Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Make your own, cooler, Pope.

Anti-popes are a long and storied tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skypie posted:

One thing that cracks me up is that vassals will be pissed about me holding too many duchies or my demesne being too big, but the council will veto all my decisions to offload them :v:

They just want you to give land to them or people they like or alternatively they're looking for an excuse to be mad at you and if they allow you to actually fix things they don't have that excuse.

Sorta like how politicians IRL will defund a public service or institution and then complain that it's inefficient so they can cut it even more and try to get it replaced by a privatised version that someone they know owns.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 22, 2019

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Skypie posted:

Anti-popes are a long and storied tradition

Yeah this is exactly what they were for historically. Sometimes the game does a really good job of emulating history.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreudianSlippers posted:

They just want you to give land to them or people they like or alternatively they're looking for an excuse to be mad at you and if they allow you to actually fix things they don't have that excuse.

Sorta like how politicians IRL will refund a public service or institution and then complain that it's inefficient so they can cut it even more and try to get it replaced by a privatised version that someone they know owns.

Yeah you can see their reasoning when you hover over their portrait and it's almost always something like "this land should be given to ME instead!"

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Good God, this game hates me. Strong, decent king dies of stress pretty young, and his sons all died of disease so it passed to his grandson. Get through the regency unscathed, this king isn't so bad. His first son is a bastard and he has nobody else so I legitimize the kid. Have two more sons. Die of the plague at like 35 and into another regency. This kid grows up, makes a small expansion via de jure claim from a previous war.

Then I get excited because FINALLY a fabrication pays off in a little Welsh county, and I only need one more to make the kingdom title. Before I can finalize a few preparations, he gets assassinated. I lost the Welsh claim and I'm now into my third regency in the last couple days of play

:suicide:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Make your own, cooler, Pope.

How do I appoint an antipope?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bold Robot posted:

How do I appoint an antipope?

It's been a while since I played Catholic, but I think you need free investiture. Then go to your religion tab, and you should have a list of all your vassal bishops. They have a right click decision or a pope hat or something you click to declare them antipope.

That should also give you a cassus belli to seat your antipope in Rome, which would make him the true pope and Rome would end up your vassal.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

My favorite thing to do is buy favours from half the council (usually the unimportant members), start a vote to reduce council power, instantly win due to favours, and then replace the councillors.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Skypie posted:

Good God, this game hates me.

Did anybody end up buying a :thatsCK2: smily? Yeah, that happens sometimes. Is your current character betrothed? If not, you might be able to use this as an excuse to try marrying a distant claimant to something you want.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Coolguye posted:

It's one of those starts that really looks like it could get big super fast if you can navigate the first lifetime correctly, but I haven't figured out how to really do it yet. do note that you don't want to take action against your uncle too quickly - you need to succeed the 'fabricate a claim on the duchy' plot to depose your Basque liege and your uncle is the only character who will always support you.

also tip: matrimarry your daughter to one of the leftover bavarian princes out of the gate to get the prestige you need to swap from occitan to basque. ideally this will also get you karling blood in one branch of your dynasty for later re-integration.

e: karl obviously will eventually be a problem but typically it's fairly simple to wait until he has a few sons and then stab him. he does a shitload of conquering early on and most people hate him, so if he has a couple boys to inherit the entire blob just goes all gavelkind.txt and an independence revolt becomes much easier. just...you know, make sure you get away from gavelkind so the same thing doesn't happen to you.
Don't have my computer with me but what about the Satanists or Assassin's? I know the Assassin's joining event likes to target your non-landed dynasty members if you don't have a wife, so it might kill the uncle too early but with the Satanists you could try giving the kid the evil touch or kidnapping him?

I think Karl is too high up to be blackmailed into a favour or for you to buy it too, and unless they changed it again you would only be able to call him into a claim war.

You could do that, then call your own holy war while he was waging his against the Iberians?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 22, 2019

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

It's been a while since I played Catholic, but I think you need free investiture. Then go to your religion tab, and you should have a list of all your vassal bishops. They have a right click decision or a pope hat or something you click to declare them antipope.

That should also give you a cassus belli to seat your antipope in Rome, which would make him the true pope and Rome would end up your vassal.
Actually, The (new) Pope-in-Rome would only be your vassal if you're an emperor, since the Papacy is a King-tier title. Or you're a King pressing a Fraticelli pope, which is a Duke-tier title. Otherwise, they'll just be independent.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Don't have my computer with me but what about the Satanists or Assassin's? I know the Assassin's joining event likes to target your non-landed dynasty members if you don't have a wife, so it might kill the uncle too early but with the Satanists you could try giving the kid the evil touch or kidnapping him?

I think Karl is too high up to be blackmailed into a favour or for you to buy it too, and unless they changed it again you would only be able to call him into a claim war.

You could do that, then call your own holy war while he was waging his against the Iberians?

the shia are not within range of Dax so the assassins are not available. i thought about satanists but societies end up being a gigantic loving crapshoot when you're on a schedule due to the missions. it might be my best option for getting rid of the infant though, i certainly can't come up with many more options.

you cannot get your liege to press a holy war for you, only a claim, and if he's already waging war against the umayyads then i'm at war with them by extension and i cannot declare my own war. the best i could hope for is for karl to obliterate their levies during his own holy war, which is a really long bet to take.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Keret posted:

Is it possible to downgrade myself back from a Kingdom to a Duchy without either some horrible breaking apart of my realm or by self-owning myself in a failed title-involving war of some kind? I'm Germanic Pagan and I want to have the Fylkirate as my primary title so I can build a custom Kingdom/Empire using it, but I got myself into a subjugation war to take holy sites and accidentally ended up usurping the Kingdom of Saxony and now I'm stuck with it.

I just really want my matriarchal horde of Shieldmaidens to be able to exact vengeance on Christendom under their true banner. :black101:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Do you have any vassal dukes? If you dont, nothing will break apart. If you do have, you will have to revoke them first, or they will become independent when you destroy the kingdom title

Apart from that, you will get an opinion penalty with any vassals from the Kingdom of Saxony dejure after you destroy the title, but thats about it

IIRC the game won't let you destroy your primary title, and there was a "World Conquest done Quick" posted a couple of years back that involved revoking everything until there was one vassal left, setting inheritance to Elective and nominating the vassal as successor so they had a claim, provoking a succession by revoking a city and surrendering when they refuse, then declaring an independence faction to no longer be a vassal.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

catlord posted:

Did anybody end up buying a :thatsCK2: smily? Yeah, that happens sometimes. Is your current character betrothed? If not, you might be able to use this as an excuse to try marrying a distant claimant to something you want.

I'll have to look again when I'm home, but I think he's betrothed to a princess with some claims on Norway. His regency will at least be a bit shorter, but boy are they stressful when you have a chain of them and everyone is plotting against you

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I was the Holy Roman Emperor and had two duchies, and I also had control of all the counties in each duchy. I was assassinated, and the person that hated me the most became Emperor (who likely started the plot to assassinate me) and completely took over one of my duchies. My son was next in succession for both duchies. What mechanic allowed him to do that?

Node fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 22, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Edison was a dick posted:

IIRC the game won't let you destroy your primary title, and there was a "World Conquest done Quick" posted a couple of years back that involved revoking everything until there was one vassal left, setting inheritance to Elective and nominating the vassal as successor so they had a claim, provoking a succession by revoking a city and surrendering when they refuse, then declaring an independence faction to no longer be a vassal.

You are right. I forgot you cant destroy your primary title

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

You can also get shattered by the Chinese now, right? I don't know how easy that is to provoke on purpose though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goon Danton posted:

You can also get shattered by the Chinese now, right? I don't know how easy that is to provoke on purpose though.

Not that easy, you need to get like 5000 grace.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I don't want to appoint an antipope in my HRE game because somehow Popes have managed to gain control of around a third of Italy. I've never seen the Papacy have so much land before, and I'm curious to see how far they can go.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Randaconda posted:

Not that easy, you need to get like 5000 grace.

You also have to be big to be the target

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How far east do you need to be to interact with China?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FreudianSlippers posted:

Iirc, If you control a Silk Road trade post, you can interact with China.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

Depends how far the Protectorate has spread. It counts as China for contact purposes. If there's no Protectorate, roughly it's points east of the Caspian Sea.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jedit posted:

I don't want to appoint an antipope in my HRE game because somehow Popes have managed to gain control of around a third of Italy. I've never seen the Papacy have so much land before, and I'm curious to see how far they can go.

Probably not that much further. They added the de jure kingdom of Romagna to make the Pope try to take over more of Italy rather than just stay with Latium.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ok guys I did it, I'm the King of Wales! And I own a duchy in Scotland plus some! Now I guess the trick will be conquering England before the game is over. Which feels unlikely since it's like 1315 unless I can land some claimants and don't have to fight through another three regencies in a row

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

drat it this thread gave me such Bloodline envy upon learning about the city-builder bloodline that I missed out on by doing the dynasty bloodline that I started over my Venice run and now I can't get a half decent start going for some reason lol

Like the one I just did had Genoa be Ferrera instead for some godamn reason and they build trade posts in the adriatic, which I've never seen happen. Then because of this the lombards embargo war'd me and everything went to poo poo before even 800

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Argh this game makes no sense. I have a son and primogeniture succession. My character is homosexual and not producing any more heirs. All of a sudden my heir becomes barony to some random holding not in my realm and now all of a sudden it says I have heir and the game will be over if I die. Why is my child son all of a sudden disqualified as my heir? He isn't a bishop.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Node posted:

Argh this game makes no sense. I have a son and primogeniture succession. My character is homosexual and not producing any more heirs. All of a sudden my heir becomes barony to some random holding not in my realm and now all of a sudden it says I have heir and the game will be over if I die. Why is my child son all of a sudden disqualified as my heir? He isn't a bishop.

This does not need to be true. The game can be wonky with inheritance mechanics if something changes (like the son inheriting the barony), waiting a few months makes the game recalculate succession if something like that is going on.

But there are real reasons why you might have no heir anymore. Your realm can have the regulated inheritance law, which forbids titles from passing outside the realm. If you son is baron in another country, him inheriting your titles would bring them outside your country, which is why he might not be eligible to inherit. In which case you would play him once you current character dies, but you can't play barons. You wouldn't get a game over if your son was a count instead, but you would still lose your old titles.

So unless the game just needs a bit time to recalculate inheritance, just marry a fertile 20 year old woman and make another heir. Being gay just lowers a character's chances of making babies, it doesn't eliminate it. Do the needful and think of England.

Unless your character is a woman past childbearing age, In that case, I think you could still continue if your son had unlanded children of his own? Or perhaps you could wage war to conquer the barony, making him unlanded again? If you post a screenshot of your char and their son, perhaps the thread could come up with a solution :)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I get the China expansion does China get added to my current game or do I need to start again?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Pretty sure the save won't be compatible.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It should be fine if you started the game after the patch that added China iirc

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Started a new game in Africa, played most of this weekend, inheritance law is eldership, ruler dies and boom the game switches me to elective gavelkind!, my nice, consolidates heartland is now split up and im suddenly so much weaker than my neighboors. gently caress this. No message or anything. Bug I guess.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Well that was really unexpected. So I had declared great holy war, and apparently I captured an expectant mother who was carrying the child of the prior ruler. She gave birth in my jail, which resulted in a weak claim being passed down, and the newborn being of my religion.

Thus due to the claim + religion, the great holy war results went straight to a 0 year old girl. Whoops. Should've/would've killed her if I realized.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 24, 2019

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
In other news, I just found this QOL interface mod ("Bigger Lists") today, but the author took it down?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1660730267

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

lurksion posted:

Well that was really unexpected. So I had declared great holy war, and apparently I captured an expectant mother who was carrying the child of the prior ruler. She gave birth in my jail, which resulted in a weak claim being passed down, and the newborn being of my religion.

Thus due to the claim + religion, the great holy war results went straight to a 0 year old girl. Whoops. Should've/would've killed her if I realized.

what's going on with the border around her heirs portrait?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Zombiepop posted:

Started a new game in Africa, played most of this weekend, inheritance law is eldership, ruler dies and boom the game switches me to elective gavelkind!, my nice, consolidates heartland is now split up and im suddenly so much weaker than my neighboors. gently caress this. No message or anything. Bug I guess.

That's weird! I haven't played in Africa since like, half a dozen expansions ago, but is your new ruler's culture or religion different, by any chance? Since that's the only non-bug reason that I can think of, which could explain why it changed. (Sort of like how you can revert from Tanistry -or at least used to- if you switch culture)
It does remind me that I need to give Africa another go at some stage, though

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Volkerball posted:

It’s blue.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

It's the old duke border. No idea why they changed it to grey back in 2015, drastically reducing glance value.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=484605239

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone have creative suggestions for getting rid of a poo poo heir under primo? Can’t make the guy take the vows, can’t give the guy a bishopric, he went off adventuring at one point but didn’t die, I’m in the satanists but can’t abduct him, I’ve been having him lead my armies but he hasn’t died despite having 0 martial score. Very out of practice with this game so I forget if there are any other good tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Make him depressed and then kill yourself after you become him.