Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I think I've actually been going to more shows as I get older, though that may be because I live in DC now. A lot easier for me to get to shows than it was in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

axelblaze posted:

Apparently Bowser is heading up Nintendo of America now. We clearly live on the most evil of all possible Earths

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1098665374114082816

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Some lucky/unlucky kid is now going to be able to say their uncle Bowser works at Nintendo and actually be telling the truth.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does the new A Star Is Born take place in Arizona? I saw two AZ flags in the trailer on a TV at a pizza place much now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Friends Are Evil posted:

I think I've actually been going to more shows as I get older, though that may be because I live in DC now. A lot easier for me to get to shows than it was in Florida.

Same, I'm in boston and live in walking distance of most of the shows I go to now although I've also become that guy who will do road trips for shows now if I really want to go to em (I went to Chicago for Jawbreaker a couple years ago, i'm going to New York for 108 this year). I moshed for the first time in years at a show in December. I would say i'm aging in reverse but my back and feet hurt all the time now.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Same, I'm in boston and live in walking distance of most of the shows I go to now although I've also become that guy who will do road trips for shows now if I really want to go to em (I went to Chicago for Jawbreaker a couple years ago, i'm going to New York for 108 this year). I moshed for the first time in years at a show in December. I would say i'm aging in reverse but my back and feet hurt all the time now.

Same! I started taking the commuter train up to Baltimore for stuff recently.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve definitely become more of a stand towards the back guy with shows, but next month I’m seeing The Hold Steady, and I feel like I would be doing them a disservice if I don’t get completely loaded and super into it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does the new A Star Is Born take place in Arizona? I saw two AZ flags in the trailer on a TV at a pizza place much now.

Bradley Cooper character is from Arizona, and even takes a trip there with Gaga.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What did you think of the Jawbreaker show? They were one of those bands where I loved 24 Hour Revenge Therapy because an older friend gave it to me when I was like 14 and listened to it on repeat, but they broke up before I could see them live and I never really got into anything else by them.

I saw them last fall in SF at the Fillmore and, well, that show was super underwhelming for me and the couple people I saw it with. It was the middle of a three show stint and they definitely went out of their way to not play hits (and a new song where Blake spent a couple minutes trying to make us realize how clever the lyrics were), and possibly the first or last show was better, but drat it was a disappointing show. My single biggest takeaway was "yep, Blake is insufferable and I completely see why they couldn't stay together."

Adam was cool as ever though, although he finally sold his old video store to the local Alamo Drafthouse (he had been operating out of their lobby for the last couple of years after he lost the lease on his old shop). Gonna miss him, he used to just randomly give me old Jawbreaker stickers and stuff whenever I would go in there and browse the shop. Even at the show he stayed onstage for longer than I stuck around just handing out stuff to people in the crowd and signing all the band posters (the Fillmore gives out a free poster to everyone at the show so there were a ton of posters).

Edit: they also had a standup as the first opener which was . . . odd. She was fine but you can't really get energized to a solo standup with a 15 minute set. Felt really bad for the second opener who had to come on after because the crowd was arguably even more sedate after standing around listening to a comedian for a while.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 21, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

Bradley Cooper character is from Arizona, and even takes a trip there with Gaga.

Ah neat. I'll have to watch it sometime. I wonder what he does for his dialect. There's no real Arizona dialect since most people aren't Arizona natives. Good state for witness relocation.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Cooper's accent in the film is, no joke, a Sam Elliot impression.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I started doing observational drawings recently at shows so I could really up my gesture game in my regular work, so people keep coming up to me and asking about the sketchbook.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Voodoofly posted:

The older I get the more I prefer random shows because random openers are now my favorite way to find new bands. I’m at the point where I just tell everyone to meet me at the show because I want to see every second of every opener. The real problem was band shirts as I had to put a self enforced rule that I will only buy two shirts max, which usually means I don’t buy Merch from the headliner so that I can support the openers

I never understood going just for the headliner, you bought the ticket, might as well enjoy the whole show. Although one of my favorite concert memories was going to Power Trip, Deafheaven, and Anthrax, but skipping out on Lamb of God as the headliner and getting home at a reasonable time.

Voodoofly posted:

Edit: they also had a standup as the first opener which was . . . odd. She was fine but you can't really get energized to a solo standup with a 15 minute set. Felt really bad for the second opener who had to come on after because the crowd was arguably even more sedate after standing around listening to a comedian for a while.

When I saw Dan Deacon back in 2012 or so, one of his openers was a weird comedy set with a computer projection thing, and I spent the whole time just thinking "man this is weird, whatever." A couple years ago, I realized that guy was Alan Resnick doing a trial run of Live Forever As You Are Now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I never understood going just for the headliner, you bought the ticket, might as well enjoy the whole show. Although one of my favorite concert memories was going to Power Trip, Deafheaven, and Anthrax, but skipping out on Lamb of God as the headliner and getting home at a reasonable time.

I usually try to see the whole show, but I've seen some dire opening bands in my day.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yeah, a year or two ago I went to a Menzingers show because I wanted to see Rozwell Kid and Jeff Rosenstock as the openers. We left about two songs into the Menzingers because we had a newborn and realized that, no offense to the band, we really would rather get more sleep than watch the Menzingers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

I usually try to see the whole show, but I've seen some dire opening bands in my day.

I’ll go see opening bands no problem but opening DJ sets are the worst and I actively try and avoid them

(posted from the back of a venue while an extremely boring DJ set is happening)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ll go see opening bands no problem but opening DJ sets are the worst and I actively try and avoid them

(posted from the back of a venue while an extremely boring DJ set is happening)

I'm sure there are good opening djs. there must be! but i have no evidence of this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

What did you think of the Jawbreaker show? They were one of those bands where I loved 24 Hour Revenge Therapy because an older friend gave it to me when I was like 14 and listened to it on repeat, but they broke up before I could see them live and I never really got into anything else by them.

I saw them last fall in SF at the Fillmore and, well, that show was super underwhelming for me and the couple people I saw it with. It was the middle of a three show stint and they definitely went out of their way to not play hits (and a new song where Blake spent a couple minutes trying to make us realize how clever the lyrics were), and possibly the first or last show was better, but drat it was a disappointing show. My single biggest takeaway was "yep, Blake is insufferable and I completely see why they couldn't stay together."

Adam was cool as ever though, although he finally sold his old video store to the local Alamo Drafthouse (he had been operating out of their lobby for the last couple of years after he lost the lease on his old shop). Gonna miss him, he used to just randomly give me old Jawbreaker stickers and stuff whenever I would go in there and browse the shop. Even at the show he stayed onstage for longer than I stuck around just handing out stuff to people in the crowd and signing all the band posters (the Fillmore gives out a free poster to everyone at the show so there were a ton of posters).

So I saw them at the big comeback set at Riot Fest and for me, it really lived up to the hype. Really well put together set, they sounded great, crowd was super into it. It was also the culmination of a very fun three day weekend for me - my first time in Chicago and i had a total blast, hung out with lots of fun people, just all around had a great time so I was really primed to enjoy it, but that set felt like something special. I'm going to see them again when they come to Boston next month so we'll see how I feel about it then.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Remember when Black Sabbath toured with an opener of Andrew W.K. playing a DJ set of party metal?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So I saw them at the big comeback set at Riot Fest and for me, it really lived up to the hype. Really well put together set, they sounded great, crowd was super into it. It was also the culmination of a very fun three day weekend for me - my first time in Chicago and i had a total blast, hung out with lots of fun people, just all around had a great time so I was really primed to enjoy it, but that set felt like something special. I'm going to see them again when they come to Boston next month so we'll see how I feel about it then.

Godspeed - I know my friend who saw them in LA on the same tour that I saw thought they were great. I'm really thinking/hoping I just had a bad night with them. For what its worth they sounded great and were super tight when I saw them, just lacking some energy and a few too many lectures from Blake about the songs he just played for us.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

Godspeed - I know my friend who saw them in LA on the same tour that I saw thought they were great. I'm really thinking/hoping I just had a bad night with them. For what its worth they sounded great and were super tight when I saw them, just lacking some energy and a few too many lectures from Blake about the songs he just played for us.

Haha i can see that. I actually really enjoyed his stage banter when i saw him, they opened with Boxcar and Blake immediately followed it with "General strike tomorrow, gently caress this country!" which out of all the "gently caress Trump" stuff espoused that weekend at the fest was one of the few things that felt like a political statement with any weight behind it

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Haha i can see that. I actually really enjoyed his stage banter when i saw him, they opened with Boxcar and Blake immediately followed it with "General strike tomorrow, gently caress this country!" which out of all the "gently caress Trump" stuff espoused that weekend at the fest was one of the few things that felt like a political statement with any weight behind it

We didn't get Boxcar that night. The only song we got from 24 Hour Revenge Therapy was Oakland Condition as the sole encore, complete with the Kerouac recordings being played over the PA.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Welcome back, Boogey.

I wanna see the cover letter of his application.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Bowser from Sha Na Na? (I don’t know if anyone will get this reference. I saw Sha Na Na at Sun City in about 1980 when I was 5. It was awesome.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Safety Factor posted:

I like seeing my favorite bands live. :shrug: The atmosphere is way different than listening to them at home and a good crowd can be magical.

The performance is an important aspect. Some bands aren't very good live, some of them are incredible and seeing them on stage makes the music take on a whole different life. I saw Perfume Genius when he toured his most recent album and the best way I could describe it was like a religious experience. I can't imagine wanting to miss something like that.

CelticPredator posted:

I have not, but I keep meaning too. I wanted to go to Hans Zimmer but I was working that night and couldn’t take it off.

Funny you mention CO’s stuff because the Colorado Symphony Orchestra is performing with Tenacious D, so that would be sick.

Watching a live scored silent film is probably a thing you'd enjoy. If one comes around I'd recommend that. I'd recommend it anyway, it's a really cool thing to go to.

Franchescanado posted:

Oh, well in that case, buy them all cinder block shoes and a trip to the nearest body of water.

My friends either liked horror but hadn't seen a lot of horror, or never got a chance to watch horror because of their SO's, or outright disliked horror. So I started my Spooky Nights to have everyone together so I could give them a Horror 101 and show them a horror movie they'd like. Now they all actively love horror movies (though they tend to wait for me to host another Spooky Night instead of seek it out themselves).

My friend's fiance, the one that likes sci-fi and comedies, is difficult. She doesn't like gore, and she doesn't like visceral violence. So I inform her whenever we're doing a Spooky Night whether she can handle it or not. But that's not good enough for her. She just doesn't like trying new things. We watched The Endless because it's something she would really like--not overtly horrific, no real violence or gore, interesting premise, solid characters--and even then she was was resistant. By the end she loved it, but she's one of those people that would rather scan available rentals for half an hour rather than give a film the same time to win you over.

My best friend gets frustrated by it, but he's so passive. So I get stuck bullying her into watching something because she's so drat picky.

I always find it weird when couples can't do things separately or one of them will go without something they enjoy because the other doesn't like it. It's also really obnoxious when you try to invite the one that likes the thing.

TrixRabbi posted:

Getting old is underrated. Like, I'm not never gonna go to a concert again, but I'm done just going to random shows for the hell of going, I want to make sure it's a band I care about.

Like I saw Mischief Brew twice before he died and they were two of the best shows I've ever been to (one with Subhumans headlining), so always worth actually doing the thing.

I don't go to as many concerts as I use to but that has less to do with age and more to do with declining mental health. At this point I stick to things I absolutely must see, but even then I decide against a lot of poo poo (and usually regret it). I did just get tickets to Beck in August though and I'm very much looking forward to that. I wish he would have done a smaller venue like last time but you can't have everything.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

A lot of openers are either incredibly bland or outright terrible. I did see the Screaming Females open for the Dead Weather about ten years ago, so that was pretty cool. It probably depends greatly on the kind of music you're into as to whether or not the openers will be interesting.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Remember when Black Sabbath toured with an opener of Andrew W.K. playing a DJ set of party metal?

I was at one of those shows which was at an outdoor venue and pretty much no one was watching that. We were walking around the area away from the stage with the food vendors and stuff and occasionally you could hear him yell something to no fanfare.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I didn't go to see any live music until I was like 26, when I got to go see the Pixies live, and the second they started, I realized what a huge mistake it was waiting so long to finally go and see and experience poo poo like that. I've been to hundreds of shows since then, and the good experiences outweigh the bad by a wide margin.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I saw Shonen Knife last summer and the opening band was a lovely, like, Van Halen soundalike made up of 20-somethings with a song called “gently caress the KGB.”

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

therattle posted:

Bowser from Sha Na Na? (I don’t know if anyone will get this reference. I saw Sha Na Na at Sun City in about 1980 when I was 5. It was awesome.)

You're Wolfman Hot Dog?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Morpheus’ battery explanation has always been horseshit. What the machines have been doing is wasting energy on keeping humanity alive & happy.

Smith himself disagrees with how the Matrix is run, however, because he lives there. He lives on Earth, in 1999, and he sees the looming catastrophes facing his world. When he talks about how humans expand and consume everything like viruses, he’s talking about capitalism. Of course he is the enemy of the libertarians.

Then, Smith is not simply killed at the end of Matrix 1. Instead, Neo forces himself into Smith’s body - then Smith’s skin splits and falls off like a chrysalis to reveal a glowing figure. That’s ‘The One’.

What’s going on here is that Neo has colonized Smith’s body and literally become the new Smith, while the actual Smith (a Proto-Christ figure along the lines of HAL 9000) is crucified and his body spread like communion.

Morpheus’ crew are all people of color, women, queer, etc. But there’s no contradiction between that fact and them being libertarian conspiracy theorists. What the film demonstrates is the seductive appeal of libertarianism to marginalized people, who miss that it provides more liberty for certain people than for others (see also: Get Out).

I forgot to reply to this. But anyway I think you've made a compelling case here. I'm still not entirely sure if I agree but in all honesty part of that is because of a bias. I'd much rather the characters be some sort of freedom fighters rather than a cult like bunch of scam artists. I really need to watch this again sometime soon. Though in any case I think there's room for it to be seen either way but I haven't watched the movie in years.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I can tell I’m getting old because the last time my group did game night, I was really excited to play Monopoly, and it was the most excited I was about anything all week.

I hate you for playing Monopoly. I hate you so much. I need you to understand that my friend playing Monopoly, as someone who sells board games, is like being kicked in the nards

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I hate you for playing Monopoly. I hate you so much. I need you to understand that my friend playing Monopoly, as someone who sells board games, is like being kicked in the nards

If it's like the only board game you have it's acceptable to play monopoly

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best life band is Æla.

Also just the best band. Especially their first album.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CPL593H posted:

I forgot to reply to this. But anyway I think you've made a compelling case here. I'm still not entirely sure if I agree but in all honesty part of that is because of a bias. I'd much rather the characters be some sort of freedom fighters rather than a cult like bunch of scam artists. I really need to watch this again sometime soon. Though in any case I think there's room for it to be seen either way but I haven't watched the movie in years.

They’re both. As he points out, it’s not that they know the ultimate consequence of libertarianism is a kind of soft feudalism, but that they are seduced by the promise of total personal freedom after a lifetime of very personal oppression. They’re fighting for freedom, but their understanding of what freedom means is insufficient, because it has no concept of class and caste hierarchy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best life band is Æla.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds circa 2000 - 2003 would like a word.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

I'd rather do literally anything else than play Monopoly. Anything.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Safety Factor posted:

I'd rather do literally anything else than play Monopoly. Anything.

Munchkin?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Munchkin?
Oh no. :negative:

Yes, I would rather play loving Munchkin of all things than Monopoly. And I loving hate Munchkin.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Binding of Isaac card game is surprisingly fun.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

Yeah but he has access to someone who can tell him what games to get for board game night

Ones that are good

And not Monopoly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Safety Factor posted:

Oh no. :negative:

Yes, I would rather play loving Munchkin of all things than Monopoly. And I loving hate Munchkin.

Fluxx? Catan? Exploding Kittens? Cards Against Humanity? I can keep going.