Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
OP what isekai is your favorite Isekai and how many loli waifus would you say it has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I do have to admit, as a practitioner of it myself, I have to admire the level of skill it takes to fail to read the room this badly

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Every time I look at the web novel thread to see what's being talked about I see folks talking about how much it sucks to be reading an isekai where the protagonist keeps sex slaves and then they keep reading it anyways. That's my isekai story ty for reading.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do have to admit, as a practitioner of it myself, I have to admire the level of skill it takes to fail to read the room this badly

I'd say you're rising to the occasion

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Kchama posted:

Nah, I'd say this is untrue. They have a fair amount of overlap because Isekai is a very popular way to set up a GameLit/LitRPG story, but by no means does Isekai require anything of the GameLit genre. Hell, Isekai predates it by a lot in both America and Japan. Isekai's largely just gotten a bad name from really awful GameLit using it as setup.

Though there is just straight up bad trashy Isekai, it's a relatively modern beast born of a popular terrible Isekai that spawned loads of imitations. One of my favorite anime is an Isekai, though it's never actually recognized as such largely to being the original Isekai anime, before there were 'genre conventions' for it. It's nothing like Gamelit.

this sort of thing is caused by poor parenting, underfunded public school systems, and insufficient church

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 22, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

drop a few nukes on a country and weird stuff's bound to happen a few decades later

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Kchama posted:

Nah, I'd say this is untrue. They have a fair amount of overlap because Isekai is a very popular way to set up a GameLit/LitRPG story, but by no means does Isekai require anything of the GameLit genre. Hell, Isekai predates it by a lot in both America and Japan. Isekai's largely just gotten a bad name from really awful GameLit using it as setup.

Though there is just straight up bad trashy Isekai, it's a relatively modern beast born of a popular terrible Isekai that spawned loads of imitations. One of my favorite anime is an Isekai, though it's never actually recognized as such largely to being the original Isekai anime, before there were 'genre conventions' for it. It's nothing like Gamelit.
It's Sword Art Accel World isn't it

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

my bony fealty posted:

drop a few nukes on a country and weird stuff's bound to happen a few decades later

Seriouspost: I think the post-war occupation (continuation of the abusive relationship between USA and Japan that started with admiral Perry's ultimatum) had a much greater impact

Shitpost: if admiral Perry was First Impact, the bombs were the devastating Second Impact and the occupation was the transfigurative Third. Enola Gay wasn't named after the pilot's mother, it was her, and they rode her to an alchemical marriage disguised as a Pyrrhic victory disguised as a Faustian bargain. Don't quote me

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 22, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Srice posted:

Every time I look at the web novel thread to see what's being talked about I see folks talking about how much it sucks to be reading an isekai where the protagonist keeps sex slaves and then they keep reading it anyways. That's my isekai story ty for reading.

The web serial thread is a hell of a place, and I say that as someone who writes a web serial.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife predates the opening of japan by like 50 years so im going to firmly repudiate the idea that japan's weirdness is the west's fault

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Good chance for everyone to be racist. And I agree, the reason those pricks want to kill the whales is because they can't gently caress them

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The web serial thread is a hell of a place, and I say that as someone who writes a web serial.

I should clarify I meant the one in adtrw! (which is probably not too far removed from the web serial thread here with the only real difference being they read translated stuff instead of stuff originally written in English)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Whale loving is simultaneously the most amazing sex and the closest real life experience to an unbirthing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

the wider LitRPG community

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife predates the opening of japan by like 50 years so im going to firmly repudiate the idea that japan's weirdness is the west's fault

Semen means seed, but a woman is not soil and it takes two to tango

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hackbunny posted:

Whale loving is simultaneously the most amazing sex and the closest real life experience to an unbirthing

For me it's only living thing that can handle my dick

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I guess what I'm trying to say is, a tree falls in the forest: do you blame the tree or the forest?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

I'd say you're rising to the occasion

throne reclaimed

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I guess I'm a whale now... but who could imagine my little sister would be this cute, as a certain marine mammal?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Still trying to comprehend the sort of mind that can follow a LitRPG instead of doing absolutely anything else.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Repeatedly tying and untying your shoes, trying to beat your best time, would be a more engaging mental activity.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Uwah!? I've Been Teleported To A Magical VRMMO World And My Hot Sister Is A Level 1 Whale Knight?!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

And I agree, the reason those pricks want to kill the whales is because they can't gently caress them

hell, same

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The difference between LitRPG and isekai is that LitRPG stays in its little online Amazon ghetto whereas isekai gets published and stocked in bookstores all over Japan and adapted into multimillion dollar projects by anime studios that infect far further swathes of the population.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

No, that means shark.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
when i was reading sanderson's meticulously detailed and yet breathtakingly un-immersive descriptions of battlefields i had a disconcerting experience because try as i might to see things from the protagonist's perspective, and i tried, i could only picture the scene in top-down isometric with all the little bloodless fighting men and buildings lined up in perfect neat rows, like i was playing age of empires

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

pikachode posted:

when i was reading sanderson's meticulously detailed and yet breathtakingly un-immersive descriptions of battlefields i had a disconcerting experience because try as i might to see things from the protagonist's perspective, and i tried, i could only picture the scene in top-down isometric with all the little bloodless fighting men and buildings lined up in perfect neat rows, like i was playing age of empires

and what is age of empires but a game where you "build" a "world"?

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

and what is age of empires but a game where you "build" a "world"?
:stare:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's Sword Art Accel World isn't it

gently caress no. I, like all law-abiding people, dislike Sword Art Online! Also Sword Art Online is literally GameLit in its purest form, since it's just dumbasses playing video games.

Also Accel World is just the same thing except I think it gives you powers in real life. Don't quote me on that, as I haven't read it.

As a fellow pedant, I respect your commitment to being technically correct.

But on the other hand, I feel you are misusing your power.

Power is MEANT TO BE ABUSED!!

I actually just meant Aura Battler Dunbine, which I can probably hipsterishly preen that nobody has heard of it, probably because it doesn't have any stupid LitRPG stuff.

Don't read this as an actual defense of Isekai as it exists today, though. It's alll garbage.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 22, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I googled "Accel World" and the very first thing I got was a half naked anime child

God drat it

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kchama posted:

Don't read this as an actual defense of Isekai as it exists today, though. It's alll garbage.

alas for the golden days of isekai

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

now, of course, the holy grail is isekai xianxia litrpg

that's when you know you've found something special. oh yes indeed

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I am going to have sex with this female Flame Atronach from Oblivion. I find the female Atronaches in The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion sexy. However, their body is made up of 87% fire, and 100% fire surrounds them. That could kill me if I tried to have sex with one. To remedy this, the Flame Atronach casts a spell on me making me resistant to fire. Keep in mind, resistant is not the same as immune. I still take damage. It is either 1 point or 0 points of damage each second I am having sex with her. Just because a particular second caused 0 points of damage, does not mean that I did not feel anything, It just means that I took no damage. I am not going to rush through having sex with this Flame Atronach, I make sure I pleasure anything I have sex with, especially non-humans! I'd rather take damage than not pleasure the Flame Atronach.

The Flame Atronach and I go to the Planes of Oblivion to have sex. When having sex with non-humans, it is ALWAYS sexier to have sex in their natural habitat rather than a human's natural habitat.

Before we went into the Planes of Oblivion, the Flame Atronach let all the Daedra know that we are just here for sex. The Daedra will not attack us because they know I am here at the Planes of Oblivion on sexual business. This includes the Dremora. However, the Dremora Marknyaz thinks that I am going to be an easy recruit for becoming a follower of Mehrunes Dagon considering that I am having sex with a Flame Atronach. However, I have no interest in becoming a Daedra.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Personally I prefer Excel World, wherein a mild mannered accountant finds himself in the world of his favorite spreadsheet and gets to meet all the integers

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I am going to have sex with this female Flame Atronach from Oblivion. I find the female Atronaches in The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion sexy. However, their body is made up of 87% fire, and 100% fire surrounds them. That could kill me if I tried to have sex with one. To remedy this, the Flame Atronach casts a spell on me making me resistant to fire. Keep in mind, resistant is not the same as immune. I still take damage. It is either 1 point or 0 points of damage each second I am having sex with her. Just because a particular second caused 0 points of damage, does not mean that I did not feel anything, It just means that I took no damage. I am not going to rush through having sex with this Flame Atronach, I make sure I pleasure anything I have sex with, especially non-humans! I'd rather take damage than not pleasure the Flame Atronach.

The Flame Atronach and I go to the Planes of Oblivion to have sex. When having sex with non-humans, it is ALWAYS sexier to have sex in their natural habitat rather than a human's natural habitat.

Before we went into the Planes of Oblivion, the Flame Atronach let all the Daedra know that we are just here for sex. The Daedra will not attack us because they know I am here at the Planes of Oblivion on sexual business. This includes the Dremora. However, the Dremora Marknyaz thinks that I am going to be an easy recruit for becoming a follower of Mehrunes Dagon considering that I am having sex with a Flame Atronach. However, I have no interest in becoming a Daedra.

You can tell this guy's really bad at Elder Scrolls because he isn't immediately offering his soul to as many things as he possibly can

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

alas for the golden days of isekai

Alas! The golden day of Isekai was before it was even coined as a genre!

I... Um, do I want to google that?

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 22, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kchama posted:

Don't make my mistake, friend

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I Can't Believe My Dynasty Can Have This Much Of A Mandate From Heaven!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kchama posted:

Alas! The golden day of Isekai was before it was even coined as a genre!

it's the chinese light novel equivalent. they are extremely formulaic. like litrpgs and isekai, they have a weird, inexplicable online following of white teenagers who are attracted to the formulaic 'power creep' aspects. it's very strange. you can make heaps of money by translating them from chinese to english via patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

it's the chinese light novel equivalent. they are extremely formulaic. like litrpgs and isekai, they have a weird, inexplicable online following of white teenagers who are attracted to the formulaic 'power creep' aspects. it's very strange. you can make heaps of money by translating them from chinese to english via patreon.

That's actually tamer than I expected, thank goodness. I googled it in response and a lot of the first-page requests was "MALE XIANXIAN OP PROTAG RECOMMENDATIONS?"