Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Separate post because it's semi unrelated to the above, is $650~ a good price for a 2080? Not sure if it comes with any games but recently Frys has been sending out e-mails about the first 40 people to show up on X day get a 20% off coupon on nearly anything in the store. While I would really like a 2080Ti if I was going to upgrade to juts be done with any hardware upgrades for this old thing probably until my actual next build, a 2080 would still be a rather solid jump up from a 980Ti.

It's a great price, not too much more than the best deals you can get on used 1080 Tis. Well "great" in the sense of what's available now. It doesn't sound like Fry's is doing the free game promotion, though.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, $650 is a solid price for a 2080. Most are in the $700-$750 range these days.

Thing is, you can get a used 1080Ti for ~$550 regularly on eBay these days. It'll perform basically the same as a 2080, so if you're not down on the RTX feature train, it'd be the better bang for your buck.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The one thing making we want the RTX goodie would be the Q2 RTX build.... And Mechwarrior 5.
But I agree a used 1080Ti is also a great card if I can snag one for $500~

There is one that has been on craigslist here for a while now in the area, but I feel suspect as to why it's been on there for so long.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The best bet used to be the monthly 10-15% off ebay coupons, but I don't think they've had one since December :(

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I saw a computer on craigslist for a long time I offered them half what they were asking and picked it up with a friend. (Actually they were totally cool, but it's better to have someone and not need them than get killed)

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Cavauro posted:

Consoles do and will continue to shape the release of all PC games for the foreseeable future regardless of hardware power differential. If anyone is obsessed with any hardware features they should pray that those features are included in the next PlayStation and Xbox, or you are looking at a handful of games providing middling support.

The German NVIDIA Head of Product Management, Lars Weinand, told in a closed conference of the Dreamhack in Leipzig that neither MS nor Sony will include Raytracing tech.
In his opinion the next Console Gen will lose serious momentum in the visual and fps battle and fuel PC Masterrace even more. Comparing the same games with RTX on and [AMD solution TBA] on PC vs Xbox and PS5 without RT will widen the gap here.

AMD will follow with a Raytracing Solution anyway, this tech in affordable consumer GPUs will dominate the next decade because we already saw the saturation in the resolution areas. 8K TVs won’t be bought and a Samsung completely misjudged the market there.

So the Evolution of Game Engines and graphics will fundamentally made on Raytracing Features, not resolutions.

The transition from full HD to 1440p and 2160p is The New Sherrif in Town, and even Weinand admitted that we are still far (at least 2 gens) away from GPUs that will push 144 and 165 fps on 4K on Ultra settings.

If you have a minute spare btw just watch this: https://youtu.be/iGpU3DicbLQ
It was an Amiga Demo Party winner in 1991 and features a Raytracing sequence that was mind blowing in that scene back in the day.
Just as an impression how far we have come.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 21, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

When even turbonerds can barely say which they prefer between RTX on/off in games, I feel like it's not going to be the thing that kills consoles.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
The potential for RTX-enabled improvements is pretty big, though. You can check out stuff like the Doom demo to see what it can pull off. The problem right now is that the 20-series cards aren't powerful enough to really leverage RTX features and high performance on complex scenes, and the software packages for RTX are obviously in pretty early stages of maturity. So, no, RTX isn't gonna kill consoles this year or next. But by the time the PS5 is starting to get a little long in the tooth, it might be a very different story. Only time will tell.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Just :lol: if you think game devs are going to support raytracing en masse before consoles support it. As much as it sucks, games are developed for console first and then ported to PC.
At best you'll get a half-assed implementation for titles sponsored by Nvidia or AMD (once they finally get in on the raytracing game).
Any thinking that this is the feature that'll save the PC Masterrace is a pipe dream.

E: Also just :lol: if you think PC gaming is going to die any time soon.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

Currently I’m running 1080p setup (well technically it’s two 1080x1200 monitors but I only game on one screen). And my CPU is a i5-9600k.

Looking at maybe going for 1440p with high refresh this year some time though.

If you're running just 1080p @ 60hz, I think you could hold off until you get a new monitor. The 970 should handle 1080p fine still. Unless you want to max everything out in ultra.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The best selling console is an Nvidia SoC. Switch RTX coming soon bitch

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cygni posted:

The best selling console is an Nvidia SoC. Switch RTX coming soon bitch

Man, you wanna talk about a company that refuses to push the performance envelope, Nintendo has got you covered.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

an SoC that had an upgraded version by the time the switch was released

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mr.PayDay posted:

In his opinion the next Console Gen will lose serious momentum in the visual and fps battle and fuel PC Masterrace even more.
Source your quotes. Or otherwise please don’t use terms like PCMR here.

Yes anyone who works for Nvidia will tell you raytracing is the next big frontier, but that doesn’t mean they’re actually right, it means they have financial incentive to promote it. Until Nvidia brings RTX down to the masses it’s a tech demo feature that only gets adopted by whatever games Nvidia strikes promotional deals with.

quote:

even Weinand admitted that we are still far (at least 2 gens) away from GPUs that will push 144 and 165 fps on 4K on Ultra settings.

That’s fine, because nobody needs that. That’s like buying an IMAX theater and putting on one of those motion interpolation TV modules that ruins the movie. Frame rates above 90 are only practical in first person shooters and the like, and anybody playing an FPS seriously isn’t using the kind of screen that can take advantage of 4K anyway. Your eyes can’t track what’s happening on a 50” display like it can on a 27” display, unless you’re sitting very far away. And if I was Nvidia I wouldn’t bank on people having bigger gaming rooms in bigger rooms sitting many feet away from the screen.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Separate post because it's semi unrelated to the above, is $650~ a good price for a 2080? Not sure if it comes with any games but recently Frys has been sending out e-mails about the first 40 people to show up on X day get a 20% off coupon on nearly anything in the store. While I would really like a 2080Ti if I was going to upgrade to juts be done with any hardware upgrades for this old thing probably until my actual next build, a 2080 would still be a rather solid jump up from a 980Ti.

I would buy a 2080 for that price if I needed one yes for sure

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

That’s fine, because nobody needs that.

Yeah, but that's how halo-tier PC products get sold. You're right, no one needs that stuff, but that doesn't mean that people won't want it if it's available. The mere fact that 165Hz@4k is (or will be, anyhow) available will automatically mean there's a market for cards that can push that at SUPER ULTRA MAXXX settings, even if it's visually indistinguishable from a few steps down.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rabid Snake posted:

If you're running just 1080p @ 60hz, I think you could hold off until you get a new monitor. The 970 should handle 1080p fine still. Unless you want to max everything out in ultra.

But move to a 2070? That seems like a good spot for 1440p + high refresh right?

If yes, what are some good brands/editions of card? There are so many! Thinking a middle of the line EVGA. That way I can keep an eye on prices.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

EdEddnEddy posted:

I just bought a 2080 from Frys using that deal for $550 on Monday (not including tax) so unless they aren't selling the MSI Ventus 2080 anymore you should get that one.

Also you probably shouldn't really care about the games considering that Anthem sucks currently and BFV... I mean maybe if you're really into it but Frys is so drat cheap right now, just buy BFV if you feel like you need it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

But move to a 2070? That seems like a good spot for 1440p + high refresh right?

If yes, what are some good brands/editions of card? There are so many! Thinking a middle of the line EVGA. That way I can keep an eye on prices.

For today's games, yeah, the 2070 should do pretty well for you.

Any of the non-blower cards from EVGA or MSI are good. There's minimal benefit in paying extra for the upgraded cards, since they all clock to roughly the same point anyhow. You get a little better cooling and slightly faster performance from the more expensive versions, but generally not anywhere near in line with the cost difference.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Taima posted:

I just bought a 2080 from Frys using that deal for $550 on Monday (not including tax) so unless they aren't selling the MSI Ventus 2080 anymore you should get that one.

Also you probably shouldn't really care about the games considering that Anthem sucks currently and BFV... I mean maybe if you're really into it but Frys is so drat cheap right now, just buy BFV if you feel like you need it.

I missed out on the last coupon but I may have to make the visit if they have another one this Friday/Saturday.

Also another thing that may be pushing PC Gaming up from the decline it once was, was that portable PC Gaming finally got to a point that you don't have to lug around a 17" desktop replacement to get decent performance to play up to the latest games, now laptop graphics are within a stones throw of desktops and as long as you aren't shooting for 4K gaming, you can do pretty good with the 1050+ laptops that are still able to be thin, light, and have good better life.

The Mobile 20XX series is a bit of a letdown since there is really no way to shoehorn in normal GTX performance and any appreciable RTX performance into the same thermal envelope, but either a die shrink or design improvements in the later versions may help that. If any platform could use a new Turing GTX line it is Mobile. The 1660GTX would probably be a really good laptop chip, and well, they more than likely will eventually cave and drop some 1770 and 1880's down the line. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
There's a weird disconnect here in people talking about "gaming".

"Games are developed for console first" begs the question that "games" = the few dozen or so AAA titles the big studios deign to drop on us a year. By the hours spent gaming those don't even register, as "games" = Free2Pay mobile cashgrabs.

Then there's "actually push the envelope of gameplay" games which don't come out of committee but are worth playing and the studio size means they only generally target one platform, often (but not always) PC.

I'd consider total-overhaul mods as games in their own right, and that's absolutely PC exclusive.

Harik fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 22, 2019

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

DrDork posted:

I'm still waiting to see what the prices they think they can command with such hardware is going to be. 16GB of RAM right now is at least $100 by itself. With the PS4 Pro still selling for $400, I wouldn't be surprised to see the first wave of next-gen consoles launching at $5-600. Inflation alone would bump the PS4's launch price to ~$450 in 2019, and some of those guts have actually gotten more expensive in the last 5 years.
They're not expected until late 2020, so that's a fair chunk of time to get prices down - and needless to say you can command a hefty discount as opposed to PC GPU manufacturers when you order millions at a time.

I recall that Richard Leadbetter of Digital Foundry said in a recent video he expects the new consoles might even have 24gb (albeit that could be 'sorta' segmented - 8 GB for the OS/caching on DDR4, but the developers would never interact with it and just see 16GB of GDDR6 which would be fully allocated for their game).

quote:

It's always an iterative thing, too: consoles launch a new generation with pretty solid price:performance vs PCs, then within a year or two PCs are running loops around them again because they've bumped up another generation of CPU/GPUs. 6 years later, when it's about the end of a console's lifetime, PCs are hilariously ahead. Then another console gen drops and the cycle starts all over again.
Yeah, but two things:

1) They may launch with several tiers out of the gate.
2) Moore's Law is dead. We're slowing down significantly. There's just not pace of improvement there once was where a new PC GPU doubles its predecessor in 2 years.

quote:

Backwards compatibility is also a real shot in the dark. PCs can manage it because they're still basically the same platform that they've been for the last 20+ years, more or less. The work to put together emulators for a PS1, 2, 3, and 4, is non-trivial, and almost certainly not going to be offered for free. Look at Nintendo: they've got a pretty healthy back catalog, but by no means is it anywhere near complete, and you get to play your old games by buying them all over again.
MS has backwards compatibility down pretty well (with enhancements) now, and that will continue with the next xbox. I don't know about PS2/PS3, but every indication the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible with the PS4, and may work like it does now on the Xbox - with variable refresh rate games able to get a locked 60 by taking advantage of some of the new power, even if the entirety of the new architecture is not visible to the game.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 22, 2019

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Harik posted:

There's a weird disconnect here in people talking about "gaming".

"Games are developed for console first" begs the question that "games" = the few dozen or so AAA titles the big studios deign to drop on us a year. By the hours spent gaming those don't even register, as "games" = Free2Pay mobile cashgrabs.

Then there's "actually push the envelope of gameplay" games which don't come out of committee but are worth playing and the studio size means they only generally target one platform, often (but not always) PC.

I'd consider total-overhaul mods as games in their own right, and that's absolutely PC exclusive.

All that is true - but AAA/AA games are what drive the need for high-end GPU's, which is why this topic made its way into this thread. Those games will always exist, what maybe is in question is if those GPU-demanding titles will begin to show up less on the PC.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

All that is true - but AAA/AA games are what drive the need for high-end GPU's, which is why this topic made its way into this thread. Those games will always exist, what maybe is in question is if those GPU-demanding titles will begin to show up less on the PC.

This generation of consoles had far far less console-exclusive titles than any previous generation, so what's giving you the idea that the trend is suddenly going to reverse?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Pretty sure you can get gtx1050ti cards in like $550 laptops now. That sort of performance and price should vastly help pc game sales

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrDork posted:

Yeah, but that's how halo-tier PC products get sold. You're right, no one needs that stuff, but that doesn't mean that people won't want it if it's available. The mere fact that 165Hz@4k is (or will be, anyhow) available will automatically mean there's a market for cards that can push that at SUPER ULTRA MAXXX settings, even if it's visually indistinguishable from a few steps down.

My point was that it’s self defeating. 4K has a purpose and variable refresh rate is part of that future but only up to about 90hz. This is because the same display you use to be bowled over by the atmospherics of God of War isn’t going to be the same set you use to play CSGO competitively. We’re heading in a world of quality displays and quantity displays, with a few jack of all trades units for people who want both but can only afford one.

“Real” 4K and 75hz is the likely new 1080p/60 for both PC and console. There will be some cards that can do 100hz probably, but anyone who buys monitors that do that are burning money. Don’t play FPS at a PC on a screen over 32”. On a couch is fine obviously. Take it from a guy whose PC setup used a 40” TV for five years. I was dumb.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

EdEddnEddy posted:

[pcie3 on x79]... Which had to be enabled through a quick reg entry that tells the Nvidia drivers to stop limiting it to 2.0 after every Driver install...
Haha was about to respond to the "make sure you aren't single channel/in right pcie mode" posts with the same thing - pretty easy to forget fixing that after every bloody Nvidia driver update (not that it probably makes much difference even with a 1080ti).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fuzz1111 posted:

Haha was about to respond to the "make sure you aren't single channel/in right pcie mode" posts with the same thing - pretty easy to forget fixing that after every bloody Nvidia driver update (not that it probably makes much difference even with a 1080ti).

Didn't someone figure out that the only gpu so far to be lane limited is the 2080ti?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VelociBacon posted:

Didn't someone figure out that the only gpu so far to be lane limited is the 2080ti?

Even then, that's *only* at PCIe 3.0 x8. x16 still has way more than enough overhead.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Judging from the evidence presented in this thread, research projects on 20 year old games drive the need for highend GPUs. :v: Machine learning and other big server poo poo drives the need for massively parallel computing silicon and wafer defect harvesting drives the need to sell the usable rejects as a consumer product.

Jokes and snark aside, I'm not sure the premise is right, either. AAA titles are spec'd to consoles so you can "play" them on equivalent hardware. They just load up the e-peen options and really let you shovel money at better graphics and FPS. (And sometimes the ports are so terrible you have to use brute force)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The thing is, even though AAA titles are developed for consoles, there's not a whole lot of reasons not to release them on PC as well since the environments are so similar now, and since AAA titles are so expensive to develop there are strong incentives to try to reach every market segment you can possibly reach. Meanwhile, there are still entire genres that essentially only exist on PC, such as mapgames (e.g. Paradox games, the Total War franchise, Civilization, etc). Then there's the fact that even though many of the big esports games are cross-platform, the high level competitive scene is almost exclusively on PC, for a multitude of reasons.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
At this point, your purchase of a GPU isn't defined by your desire to play a game. It's about whether what you see meets your arbitrary expectations.

Games play on a wider variety of hardware than there's ever been. You have to go very far back to find a machine that can reach the point of "simply unplayable" unless a game is just terribly coded. The rest of it is just pampered babies with premium expectations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wanted to run games well on 2560x1600@72hz, also be ready for VR, which is why I bought a 980Ti.

It's gonna be 4 years old today and still works fine for these requirements. There's some VR games where it has issues, but in those games even a 2080Ti has the same issues, so I don't see any reason why I'd upgrade. I'll probably buy a radeon on the cheap off ebay later this year when my zen3 linux box is ready, though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I agree that "PC gaming will die" is stupid but neither "map games" nor high level competitive e-sports is what sells huge numbers of games/machines to the average consumer, though. Nor do mods - I would never touch a Bethesda game on consoles because of how much they rely on players fixing them with console commands and mods, but they sell gangbusters on consoles even though you can't get anime followers with huge tits on them as easily.

Third party publishers may not do exclusives much or at all anymore, and Microsoft don't seem to care whether you get yourself locked to their ecosystem through the latest Xbox or Windows Store on PC, but Sony is still spending a lot on huge exclusives which still end up leveraging every bit of what the hardware provides on consoles at the end of their lifetime. And third party AAA titles still look good even on the base consoles, to those average consumers.

Raytracing and everything exclusive to :pcgaming: is not going to lead to a faster decline of an aging console generation any more than PC advantages did in the past.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Back to DLSS, they've already patched the Metro implementation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/at6wrg/metro_exodus_dlss_improvements/

Maybe they can salvage this after all.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

Back to DLSS, they've already patched the Metro implementation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/at6wrg/metro_exodus_dlss_improvements/

Maybe they can salvage this after all.

Much better. Maybe now someone can finally do that qualitative comparison between 4K/DLSS vs. 1800p/TAA/upscale or 1440p/DLSS vs. 1200p/TAA/upscale! You can definitely see the "thin object" artifacts in the backgrounds wires, but it's tough to tell how noticeable it is in motion (and upscaling would probably introduce some aliasing artifacts to those same features).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Quick question:

I currently have a 970 running on a Corsair 600W power supply.

I'm currently eyeballing a 2070 Strix. My power supply should be able to power it, right? :ohdear:

Cheers.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yes, you'll be fine as long as that PSU isn't like 8 years old.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The GTX 1660ti reviews dropped. It's pretty much a $280~ GTX 1070 in performance with 6 gigs of GDDR6 ram and no RTX features.

edit: Anandtech review
Gamers Nexus

edit: also it's pretty short. but still a 2 slot card. 2.75 slot my mistake

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Stickman posted:

This generation of consoles had far far less console-exclusive titles than any previous generation, so what's giving you the idea that the trend is suddenly going to reverse?

Why do you think MS started buying up studios left and right? Because they had the same idea - exclusivity is dead - then Sony lapped them with the PS4. God of War has sold over 6 mil, Spiderman has sold over 9 million. How do think The Last of Us 2 will do? Perhaps 'less' exclusives than in years past, but they still matter a fuckton.