Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
You can pretty much remap all your character controls but is there a way to remap vehicle controls? Specifically looking at jumping in mechs. It's not particularly pleasant to have to hold in the stick the whole time I want to run the jump jets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

DisposableHero posted:

You can pretty much remap all your character controls but is there a way to remap vehicle controls?

No, but mechs can also jump with the x button. Bit of a pain to aim while doing that, of course.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Zed Di Dragon posted:

No, but mechs can also jump with the x button. Bit of a pain to aim while doing that, of course.

Wait, really? Did I somehow miss trying that blindingly obvious button? drat. Thanks.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a version of the giant Crane Mech that can fly around. The model looks like it has rockets on it's back, but neither the regular version or the military version seems capable of doing so.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

remusclaw posted:

Is there a version of the giant Crane Mech that can fly around. The model looks like it has rockets on it's back, but neither the regular version or the military version seems capable of doing so.

When the mech gets knocked down, the rockets are used in the animation for standing up. So that is all that they are there for. Probably easier to animate rockets than rolling over to stand up.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Orvin posted:

When the mech gets knocked down, the rockets are used in the animation for standing up. So that is all that they are there for. Probably easier to animate rockets than rolling over to stand up.

Ah I see, and I also see why I didn't know that, as on the mission where you brawl with a big guy who can knock you down, I was playing Wing Diver and melted the crap out of him before my Brother even managed to close in on the big fella with the mech.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
EDF
EDF
EDF

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

:emptyquote:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Whoever wrote earlier that in single-player it was a good idea to keep your fellow EDF troops alive if you can: they were right.

In a few levels I would normally try to kite as Fencer became much quicker to get through if I kept running into medical boxes in the middle of the battle to heal the troops. While the enemies are distracted by the EDF troops I can focus up close with the auto-cannons instead of firing missiles from afar. There were a few maps where I could not keep the EDF troops alive but they served their purpose.

Was this heal-troop mechanic in EDF 4.1?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I want to say in 4.1 the only class who would heal teammates in their squad was rangers. But yeah, EDF squaddies can be really helpful. Unless you're using explosives cause they tend to stand right in front of you :unsmigghh:

E: It became a drinking game of take a shot every time I dropped air strikes right on top of us because an AI teammate walked in front of me right when I fired the beacon

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

E: It became a drinking game of take a shot every time I dropped air strikes right on top of us because an AI teammate walked in front of me right when I fired the beacon
My favourite is spending 4.9 seconds locking onto a target in the horizon with Spritefall, only for a ranger for get in the way the last 0.1 seconds, calling the Spritefall on myself and killing every npc in the level.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

nnnotime posted:

Whoever wrote earlier that in single-player it was a good idea to keep your fellow EDF troops alive if you can: they were right.

In a few levels I would normally try to kite as Fencer became much quicker to get through if I kept running into medical boxes in the middle of the battle to heal the troops. While the enemies are distracted by the EDF troops I can focus up close with the auto-cannons instead of firing missiles from afar. There were a few maps where I could not keep the EDF troops alive but they served their purpose.

Was this heal-troop mechanic in EDF 4.1?

You could heal troops under your command in 4.1 the same way you do in 5.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Kanos posted:

You could heal troops under your command in 4.1 the same way you do in 5.
:doh: That's what I get for not reading the manual, or reading any splash-screen game tips.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:
PSN FLASH SALE. EDF5. REGULAR $48, DELUXE $72
:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

DeNofa posted:

PSN FLASH SALE. EDF5. REGULAR $48, DELUXE $72

And if anyone is on the fence about EDF5, I've started uploaded some gameplay videos to youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1f13-cvzEKuZVsfhZDpK4_0Qny1plqj7

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Zed Di Dragon posted:

My favourite is spending 4.9 seconds locking onto a target in the horizon with Spritefall, only for a ranger for get in the way the last 0.1 seconds, calling the Spritefall on myself and killing every npc in the level.

Another reason why the Spritefall is the perfect weapon is the time between picking a target and firing is exactly enough time for two rolls which will helpfully put you a smidge outside of the Spritefall's firing range.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMSSGydndQ

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
wccftech put out an Iron Rain preview video. "L2: Release Babies"

Also, an interview here with producer Nobuyuki Okajima with some interesting info. Six player co-op and 4v4 PVP options available. Split-screen still available but no idea whether it is limited to offline play or not. All weapons are unlocked with gems dropped by enemies/rewarded for completing missions, so no more crates to collect apparently.

Mission Packs 1 and 2 available in February and March for EDF 5.

quote:

My last question: Is there a possibility that Earth Defense Force 5 will be released for PC?

Maybe you remember Earth Defense Force 4.1. After the launch, there was a PC release on Steam. I think that [Earth Defense Force 5] will have one as well, but I do not know when.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 20, 2019

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

Mission Pack 1 already available. Good to know about 2!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Also, an interview here with producer Nobuyuki Okajima with some interesting info. Six player co-op and 4v4 PVP options available. Split-screen still available but no idea whether it is limited to offline play or not. All weapons are unlocked with gems dropped by enemies/rewarded for completing missions, so no more crates to collect apparently.

:getin:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Chronically late, I got EDF5 on PS4 after deciding not to hold out for the pc port, so watch it be announced next week. Until then, D43M0N_au_ on PSN.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sounds promising for EDF 5 on PC at some point :)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Man this game is chunky, the viscera really adds to the impact (and further murders the frame rate, so I'm on board)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao, we just did level 40 on hard to kill the mobile oppression palace and after two hours of shooting it with choppers we finally kill it, only to squad wipe as it's blowing up. It counted it as a win. :allears:

I wish anything the Air Raider did besides limpets could hit the underbellies of things but oh well! I used the ambulance to heal us up and run away from frogs.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao, we just did level 40 on hard to kill the mobile oppression palace and after two hours of shooting it with choppers we finally kill it, only to squad wipe as it's blowing up. It counted it as a win. :allears:

I wish anything the Air Raider did besides limpets could hit the underbellies of things but oh well! I used the ambulance to heal us up and run away from frogs.

If I’m remembering correctly, Spritefall will penetrate and hit the cannons on the bottom? But yeah you’re definitely SOL for shooting its b-hole. The Grape isn’t awful for it. One of the Nixes (Nixi?) could work too.

The best strategy is to have a non-AR do it, for sure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DeNofa posted:

If I’m remembering correctly, Spritefall will penetrate and hit the cannons on the bottom? But yeah you’re definitely SOL for shooting its b-hole. The Grape isn’t awful for it. One of the Nixes (Nixi?) could work too.

The best strategy is to have a non-AR do it, for sure.

I tried the satellite lasers on the other spaceships and it seemed to have no impact (or at least displayed no graphic that usually registers it when the bottom opens). Driving like an idiot away from the mega lasers in my little ambulance was pretty fun though. The Nix just couldn't survive long enough to get under it on the failed tries, so the ranger called in the Brute chopper and we kept suicide running it from a makeshift airfield until it (and eventually, we) died - a wing diver held back to pick us up when it exploded.

It took four Brutes all their ammo before the stupid thing died, and I put anti-air turrets on its nose to shoot the drones and torpedoes on the way in. It was exhausting but a lot of fun! :v:

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried the satellite lasers on the other spaceships and it seemed to have no impact (or at least displayed no graphic that usually registers it when the bottom opens). Driving like an idiot away from the mega lasers in my little ambulance was pretty fun though. The Nix just couldn't survive long enough to get under it on the failed tries, so the ranger called in the Brute chopper and we kept suicide running it from a makeshift airfield until it (and eventually, we) died - a wing diver held back to pick us up when it exploded.

It took four Brutes all their ammo before the stupid thing died, and I put anti-air turrets on its nose to shoot the drones and torpedoes on the way in. It was exhausting but a lot of fun! :v:

Oh yeah, for sure the Bulge Laser/Spritefall have no impact on transportation ships or the mothership glowhole. I'm talking about the 30+ cannons on the bottom side of the mothership. That said, if you had a WD, they should be able to fly up in that hole and wreck the mothership once the cannons are down.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DeNofa posted:

Oh yeah, for sure the Bulge Laser/Spritefall have no impact on transportation ships or the mothership glowhole. I'm talking about the 30+ cannons on the bottom side of the mothership. That said, if you had a WD, they should be able to fly up in that hole and wreck the mothership once the cannons are down.

They weren't in our team channel but seemed hesitant to do that, especially since we couldn't effectively kill the cannons in a reasonable period of time :shrug:

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Pulled the trigger on half price EDF 5. Any recommended discord or groups to join?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Retro42 posted:

Pulled the trigger on half price EDF 5. Any recommended discord or groups to join?

I would also like to know this so I can finally use Discord in some capacity, otherwise post your PSN name and add me: D43M0N_au_

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

They weren't in our team channel but seemed hesitant to do that, especially since we couldn't effectively kill the cannons in a reasonable period of time :shrug:

Follow-up to this as I just hit 70% completion: don't waste your time with Mission 40. It's kind of a joke to beat on Hardest and below without the weapon limit in place. We had a Fencer using some multi-lock-on high-altitude whatever-the-gently caress missiles and I was playing Air Raider using Spritefall Maximum, Spritefall Beta (the single-shot sniper thing), and a Naegling. The cannons died in no time and our Ranger killed the mothership glowhole within a few seconds. It's not a hard mission, but it's also not a fun mission.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Quicksilver6 posted:

How long did it take edf 4 to go to steam after ps4 release? I wanna try EDF 5 already but don't have a ps4....

Also if I understand correctly, it has the sprint button for Rangers from Insect Armageddon? Thank God, that was the best little tweak that game did.

I liked IA but I know it's not as popular. I think the problem was they tried to copy Japanese EDF in the US instead of going full 50s Roger Corman movie. You know, gruff sarges, a guy named Kowalski getting killed every mission...

IA is still a pretty good game, it just kind of pales in comparison to any of the other EDF games. I'd like it it there was a little less randomness to the drops in the main series, and I thought that a more traditional XP system would work well for EDF. It's just a shame that there were so few weapons to pick from in IA, and they were all pretty boring compared to the arsenal in the other games.

Ideally, I think the random drop system as it is in EDF5 would be just about perfect with 2 tweaks. I think that a duplicate weapon should always be an upgrade to the weapon you have, rather than just a re-roll of stats and keeping the better rolls, and I'd like some kind of credit system to purchase or upgrade weapons that the drop system isn't supplying me with. I get that the gatcha-style mechanics are part of the appeal of the series, but I was more willing to put up with grinding drops in 2006 than I am today and I don't think it would tarnish the magic of the series if it was a little more player-friendly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u9MuyC4d1M

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

sold.

it's very different and i hope it's good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I look forward to riding my trusty ant into combat

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Mayor Mike Haggar, fresh from his 6 month coma, has strapped on the EXO-skeleton and is ready to blast some bugs.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I look forward to riding my trusty ant into combat

I’m still hoping for a pet giant ladybug to be added someday

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am suddenly actually excited for Iron Rain.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

drat I hope this one is good. 2 weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

https://youtu.be/gtLGsEPyFpQ