Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Johnny Joestar posted:

i might be wrong but i think it has to be the exact specific item they want, even if there's alternatives that are basically the same thing

Check the farm store. Most quests that award/require blueprints sell the blueprint in the corresponding store for exactly your situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Canuckistan posted:

Well shiiiiiit. Just got hit by a game breaking bug. I can't build planter boxes because I don't have the planter planbook. My inventory must have been full when I got the quest and it dropped the book. The quest also timed out or never really started as it's no longer in my journal. WHatsherface thinks that the quest is ongoing and won't do poo poo for me.

I looked it up and the devs know this is an issue. Guess it's time to restart. On the plus side I can start whooping Higgins rear end right from day 1 instead of wasting 10 days figuring poo poo out.

The planter box book is also sold in Sophie's store. I guess it makes sense since she's Emily's grandma. Probably too late now though if you were restarting :v:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Yeah they started putting recipe books for quests on vendors to hopefully stopgap game-breaking bugs like that.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Well I collected 2 of every relic and donated them and everything I could build to the museum, maxed out my land, fully upgraded all of my buildings, and did the final few main quests. Pretty much just time to get all the King fish and finally get hitched, so rounding third pretty much.

It's been a fun time - the pacing is great, and the tangibility of your contributions to the world is engaging.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah they started putting recipe books for quests on vendors to hopefully stopgap game-breaking bugs like that.

Though I ran into the weird problem where I bought the book initially and used it, then got the quest one. I can't get rid of the quest one even after I've done the quest D:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Verviticus posted:

i guess i just dont see why unless the game gets drastically harder

It's this:

Fhqwhgads posted:

I thought the factory was a downgrade at first but once I figured it out and threw everything into the factory storage, I have that making everything I could ever need for me while I now spend all day macking on anything with a pulse in town and being the Jim to Higgins' Dwight. The factory is love. The factory is light.

When I transitioned from my electric-powered workshop to a factory I found I had more time in my Portia day to go and do things that aren't incessantly checking my machines to make sure they're working and making me things (because the factory handles that.) A boon for trying to get the last few annoying relic pieces from the dig sites :argh:

Or figuring out who likes what gifts to pump my friendship up with them.

In that way, the Factory is almost as much of a reward as it is an upgrade to your crafting capacity.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

gently caress you Higgins - I’m glad your deadbeat sister wastes all your money.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like how Higgins hates you so much that (end-game spoilers) he apparently lets your dad use his workshop for free, for days, just because he wants to see you lose the builder bout.

Speaking of your dad, I enjoy how the game gives you dialogue options during that whole episode to adequately reflect the player's feelings - that you don't really give a poo poo about him and the builder battle lacks any intended emotional resonance because he's been absent from the entire game and too much of the main character's life to earn it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm currently working on the aftermath of a fight that gave me a totally anime weapon Rogue Knight Sword. How much main quest is left?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm currently working on the aftermath of a fight that gave me a totally anime weapon Rogue Knight Sword. How much main quest is left?

Almost none.

You’ll get one more big quest. When that’s over, you get the “how you did” end scenes. You can still play after that, but there’s no more plot. (Aside from side plot as you advance friendships)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

skeleton warrior posted:

Almost none.

You’ll get one more big quest. When that’s over, you get the “how you did” end scenes. You can still play after that, but there’s no more plot. (Aside from side plot as you advance friendships)

Cool that's how it felt. I feel like I barely did any side stuff, didn't get married or upgrade my house to level 4. But overall I think I actally did most things. Game's good, but I probably won't keep playing it for much longer unless it gets built on later.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The character stuff is kinda content-light but I did like it. It helps to show off what the game is good at, for example Phyllis: helping to set up her clinic and having her actually go there every day instead of Dr. Xu's clinic feels pretty good. I'm given to understand Ginger has a nice storyline too, though I haven't played through it yet, maybe on a repeat run.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's this:

When I transitioned from my electric-powered workshop to a factory I found I had more time in my Portia day to go and do things that aren't incessantly checking my machines to make sure they're working and making me things (because the factory handles that.) A boon for trying to get the last few annoying relic pieces from the dig sites :argh:

Or figuring out who likes what gifts to pump my friendship up with them.

In that way, the Factory is almost as much of a reward as it is an upgrade to your crafting capacity.

yeah, once i realized it does all the intermediate poo poo without having to worry, i liked it a lot more. and that the assembly level 3 pulls from it is good too

man, the loving final mission is stupid. crystal and carbon fiber can eat my rear end

edit: warning to anyone else that got fed up and did this: if you plant crystal trees and try to pass the 14 days by sleeping, make sure you check on them every day or they will mysteriously miss growth time

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 22, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wish more storylines weren’t locked behind having a romantic relationship.

Story of my life.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The crystal requirement for Titanium is loving horseshit. At least when recipes suddenly demanded poplar and purple resin there were a billion trees you can go hack down to get the required amount, once you know what trees to look for. With crystal the game just punches you in the dick. "What, you haven't been growing 2-3 crystal trees for at least a couple months now? Too bad because there's only 3-4 nodes in the entire map that respawn twice a week if you're lucky, unless you want to run the stupid loving ghost cave for a couple extra nodes!"

Carbon Fiber at least you can get from civil corps commissions.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i literally just planted two trees and slept a month away. at that point in the game, who cares, but what a stupid waste of time that mission is. there are a lot of missions that have that kind of bottleneck (ironwood was one of them, poplar wood was another), but you could always saturate a day's worth of time farming it up.

the carbon fiber i got from just running a boss room on the final dungeon like 30 times. i didnt bother with most hazardous ruins because the combat in the game sucks so i couldn't commission it unfortunately

edit: :siren: in case new people are reading this thread, plant at least two fertilized crystal trees by winter :siren:

in retrospect, i kinda wish i had planted a lot more stuff. auto-fertilizing is nice and data disks are basically free if you do any mining at all

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 22, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought you could get crystal from nodes around amber island.

And the collapsed wasteland.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zesty posted:

I thought you could get crystal from nodes around amber island.

And the collapsed wasteland.

Right. There are at most 2 nodes on Amber Island at any given time, and two nodes in the Collapsed Wasteland. Each give around 2-4 crystals, and only respawn every three days or so. So with the absolute best luck you can about 16 crystal every three days, which is enough for 5 titanium bars.

You need 90 bars to beat the final quest.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

My amber island usually has a large node and two or three smaller ones.

It's good to know to start stocking up, though, thanks!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I never ended up using the powered floors or auto fertilizing structures, I just got Ack to do everything for me. I need to plant more big trees now that I have the time/space. And I do like that everyone has their own questlines, so even if I'm done with the main story I'm still getting character quests so it feels like I'm not just endgame grinding.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Fhqwhgads posted:

I never ended up using the powered floors or auto fertilizing structures, I just got Ack to do everything for me. I need to plant more big trees now that I have the time/space.

Auto-fertilizing is great.

The only downside is that you'll probably have to buy fertilizer from granny in order to fuel any huge setups. It can get surprisingly expensive.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

eh, capturing one dumbass llama every two weeks to pay for stuff like that isnt too onerous, thankfully. the training thing is easy enough that you can do it at 2x speed

is there any way to sequence break this game? like jumping across rivers or climbing up rock faces

Fhqwhgads posted:

I never ended up using the powered floors or auto fertilizing structures, I just got Ack to do everything for me. I need to plant more big trees now that I have the time/space. And I do like that everyone has their own questlines, so even if I'm done with the main story I'm still getting character quests so it feels like I'm not just endgame grinding.

yeah, but on the other hand the floors can be done on like day 5 if you really wanted to

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

If you can sequence break anything, I haven't found a way to do it. I've done a good amount of running around, wall climbing, and attempting to jump over water bodies. Invisible walls. Invisible walls everywhere.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The funny thing about those sorts of invisible walls is that you can get pretty high by jumping a lot while pressing into them. You can peer into places like the tree farm well before you're allowed to enter.

Once you're allowed to visit those invisible walls disappear =(

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Verviticus posted:

eh, capturing one dumbass llama every two weeks to pay for stuff like that isnt too onerous, thankfully. the training thing is easy enough that you can do it at 2x speed

is there any way to sequence break this game? like jumping across rivers or climbing up rock faces

yeah, but on the other hand the floors can be done on like day 5 if you really wanted to

You can get in all the zones with creative jumping where some might need a horse. The resources are there but there is nothing to do with them and all the buildings and stuff don't have entrances yet so it is entirely pointless as far as I could tell. Fun though. The most interesting one is the north river. Jump to the side from the top of raised bridge and vector to the other side and release your horse when you get close and you should manage it.

All the invisible walls have tops you can walk on (at about the height of the church or higher).

Also, don't get onto the trees in the swamp and then cut them down. It took 2 hours of constantly respawning over the water before a monster managed to plink me down to zero. :downs:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I haven't really seen the pressing need for fertilizer, it improves yields but so far unfertilized yields have kept me well-stocked on pretty much everything I need. I planted crystal trees super early on though, I knew they were valuable even before hearing about the last mission because I remember all the gems I got from them in my previous run. Only time I used fertilizer was on the giant seeds to try and get King crops (so far it's been 100% successful, I have a chest full of king crops).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's really not that hard to make fertilizer though? You can put in a couple commissions for mucus at the civil corps for cheap and have plenty, you'll be drowning in animal bones after a couple Llama killing sprees, and you can get about 15-16 feces a day by running a circuit of the field behind your house + the grazing areas at the Ranch. Llamas and Mr. Ladybugs also drop it fairly regularly.

I've got three of each type of tree and eight regular planter boxes I keep stocked with cotton and rainbow flowers, and have had no issues supplying steady fertilizer. :shrug:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sydin posted:

It's really not that hard to make fertilizer though? You can put in a couple commissions for mucus at the civil corps for cheap and have plenty, you'll be drowning in animal bones after a couple Llama killing sprees, and you can get about 15-16 feces a day by running a circuit of the field behind your house + the grazing areas at the Ranch. Llamas and Mr. Ladybugs also drop it fairly regularly.

I've got three of each type of tree and eight regular planter boxes I keep stocked with cotton and rainbow flowers, and have had no issues supplying steady fertilizer. :shrug:

My blender is busy making pigments so I can dye everything, and sometimes resin after I use it all on concrete/hardened clay. Also I'd rather use my civil corps commissions on getting furs and tempering liquid and other stuff from the ruins (gently caress farming delicate fur forever). Granted I haven't made a second blender because I haven't needed it, but I also haven't gone on a llama killing spree since the very early game so I don't really have very many bones either.

I would imagine you could make creating fertilizer relatively painless, but I haven't seen payoff that makes it really worth it. Harvests are good enough without fertilizer.

Edit: Basically I've devoted all my blender + civil corps commission space into making quality leather instead of fertilizer.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 22, 2019

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I think it is easier to wait for a 70% market day and buy 999 fertilizer from the farm store than make it yourself. It costs a bit of gold, but it is chump change compared to the cost of the later land and building upgrades.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

grrarg posted:

I think it is easier to wait for a 70% market day and buy 999 fertilizer from the farm store than make it yourself. It costs a bit of gold, but it is chump change compared to the cost of the later land and building upgrades.

Yeah mucus is for important things like Ironwood Planks, not for making sticky poops.

Also I go through like, 26 a day, making it myself is going to take more time than it is making money to buy it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I think the best fishing spot that I've seen is the desert oasis fishing location. You get lovely salmon (30 each), but then also gladiator fish (280) and wise fish (320), which means you're pretty constantly getting fish that are worth quite a bit. The fishing spot next to the first hazardous ruins is a good early spot until the desert is unlocked. Are there better spots in the future?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nope, it's the best place for fishing if you're looking to maximize cash. Gladiator fish show up in both later locations but along side things like Koi or Bubblefish.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hey, as a heads up because the wiki is unclear on this:

Once you've upgraded your house to the 4th level (the marble mansion), there's a "Change Appearance" option. It costs like 100,000 gols and a bunch of high-end materials, and increases the foot print of your house, so it's easy to assume that once you do it you'll get even more floor space inside. But you don't - you're just paying double the cost and using extra space for a more "Victorian mansion" look.

gonna do it anyways

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I definitely wish the final house upgrade gave more space. It's a huge mansion looking thing by the final upgrade from the outside but then you go inside and it's three rooms and a lovely attic upstairs.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

New project is to get rid of all my grass by slamming down those fertilizer tiles. Gonna go full Monsanto with Ack and my spouse if I can ever find the Mysterious Man to buy the engagement ring.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

New project is to get rid of all my grass by slamming down those fertilizer tiles. Gonna go full Monsanto with Ack and my spouse if I can ever find the Mysterious Man to buy the engagement ring.

The mysterious man shows up on the last 2 days of every month and his location is marked on the map. There's also a quest for Emily that forces him to appear the next day, iirc.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 24, 2019

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I'm well past that Emily quest, so I'm just killing time doing other people's questlines until he shows up again. I "finished" the main game in spring year two, now I'm in summer just bullshitting.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Got hit by that bug where you do not get the master fishing pole for completing the second step of the fish collection. That really kills my motivation to continue this save at the beginning of autumn in the first year. I finished the collection to get the pole so I could fish up the 150k+ gold I need for land and equipment upgrades.

Think I'll shelve the game until they patch some more, if they do. They have gone fairly silent since shortly after the 1.0 release.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

llamas might be a faster way to make that money to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

grrarg posted:

Got hit by that bug where you do not get the master fishing pole for completing the second step of the fish collection. That really kills my motivation to continue this save at the beginning of autumn in the first year. I finished the collection to get the pole so I could fish up the 150k+ gold I need for land and equipment upgrades.

Think I'll shelve the game until they patch some more, if they do. They have gone fairly silent since shortly after the 1.0 release.

You put in all of the emperer fish and the two king fish?