods, including without limitation fees collected through "crowd funding."
Offering a mod only to patreon donors clearly falls under that. If Bethesda cared enough to do so they can wave a cease&desist letter around and patreon would dump Skyrim Together in a heartbeat.

In other news, this had me looking at skyrim modders on patreon and I found that threat-favorite Arthmoor has one. He makes a whopping 181 bucks a month. That actually seems to be not that bad compared to other skyrim modders on patreon.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

that quote speaks about locking mod content behind paywalls, skyrim together is free to download. its just tips.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah,if you are giving access in exchange for donations that's basically charging for a mod. I assumed they had a patreon but it didn't give you early access to the mod or anything, just, like, a special chat room or something.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Raygereio posted:

I feel like that gets into silly "I'm not breaking into your house. I'm simply visiting unannounced." sort of nonsense.
The CK's EULA says

Offering a mod only to patreon donors clearly falls under that. If Bethesda cared enough to do so they can wave a cease&desist letter around and patreon would dump Skyrim Together in a heartbeat.

In other news, this had me looking at skyrim modders on patreon and I found that threat-favorite Arthmoor has one. He makes a whopping 181 bucks a month. That actually seems to be not that bad compared to other skyrim modders on patreon.

It's not a ton but he probably gets a good grand every month or so from donations via the Nexus.

Wonder if he declares that on his taxes...

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree that turning our gaming hobby into a capitalist rules lawyer chatroom is a great idea

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(a) General rule
Except as otherwise provided in this section or in section 117 (relating to qualified scholarships), gross income includes amounts received as prizes and awards.

(b) Exception for certain prizes and awards transferred to charities
Gross income does not include amounts received as prizes and awards made primarily in recognition of religious, charitable, scientific, educational, artistic, literary, or civic achievement, but only if—
. (1) the recipient was selected without any action on his part to enter the contest or proceeding;
. (2) the recipient is not required to render substantial future services as a condition to receiving the prize or award; and
. (3) the prize or award is transferred by the payor to a governmental unit or organization described in paragraph (1) or (2) of section 170(c) pursuant to a designation made by the recipient.

(c) Exception for certain employee achievement awards
. (1) In general
. Gross income shall not include the value of an employee achievement award (as defined in section 274(j)) received by the taxpayer if the cost to the employer of the employee achievement award does not exceed the amount allowable as a deduction to the employer for the cost of the employee achievement award.
. (2) Excess deduction award If the cost to the employer of the employee achievement award received by the taxpayer exceeds the amount allowable as a deduction to the employer, then gross income includes the greater of—
. . (A) an amount equal to the portion of the cost to the employer of the award that is not allowable as a deduction to the employer (but not in excess of the value of the award), or
. . (B) the amount by which the value of the award exceeds the amount allowable as a deduction to the employer.
The remaining portion of the value of such award shall not be included in the gross income of the recipient.
. (3) Treatment of tax-exempt employers
. In the case of an employer exempt from taxation under this subtitle, any reference in this subsection to the amount allowable as a deduction to the employer shall be treated as a reference to the amount which would be allowable as a deduction to the employer if the employer were not exempt from taxation under this subtitle.
. (4) Cross reference
For provisions excluding certain de minimis fringes from gross income, see section 132(e).

(d) Exception for Olympic and Paralympic medals and prizes
. (1) In general
Gross income shall not include the value of any medal awarded in, or any prize money received from the United States Olympic Committee on account of, competition in the Olympic Games or Paralympic Games.
. (2) Limitation based on adjusted gross income
. . (A) In general
. . Paragraph (1) shall not apply to any taxpayer for any taxable year if the adjusted gross income (determined without regard to this subsection) of such taxpayer for such taxable year exceeds $1,000,000 (half of such amount in the case of a married individual filing a separate return).
. . (B) Coordination with other limitations
. . For purposes of sections 86, 135, 137, 219, 221, 222, and 469, adjusted gross income shall be determined after the application of paragraph (1) and before the application of subparagraph (A).

(e)d balls :frogout:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'd love to see an old rear end judge make a finding on whether mods constitute an artistic achievement tbh. That'd be a fun case.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Games are art so it checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd love to see an old rear end judge make a finding on whether mods constitute an artistic achievement tbh. That'd be a fun case.

From context, it's clear that the artistic exception is meant to be applied when an external authority is considering your work against a field of competitors.

"Please donate to my patreon if you liked the mod" does not appear to fit that model.