Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Everybody wants to defend Elagabalus but no one wants to defend Gallienus! He was a SURVIVOR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Odds are Elagabalus was a terrible emperor by virtue of the fact he was a teen. It is very very rare for the kid emperors to be anything but awful for obvious reasons. The stories of sexual depravity are pretty boilerplate Roman shittalking of someone who is disliked so it's not worth taking all that seriously.

That's why I cringe a little when people are like "Elagabalus should be rehabilitated he was just attacked for being the first transgender ruler!" which is a take I've seen come up more recently. I mean, sure maybe? But you're making a lot of assumptions on top of the big assumption that the stories about him are accurate, which is real dicey.

If you're going to go that direction you're much better off with like Hadrian was 100% gay as hell, which is pretty easy to support. Though the better way to look at it is our ideas about LGBT people are derived from our modern culture and don't have particularly good application to ancient cultures.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Epicurius posted:

Did Sophocles write about Cinyras and Myrrha? I didnt think he did, but I could be wrong.
I got mixed up and thought you were talking about Oedipus.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Which Roman Emperors can be definitively determined to be dumber than Donald Trump?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
If you're going to list any of those rulers as getting undeservedly bad raps, it's probably either Nero or Commodus. Nero wasn't a great Emperor, but during his reign, he concluded a successful peace with Parthia and settled the Armenia problem, put down a revolt in Britain, successfully rebuilt the city after the great fire, and was probably pretty popular outside the senatorial class, given the folk worship of him after his death, the fact that a bunch of Neroian imposters showed up, and that Otho and Vitellus both used Nero as a way to try to legitimize their rule. Nero's biggest mistake is that he took a bunch of time off to play athlete in Greece.

Commodus was just largely indifferent, turning all sorts of authority to Cleander because he couldn't be bothered.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Didius Julianus bribed the Praetorian guard to make him emperor with money he didn't have and didn't have any way to get. There's a reason he was only emperor for five weeks.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 22, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which Roman Emperors can be definitively determined to be dumber than Donald Trump?

None of them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This might literally be true and it makes me laugh.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I'm not sure there has ever been an elected head of state dumber than Donald Trump. The only competitor I can think of is Charles II of Spain.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure there has ever been an elected head of state dumber than Donald Trump.
does the defendant in the cadaver synod count

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh there is no doubt that Trump is the dumbest human being ever elected to high office. There have been more brain dead inbred people who have inherited titles though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Epicurius posted:

If you're going to list any of those rulers as getting undeservedly bad raps, it's probably either Nero or Commodus. Nero wasn't a great Emperor, but during his reign, he concluded a successful peace with Parthia and settled the Armenia problem, put down a revolt in Britain, successfully rebuilt the city after the great fire, and was probably pretty popular outside the senatorial class, given the folk worship of him after his death, the fact that a bunch of Neroian imposters showed up, and that Otho and Vitellus both used Nero as a way to try to legitimize their rule. Nero's biggest mistake is that he took a bunch of time off to play athlete in Greece.

Commodus was just largely indifferent, turning all sorts of authority to Cleander because he couldn't be bothered.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Didius Julianus bribed the Praetorian guard to make him emperor with money he didn't have and didn't have any way to get. There's a reason he was only emperor for five weeks.

Nero and Commodus seem to have been genuinely bad people on a personal level, though. Nero at least was probably more competent in some sense than Elagabalus; what I’m objecting to is more the idea that Elagabalus was somehow one of history’s greatest monsters.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 22, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Epicurius posted:

Wait are you saying that if I tell the captain of the praetorian guard that I'm totally good for a bribe of a gazillion denarii I can be emperor for a month

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The late Hapsburgs come to mind there.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Nero and Commodus seem to have been genuinely bad people on a personal level, though.

Most of the Roman Emperors were genuinely bad people on a personal level. But most of the people who lived in the Empire didn't interact with them on a personal level. So it seems to me, if you're judging them as emperors, the bigger question than, "Was this person moral or immoral" is, "How did they govern, and what affects did their governance have on the empire as a whole, and the people living in it?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

Wait are you saying that if I tell the captain of the praetorian guard that I'm totally good for a bribe of a gazillion denarii I can be emperor for a month

For as long as the Praetorian guard are willing to wait for the money, at least.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Most of the Roman Emperors were genuinely bad people on a personal level. But most of the people who lived in the Empire didn't interact with them on a personal level. So it seems to me, if you're judging them as emperors, the bigger question than, "Was this person moral or immoral" is, "How did they govern, and what affects did their governance have on the empire as a whole, and the people living in it?"

Nero’s effect on the lives of Jews, Christians, the 400 slaves of Pedanius, etc. was not great either.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Nero’s effect on the lives of Jews, Christians, the 400 slaves of Pedanius, etc. was not great either.

Sure, but very little of that was particularly controversial. The Jews were rebelling against the empire. The Christians were a crazy cult that started fires, and the slaves of Pedanius killed their master.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

The archives of the King of France or the Elector of Bavaria (to name the two that I'm familiar with) are full of them begging their generals for swift, decisive victories, or planning what they thought would be small wars that would be over quickly.

Where did they get the idea that that would be possible? Had it been possible when whoever taught them about war (their parents?) were active or is it just failure to grasp the scope of what they are attempting?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

aphid_licker posted:

Where did they get the idea that that would be possible? Had it been possible when whoever taught them about war (their parents?) were active or is it just failure to grasp the scope of what they are attempting?

Well in ancient history, as mentioned, there were quite a lot of stories told as "and then the One Big Battle finally happened and the good guys won"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I definitely get the sense sometimes that big wars in history happen at intervals where the last generation's memory of war fades and they've left just enough stories of glory left to inspire the current generation to go and do something stupid.

I'm not sure how you'd figure the math to tell if that's really the case though.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh there is no doubt that Trump is the dumbest human being ever elected to high office. There have been more brain dead inbred people who have inherited titles though.

I'm trying to think, and maybe Louis XVI? Not for most of his reign where he was merely incompetent and indecisive, but after the national assembly was butting heads with him and by some theories he was actively trying to bring the whole thing down? Charles I also comes to mind, trying to scam and embezzle his way through running England, being totally incapable of dealing properly with anyone? Still more competent than Trump though. Capable of making intelligible speeches.

The key points being actively working directly contrary to the interests of the country they rule, probably beholden to a foreign power, trying and failing to stage a fascist takeover, having a previous career full of failures and cons, and being personally unable to coherently function without his handlers leading him by the nose, I dunno, some kind of colonial governor or puppet dictator?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

cheetah7071 posted:

Even more hilariously, basically the only thing Didius Julianus managed to achieve during his 'reign' was devaluing the currency - which, you'd think would set off alarm bells for the Praetorians still waiting for their payoff, but it seems they were still willing to give him a chance until rivals started marching on Rome...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm trying to think, and maybe Louis XVI?
nah, he was a decent dude and an amateur watchmaker, you cant see trump crafting poo poo. likewise charles I was a good family man. the thing about trump is he has no redeeming factors whatsoever. there is no culture or subculture on earth in which he's a good person.

edit

quote:

The key points being actively working directly contrary to the interests of the country they rule, probably beholden to a foreign power, trying and failing to stage a fascist takeover,
the literal quisling?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 22, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

I don't know. They're not stupid, it's just everything is so...drat...difficult in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. Everyone has huge plans that lead nowhere, I mean people talk about Wallenstein's "admiral of the Baltic" debacle as later evidence that he was mentally unsound, but giant plans that seep away into the sand are routine

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

probably beholden to a foreign power
lots of kings of poland-lithuania have been bribed by russia

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Sure, but very little of that was particularly controversial. The Jews were rebelling against the empire. The Christians were a crazy cult that started fires, and the slaves of Pedanius killed their master.

Killing the slaves of Pedanius, at least, actually was controversial with the general public. Hence Nero sending in the army.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Honorius was pretty loving stupid.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I definitely get the sense sometimes that big wars in history happen at intervals where the last generation's memory of war fades and they've left just enough stories of glory left to inspire the current generation to go and do something stupid.

I'm not sure how you'd figure the math to tell if that's really the case though.

Well it's hardly ancient, but WWII feels like a huge screaming counterexample to this. Most people in a high political position had first accounts of the previous war (maybe the Soviets the least so?) and few people of them were in a rush to repeat the last war.

I think wars happen just because the people in charge see fighting as easier than not fighting. Big wars happen when lots of people feel that way at the same time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Well it's hardly ancient, but WWII feels like a huge screaming counterexample to this. Most people in a high political position had first accounts of the previous war (maybe the Soviets the least so?) and few people of them were in a rush to repeat the last war.
the soviets had all fought in the previous two wars, which happened back to back
and some had fought in a third

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
how about all you trump-like people go talk about your favourite president on some other place

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Silver2195 posted:

Nero and Commodus seem to have been genuinely bad people on a personal level, though.

Nero definitely seems to have been an rear end in a top hat but the evidence is reasonably good that he wasn't a bad emperor, he just was one of the first to really start trying to strip power from the senatorial class and oh boy do they not like that at all. He also pissed off the Christians, so our two historical sources for Nero are not kindly disposed.

Commodus was bad generally but not in like an apocalyptic way, he wasn't going to destroy the empire or anything.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GUNS posted:

the soviets had all fought in the previous two wars, which happened back to back
and some had fought in a third

Well I was thinking of WWI, assuming there wouldn't have been too much continuity. But yeah between the Civil and Polish wars, no shortage of experience to go around. Plus Finland and Japan for good measure.

Hogge Wild posted:

how about all you trump-like people go talk about your favourite president on some other place

Remember when we thought GWB was gonna be the worst president? Good times.

Trump blows but Buchanan still reigns imo

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure there has ever been an elected head of state dumber than Donald Trump. The only competitor I can think of is Charles II of Spain.

President Maduro in Venezuela currently giving him a run for his money

President Buenaventura Báez of the Dominican Republic might have been smarter than Trump, and was definitely a better politician, but he was an impressively terrible leader. Over the course of his career, he fought against independence from Haiti, tried to sell the country to the United States, succeeded in selling the country to Spain, then somehow weaseled his way back from a luxurious retirement in Madrid (during which he was trying to get the Spanish to appoint him governor) to become President again after Spain was finally defeated and driven back off the island in a revolutionary war. He served five nonconsecutive terms, three of which ended in coups d'etat. His career finally ended with a permanent exile in Puerto Rico.

Really though Trump is like the Platonic ideal of a populist tyrant as described by ancient Greek pro-democracy or oligarchy writers. Dig into the history of Latin America or post-colonial Africa and there's tons of examples of Presidents that are equally dumb but with far fewer checks on their power to cause trouble. The first generation of leaders in newly independent post-Colonial Africa almost all made terrible, terrible political and economic mistakes. Most of those who came to power in elections were quickly overthrown and frequently killed, and the few who weren't usually worked hard to make it impossible for them to ever lose an election.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Trump is just a East Coast version of Ronald Reagan.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Honorius was pretty loving stupid.

His successor Valentian III is even worse somehow. At least Honorius didn't shank Stilicho in the back after a meeting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Trump is just a East Coast version of Ronald Reagan.

This is one of the dumbest takes I've ever heard. Reagen won his elections in landslides. Had actual political experience for decades before becoming president. Didn't have a cluster gently caress of a staff with people resigning or getting fired every week. They're completely opposite foreign policy wise. He left office with one of the highest approval ratings since they started polling for approval. Trump is withdrawing from the INF treaty that Reagan signed. They're both old and they both ran as Republican, that's where the comparisons end.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

euphronius posted:

Who would study internet posting. Really.

Everybody in the year 4000, probably. How often in history do you get a solid record of writing from commoners?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

underage at the vape shop posted:

Everybody in the year 4000, probably. How often in history do you get a solid record of writing from commoners?

At the rate we're going, everybody in the year 4000 will be mutated rat people, though

If there even are any people left

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No way would Rome have surrendered if Hannibal marched on the city. He didn’t have enough men to even surrounded the city and no siege equipment.

Siege equipment can be built on the spot. All you need is wood, and people who know how to work wood.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gaius Marius posted:

. They're both old and they both ran as Republican, that's where the comparisons end.

I wasn't being entirely serious. Their main commonality is that they're both B-list celebrities with dementia.

The upside of Trump's clusterfuck revolving door of underlings is that it will be harder for him to do as much damage as Reagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

Siege equipment can be built on the spot. All you need is wood, and people who know how to work wood.

And it can also be easily burnt, if you don't have enough men to even keep the city bottled up. Also the people you send to get the wood in the first place need to be heavily protected, or the not-encircled city can just send raiding parties to murder them all. Which is kind of hard if you don't even have enough manpower to keep the siege up.

Besides, your siege lines will be incredibly weak if you are foolhardy enough to siege a fortified city with not enough men. Kind of invites a counter-attack from the forces inside the city.

All told, Hannibal probably proved how good he was at his job by staying the hell away from Rome and trying instead to make the Roman allies rebel and join his side.