Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Tom Clancy on The Sum of All Fears based upon the responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
might be a music vid but any ID

https://twitter.com/archillect/status/1098336514059264009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kendrick Lamar - Loyalty

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A guy runs down the street while Modern Love plays. I think it's raining and at night, but I may be confusing it with a scene from Kiltro that was paying homage to it. Can't recall anything other than those basics and that a 2006 Chilean film homaged it.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Greta Gerwig does that (in black and white) in Frances Ha.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TTBF posted:

A guy runs down the street while Modern Love plays. I think it's raining and at night, but I may be confusing it with a scene from Kiltro that was paying homage to it. Can't recall anything other than those basics and that a 2006 Chilean film homaged it.
You're probably thinking of Mauvais Sang (Leos Carax, 1986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMHXugVlzSw

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Greta Gerwig does that (in black and white) in Frances Ha.

That's too new, because I remember whatever it was was older than Kiltro which released in 2006.

Coaaab posted:

You're probably thinking of Mauvais Sang (Leos Carax, 1986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMHXugVlzSw

I don't recall ever seeing this film but unless someone can come up with another pre-2006 film that did it (probably as homage to Mauvais Sang) I'm gonna guess this is it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hope I explain it clearly enough:

A middle aged woman divorces. Her father was a famous director and she moves back into his house. On a night out she ends up sleeping with a younger and man he and his two friends (who are trying to do a film) end up staying in her guest house. Hi-jinks ensue.

This one is a bit more difficult. It's either a Malay or Indonesian film. I think it's about a cop going undercover inside a prison and I think the initials are P.P.I., it was actually the sequel I saw. Wasn't great.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

bessantj posted:

This one is a bit more difficult. It's either a Malay or Indonesian film. I think it's about a cop going undercover inside a prison and I think the initials are P.P.I., it was actually the sequel I saw. Wasn't great.

Maybe SPL 2 ?
Sha Po Long 2 also known as Kill Zone 2 is about a Hong Kong undercover cop ending up in a Thai prison.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPL_II:_A_Time_for_Consequences

It's fine, though nowhere near as good as the fantastic first movie.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

BioTech posted:

Maybe SPL 2 ?
Sha Po Long 2 also known as Kill Zone 2 is about a Hong Kong undercover cop ending up in a Thai prison.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPL_II:_A_Time_for_Consequences

It's fine, though nowhere near as good as the fantastic first movie.

:aaa: That's it! And after my terrible description.

EDIT: The other film was Home Again.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 22, 2019

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

bessantj posted:

If you want an Indonesian film about a cop going undercover inside a prison and it also happens to be a sequel, you should watch The Raid 2. After watching the first one, of course (if you like brutal martial arts films).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bessantj posted:

EDIT: The other film was Home Again.

For a moment, I thought this said "Home Alone"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm trying to think of one of the many films which is a neo-noiry thriller where the final twist is the character is dead and that's why nothing makes sense. The differentiating features I recall are: the protagonist jumps off a bridge, and one of the characters has short trousers on because when he looks at him he's crouching down and so hitching his trousers up.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm trying to think of one of the many films which is a neo-noiry thriller where the final twist is the character is dead and that's why nothing makes sense. The differentiating features I recall are: the protagonist jumps off a bridge, and one of the characters has short trousers on because when he looks at him he's crouching down and so hitching his trousers up.

That's got to be Ryan Gosling in Stay; I haven't seen it in years, but that shorts thing sounded familiar, and the Wikipedia synopsis matches up. I remember finding it enjoyable enough, but there's apparently more to the twist than just "he's already dead", which I have no recollection of. I'm usually a sucker for the whole Reality Isn't What It Seems thing, but I guess it wasn't as memorable as I thought it was.

EDIT: Spoiler tags! Paranoid of me for a movie that's not current or terribly well-regarded, I know, but just in case.

Crackmaster fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 23, 2019

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Looking for a horror short from an anthology or TV series.

I saw it in the mid-90s and I believe it was made in the 90s or maybe the late 80s. I don't think it was a Tales from the Crypt episode, but perhaps an Outer Limits one.

Night time. Four people in business casual are leaving a bar or restaurant. They get to a car, maybe a black sedan, in the parking lot and get in. Somehow there's a monster or being under the car that picks off anyone who exits the car.
I remember the monster emitting a lot of light. It was very similar to Pennywise's deadlights from the IT miniseries.
The set is pretty much parking lot, brick facades, and chainlink fences.

I could be imaging this but I believe there were a couple of tropes involved. The guy who's Had Enough and steps outside and screams waiting to be taken. Or when it's the final two, the man runs one direction so the woman could flee in the other direction. But I don't think either makes it, I think there were no survivors.

If any one could help me ID this, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

ProperCoochie posted:

Looking for a horror short from an anthology or TV series.

I saw it in the mid-90s and I believe it was made in the 90s or maybe the late 80s. I don't think it was a Tales from the Crypt episode, but perhaps an Outer Limits one.

Night time. Four people in business casual are leaving a bar or restaurant. They get to a car, maybe a black sedan, in the parking lot and get in. Somehow there's a monster or being under the car that picks off anyone who exits the car.
I remember the monster emitting a lot of light. It was very similar to Pennywise's deadlights from the IT miniseries.
The set is pretty much parking lot, brick facades, and chainlink fences.

I could be imaging this but I believe there were a couple of tropes involved. The guy who's Had Enough and steps outside and screams waiting to be taken. Or when it's the final two, the man runs one direction so the woman could flee in the other direction. But I don't think either makes it, I think there were no survivors.

If any one could help me ID this, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Okay, so at first I thought this was some adaption of The Raft by Stephen King. I found out that there was a filmed version of that story that was part of a horror anthology.

However that has nothing to do with what I ended up finding. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332457/

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Polka_Rapper posted:

Okay, so at first I thought this was some adaption of The Raft by Stephen King. I found out that there was a filmed version of that story that was part of a horror anthology.

However that has nothing to do with what I ended up finding. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332457/
Beaten, though I did actually find the film itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpuhijUPf5c

Edit: and yeah, the description made me think of The Raft too. I believe the filmed version of that is one of the shorts in Creepshow 2.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Polka_Rapper posted:

Pilchenstein posted:

Beaten, though I did actually find the film itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpuhijUPf5c

Edit: and yeah, the description made me think of The Raft too. I believe the filmed version of that is one of the shorts in Creepshow 2.

Wow. Neat. Thanks guys. I thought of mentioning Showtime or Cinemax. In the mid-90s I randomly came across this piece right when it started and it seriously frightened me.
It's funny how some parts I remembered so well and others I wildly misremembered.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Crackmaster posted:

That's got to be Ryan Gosling in Stay; I haven't seen it in years, but that shorts thing sounded familiar, and the Wikipedia synopsis matches up. I remember finding it enjoyable enough, but there's apparently more to the twist than just "he's already dead", which I have no recollection of. I'm usually a sucker for the whole Reality Isn't What It Seems thing, but I guess it wasn't as memorable as I thought it was.

EDIT: Spoiler tags! Paranoid of me for a movie that's not current or terribly well-regarded, I know, but just in case.

Yes that's exactly. Thanks! I also didn't think it was bad but I found the trouser thing cute, so it stuck w/ me.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

ProperCoochie posted:

It's funny how some parts I remembered so well and others I wildly misremembered.
That’s Numberwang!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Speaking of, congratulations to Olivia Colman on her Oscar

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm trying to recommend this horror movie to my friend, but I'm stumped on the title.

It takes place in a hospital, and they're under siege by unkillable monsters and a crazy cult. The main guy is a cop with a dead (or missing?) wife, and there's a gruff guy he butts heads with who has a mute son. One patient goes into labor and it turns out she's in a league with the cult that unleashed the demons.

They go into the basement to fight the cult, and one surviving nurse is running around on the first floor chased by the cult and demons. The cop ends up wrestling the final demon into a portal and sees his wife again. The mute son makes it out of the basement and rescues the surviving nurse and they escape together.

It was from the past couple of years, I'm just blanking hard on the title.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm trying to recommend this horror movie to my friend, but I'm stumped on the title.

It takes place in a hospital, and they're under siege by unkillable monsters and a crazy cult. The main guy is a cop with a dead (or missing?) wife, and there's a gruff guy he butts heads with who has a mute son. One patient goes into labor and it turns out she's in a league with the cult that unleashed the demons.

They go into the basement to fight the cult, and one surviving nurse is running around on the first floor chased by the cult and demons. The cop ends up wrestling the final demon into a portal and sees his wife again. The mute son makes it out of the basement and rescues the surviving nurse and they escape together.

It was from the past couple of years, I'm just blanking hard on the title.

Sounds like The Void https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4255304/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bits of it also sound like John Carpenter's "Pro-Life", from season 2 of Masters of Horror.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Thanks a million! You got it!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Scene: Nighttime, gas station. A woman is having a bathroom emergency, and the key given to her by the gas station is attached to a hubcap. She is definitely very pissed (:v:) about having to run around with the key to get to the bathroom. Some sort of road trip.

I think this was a VHS movie, maybe some kind of rom-com. Very 80's/early-90's. Last seen over a decade ago but an idea came up at work, and we both remember the scene but not the film.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

Scene: Nighttime, gas station. A woman is having a bathroom emergency, and the key given to her by the gas station is attached to a hubcap. She is definitely very pissed (:v:) about having to run around with the key to get to the bathroom. Some sort of road trip.

I think this was a VHS movie, maybe some kind of rom-com. Very 80's/early-90's. Last seen over a decade ago but an idea came up at work, and we both remember the scene but not the film.

Can't remember the film, but now I'm reminded of something similar, but it was key attached to a cinder block.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Didn't something like that happen in "The Jerk"?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SkunkDuster posted:

Didn't something like that happen in "The Jerk"?

There's definitely a gas station scene in "The Jerk"

it mostly involves a sniper shooting at the jerk who comes to the conclusion that he's angry about these cans

Sustentacular
Aug 27, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

Kindergarten Cop! Arnie's partner was supposed to be the teacher but she came down with the stomach flu on the flight over leading to this scene as they drive into town.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I watched The Vanishing the other day and the scene where the killer dives into a canal to save a little girl reminded me of a scene from a different film that I'm having trouble placing...

A man who is on the run from someone (probably the police) is hiding out on a boat on a river/canal. It isn't his boat, he just came across it and hid under a tarp. A little girl comes by and finds him and they talk, and I believe her family comes up a few minutes later. The man is afraid they will recognize him but they do not. It might be a Japanese or Korean film but I'm not very sure of that, and it might also be in black and white but I'm not sure of that either.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Movie from the late 90's or early 00's where a bad guy or a rugged protagonist has a handheld scanner device. He sneaks into some place or whatever and finds a document he's looking for and waves the scanner over it and it scans the document instantly. This scanner device isn't central to the plot, it's just some random thing he has. The film doesn't take place in the future.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

codyclarke posted:

Movie from the late 90's or early 00's where a bad guy or a rugged protagonist has a handheld scanner device. He sneaks into some place or whatever and finds a document he's looking for and waves the scanner over it and it scans the document instantly. This scanner device isn't central to the plot, it's just some random thing he has. The film doesn't take place in the future.

one of the Mission Impossible movies maybe?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched The Vanishing the other day and the scene where the killer dives into a canal to save a little girl reminded me of a scene from a different film that I'm having trouble placing...

A man who is on the run from someone (probably the police) is hiding out on a boat on a river/canal. It isn't his boat, he just came across it and hid under a tarp. A little girl comes by and finds him and they talk, and I believe her family comes up a few minutes later. The man is afraid they will recognize him but they do not. It might be a Japanese or Korean film but I'm not very sure of that, and it might also be in black and white but I'm not sure of that either.

Does this happen in that terrible movie about the Boston bombings? Mark Wahlberg one?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No one responded to this in the Horror thread so I'll ask here:

Need some goon help with a film again, came out a couple years back and I think I posted about it and maybe even asked about it after (having forgotten the name). I can't remember. Anyway, the premise is a mother and son move into a new house and spooky poo poo starts happening as par for the course. I think it comes to the point where someone breaks in to rob or kill them and the creepy haunts start happening to them. But the twist is the mother and son are aliens/otherworldly being and that the hauntings are their powers at play. I think the son might not be fully in control of his or something. I remember at the end they move and the mother goes "Hopefully this next house won't be that bad." as they drive by a sign that says "Welcome to Amityville." I remember the film taking place around a lot of pine trees, definitely some north west small down type deal.

I remember being kinda lukewarm about the film but I liked the premise since it explained the haunts in a way I never saw before. I want to watch it again but all my searches come up empty, I'm curious if I'll enjoy the film more now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

This was a film I saw around 85, 86. It was a kid afraid that the school bully was going to beat him up, because some kid had, at a museum, wrote the bully's name beneath the image of a neanderthal.

I thought the film was called "Handelman's After You!", but I can't find anything by that title.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

This was a film I saw around 85, 86. It was a kid afraid that the school bully was going to beat him up, because some kid had, at a museum, wrote the bully's name beneath the image of a neanderthal.

I thought the film was called "Handelman's After You!", but I can't find anything by that title.

An ABC Afterschool Special "Pssst! Hammerman's After You!" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0331608/

I saw this when it first aired in 1974. After school, of course. :corsair:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Nose posted:

An ABC Afterschool Special "Pssst! Hammerman's After You!" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0331608/

It's on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lWz3CqClBg

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sir Nose posted:

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

gey muckle mowser posted:

one of the Mission Impossible movies maybe?

Nah, it was definitely a movie where one wouldn't assume those sorts of James Bond or Mission Impossible devices would appear. I remember it as just kind of a run of the mill suspense thriller. I remember it was the very first time I had seen a device like that, and it kind of took me out of the movie, cause it seemed too advanced and I couldn't stop thinking about the device.