Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

holy poo poo everything does come full circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VH4Ever posted:

Honestly? FF and Grohl himself aren't necessarily the smartest people. Grohl himself would admit that, I mean he dropped out of high school to join a punk band. So in all likelihood someone got to the bass player, and the bass player sold the poo poo out of it and Dave went "OK, whatever." This was pre-almost breakup so it's fair to say a lot has changed since then.

Yeah there was a really smart guy in a band with Dave Grohl but it turns out he killed himself. He was murdered.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

One of the best things about watching 80's music history videos on youtube is seeing how loving many of them culminate in "And just when they were ready to capitalize on their success... Nevermind was released, and everything they had done turned to ashes overnight." That poo poo cut through the music industry like a loving chainsaw, clearing out the dead wood in a way nothing really has since.

This is the only derail in this thread that isn't a derail.
Because Nirvana had a gigantic impact on United States politics. And a lot of people will say "The Pixies were already making the same type of music, and better, years before" (and then other people will say "Its just 'Pixies', not 'The Pixies'").
Some of it was that Nirvana got lucky. In retrospect, listening to Nevermind, its not especially innovative musically, a lot of it doesn't seem awesome to me now. But they had just the right message at just the right time. I was 11 years old during the Gulf War in 1991, and Vanilla Ice was the greatest thing. About a year later, around the time I am turning 13, Bill Clinton is president and going to the mall and wearing acid washed jeans is replaced with Nirvana and scowling confrontational young men in plaid.
Some of that is because this change happened just as I was entering adolescence, but yes, Nirvana did change youth culture and politics in a way that would be hard to explain today.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Foo Fighters are awesome and Dave Grohl is somehow even more awesome than that. :colbert:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This is a first as a campaign issue, isn't it? Seems like a real big deal, especially with Harris looking like the establishment pick.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Man 2020 Dem primaries are gonna be lit.

If we get an actual honest to god discussion of reparations I don't even know.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

This isn't about "I told you", I was skeptical of it being a hoax until today. But people not being able to express doubts with Smollett's version of events without being called racist bootlickers is pretty lovely.

Plenty of people expressed justified doubts and weren't poo poo on for it, nice gaslighting tho

twice burned ice posted:

Vital signs is essentially Peven Stan without the Han superiority complex. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's progressive peacocking for its own sake.
god you want to say "virtue signaling" so bad huh

twice burned ice posted:

There were however several people rushing in to shout 'I told you so!' and the backlash to that is understandable.

Exactly. And these were the people being poo poo on, not the people who were like "hm I dunno this new evidence looks bad"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Koalas March posted:

Tbf if all they hear is KKKamilla, Ariana, BeBe Rexha and poo poo on the radio I get it.

But we have Janelle Monae, SZA, Lizzo, Vagabon, Alexis Brown and Leyla McCalla.

And that's just the black women of various genres off the top of my head lol

Edit: forgot Normani!!

Just want to throw Skin of Skunk Anansie here because Skin has one of the best vocals for hard rock ever and Skunk Anansie shows that 90's music wasn't complete poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P0yUagEXBE

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
siamese dream is the album nirvana wished they could have made

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

This is a first as a campaign issue, isn't it? Seems like a real big deal, especially with Harris looking like the establishment pick.

Yes, afaik no other candidates have endorsed reparations.

To flip the coin, has anyone specifically come out against reparations?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
As the resident dog obsessive I deem that this is cool and good

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1098700066150334465?s=21

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
We literally have a white supremacist coastie who googled "how to commit crime" and was targetting loving Senators and SCOTUS and people are like "no this attack on a black activists was too unbelievable, you're a fool for believing it"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Koalas March posted:

Yes, afaik no other candidates have endorsed reparations.

To flip the coin, has anyone specifically come out against reparations?

I bet Biden has sometime over the last 30 years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jaxyon posted:

Man 2020 Dem primaries are gonna be lit.

If we get an actual honest to god discussion of reparations I don't even know.

This is the big question. What does that actually mean?

Because like any slogan, it’s easy to say you support “reparations” while being unspecific.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Madkal posted:

Just want to throw Skin of Skunk Anansie here because Skin has one of the best vocals for hard rock ever and Skunk Anansie shows that 90's music wasn't complete poo poo.

Thanks for this!

And for quoting me because I could watch that gif all day :allears:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Madkal posted:

Paranoid and sunburnt was one of the better things to come out of the 90s. Their later stuff i can take it or leave it.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Late to the party, but depending on the genre every single year has a ton of amazing releases. We're 21 days into the second month of the year and I've already heard like 50 albums I would consider fantastic.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Guys i just heard from some very reputable constitutional lawyers on t_d that gagging someone is ILLEGAL and evidence of SWAMP violations so I guess stone is clear to do whatever he wants. Bummer.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

This is the big question. What does that actually mean?

Because like any slogan, it’s easy to say you support “reparations” while being unspecific.

Yeah I am really curious about it. It's not gonna matter if no one presses either of them, or doesn't ask the other candidates if they support it or not.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I think the fact that Warren came out in favor of reparations and abolishing the filibuster on the same day should be getting more attention.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ozmunkeh posted:

siamese dream is the album nirvana wished they could have made

Siamese Dream is a perfect album beginning to end and is my one island record. Nevermind was absolutely right place right time, but it was a complete rejection of the vapid hair metal/pop rock that came before it (which is kind of ironic considering that Nirvana's song pattern was pop as gently caress) but spoke to dissatisfied youth which is what rock is supposed to do. The grunge scene was well up and running in the underground before Nirvana broke big (bands like the Melvins, Mudhoney, Soundgarden etc) but with a major record label behind them Nirvana brought it to the mainstream. Nothing wrong with that really as it meant it had a much bigger reach than just some clubs in Seattle.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

Yeah I am really curious about it. It's not gonna matter if no one presses either of them, or doesn't ask the other candidates if they support it or not.

Exactly. It will probably become like GND or MFA, a platitude for candidates to espouse without being specific. They need to be pressured to release actual proposals they will pledge to push for in Congress, or stfu.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Tayter Swift posted:

Looks like one of them EXPENSIVE dog breeds :smuggo:

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Koalas March posted:

Isn't Dave a crazy antivaxx dude?

OK, revisiting this. loving Taylor Hawkins! He did a benefit show with his side band Chevy Metal in 2013 or 2014 to raise money for Age of Autism and Generation Rescue. He said, in a statement, that he did it because he has a nephew with Autism but I cannot determine if he knew the A to Z of who he was supporting (and their anti-vax stance). It was stupid of him to raise money and perform for them if he did not. I'm disappointed. But then Dave is my hero, not Taylor.

Madkal posted:

Siamese Dream is a perfect album beginning to end and is my one island record. Nevermind was absolutely right place right time, but it was a complete rejection of the vapid hair metal/pop rock that came before it (which is kind of ironic considering that Nirvana's song pattern was pop as gently caress) but spoke to dissatisfied youth which is what rock is supposed to do. The grunge scene was well up and running in the underground before Nirvana broke big (bands like the Melvins, Mudhoney, Soundgarden etc) but with a major record label behind them Nirvana brought it to the mainstream. Nothing wrong with that really as it meant it had a much bigger reach than just some clubs in Seattle.

Right, I forgot to mention them. I like their first album and half of the second. Too bad Billy is a MAGA CHUD now.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 22, 2019

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think the fact that Warren came out in favor of reparations and abolishing the filibuster on the same day should be getting more attention.

She keeps impressing me. She's the underdog this time, not Bernie. Go Liz!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Exactly. It will probably become like GND or MFA, a platitude for candidates to espouse without being specific. They need to be pressured to release actual proposals they will pledge to push for in Congress, or stfu.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The DSA BLM Illuminati is already planning mic grabs. :tinfoil:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Post-grunge popular music in the 90's had some drat good stuff. This was the peak of MTV still playing music videos and gave us gems like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WEtxJ4-sh4

(no one gave a crap about nu-metal and junk until like '00 with Limp Bizkit and Napster taking off)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Tayter Swift posted:

I can’t believe Fox News is already sexualizing this.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Honestly she should be getting more attention period. She has been putting out actual detailed policy proposals while most have been peddling platitudes.

That said I like that even the "establishment" pick is taking up more "radical" positions. There is definitely a different feel to the discussions in this election than any in the past.

The simple fact that the idea of raising taxes on the rich is not just being talked about but broadly supported is loving amazing.

I don't think y'all younger Goons really appreciate just how far the discussion has shifted over the last decade. Hell in the last 2 years.

It's the one thing that keeps me going

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Why are y’all still prattling on about old rear end music? Kurt Cobain died before I was born. Get with the times.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Skex posted:

Honestly she should be getting more attention period. She has been putting out actual detailed policy proposals while most have been peddling platitudes.

That said I like that even the "establishment" pick is taking up more "radical" positions. There is definitely a different feel to the discussions in this election than any in the past.

The simple fact that the idea of raising taxes on the rich is not just being talked about but broadly supported is loving amazing.

I don't think y'all younger Goons really appreciate just how far the discussion has shifted over the last decade. Hell in the last 2 years.

It's the one thing that keeps me going

The unfortunate part is her fundraising has been pretty piss poor thus far. That may be the real consequence of her Native American issue rake-stepping. And it's a shame.

Lightning Knight posted:

Why are y’all still prattling on about old rear end music? Kurt Cobain died before I was born. Get with the times.

Guessing you don't listen to Mozart, Sinatra, Elvis or The Beatles very much?

Not to mention Roy Orbison? He kicks rear end.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Lightning Knight posted:

Lizzo is just a new Missy Elliot. Fight me.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Seriouspost, I'm virtually certain that will be Trump's defense if he ever does actually see the inside of a courtroom.

It will be hilarious if they try this and then he testifies about his “all time greatest memory” and stuff but lol no way he testifies.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VH4Ever posted:

Guessing you don't listen to Mozart, Sinatra, Elvis or The Beatles very much?

Not to mention Roy Orbison? He kicks rear end.

Nope.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

You're missin' out.

-An Old Guy

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

Next thing you’re gonna tell us is that any country song made in the past 20 years has been good

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

You're missin' out.

-An Old Guy

Seconded.

Open yourself up to all eras and genres and you have a lot more good music to choose from.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Only listen to music that has been referenced in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Lightning Knight posted:

drat whippersnapper and your snapchatting your instagrams....