Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone ever say that Lala was "supposed" to be a trans woman in an interview or anything? I never got the impression that she was anything other than a drag queen, and it's completely normal and respectful to refer to drag queens as "she" unless they tell you not to, especially when they're in drag, even when they identify as male.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know that anybody but the fandom ever conflated the two re: this character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, to be fair(?) to Lala, she's such a minor character that it's not like there's any real room to be explicit on that stuff with her, so fair.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SpaceDoctorPhD/status/1098422373102039040

Fullbody is kinda struggling.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's not surprising. Dumb poo poo in the game surrounding it aside, I think most of the competitive scene for that game exists in the West and I don't think original Catherine held such pull with people in Japan it was gonna do amazingly on a rerelease. Combine that with the poo poo surrounding it, it makes sense it'd be doing not amazingly especially coming out sandwiched between two months with big game releases.

Still a little surprised to see it didn't break 100k, but we'll see how when it hits western shores.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Vita version getting merked by Catherine 360 lmao

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I don't remember Catherine making any splash aside from being a tad mature in 2011.

Edit: Almost broke a million units on both PS3/360 worldwide, this is gonna flop so hard.

Healbot fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 21, 2019

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Practically anything not named Monster Hunter is selling like poo poo on the PS4 over there. The console situation is absolutely dire, so Switch is sweeping the market now, even harder than in the west.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk why they bothered with the Vita release and didn't plan for a Switch port, might've taken some extra dev time but you'd at least be appealing to the two biggest markets while also still offering a portable option

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Those things aren't really comparable though, it's a rerelease of a game people have already played before, what would be the conversion rate of those people who played it/owned it and buy it again? Q2 is a brand new thing from a much more popular franchise even if they are somewhat related.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Lots of people were confused at the Vita announcement, what with the Switch release killing any semblance of a Vita game buyers market in Japan.

Although the project may have been a trap to retire Hashino early.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i'd compare the numbers to the other remakes and not q2

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, its not exactly surprising a remake of a relatively recent game isn't breaking records. I imagine it didn't cost much to make either.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Extremely cheap to make rereleases that turn a profit off of modest sales are hard coded into the atlus DNA at this point. 5R will probably do well if they put it on switch but lol otherwise

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Extremely cheap to make rereleases that turn a profit off of modest sales are hard coded into the atlus DNA at this point. 5R will probably do well if they put it on switch but lol otherwise

It still baffles me that Atlus hasn't re-released Persona 4 on a home console aside from as a PS2 classic. That game is still great. The only update it would need is a small graphical update. The game still looks pretty good for a PS2 game. It's pretty much guaranteed to make boatloads of money.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It still baffles me that Atlus hasn't re-released Persona 4 on a home console aside from as a PS2 classic. That game is still great. The only update it would need is a small graphical update. The game still looks pretty good for a PS2 game. It's pretty much guaranteed to make boatloads of money.

They did... on the Playstation TV :troll:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No point releasing another version if I can't play as a cute girl.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tired Moritz posted:

No point releasing another version if I can't play as a cute girl.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Just beat Strange Journey R for the first time (normal difficulty, chaos, finished the Womb and got the new ending). Pretty cool. The Empyrean Ascent is kind of annoying but the teleport puzzles are easy and actually have a logic to them, the new last boss felt well-balanced but lmao I guess you're just poo poo out of luck with the Torah mechanic if you don't have a well-rounded demon pack.

I should be burned out as gently caress on this series rn but I'm thinking of jumping into something else instead until Sekiro comes out; if I haven't played SMT4 or Apocalypse which one should I pick up first? SMT:A sounds like it's a better game but also that the story and setting and all that poo poo make more sense if you've played SMT4 already.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Just beat Strange Journey R for the first time (normal difficulty, chaos, finished the Womb and got the new ending). Pretty cool. The Empyrean Ascent is kind of annoying but the teleport puzzles are easy and actually have a logic to them, the new last boss felt well-balanced but lmao I guess you're just poo poo out of luck with the Torah mechanic if you don't have a well-rounded demon pack.

I should be burned out as gently caress on this series rn but I'm thinking of jumping into something else instead until Sekiro comes out; if I haven't played SMT4 or Apocalypse which one should I pick up first? SMT:A sounds like it's a better game but also that the story and setting and all that poo poo make more sense if you've played SMT4 already.
Apocalypse is indeed the better game from a mechanical standpoint, even if there are a couple of things about Apocalypse that piss me off in ways that nothing else in Vanilla SMT IV did.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

4A is an all around better game, but it starts near the end of 4's neutral route and it doesn't bother to explain to you most of the context from 4, so if you wanted to fully understand everything you'll probably wanna start with 4

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ideally you would play 4 and then Apocalypse. If you're only ever going to play one, imo pick Apocalypse which does an ok, not amazing, job of explaining the backstory.

4 Had some really, really annoying design decisions, the story gets a bit sloppy and rushed at one point, and the game feels like it was made for $5 but I honestly love something about the feel of that game. Looking forward to a mainline SMT with a budget in 2025

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ideally you would play 4 and then Apocalypse. If you're only ever going to play one, imo pick Apocalypse which does an ok, not amazing, job of explaining the backstory.

4 Had some really, really annoying design decisions, the story gets a bit sloppy and rushed at one point, and the game feels like it was made for $5 but I honestly love something about the feel of that game. Looking forward to a mainline SMT with a budget in 2025
That bolded part, right there, is what I love about SMT IV. Again, by all objective measurements and technicalities, SMT IV Apocalypse is a better game, but there is something so difficult to explain about that feel that Vanilla IV has that Apocalypse does not.

Additionally, haven't the mainline games always been fairly "punk-ish" in development, what with them literally finding out the hardware limitations for the SNES both with SMT I and II and then sorta playing it by ear?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I hate P4 because how they solve the mystery sucked rear end!!!!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Something I'll always grant SMTIV is that it does both the 'reveal of the game's scale' and 'post-apocalyptic cityscape' better than most other games I can think of. It even wins out against the other mainline Megatens in the latter, since while I love Nocturne's presentation a lot more the city isn't exactly linearly hosed-up. I don't know if Apocalypse does that better, though, I haven't played it.

The best comparison I can make is to Fallout 3 or 4, where the starting section deliberately does very little to prepare you for the nature of the world outside of it. But even then I feel like SMTIV does it better; Mikado's elaborate enough that you can reasonably believe that it's going to be the center of everything, and then you actually hit Tokyo and are struck by what the game's really gonna be like. The vibrancy of the setting goes a long way towards making it feel like it could be lived in, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

the mystery in general sucked rear end?

who could be the killer? hmmm, could it be the guy whos really pushy about getting us to blame other people and is also the only character who's completely superfluous to the plot and doesn't have an s. link?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Endorph posted:

who could be the killer? hmmm, could it be the guy whos really pushy about getting us to blame other people and is also the only character who's completely superfluous to the plot and doesn't have an s. link?

It should have been Dojima.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Something I'll always grant SMTIV is that it does both the 'reveal of the game's scale' and 'post-apocalyptic cityscape' better than most other games I can think of. It even wins out against the other mainline Megatens in the latter, since while I love Nocturne's presentation a lot more the city isn't exactly linearly hosed-up. I don't know if Apocalypse does that better, though, I haven't played it.

The best comparison I can make is to Fallout 3 or 4, where the starting section deliberately does very little to prepare you for the nature of the world outside of it. But even then I feel like SMTIV does it better; Mikado's elaborate enough that you can reasonably believe that it's going to be the center of everything, and then you actually hit Tokyo and are struck by what the game's really gonna be like. The vibrancy of the setting goes a long way towards making it feel like it could be lived in, too.

SMTIV does such a fantastic job with its atmosphere that even all these years later it has still stuck with me. If V can do even half as good of a job with that aspect I'll be pretty happy about it.

(Though what I'd really love to see would be a version of IV with Apocalypse's gameplay changes)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Tired Moritz posted:

It should have been Dojima.
Nanako Dojima.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

that seriously sucked

yo we solved it yeay!

*goes outside *

actually nah

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

Don't you mean it's the guy with the SLink where he straights up confesses to you cause you too are a murder weirdo?
Jokes aside I wonder if they threw that in the rerelease to make it less obvious but then again I assume everyone already knew it by that point too.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I'd put the reveal of Tokyo in IV somewhere right beneath the reveal of Lost Shinjuku in Etrian Odyssey 1 Both are good but SMTIV leads with too much technology so that you're expecting some sort of "after the bomb" scenario.

Endorph posted:

It was literally a Scooby Doo mystery. Your options for the killer are a bunch of unrelated people, or that one guy who is always present for every crime and talks too much to the main character and is clearly connected to this because if he gets the title deed he can sell the land for millions. They could have gone the Bladerunner PC route and have variable killers, or go for the gut punch and make Dojima the killer. Instead it was Tohru "Bitches and Whores" Adachi. I get that Persona is all about the human antagonist just being a pawn to a larger cosmic force, but compared to literally every game prior Adachi was such a weak villain.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ikutsuki and Strega are orders of magnitude worse IMO.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The next villain of a Persona Arena game should be Kandori brought back to life by Nyarlathotep again to host a fighting tournament.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sometimes I forget P3 even had antagonists outside the looming mortality of man.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I definitely feel that Nyarl is pretty easily the best Persona villain, though admittedly I can't even remember who was the big bad in P1.

As a villain Adachi is not that great but I like his character in general (and the Jester S. Link is still IMO one of the best ones they've done thus far) and Johnny Yong Bosch's performance is memorable. He's no Yoshikage Kira but that's such an insane standard to be measured up against and he is at least an adequate facsimile that I can at least appreciate the attempt to do so even if the execution is not perfect. It's at least something over the limpwristed attempts for whatever P3 and P5 were going for.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

It’s an FF7 Midgar level of reveal. The incredible world map theme doesn’t hurt

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I played Persona 3 once when it came out. I completely forgot about Strega and just assumed the scarf kid was the antagonist until Nyx. I think for antagonists in Persona, Tatsuya Suou is my gold standard. He's a really sinister guy, he's in your face from early on, and his connection to the main character is one of the better gradual reveals in the Persona franchise. Even the idea of "I am the inverse of the main character" which Adachi later embodied was done better with Tatsuya.

Nate RFB posted:

I definitely feel that Nyarl is pretty easily the best Persona villain, though admittedly I can't even remember who was the big bad in P1.
It was Kandori, the head of SEBEC. He was using the reality warping they had developed to achieve godhood

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

The next villain of a Persona Arena game should be Kandori brought back to life by Nyarlathotep again to host a fighting tournament.
Man, I dunno. I'd love to see him back, but dude already had a rather raw deal by the end of his second appearance.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Brought To You By posted:

I think for antagonists in Persona, Tatsuya Suou is my gold standard.
Sudou. Suou is the protagonist :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wark Say posted:

Man, I dunno. I'd love to see him back, but dude already had a rather raw deal by the end of his second appearance.

Well yeah, he'd suffer even more.

It would be a chance for him to meet the gynoids built using his technology though.