Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Perth would take a long, long time to be able to conveniently convert across to rail (light, heavy etc) so the transition to full time ride sharing is a more likely outcome if they can do it without the expense of a driver.

This is something I've discussed with the better half and she doesn't believe me when i say that eventually with enough tech the majors like Uber and Google will have enough auto cars running around that it won't make sense to own a car in perth anymore when you can just pay a dollar to go most local places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I am waiting for the Australian to report that Labor poll increases are actually bad for Labor

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
ASIC investigating senators and staff for insider trading

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The driver costs are not quite that big.

Take uber

- gst takes 10%
- uber takes around 30% from the remaining (and loses money on that cut)
- driver has to pay fuel/maintenance costs (ballpark that at about 50c/km)
- what's left goes to the driver which is probably less than a third of the total

Now there are some interesting issues around increasing utilisation, safety and including it in multi-mode trips (things last-mile train station shuttles) but saying that it's going to make taxies cost pocket change is not realistic.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

ASIC investigating senators and staff for insider trading

:yeshaha:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Les Affaires posted:

Perth would take a long, long time to be able to conveniently convert across to rail (light, heavy etc) so the transition to full time ride sharing is a more likely outcome if they can do it without the expense of a driver.

This is something I've discussed with the better half and she doesn't believe me when i say that eventually with enough tech the majors like Uber and Google will have enough auto cars running around that it won't make sense to own a car in perth anymore when you can just pay a dollar to go most local places.

I honestly hope that doesn’t happen. Giant US monopolies don’t need control over our cities’ transportation. Not to mention that the infrastructure costs (roads) for these fleets of robot cars will still be funded by taxes that these corporations actively avoid paying.

Public owned mass transit, preferably rail, is the only solution that grants people democratic control over their means of transportation and provides money back to the government to spend on infrastructure.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

asbestos is white

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Is there a single example anywhere of any LNP person even facing charges (much less being convicted) for all the grossly illegal poo poo they've been carrying on with in the last 5-6 years?

Like if you're some schlub on the street, The System will drag your rear end through the streets and make sure you can never escape fines or punishment for breaking the law. But break the law as a LNP minister and what loving happens, ever? Absolutely nothing. Look no further if you want a good reason people are losing faith in institutions that are supposed to keep politicians from rorting the gently caress out of their positions and power.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Endman posted:

I honestly hope that doesn’t happen. Giant US monopolies don’t need control over our cities’ transportation. Not to mention that the infrastructure costs (roads) for these fleets of robot cars will still be funded by taxes that these corporations actively avoid paying.

Public owned mass transit, preferably rail, is the only solution that grants people democratic control over their means of transportation and provides money back to the government to spend on infrastructure.

Publicly funded automatic personal transportation. I'm sure with a bigger budget Transperth could have their own fleet easily enough.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Just in case we think hot takes in columns are a new thing in Australian media, I just came across this one from many years ago:

The Canberra Times, 1964 posted:

SUPERFICIALLY it was a small thing — West Australian entertainer and songwriter Rolf Harris was accused of being in poor taste in two of the lines of his internationally-known "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport."
The lines are: "Let me abosgo loose, Lou; they're of no further use, Lou."

But with aborigines now owning the right to vote and — in the southern part of the State — the right to drink, it was felt by some people that the lines were racially offensive.

There were suggestions that the aborigines were slaves of the while man and that the expression "abos" signified contempt.
On Monday the A.B.C. banned the song, saying that only instrumental versions would be played in future. The lines in the song might be offensive to aborigines or people trying to help them. Other criticisms followed.

But, mysteriously, the ban was lifted the next day, the A.B.C. claiming that there had been "some misunderstanding."

Rolf Harris is an equable young man not often upset by criticism of his work and he is not likely to be disturbed by the objections. He wrote the song in a Lyons corner house in The Strand, London, not long after he had gone to England in 1952. One of his proudest possessions at the time was a briefcase presented to him by a group of aborigines at Bassendean, his home town near Perth. He had entertained them regularly at socials, often turning down lucrative engagements to do so.
Two other of his songs — Sun Arise and Johnny Day are based on aboriginal chants. A Derby native made Harris a didgeridoo, taught him how to play it and even gave him some "suck-blow" music for "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport." The same native made another didgeridoo to replace the one Harris lost recently in Chicago.

Presumably, if the aborigines are happy about the song, every one else should be.

There is an interesting footnote. When Harris's wife Alwen presented him with a baby early this year, he had already chosen a name for her.

It was Bindi, an aboriginal word meaning grass seed.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bowmore posted:

I am waiting for the Australian to report that Labor poll increases are actually bad for Labor

Labor Loses Underdog Advantage
Sheridan Shanahan

Scott Morrison has learnt well from John Howard. The longest serving PM since Menzies came from behind to win in 2004, and in 2001, and in 1998, because he knew that Australians love an underdog. A battler. Australians are a humble people, and love nothing more than to cut down people with an oversized sense of popularity and success.

By consistently leading in the polls Labor have doomed themselves to complacency. Without the threat of an election loss they have no reason to remove a weak leader like Bill Shorten, whose unpopularity remains a drag on the party.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

scomo tanks own popularity and coalition reputation in electoral masterstroke

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
55-45, another win for scomo as Labor leads the latest polls! Bill Shorten may be thinking of resignation.

Writes Chris Kenny.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Did she manage to cock block Christian Porter from her seat, as was speculated?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Les Affaires posted:

Publicly funded automatic personal transportation. I'm sure with a bigger budget Transperth could have their own fleet easily enough.

And the advantage over a bus is what? One fewer job per vehicle (no bus driver) and fewer individuals per vehicle?

Why not just promote the manufacture of electric or hydrogen powered buses in Australia; it seems like a much more reasonable, not to mention achievable, goal than a public owned fleet of elon musk mobiles.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
As this lot circle the cesspit a reminder that they are the ones most likely to start squealing ARR TRUPS if they think there might be a fear mongered vote in it. So what are they currently doing about it?

We are still mired in Afganistan and are being effectively forced to maintain a token presence in other areas of the Middle East by our US alliance. Then of course there is Sovereign borders :rolleyes: About the only one that makes any sense at all is East Timor. https://www.army.gov.au/our-stories/operations/east-timortimor-leste. If these reactionary fuckwads actually gave a poo poo about the welfare of ARR TRUPS then we might be seeing some action on withdrawing remaining forces from Afghanistan. Apparently we gave up the fight in 2014 and this 'token' presence is for training. It does also somewhat beg the question what exactly the other 60 000 active members of the Australian military are up to and are we getting value for money here.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Labor Loses Underdog Advantage
Sheridan Shanahan

Scott Morrison has learnt well from John Howard. The longest serving PM since Menzies came from behind to win in 2004, and in 2001, and in 1998, because he knew that Australians love an underdog. A battler. Australians are a humble people, and love nothing more than to cut down people with an oversized sense of popularity and success.

By consistently leading in the polls Labor have doomed themselves to complacency. Without the threat of an election loss they have no reason to remove a weak leader like Bill Shorten, whose unpopularity remains a drag on the party.

So you really can get brain damage from huffing your own farts. :ms:

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
I don't know if this is old news or newsworthy at all but I just checked Sportsbet and they have Labor at slightly better odds than Coalition in the NSW election.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Everyone involved in Operation ASTUTE calls it Operation AssToot don't they

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Operation Paladin :tinfoil:

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
hahahaha gladys flipped off the newy herald

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
everyone's furious about it here lmao

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
and so they should be, "you're riding this fancy tram through completely empty streets and a cbd full of shuttered storefronts, what has this actually done for the city" was a great thing to say and deserved a real answer

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Labor gonna win NSW.

Also, it appears the Media is solely focused on optimism pieces to prevent a run on Coalition donations come election time. Liberal voters are loyal to nothing but themselves, so they won't be donating poo poo if they think a loss is certain.

ALP members, on the other hand, will double down if the odds aren't looking as good, so I don't know that they've really thought this through so well. I'd let this one through to the keeper and concentrate on their strengths as an opposition party, but they're born to rule idiots and will sink the ship rather than admit that people don't want them in government.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/mp-tim-quilty-s-rexit-speech-20190219-p50yw6.html

quote:

In his maiden speech in the Victorian upper house this week, Liberal Democrat MP Tim Quilty called for regional Australians to secede and create new states. His proposed home of the new country Victorian parliament? The Wodonga RSL. Here is an edited excerpt of his speech.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Why are they always so crazy?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

That's the one I was at the Lionhat was at. It was prime nuffy content all around.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

pikachode posted:

and so they should be, "you're riding this fancy tram through completely empty streets and a cbd full of shuttered storefronts, what has this actually done for the city" was a great thing to say and deserved a real answer

Please tell me there's footage of this.

Hunter Street isn't that dire but the general point still stands. We'll see if everyone saying that all those shops are going to have new life breathed into them when the tram gets going are right or not.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

aejix posted:

Hunter Street isn't that dire but the general point still stands. We'll see if everyone saying that all those shops are going to have new life breathed into them when the tram gets going are right or not.

If they were serious about rejuvenating the city centre, get rid of the parking meters.

As soon as they came in the vast majority of people left and went to Charlestown instead.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

aejix posted:

https://twitter.com/David_Threlfo/status/1097406185492213762

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

if Bega is talking about New Castle it's because of a certain someone's multidimensional metaphysical BREASTS rather than some dumb rail bullshit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What a filthy loving pair

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i don't know what the go with this is but why does gladys b's face look like a sagging vegetable that gets slightly more rotten over time

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Knobb Manwich posted:

if Bega is talking about New Castle it's because of a certain someone's multidimensional metaphysical BREASTS rather than some dumb rail bullshit.
news of my breasts has reached even the cheese kingdom of the south

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Gladys gives me strong Reptilian vibes.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
they are making offerings to their wretched god. but nothing will save them now. nothing!

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
the dairy industry is finished. i am the dairy industry now, and my rule over the milk supply is absolute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

pikachode posted:

news of my breasts has reached even the cheese kingdom of the south

:bernchloe: