Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1080p gamers, EVGA has a refurb 1060 6Gig for $150

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-6264-RX

I'm sure them clearing old stock has NOTHING to do with the impending 1660 launch, but its worth noting that the 1660's will likely all be $225+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
A quick PSA. Somehow I've managed to go the last 30 months or so, since I built my current system, with my RAM (2x8GB sticks) in a single channel configuration instead of dual channel. I've no idea how that happened because I'm usually quite careful about that sort of thing, but I think it was a combination of my previous motherboard having the dual channels arranged consecutively rather than alternately, and the color coding being two shades of gray with low contrast.

I've had my suspicions that my GTX 1070 was somehow being bottlenecked, but I just assumed it was the CPU (i5-6600K), despite third party benchmarks suggesting that shouldn't really be the case. And I haven't been getting bad performance out of the GTX 1070, quite the contrary, but because I typically run stuff at 1440p, I just assumed it was perfectly normal to have to nudge various visual settings down from Ultra to Very High/High and go for a very basic AA setting to get framerates in the 45-60fps region. Other games (such as Doom) were staying at 60fps fine.

Last night I just so happened to come across some optimizing guide for Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Someone with a GTX 1070 was having framerate issues and while everyone was offering useful troubleshooting advice, one solution stood out, where it was recommended he check to see if his RAM was running in dual channel mode because many Ubisoft games can be quite RAM dependent. My initial reaction was, "Well, I'm not sure that'll help me, I'm 99% positive my RAM's dual channel because I always make sure it is!" And various replies to that suggestion suggested the performance difference between single channel and dual channel was near enough zero. But something compelled me to fire up CPU-Z, hit the memory tab, and sure enough my RAM was being reported as running in a single channel configuration. Five minutes later, I'd opened up my machine, swapped one of the sticks into its rightful slot, closed her up again, ready to fire up Odyssey to see if it had made any difference (and expecting there to be nothing).

HOLY loving poo poo.

It was like I'd upgraded my video card. Not only was Odyssey running at 60fps in 1440p, but I was able to crank all the settings up to maximum. I rode my horse around crowded areas, got into fights, no framerate dips whatsoever. Solid 60ps. I then started firing up other games. Watch Dogs 2? I previously had to turn a lot of poo poo way down to even get 45fps at 1440p, and even then the framerate wavered between 30-45fps and driving a car around anywhere would result in uneven framerates. Now I was able to crank everything up to Ultra and was driving around without any framerate issues. Tried a bunch of other stuff where I'd previously had to make small compromises -- Far Cry 5/New Dawn, Dishonored 2, Prey, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Hitman, Project Cars 2, No Man's Sky, The Witcher 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 4, etc. Everything was now running a buttery smooth 60fps at max settings.

Long story short, if you suspect your video card is underperforming vs. similar setups, CHECK YOUR RAM CHANNEL CONFIGURATION! And ignore anyone who says single vs. dual doesn't matter, because for me the difference in performance was like night and day. Now I feel like a right loving chump having gone so long with so much untapped power under the hood of my GTX 1070, but at the same time it's so liberating to get such a significant boost without having to spend a single dime.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Retroblique posted:

CHECK YOUR RAM CHANNEL CONFIGURATION!

I had the same problem. On the Gigabyte board I was working on I put them in consecutively when you're supposed to stagger them. Luckily I downloaded HWinfo64 and double checked right after I installed windows or I wouldn't have known. Also make sure you have XMP on

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Gay Retard posted:

Yeah, it's basically a demo for a bunch of boring AAA FPS titles. It just seems like a silly value proposition, especially since we're talking about first generation tech that will likely need to be replaced more quickly. We're looking at a couple years before raytracing becomes widespread, and by then, we'll be looking at huge leaps in GPU raytracing performance.

I know you're trying to justify your costly GPU, but right now seems like the worst time to chase 4K/60FPS performance when we're right around the corner with new consoles setting the standard for gaming development.

I don’t want to break your narrowed view of the world with realitychecks, and I will chime in when it comes to mock nvidia for the penetration of prices and questionable design decisions, but
1.) I bought the 2080Ti because she was the fastest gamer GPU in November and she is an amazing beast for 1440p

2.) you are completely clueless and ignorant as Raytracing is a tech of almost 4 decades already, and you think it must „widespread“ lol, please educate yourself. Raytracing Talk was everywhere sexy since Terminator 2 and that was like 27 years ago

3.) the RTX GPUs, especially the Quadros and to a lesser extent, the Titans, are the holy grail in the automotive industry for rendering the customer cars and modeling them in real time with shiny effects incl. real-time Raytracing, please educate yourself here as well.

4.) Raytracing is easy to implement now because gfx designers had to „paint“ the light and reflections while designing the levels, and that’s why lights and reflections might look beautiful in old games but in few cases „realistic“.
Raytracing for consumer and gamer cards is a literal development and game changer here.

5.) Nvida spent loving millions of money in engineering and resources, and you call that „luck“ when it comes to the RTX future lmao

6.) Pretend to be surprised the moment AMD joins the Raytracing in Games gang because now they are forced to react as RTX will be a future selling incentive on GPUs

Can I call someone retarded that names himself Retard?

Edit, and oh I missed a point where you were wrong as well, just keep your momentum, Retard:
The next console generation will lose the yellow gfx and feature cycling shirt the moment they won’t implement new tech like RTX or special tech features.
Raytracing will follow several evolution steps in gaming from now and leave consoles graphics more and more behind.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 21, 2019

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Just lmao at people unironically saying the phrase “waste of money” in the GPU thread

p sure if you even say the phrase “pc gaming” youre in the hole for $1500

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
I, for one, are appreciative enough that poverty hardware in the ps4 and xbone are good enough for a mediocre to moderate 4k experience.

With all the hubub of RTX being a bit of a mess, I'm replacing my R9 Nano with a cheap 1070 for my media and lounge room PC. Currently limited to 30hz thanks to the nano's lovely hdmi ports on my 4k projector (well...3840x1080 with vert pixel shift) and this was the cheapest way to get better performance with the HDMI 2.0 spec. I could hook up my workstation with the 1080ti (and might do that!) but I'm still getting great performance out of my 2500k and I'm hopeful that the 1070 will be a bit of fun to play with.

It's really annoying that AMD chose to cheapen out on display connectivity for that line, I've been somewhat attached to this card, but it's probably Stockholm syndrome and the promise of what the Fury line could have been.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Mr.PayDay posted:

1.) I bought the 2080Ti because she was the fastest gamer GPU in November and she is an amazing beast for 1440p
d?

I've been calling my GPU a he all this time. Does that make me gay?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Purgatory Glory posted:

I've been calling my GPU a he all this time. Does that make me gay?

my card is clean, no female on blower

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross posting from the parts picking thread as I got conflicting opinions over there:

Would getting a new 1070 TI be a bad idea? I’m keen to upgrade my 970 and there is a good deal on 1070 TIs now I guess because they are going EOL. They are going for $700 NZD and it’s the Asus Advanced version if that’s relevant.

I would spring for a 2070 but they are $300 NZD more. The 2060s are $100 cheaper than the 170 TI.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

Cross posting from the parts picking thread as I got conflicting opinions over there:

Would getting a new 1070 TI be a bad idea? I’m keen to upgrade my 970 and there is a good deal on 1070 TIs now I guess because they are going EOL. They are going for $700 NZD and it’s the Asus Advanced version if that’s relevant.

I would spring for a 2070 but they are $300 NZD more. The 2060s are $100 cheaper than the 170 TI.

It depends on what your target gaming set up is. What's your CPU + monitor? If you're pushing a high refresh rate monitor or a 1440p monitor then it might be worth it

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mr.PayDay posted:

I don’t want to break your narrowed view of the world with realitychecks, and I will chime in when it comes to mock nvidia for the penetration of prices and questionable design decisions, but

2.) you are completely clueless and ignorant as Raytracing is a tech of almost 4 decades already, and you think it must „widespread“ lol, please educate yourself. Raytracing Talk was everywhere sexy since Terminator 2 and that was like 27 years ago

3.) the RTX GPUs, especially the Quadros and to a lesser extent, the Titans, are the holy grail in the automotive industry for rendering the customer cars and modeling them in real time with shiny effects incl. real-time Raytracing, please educate yourself here as well.

4.) Raytracing is easy to implement now because gfx designers had to „paint“ the light and reflections while designing the levels, and that’s why lights and reflections might look beautiful in old games but in few cases „realistic“.
Raytracing for consumer and gamer cards is a literal development and game changer here.

5.) Nvida spent loving millions of money in engineering and resources, and you call that „luck“ when it comes to the RTX future lmao

6.) Pretend to be surprised the moment AMD joins the Raytracing in Games gang because now they are forced to react as RTX will be a future selling incentive on GPUs

Can I call someone retarded that names himself Retard?

Edit, and oh I missed a point where you were wrong as well, just keep your momentum, Retard:
The next console generation will lose the yellow gfx and feature cycling shirt the moment they won’t implement new tech like RTX or special tech features.
Raytracing will follow several evolution steps in gaming from now and leave consoles graphics more and more behind.

I was just making fun of the fact that you were comparing the performance of your $1500+ gaming rig to a $350 PS4 Pro.

Ray-tracing sure doesn't seem like something I need to have at this point, though. Maybe next gen.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Red_Fred posted:

The 1070 Ti and 2060 have similar performance so if the 2060 is cheaper I would get that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Retroblique posted:

A quick PSA. Somehow I've managed to go the last 30 months or so, since I built my current system, with my RAM (2x8GB sticks) in a single channel configuration instead of dual channel. I've no idea how that happened because I'm usually quite careful about that sort of thing, but I think it was a combination of my previous motherboard having the dual channels arranged consecutively rather than alternately, and the color coding being two shades of gray with low contrast.

I've had my suspicions that my GTX 1070 was somehow being bottlenecked, but I just assumed it was the CPU (i5-6600K), despite third party benchmarks suggesting that shouldn't really be the case. And I haven't been getting bad performance out of the GTX 1070, quite the contrary, but because I typically run stuff at 1440p, I just assumed it was perfectly normal to have to nudge various visual settings down from Ultra to Very High/High and go for a very basic AA setting to get framerates in the 45-60fps region. Other games (such as Doom) were staying at 60fps fine.

Last night I just so happened to come across some optimizing guide for Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Someone with a GTX 1070 was having framerate issues and while everyone was offering useful troubleshooting advice, one solution stood out, where it was recommended he check to see if his RAM was running in dual channel mode because many Ubisoft games can be quite RAM dependent. My initial reaction was, "Well, I'm not sure that'll help me, I'm 99% positive my RAM's dual channel because I always make sure it is!" And various replies to that suggestion suggested the performance difference between single channel and dual channel was near enough zero. But something compelled me to fire up CPU-Z, hit the memory tab, and sure enough my RAM was being reported as running in a single channel configuration. Five minutes later, I'd opened up my machine, swapped one of the sticks into its rightful slot, closed her up again, ready to fire up Odyssey to see if it had made any difference (and expecting there to be nothing).

HOLY loving poo poo.

It was like I'd upgraded my video card. Not only was Odyssey running at 60fps in 1440p, but I was able to crank all the settings up to maximum. I rode my horse around crowded areas, got into fights, no framerate dips whatsoever. Solid 60ps. I then started firing up other games. Watch Dogs 2? I previously had to turn a lot of poo poo way down to even get 45fps at 1440p, and even then the framerate wavered between 30-45fps and driving a car around anywhere would result in uneven framerates. Now I was able to crank everything up to Ultra and was driving around without any framerate issues. Tried a bunch of other stuff where I'd previously had to make small compromises -- Far Cry 5/New Dawn, Dishonored 2, Prey, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Hitman, Project Cars 2, No Man's Sky, The Witcher 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 4, etc. Everything was now running a buttery smooth 60fps at max settings.

Long story short, if you suspect your video card is underperforming vs. similar setups, CHECK YOUR RAM CHANNEL CONFIGURATION! And ignore anyone who says single vs. dual doesn't matter, because for me the difference in performance was like night and day. Now I feel like a right loving chump having gone so long with so much untapped power under the hood of my GTX 1070, but at the same time it's so liberating to get such a significant boost without having to spend a single dime.

:psypop: Holy poo poo thank you for posting this, I just downloaded that program and checked my PC and found that I've been in single channel for the last 3 years too. Just fixed it now though!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
bought a used EVGA 1070ti because I just can't stomach buying the current 2000 series at this price point

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
When you buy a motherboard please read the manual closely, the layout is not always obvious

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

K8.0 posted:

Yeah, objectively speaking PC gaming is the strongest it's ever been. Console exclusives are almost entirely dead,

lol this forum at times

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

When you buy a motherboard please read the manual closely, the layout is not always obvious

You don't need to read the manual if you just fill all four slots! :homebrew:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Gay Retard posted:

Things ARE different now, though. I'd rather play an optimized 4K/60FPS game on a next gen console over a PC that can't reach the same performance. I'm not saying PC gaming will die, but the value proposition will get even worse.
Yeah, it's not that there won't be advantages always on the PC, but it becomes diminishing returns. A platform doesn't need to beat its competition in every area, it just has to be 'good enough' where its advantages outweigh the drawbacks. With the next-gen consoles likely to have 16+ GB, decent CPU's, backwards compatibility (and likely enhancements for existing games), variable-refresh rate support - the list of definite, obvious advantages PC has starts to shrink more than it already has.

I mean the argument that 'there's no point to consoles because they're basically PC's' is just so laughably disconnected with how byzantine most people who aren't PC gamers find the platform. There is just so much niggling little poo poo that you deal with quickly on the PC if you're experienced that you take for granted that is just an insurmountable wall to someone not versed in it, and they shouldn't be expected to. There's a massive gulf in ease-of-use between the two platforms, despite console games getting 'patches'. It's just not remotely comparable. This is still true even if a game works perfectly, the ridiculous number of PC game launchers now each with their own UI, friends list, achievements (when they have them), different logins - all of that is not an issue with a console and a standardized interface and network.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 21, 2019

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

isndl posted:

You don't need to read the manual if you just fill all four eight slots! :homebrew:

FTFY

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I sold my old mb/cpu/ram to my brother when I upgraded recently, and discovered while helping him upgrade that he had for years been using a single 16gb stick of ram.

eames
May 9, 2009

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Imagine how many PCs out there running are single-channel RAM because of that video guide by The Verge. :ohdear:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is from a long time ago, but I gave a computer with 512MB of BH5 in it set to 200-2 at some point they took it to a local shop that "upgraded" it to 1GB of 166-3 memory and kept the original sticks.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Any word/rumors/wild speculation on some sort of 1050ish equivalent for Turing? I'm looking to get the latest NVENC but not keen on the pricing of the latest cards.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gyrotica posted:

Any word/rumors/wild speculation on some sort of 1050ish equivalent for Turing? I'm looking to get the latest NVENC but not keen on the pricing of the latest cards.

Videocardz says next month, supposedly:

https://videocardz.com/newz/confirmed-nvidia-to-launch-geforce-gtx-1650-next-month

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

With the next-gen consoles likely to have 16+ GB, decent CPU's, backwards compatibility (and likely enhancements for existing games), variable-refresh rate support - the list of definite, obvious advantages PC has starts to shrink more than it already has.

I'm still waiting to see what the prices they think they can command with such hardware is going to be. 16GB of RAM right now is at least $100 by itself. With the PS4 Pro still selling for $400, I wouldn't be surprised to see the first wave of next-gen consoles launching at $5-600. Inflation alone would bump the PS4's launch price to ~$450 in 2019, and some of those guts have actually gotten more expensive in the last 5 years.

It's always an iterative thing, too: consoles launch a new generation with pretty solid price:performance vs PCs, then within a year or two PCs are running loops around them again because they've bumped up another generation of CPU/GPUs. 6 years later, when it's about the end of a console's lifetime, PCs are hilariously ahead. Then another console gen drops and the cycle starts all over again.

Backwards compatibility is also a real shot in the dark. PCs can manage it because they're still basically the same platform that they've been for the last 20+ years, more or less. The work to put together emulators for a PS1, 2, 3, and 4, is non-trivial, and almost certainly not going to be offered for free. Look at Nintendo: they've got a pretty healthy back catalog, but by no means is it anywhere near complete, and you get to play your old games by buying them all over again.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Vega 56 for $250AR with the 3 game pack:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137263

Blower and 1660 is about to drop, but that price is pretty impressive for the performance.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
:eyepop:

$250 AR, AND RE2 remastered AND DMC5? drat, if I could upgrade right now, I would.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Red_Fred posted:

Get a 2060 or 1660 1660ti should be out sooooooon.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

craig588 posted:

This is from a long time ago, but I gave a computer with 512MB of BH5 in it set to 200-2 at some point they took it to a local shop that "upgraded" it to 1GB of 166-3 memory and kept the original sticks.

I saw a works computer come back from the shop with its processor replaced, dual core to single core. All it went in for was a reinstall.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

isndl posted:

You don't need to read the manual if you just fill all four slots! :homebrew:

And stability issues mean you'd still get slightly worse performance than reading the manual and spending $$$s filling two slots!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I saw a works computer come back from the shop with its processor replaced, dual core to single core. All it went in for was a reinstall.

I live in the middle of nowhere, such that there are no big box stores and any small computer shops never last. All they have is an old retired teacher with no IT background advertising on the facebook buy and sell groups his services which are worthless. Worse, he is dishonest. I've seen and heard of things like people bringing him computers with minor issues, and him swindling them into trading their pc to him for a "working" replacement (+cash from them), which as recent as last year could be some vista piece of poo poo that overheats too much to lay on your lap, then he turns around and resells their original one. Swapping out drives and memory, its unreal. The extent of his knowledge is looking up how to factory reset that model, doing that, and installing a pirated copy of office 2007. When I moved back from the city when work dried up for me, I started my own business because obviously the area needed someone that actually knew something. I commented on a fb post in which someone recommended him with a sarcastic answer, and he ended up going to his lawyer and having a cease and desist sent to me for it.

Anyway. Been looking at the 2080 FTW3, and it somehow went down to 1049 CAD on Newegg yesterday. The lower XC2 was 1169 or something still, had to be a mistake. I had just ordered my motherboard so I couldn't jump at it right then. Its 1349 today. I'm gonna end up having to go with a 2070, I just cant drop 8 or 900 bucks on a used 1080ti. I'm only doing 1440p anyway but I dont want any compromises or frame rates below 100

and re: memory. Someone commented on a pic of my build on pcp and said my memory was installed wrong. I second guessed myself for a second, then realized I had read the manual and in fact installed it in 1 & 3, they were just positioned as 2 and 4 relative to the CPU.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 21, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

also i would check your PCIe bus speed with GPU-Z occasionally, especially with heavy videocards or after moving your case. I've had lots of cards become ever so slightly unseated, which leads to the motherboard negotiating to like a 1x or 2x lane width. a few times it was like that for weeks before i noticed.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Gay Retard posted:

I was just making fun of the fact that you were comparing the performance of your $1500+ gaming rig to a $350 PS4 Pro.

Ray-tracing sure doesn't seem like something I need to have at this point, though. Maybe next gen.

Yeah I get where you are coming from and I am aware that only few people will share my enthusiasm as I was fascinated of Raytracing on the Amiga 500 since the late 80‘s.

The fact is still that the PS4 Pro can’t even render in native 4K.
XBox One X calls this 4K enhanced and can push Forza 7 to 60 fps at 4K while the 2080 and 1080Ti break 90 fps with even 8xMSAA.
It is not even close.
And you don’t need to buy a 2080Ti to get better and faster graphics than the consoles, would you agree?

So the new consoles of MS and Sony surely will allow 4K native gaming at „guaranteed“ 60 fps in 2020.
That’s where Navi and the 21xx series will be or are already released with RTX features and stuff.
The gap won’t be closed, PC Gaming will be superior graphicwise.
BUT the exclusive titles are the System sellers, not the gfx, I know.

And we all know, there will be a different pricetag forever, PC gaming will cost more when it comes to all hardware pieces, easily 200-300% more, depending on your rig.
But better and more beautiful graphics has a price, literally.
Faster cars with bigger motorblocks and more horsepower are usually more expensive, too, right?

I for one would be so stupid to buy a PlayStation 5 Special Performance Edition with 4K at 100 fps and Raytracing Features at 4K60 fps for 899 Euro, instantly.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Consoles do and will continue to shape the release of all PC games for the foreseeable future regardless of hardware power differential. If anyone is obsessed with any hardware features they should pray that those features are included in the next PlayStation and Xbox, or you are looking at a handful of games providing middling support.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cygni posted:

also i would check your PCIe bus speed with GPU-Z occasionally, especially with heavy videocards or after moving your case. I've had lots of cards become ever so slightly unseated, which leads to the motherboard negotiating to like a 1x or 2x lane width. a few times it was like that for weeks before i noticed.

Good tip, and also GPU-Z has a button to exercise the link to ensure you get to gen3. Most cards train down to gen1 speeds when relatively idle to save power.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rabid Snake posted:

It depends on what your target gaming set up is. What's your CPU + monitor? If you're pushing a high refresh rate monitor or a 1440p monitor then it might be worth it

Currently I’m running 1080p setup (well technically it’s two 1080x1200 monitors but I only game on one screen). And my CPU is a i5-9600k.

Looking at maybe going for 1440p with high refresh this year some time though.

eames
May 9, 2009

Cygni posted:

Vega 56 for $250AR with the 3 game pack:

this is the point where I regret buying a G-Sync screen. :smith:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

eames posted:

this is the point where I regret buying a G-Sync screen. :smith:

They've generally held their value very well, if you want to flip it!

E: Already out of stock...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Man playing catchup.

The words about PC Gaming dying to consoles came up again and woah, it's like 2013 or something all over again.

Though on the year of 2013 was about the time I built my current rig that is still kicking. While it is a bit more expensive than a console even with depreciation and possibly buying 2 or more consoles over that time to either keep up/have one of each to play all the exclusive games, PC Gaming still reins supreme for things like VR, High Res gaming, and overall flexibility. This old X79 (with QUAD Channel Ram. :smug: and PCIE-3.0 (Which had to be enabled through a quick reg entry that tells the Nvidia drivers to stop limiting it to 2.0 after every Driver install...) is still one mean Gaming, Video Editing/Rendering, work/play station.

Another cool thing I did happen upon was Parsec which allows you to stream your PC over your network to wherever you want. I was eyeballing some Cloud Gaming services just to experiment with some stuff, happened upon Parsec, and holy crap does it work rather well even over my limited 10Mbit Comcast upload. The latency is low enough that I can play things like Sea of Thieves or Destiny 2 reasonably well remotely at work. It may not be quite good enough with my internet to do say really serious PVP, but for the most part everything is playable and when both ends have good Hardware Acceleration (So not like my current work setup which has a lowly 9800GT in it) it looks and actuall has even less latency. (If you don't have good Hardware Acceleration, then it's more of a deceleration and your input/visual lag will get worse and worse which is really weird... So you have to turn it off when that happens but even Software Decoding on the receiving end works ok.

Speaking of people finding out after literally years that they are running In Single Channel mode, if anyone would like a quick look over of their setup to see if there are ways to Optimize it, Overclock Guidance, or anything else related to their system such as even troubleshooting Windows stuff, you can always PM me or hit me up in one of the many SA discords I hang out in. I'm always willing to lend a helping hand to optimize current hardware and help others get the best out of their systems.

I am dying to get my hands on a new build for someone, but I can't say I am going to be building a new rig for myself anytime soon as I just don't yet see the need. A new GPU is certainly on the table sometime here... But the rest of this old rig, especially since I even got nVME booting to work on it, really is killing it even today.

The most :effort: thing I do have to do eventually is my Reinstall and migration to the nVME drive. I don't want to just Clone my current install over as it's due for a clean slate reinstall, it just takes time and effort I don't really care to do just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Separate post because it's semi unrelated to the above, is $650~ a good price for a 2080? Not sure if it comes with any games but recently Frys has been sending out e-mails about the first 40 people to show up on X day get a 20% off coupon on nearly anything in the store. While I would really like a 2080Ti if I was going to upgrade to juts be done with any hardware upgrades for this old thing probably until my actual next build, a 2080 would still be a rather solid jump up from a 980Ti.