Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I own a pair of Grado SR80e and love them. They are so comfy and the sound is amazingly balanced. I also own a pair of AT ATH-M40x and while they're a bit more on the low end side, they are pretty good but get uncomfortable after 30 minutes. My ears sweat or get annoyed. I bought velour pad replacements which didn't help.

What I REALLY want is the pads that my Grado has on them. I'm moving to a new work location and I want to bring in my ATH with me. I can't use Grados because they're open air, but I want to use those pads!

Does anyone sell any replacement pads for the ATH series that are just these Grado foam things? They gotta right? They're the cheapest materiel ever, but also the comfiest!

halp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sacred Cow posted:

drat! If my company didn't lose out on bonuses this year I would have been all over that.

What's a good office friendly closed back headphone ~$100? My HD58X leaks a little too much for my taste. I'm eyeing the AT M40x since its on sale on Amazon but I'm open to other, more comfortable options.

Custom One refurbs from beyerdynamic usa's ebay store. Check my posts upthread for the link.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RichterIX posted:

This might be a little lower-end than you want but a couple of people at work (myself included) use Status Audio CB-1s and they don't leak. I'm not sure how they compare to the M40x

They are better (and ugly) but comfortable as hell.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I use bluetooth 99% of the time but I want a decent pair of wired for the times I need wired like for the in flight entertainment systems on long flights that I take often enough. I usually care about sound quality but since these will be primarily for watching bad movies on airplanes I don't care too much. I guess the biggest plus would be the noise isolation bit to drown out the plane noises.

I think I want IEMs, but if there are better alternatives I am open to that. Since I am looking to go relatively cheap is something like these complete poo poo that is not even worth the :10bux:? Maybe go with these instead?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There was a Massdrop recently for Tin Audio T3s that went for about $60. That doesn't help though since it'll be a month before those ship for anyone. If I recall correctly they'll be about $70 when they finally hit Amazon.

I ordered a pair but because Australia I'll probably be one of the last people on the planet to get them from that particular drop.

Now that I think about it I'm giving bad advice. They're bass ported and that's not going to help you on the quest for isolation. Forget I bought it up.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 15, 2019

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

RichterIX posted:

This might be a little lower-end than you want but a couple of people at work (myself included) use Status Audio CB-1s and they don't leak. I'm not sure how they compare to the M40x

Looking at reviews, it seems like you trade build quality for sound and decent pads. Have you had any issues with it so far?

5-HT posted:

$100 is where you're going to have issues. if you have just a hair of wiggle room you can pick up a beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohm for $130 or less easily.

ItBreathes posted:

Custom One refurbs from beyerdynamic usa's ebay store. Check my posts upthread for the link.

Thanks. I had my eye on the DT770 when it was on Massdrop but hesitated a little too long. I almost jumped on a $99 set of DT990's on their ebay store until I realized that would defeat the purpose of getting office headphones. I may end up waiting for a set of DT770s to show up.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
DT770s are good office headphones. I picked up a set of IEMs a few months ago though and they're even better at drowning out noise around you (if that's your goal).

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

dutchbstrd posted:

I use bluetooth 99% of the time but I want a decent pair of wired for the times I need wired like for the in flight entertainment systems on long flights that I take often enough. I usually care about sound quality but since these will be primarily for watching bad movies on airplanes I don't care too much. I guess the biggest plus would be the noise isolation bit to drown out the plane noises.

I think I want IEMs, but if there are better alternatives I am open to that. Since I am looking to go relatively cheap is something like these complete poo poo that is not even worth the :10bux:? Maybe go with these instead?

If blocking noise is the primary concern, I'd go with an over ear style IEM that physically blocks more of your outer ear, preferably one that doesn't have vents.

The IEM of mine that blocks the most noise by far is the KZ ZS4. Wearing those with double flange tips is like wearing very good earplugs even without any music playing. Listening to music at moderate volume with them makes it so I can't hear the lawnmower or vacuum cleaner, they're really great for doing noisy chores, ha. They also sound really good for the price, I got them for $12 on Gearbest.

Oh, if you do get those, the memory wire on the cables that is supposed to hold them in place on the top of your ears really sucks and is uncomfortable. I stripped that off and it was a much more comfortable fit overall.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

trem_two posted:

If blocking noise is the primary concern, I'd go with an over ear style IEM that physically blocks more of your outer ear, preferably one that doesn't have vents.

The IEM of mine that blocks the most noise by far is the KZ ZS4. Wearing those with double flange tips is like wearing very good earplugs even without any music playing. Listening to music at moderate volume with them makes it so I can't hear the lawnmower or vacuum cleaner, they're really great for doing noisy chores, ha. They also sound really good for the price, I got them for $12 on Gearbest.

Oh, if you do get those, the memory wire on the cables that is supposed to hold them in place on the top of your ears really sucks and is uncomfortable. I stripped that off and it was a much more comfortable fit overall.

Cool they're 20 bucks on Amazon, will probably give them a go: https://www.amazon.com/Fidelity-Headphones-Earphones-Powerfull-Customization/dp/B07GGJLNFD/

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Sacred Cow posted:

Looking at reviews, it seems like you trade build quality for sound and decent pads. Have you had any issues with it so far?

No issues so far but they lead a pretty sedentary existence. I've been using them for about 2 years I think.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

5-HT posted:

sadly there's no go BT solution that completely eliminates lag between audio/video. most websites (like youtube/netflix/etc) have compensation algorithms they use to account for delays.

apple products don't have this issue in their ecosystem because of the means by which they pair which is based on a proprietary system based on their W1 chip. this is why beats and apple products don't have these issues.

best option is still going to be apple airpods unless/until there's something else released. the drop issues are inherent to the design of many "true wireless" earbud designs.

Ended up getting a new BeatsX and it's working fine.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

hey guys, upgrading my phone to the FUTURE means no headphone jack anymore, figured i might as well toss in an upgrade while im at it

Budget - ~150.
Source - Phone (bluetooth only!)
Isolation Requirements - a little bit would be nice.
Preferred Type of Headphone - over or on the ear only, I can't wear earbuds at the gym without one of them falling out. i'd prefer something that i can carry in a jacket pocket or similar over a big set of cans, but im pretty sure these dont actually exist.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Koss Portapros

also, does anyone happen to have experience with wireless headphone adapters for the nintendo switch? i can just keep toting around my portapros for it but it would def be easier to just toss the adapter in my case instead.

Argona fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 17, 2019

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I was on good behavior for a long time. I had a pair of Koss PortaPros for ~8 years and I was happy. I needed nothing more. Somewhere I strayed from the path though...

Pretty happy with this stack. I was lucky enough to hear many different setups at a couple shows last year, and found the cost/quality equation ended about here for me. The Edition X has a bit of a reputation as a 'poor man's HE-1000'. It sounds pretty darn good though. I figure, as long as I never hear an HE-1000 or a Susvara, I can live in blissful ignorance. Other things like the LCD-3 and HD800S that I've heard had a different enough tuning that I can just say they're 'different'.

Still on the lookout for a closed headphone though. Something warm-ish, preferrably easy enough to drive that my V20 could run it.
But... no less comfortable than my CB-1s. Any suggestions?

Preferably below $500.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bodyholes posted:

Still on the lookout for a closed headphone though. Something warm-ish, preferrably easy enough to drive that my V20 could run it.
But... no less comfortable than my CB-1s. Any suggestions?

Preferably below $500.

Take a look at the Meze 99 classic or neo. I've seen them described as warm. I have the 99 neo and listen to them at work and like them. They're very comfortable but I also only wear them for 30-45 minutes at a time on breaks. I run them off my ES100 but I'm pretty sure my Pixel got them to an acceptable volume the one time I tried that. I'll plug them straight into it tomorrow at some point to see what I think.

e: my pixel xl seems to get them loud enough to listen to.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 17, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I've been trying to find a pair of over-the-ear bluetooth headphones that can stand up to rain and it's feeling like a pipe dream. Am I looking for something that doesn't actually exist?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbit posted:

I've been trying to find a pair of over-the-ear bluetooth headphones that can stand up to rain and it's feeling like a pipe dream. Am I looking for something that doesn't actually exist?

Try diving or swimming gear.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Argona posted:

also, does anyone happen to have experience with wireless headphone adapters for the nintendo switch? i can just keep toting around my portapros for it but it would def be easier to just toss the adapter in my case instead.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/aw/d/B07DC8XYKQ

I got that for using wireless headphones on the switch. There's a million of them out there.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DancingShade posted:

Try diving or swimming gear.

Those all seem to be in-ear style stuff, unfortunately, which give me problems. I've been using a pair of Sony MDR-ZX770BT headphones for awhile, I was hoping there was something out there like that-- I might have used the wrong terminology when I said 'over-the-ear'.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbit posted:

Those all seem to be in-ear style stuff, unfortunately, which give me problems. I've been using a pair of Sony MDR-ZX770BT headphones for awhile, I was hoping there was something out there like that-- I might have used the wrong terminology when I said 'over-the-ear'.

If you're looking for something vaguely like a Bose QC35 but fully waterproof I don't think that exists. There are sweat resistant full size headphones for workouts (i.e. BlueAnt Pump Zone) but I don't think they'd like rain.

If waterproof IEMs are completely out as an option then a waterproof bluetooth portable boom box speaker and an 80s jacket is all I can think of.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'm looking for recommendations for a friend who wants pretty much the opposite from what I like in haedphones, so I have a hard time knowing the options.

closed-back, preferred over-ear
$30-60
built to survive abuse. this is a person who is casually destructive to his own stuff.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I'm interested in getting a pair of true wireless in-ears. Is it worth it? And what should I be aiming for? I'm currently looking at the Jabra 65t. My other headphones are Sony WH-1000XM2 and they get unbearably sweaty at the gym

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Finally got my Tone Board set up. It's good!

Setup is: USB -> Tone Board -> Atom -> HE4XX

Listening to the new Carpenter Brut track "Hush Sally, Hush!" and everything sounds very nice. I'm noticing no hiss like i was with onboard. Everything is crisp and has a bit of CRONCH to it. I'm not a professional audio reviewer so i have no idea what im talking about.

Also...either I ordered 2 tone boards by accident or Khadas sent me a second by mistake :stare:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Send me one I'll pretend to be sad when the Rangers trade Zucc at the deadline.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Listening to the new Carpenter Brut track "Hush Sally, Hush!" and everything sounds very nice. I'm noticing no hiss like i was with onboard. Everything is crisp and has a bit of CRONCH to it. I'm not a professional audio reviewer so i have no idea what im talking about.

Also...either I ordered 2 tone boards by accident or Khadas sent me a second by mistake :stare:

give me that extra Khadas and I'll work something in nice for you for the LCD-X headphones I have for sale. Also, price dropped in thread.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

So I decided to impulse buy the AKG K702s, mostly because I decided that I'd rather test out a more inexpensive pair of headphones with wide soundstage and less emphasized bass before I committed to a far more expensive pair.

The LCD-Xs are basically all I'm every going to want for electronic/hip-hop/rock and even metal, but since I'm also a classical and jazz dweeb I want something to scratch that particular itch, pretty excited to see how these will sound.

EDIT: As an aside, since 2017, I've blown two thousand bucks on an OLED TV, two thousand bucks on an obsene gaming rig, a thousand bucks on an ultrawide monitor, but out of all that poo poo, the one that I least expected to be the most impressive yet ended up being my favorite purchase of all were the LCD-Xs (and that OLED blows me away so this is saying something) because gently caress, having headphones this good is the most impressive upgrade to how I experience art since I discovered weed and shrooms in highschool.
I really have no idea how I spent two years working at a radio station, nearly two decades of engaging in music, learning several instruments, and studying musical theory for me to discover decent audio tech this late. The DT 990 Pros were already a huge step up but this is just another world.

Matt Zerella posted:

That's basically my same setup lol, Tone Board, Atom and planar headphones. How are you liking the HE4XX by the way? My friend's birthday is coming up and he's a huge vinyl lover, I was thinking of buying him the HE4XX but was eyeing the ATH-M50X for a safer bet.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 20, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the Moondrop Kanas Pro Edition. First impressions, laid back, detailed, bass slam if needed, mids are incredible, and NO bass bloat, nor midbass bloat. A little DSP goes a long way with these, I add bass. Cord is super good actually, thin supple, light. The IEMs are solid metal and not light, fit perfect, have large ear bores. I use foam tips.

Supposedly they target the Harmon freq curve and I believe it. You can turn these suckers way up and get no ear fatigue which is not the case with the BGVP DM6.

Sound stage is actually amazing and for sure they are the best one dynamic driver IEM I've heard. Be interesting to compare with some high end Sonys.

Ordered from Amazon, Shenzhenaudio, took 7 days total which is not bad at all.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 20, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My thoughts on the Senfer DT6

Holy christ these things suck and blow. I'd been so good about not buying Head-Fi's Flavour-Of-The-Month, too.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Argona posted:

hey guys, upgrading my phone to the FUTURE means no headphone jack anymore, figured i might as well toss in an upgrade while im at it

Budget - ~150.
Preferred Type of Headphone - over or on the ear only, I can't wear earbuds at the gym without one of them falling out. i'd prefer something that i can carry in a jacket pocket or similar over a big set of cans, but im pretty sure these dont actually exist.

I ended up not really finding anything small and spending a bit more and picking up the sennheiser 4.50btnc. So far, so good

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Philthy posted:

I own a pair of Grado SR80e and love them. They are so comfy and the sound is amazingly balanced. I also own a pair of AT ATH-M40x and while they're a bit more on the low end side, they are pretty good but get uncomfortable after 30 minutes. My ears sweat or get annoyed. I bought velour pad replacements which didn't help.

What I REALLY want is the pads that my Grado has on them. I'm moving to a new work location and I want to bring in my ATH with me. I can't use Grados because they're open air, but I want to use those pads!

Does anyone sell any replacement pads for the ATH series that are just these Grado foam things? They gotta right? They're the cheapest materiel ever, but also the comfiest!

halp

Found something that works.

Softies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljCPz6YxIvY

They feel as nice as my Grados. They were exactly what I was looking for. Yeah, it cancels out the "over the ear" but man, I can wear em all day long now.

Dont listen to the video, that guy is really annoying. I just posted because that pic is me right now.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

Holy christ these things suck and blow. I'd been so good about not buying Head-Fi's Flavour-Of-The-Month, too.

Describe the suckage in more detail.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

redeyes posted:

Describe the suckage in more detail.

Well, it'll have to be from memory because I cracked the earpieces in a vice and threw them in the garbage, but let me try

Good:
-Well built. Required quite a bit of pressure to destroy them in the vice!
-Nice cable
-Uh... came with a case and a shirt clip?

Bad:
-Everything remotely related to sound quality

Tuning
Muddy and congested with bass roll off. I didn't actually know this was a tuning choice until now. It's kind of flat-ish, sorta.

Isolation
Mediocre, as the vents on the back are real. Lots of cable thump because the DT6s are designed for cable down wear and there's no chin slider.

Bass
Imagine a giant farting noise that rolls off under 60hz or so. Weird, totally lacking detail and way too long a decay.

Mids
I didn't know so much music was recorded underwater.

Treble
Everything sounds like it's being filtered through a sock. There's very little detail and a giant scoop between 5k-10k, so big chunks of the music are straight up missing. Despite this giant scoop and poor detail the treble manages to be harsh at times which is a neat trick.

Soundstage
Ha ha ha ha oh loving no there isn't any. I can't even tell if the headphones at least image well because the sound is so muddy I have difficulty making out separate instruments.

I kept thinking that maybe I got a fake or a lemon, but when I cracked those fuckers open in a vice both earpieces at least had all three drivers present. Also, when comparing to the frequency charts I found online, the general response and frequency balance seemed the same.

Conclusion
Based on the set I received there's at least one audio engineer in the world with a deep and abiding hatred of all mankind. These aren't headphones, they're ear-mounted fart machines. Buy something else, literally anything else. You'd probably get better sound out of a set of $1 gas station specials. Good cable, though, I'm definitely keeping that.

Oh, and if you thought I was kidding about the whole "crushed in a vice" thing, I dug 'em out, just for this thread.

I should probably salvage those MMCX connectors as well.

grack fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 21, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

Oh, and if you thought I was kidding about the whole "crushed in a vice" thing, I dug 'em out, just for this thread.

Make a cork board of destroyed IEMs as a conversation piece instead. You have the first part of your collection.

Say it's a post modern baroque monologue on the industrial-audio consumer reality juxtaposed with lucid dreaming.

Then laugh at anyone who nods sagely.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 21, 2019

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

For my own selfish concerns, I hope yours was a QC problem that also happens to be very rare, because I have a pair arriving next week :stare:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

trem_two posted:

For my own selfish concerns, I hope yours was a QC problem that also happens to be very rare, because I have a pair arriving next week :stare:

Well, me too. The technology in the DT6s is certainly intriguing, which is why I bought these in the first place.

Frankly I need to stop buying these FOTMs because I already got my endgame IEMs and assorted (expensive) ephemera to go along with them.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

haha! Thats pretty drastic. Totally worthless eh?

I have a question for IEM people: I have a bend or something in my right ear canal. I cannot get any earbuds passed this bend and therefor my right ear is always lower volume than my left. It kind of makes me insane. Anyone know how I might be able to fix this issue? Spinfit tips? Tripple flange? I can only use foam tips in that ear and only because they stick a little when they expand.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Argona posted:

Budget - ~150.

I’m interested in other’s responses, but I’ll comment based on my own experience. I received a freebie pair of Beats X wireless IEMs along with an iPad Pro as part of Apple’s back to school special last year.

My only prior experience with higher end IEMs was a pair of Shure SE 215’s, and while the sound quality was probably better in ideal conditions, the line noise from the cable made using them while doing any kind of movement an exercise in frustration. I stoppped using them almost immediately.

By comparison, I have worn the Beats X almost any time I leave the house and 100% of the time I go to work. The isolation is good, the sound quaility is decent, and if you’ve never used a wireless headset for conference calls, you don’t know what you’re missing.

All that said, I nearly just passed on the headset due to Beats reputation.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Someone gave me a pair of Stax SR80's, the catch is that I only got the headphones, not the "adaptor"/amp that comes with it. So is it worth hunting the web for a SRD-4? I'm not completely sure, but I don't think the later "adaptors" are compatible with it.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

A co-worker spotted my Grado SR325 + Schiit Fulla 2 setup a few weeks ago, and we shat the poo poo about headphones for a bit. He dropped off his pair of LCD-X today, and it has loving ruined everything else for me. I just need to figure out how to never give them back to him.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

resident posted:

A co-worker spotted my Grado SR325 + Schiit Fulla 2 setup a few weeks ago, and we shat the poo poo about headphones for a bit. He dropped off his pair of LCD-X today, and it has loving ruined everything else for me. I just need to figure out how to never give them back to him.

well you could just buy them for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

5-HT posted:

well you could just buy them for me.

For=from? I'm interested if so... PM me, maybe?