Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

JBP posted:

The only movie I've ever seen is Battlefield Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

MysticalMachineGun posted:

People with young kids (hello) and those with special needs would absolutely still need personal cars in the future.

It's very hard to meet up with a bus schedule when it's a struggle just getting everyone out the door in a timely fashion. And then there's all the luggage you have to take everywhere...

I love buses and trains but they're out of the question for family trips until at least we don't need the pram.

I know personal experience changes person to person but we've never had a car and we have a 5 and nearly 3 year old. Lived in Launceston till the 2nd was born then moved to Melbourne when she was a month old. It's not that hard but we do use friends and relatives and their cars probably half a dozen times a year.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

People with kids don't need a car (most families in the world have never had a car and survive). It is a much higher quality of life to have a car but people are seriously asking if we should be eliminating steel production due to the carbon emissions of coking coal, a car is an order of magnitude more probable to be cut back on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How do I get one kid to violin and one to soccer safely and under my supervision?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

How do I get one kid to violin and one to soccer safely and under my supervision?

husky sled

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Poor Blimothy and Charlizabeth had to take the bus to harpsichord practice and I almost fainted at the mere thought!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

JBP posted:

Well if you have violin and soccer in the local area you live, by walking! Otherwise you might have to get out of the helicopter and trust one of them to get to and from the event on their own (or with another family member as is done in most places with fewer cars than families).

e) Although, where I live, motorbike is an allowable answer and indeed a very common answer.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Endman posted:

Poor Blimothy and Charlizabeth had to take the bus to harpsichord practice and I almost fainted at the mere thought!

Please, Sepiroth and Cloud

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Well if you have violin and soccer in the local area you live, by walking! Otherwise you might have to get out of the helicopter and trust one of them to get to and from the event on their own (or with another family member as is done in most places with fewer cars than families).

e) Although, where I live, motorbike is an allowable answer and indeed a very common answer.

Yeah you know soccer (or you know all sports) teams play in a different place each time it's not the same children each week.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

Yeah you know soccer (or you know all sports) teams play in a different place each time it's not the same children each week.

If only there was some way to transport large amounts of children to a single destination...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

If only there was some way to transport large amounts of children to a single destination...

I want to travel with them and watch the game while I also get another thing done. They can take the bus but I'll drive after I drop the other one

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

You Am I posted:

Please, Seifer and Cloud

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Endman posted:

We had something similar in Glenorchy down here in Tas. They’ve only just put the council back together after it was suspended for years and the money is all just assumed MIA permanently.

Don’t forget the Liberal local government minister actively working to dismantle/undermine the Glenorchy council members elected on a platform of cleaning up the fallout.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lid posted:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/rea...15c29193bed7850

THIS IS THE PERFECT TIME TO PUBLISH THIS ARTICLE AND NOT AS IF ITS SEVERAL YEARS OVERDUE OR INSANE

Heard an ad on 5AA for Magane (Megane?) property group. "With Labor potentially removing negative gearing it's never been a better time to invest in property..."

...? Things are loving unknown in the very near future, it's never been a worse time!

Tasmantor posted:

I know personal experience changes person to person but we've never had a car and we have a 5 and nearly 3 year old. Lived in Launceston till the 2nd was born then moved to Melbourne when she was a month old. It's not that hard but we do use friends and relatives and their cars probably half a dozen times a year.

PT in Melbourne is way more accessible than in the northern suburbs of Adelaide :)

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Well, I'd asked for Bathurst style thread updates only to drop in and find everyone talking about cars.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Beep beep

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Surely a series of self driving pod cars that can connect up to a bus-hub thing would be infinitely more useful than everyone having one or even multiple cars? Summon your pod or book the time it should arrive (subscription service perhaps, rather than publicly owned if that'll shut the neolibs up?), it makes its way to the main arterial road and hooks up to a bus which carries it at high speeds down the road. When you're close to your exit your pod splits off, picks up its own power and takes you to where you needed to go. They can be totally electrical, and the batteries could be switch in/switch out like the original electric buses. They'll swap out a battery from the bus.

I'm not saying we should do that, but there's certainly many more options then burn all cars, cars are a required evil, and lets just do public buses and trains. European countries are swapping to electric vehicles, we might as well get on board that wagon, and when the self driving vehicle concept proves itself safer than human drivers, ban all human drivers.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

e-bikes for all with e-stackhats

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Konomex posted:

Surely a series of self driving pod cars that can connect up to a bus-hub thing would be infinitely more useful than everyone having one or even multiple cars? Summon your pod or book the time it should arrive (subscription service perhaps, rather than publicly owned if that'll shut the neolibs up?), it makes its way to the main arterial road and hooks up to a bus which carries it at high speeds down the road. When you're close to your exit your pod splits off, picks up its own power and takes you to where you needed to go. They can be totally electrical, and the batteries could be switch in/switch out like the original electric buses. They'll swap out a battery from the bus.

I'm not saying we should do that, but there's certainly many more options then burn all cars, cars are a required evil, and lets just do public buses and trains. European countries are swapping to electric vehicles, we might as well get on board that wagon, and when the self driving vehicle concept proves itself safer than human drivers, ban all human drivers.

- The Secret Diary of Elon Musk

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

I want to travel with them and watch the game while I also get another thing done. They can take the bus but I'll drive after I drop the other one

You know how people say that society is full of people who want it to change, but dont want to change themselves?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

- The Secret Diary of Elon Musk

Not enough calling people he dislikes paedos.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
"No see what we need is a metal tube that will carry the children to soccer practice,"

"No thanks, Mr andusk. we've taken a cursory look at your proposal, and have determined the tube won't even fit on most suburban roads."

"Kid fucker."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMdKnZKOhwk

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That movie was so loving stupid

I loved it

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wouldn't say loved it but that scene has a special place in my heart where the initial d intro is always playing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's no non-car solution for Perth because they let the city sprawl so loving much

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

NTRabbit posted:

There's no non-car solution for Perth because they let the city sprawl so loving much

Well, there is. People created this problem, people can solve it. Tossing it into the "too hard" basket is a copout that absolves people of responsibility for making things better for all the people who come after.

I think we do need to move to a society of private austerity and public luxury.

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008
That's some myopic poo poo right there; how can we keep our car centric culture without cars.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

JBP posted:

lol you are so loving annoying

Endman
May 18, 2010

Konomex posted:

Jesus loving Christ just catch the bus

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
run weekday service levels on weekends

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

pikachode posted:

lol you are so loving annoying

Sometimes life isn't perfect and that's very annoying :angel:

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

MysticalMachineGun posted:

PT in Melbourne is way more accessible than in the northern suburbs of Adelaide :)

It sure is. I suppose there is no way to change that though :( and everyone and everything will just have to stay the same for ever.

JBP posted:

JBP posted:

Sometimes life isn't perfect and that's very annoying :angel:

Dickhead

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Living by without a car is easy with kids!!

Lives in inner city with heaps of PT

Annoys friends who actually pay for their loving car when they need it

Complains about cars and car culture but has MacBook and iPad

Endman
May 18, 2010

teacup posted:

Living by without a car is easy with kids!!

Lives in inner city with heaps of PT

Annoys friends who actually pay for their loving car when they need it

Complains about cars and car culture but has MacBook and iPad

teacup more like pisscup

This conversation has only been about public transport in the inner city you troglodyte, you imbecile, you loving moron

Catch the bus

Endman
May 18, 2010

Sent from my iphone

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Morning Auspol. Just a note to say that, since many people (incl. folks here) have requested them over the years, posters of the 'You Can't Waste Your Vote' comic are finally available!

POSTERS FOR POSTERS

Portrait style:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/zpxlng/works/37176691-you-cant-waste-your-vote-portrait?p=poster&finish=semi_gloss&size=medium

Horizontal style:
https://www.redbubble.com/people/zpxlng/works/37176189-you-cant-waste-your-vote-horizontal?p=poster&finish=semi_gloss&size=large

They're print-on-demand and shipped from the US, so bound not to be cheap. But they're there if you want 'em.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Being unable to imagine how a city and it's infrastructure could be better or even slightly different is the most Australian thing.

It always was and always will be this way and nowhere on earth do they successfully do something different.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mad Katter posted:

Being unable to imagine how a city and it's infrastructure could be better or even slightly different is the most Australian thing.

It always was and always will be this way and nowhere on earth do they successfully do something different.

Everywhere else is poo poo mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

JBP posted:

Everywhere else is poo poo mate

:australia: