Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i thought lanturn was gen 3 for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Does anybody else have Pokémon that they constantly confuse which generation they're from?

Despite personal experience I constantly think several Pokémon are from the wrong gen. Particularly gens 3-5.

Swalot, Altaria, Vespiquen, and Drifblim are all gen 5 in my head

Gastrodon is gen 3

Flygon and Smeargle are gen 4 for some reason??

Why does this happen?

Shellos was in fact meant to be released in G3 (there are unused sprites for it in game even) which is how I justify always thinking it's a G3 mon. That and the fact that it much more fits the aesthetics of G3 than G4.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If I was gonna dedicate some time to an old poker man game on the 3DS VC, should I commit to blue, yellow, silver, or crystal?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

chaosapiant posted:

If I was gonna dedicate some time to an old poker man game on the 3DS VC, should I commit to blue, yellow, silver, or crystal?

Crystal. Best game of the best generation.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Since Crystal, every Pokemon game has had an English name, even in Japanese. For example, Black and White aren't Kuro and Shiro, they're ブラック (Black) and ホワイト (White). Therefore, if the image was true, the titles would appear as キング (King) and クィーン (Queen).
Thanks! I wanted to explain in detail but as you can see my work computer automatically fucks up kana so I opted for vitriol.

EDIT: Of course it preserves yours. Mine will look like this --> ‚±‚ę‚ÍŚł‚Ě“ú–{ŚęB

oddium posted:

ZA WAIRUDO
lol

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

chaosapiant posted:

I would choose Crystal.

The UI, bag, and QoL improvements are a large jump over the Gen I games and it being the 3rd version gives it some improvements over Silver.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

OhFunny posted:

I would choose Crystal.

The UI, bag, and QoL improvements are a large jump over the Gen I games and it being the 3rd version gives it some improvements over Silver.

I like that they announced Crystal right after I finally bought Gold. Pissed me right off.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

They were both cheap enough that I didn’t mind getting both. How does exp share work in Crystal?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

chaosapiant posted:

They were both cheap enough that I didn’t mind getting both. How does exp share work in Crystal?

It’s an item that a specific Pokémon in your team can carry and half of any given experience from battle goes to the Pokémon wearing it, even if they didn’t battle

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Finish Yellow and then do Crystal. Get those first two gens knocked out, and send the Pokémon up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Does anybody else have Pokémon that they constantly confuse which generation they're from?

I could not tell you the generation of origin of any pokemon that isn’t from gen 1 or gen 7. (Except for the gen 2 evos and pre-evos of gen 1 pokemon.) If it’s from gen 2 ,3, 4, or 5, I have no idea which.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Despite personal experience I constantly think several Pokémon are from the wrong gen. Particularly gens 3-5.

Gastrodon is gen 3

Why does this happen?

I think I confuse half of Gen 2 with being Gen 3, but that's likely because I didn't play Gen 2 when it came out.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gastrodon is gen 3

Why does this happen?

I always forget that Slugma and Chinchou were introduced in Gen 2. I associate them much more strongly with Gen 3 in my mind.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Since Crystal, every Pokemon game has had an English name, even in Japanese. For example, Black and White aren't Kuro and Shiro, they're ブラック (Black) and ホワイト (White). Therefore, if the image was true, the titles would appear as キング (King) and クィーン (Queen).

So... in Japanese they are named the English words Black and White, but spelt phonetically?

oddium posted:

ZA WAIRUDO

And what does this mean?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silver Falcon posted:

So... in Japanese they are named the English words Black and White, but spelt phonetically?

And what does this mean?

Correct, yeah. That's the same for every main game since Crystal (for reference, バージョン ), only before that did the games use Japanese words (i.e., 赤 (Aka/Red), 金 (Kin/Gold)). Even there hiragana wasn't used, only kanji. so the hiragana titles shown are completely unfitting for Pokemon.

What that poster meant was "Za Warudo", a Jojo meme. It's literally how a Japanese person would pronounce "The World", the signature move of the third main villain (well, the first, who returns in the third part). Jojo's Stands are a similar situation here in that they're all English words, mostly spelt in katakana (with few exceptions that are just flat-out roman letters), though in Jojo's case it's because after Part 3 they're always named after songs.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Something I didn't know or perhaps forgot since my brother and I had Gold and Silver is that Pokemon have different sprites in each game. The only pair to do so.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

OhFunny posted:

Something I didn't know or perhaps forgot since my brother and I had Gold and Silver is that Pokemon have different sprites in each game. The only pair to do so.

Green had different sprites than red and blue, kinda counts.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Note Block posted:

I finally, finally caught my shiny Adamant Rhyhorn so now I have a spare shiny Rash Rhyhorn (and a spare shiny Sassy Scyther) if anyone is interested.

On another note, later in the day after breaking my chain, while Adamant was still turned on (as I don't know how to actually turn off the fortune teller's thingy) I ran into this au naturale beauty:.

I would love your shiny Scyther if it's still up for grabs! I'm going to try for an Adamant Rhyhorn myself if I ever catch this drat Bulbasaur I'm chaining for.

Also HG/SS are the best Pokemon games. I also enjoyed X/Y a ton, they brought me back to the franchise after I'd checked out after Diamond/Pearl.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nth Doctor posted:

This is y'alls reminder that the February 2019 international challenge registration is almost up. Register by Thursday 2/21/2019 23:59 UTC and then battle at least 3 times between Friday 2/22/2019 00:00 UTC and Sunday, February 24, 2019, at 23:59 UTC to eventually get a code for a shiny Tapu Bulu.

Sign up details are in the link and require online accounts at 3ds.pokemon-gl.com among other steps.
As of this posting, it is about 15 minutes after 16:00 UTC. You have just 7 hours 45 minutes to register for this tournament which gives shiny Tapu Bulu participation trophies.
Once it ticks over to 00:00 UTC you can begin battling. 3 battles is all you need.

Don't forget the battle step like I did last time they did this.

E: also, I couldn't tell you a drat thing about Carnivine. It's like that Pokemon just showed up one day and everyone acted like it's always been around. I have no clue what generation it is, how good it might be, nothing save for the knowledge it's a single stage.

Nth Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 21, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nth Doctor posted:

E: also, I couldn't tell you a drat thing about Carnivine. It's like that Pokemon just showed up one day and everyone acted like it's always been around. I have no clue what generation it is, how good it might be, nothing save for the knowledge it's a single stage.

I want to say it was from the Pearl Safari Zone.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i love carnivine

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what the gently caress

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Super No Vacancy posted:

what the gently caress

I had a carnivine, it wasn't terrible. Much better than Turtwig.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/QuevedoNicholas/status/1098349101190651905

There's a lot of wishful thinking out there that the next game will be based on the UK to the point most of the fakes now have agreed on King/Queen or Crown/Scepter

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

oddium posted:

i thought lanturn was gen 3 for a while

Same! I always forget that lanturn and chinchou are from gen 2.

They just feel so gen 3 for some reason.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If the next Pokémon game is you leading a revolution against the poke monarchy then I’m all for it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Doesn't bode well for my team of Kingler, Nidoking, Seaking, Slaking, Nidoqueen, and Vespiquen

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Have they been to Poke Australia yet?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like a game with only poison types would get old quickly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dienes posted:

I feel like a game with only poison types would get old quickly.

But enough about Kanto

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Iron Crowned posted:

Nope we have Poke-Japan(Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, Hoenn), Poke-Arizona(Orre), Poke-New York/New Jersey(Unova), Poke-France(Kalos), and Poke-Hawaii(Alola)

Which mwans we almost have as many regions based on the US as Japan now. Huh.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Poke-England, but instead of modern England it's victorian England and everything sucks and instead of battling Pokemon the aristocracy just battle using orphans.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Where is Rhyme City?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Where is Rhyme City?

It's never revealed, but it does take place in the same world as the other games.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I want poke-Kashmir

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Where is Rhyme City?

Given the abundance of Gen 5 Pokémon in the trailer, its only reasonable to think that it takes place in Unova.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ziddar posted:

Given the abundance of Gen 5 Pokémon in the trailer, its only reasonable to think that it takes place in Unova.

Er, what?

There's almost no Gen V pokemon in the trailer at all :psyduck:. Its hugely Gen I focused with a smattering of the rest. With the most prominent non gen I mons being the Gen VI villainous Greninja.

The biggest thing from the trailer is some of the posters in the kids room mentioning the Sinnoh championship. So maybe Sinnoh?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm still hoping the next gen is set in Poke-Brazil.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

MBS paid them to make poke-saudi arabia stay woke

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It's never been stated where Rhyme City is located. In the game, all we know is that it isn't Alola as the few Alolan Pokémon present in the later half of the game are seen as "exotic".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Zore posted:

Er, what?

There's almost no Gen V pokemon in the trailer at all :psyduck:. Its hugely Gen I focused with a smattering of the rest. With the most prominent non gen I mons being the Gen VI villainous Greninja.

The biggest thing from the trailer is some of the posters in the kids room mentioning the Sinnoh championship. So maybe Sinnoh?

The trailer includes Braviary, Bouffalant, Emolga, Golurk, Joltik, Audino, and Rufflet. None of them were major focus, but that's a lot more than "almost no" Pokémon.

Obviously Gen 1 pokemon are by far the largest focus in the trailer and will almost certainly be in the movie, but Gen 5 got some love and that makes me happy. :colbert:

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 21, 2019