Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
What are the non spill holders you've tried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How are u posted:

huge ceramic pottery plant bowl from like home depot or something, something that's like 20lbs and she won't be able to gently caress with. Anybody have tips?

Thats a good idea. or fill the hollow underside part of a bowl with concrete?

Otherwise there's heavier no spill things like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PET-WEIGHT...E30P4J526G3CMKZ

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve been thinking about getting a backpack carrier for an 8lb bengal. Are the cool plastic bubble packs good or are the mesh ones better?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Snowy posted:

I’ve been thinking about getting a backpack carrier for an 8lb bengal. Are the cool plastic bubble packs good or are the mesh ones better?

The bubble can act as a magnifying glass and trap heat under direct sun, but has a better view. The mesh breathes better but the view is less good. So it kind of depends how long they'll be in it and what it's for.

At least for my cat (not a bengal but loves outside trips), I put him in a shoulder strap soft carrier and put his harness on him. He sticks his head out, but he stays inside and the harness makes sure he can't go far. Like so:

If he can't stick his head out to see, he screams nonstop which is super embarrassing on public transit. I tried the backpack and even then he hated actually riding in it no matter how chill he was at home. :(

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

FelicityGS posted:

really helpful advice

Thank you! We’re replacing a crappy old carrier for her, we’ll probably go with mesh now, either shoulder or backpack.

We also just got a Maine coon kitten so we’re going to try a harness on him, hopefully he likes it!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Has anyone with the ArfPets automatic feeder been able to repair it? Mine abruptly started dispensing very little food, even though I can tell the motor is running to push food out of the spout. I've taken all the food out and tried to clear any clogs but that didn't fix it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We just got a new mattress and it has a warranty that's voided if it gets stained or shredded. What's a good way to teach rear end in a top hat that the new bed is not a scratching post?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Len posted:

We just got a new mattress and it has a warranty that's voided if it gets stained or shredded. What's a good way to teach rear end in a top hat that the new bed is not a scratching post?

Double-sided tape on the bedposts, and plenty of catnip-baited scratching posts to use instead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just get a mattress protector cover.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Synthbuttrange posted:

just get a mattress protector cover.

It's got a waterproof one. Im not home to see how sturdy it feels but the fiancee says not very

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Loki looking particularly handsome today.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Len posted:

It's got a waterproof one. Im not home to see how sturdy it feels but the fiancee says not very

Is there anything that is ok to scratch in that room? We keep one scratch post in each room so there's something they are allowed to scratch and we don't really have any problem with them wrecking our stuff. If your cat has something you can redirect scratching to, it might be more effective than just deterring alone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Huntersoninski posted:

Is there anything that is ok to scratch in that room? We keep one scratch post in each room so there's something they are allowed to scratch and we don't really have any problem with them wrecking our stuff. If your cat has something you can redirect scratching to, it might be more effective than just deterring alone.

We're rearranging to put his cat tree in the bedroom he doesn't mind scratching at it. Plus he does enjoy swatting at your head when you walk past.

We trimmed his nails last night for the first time (we've taken him to PetSmart before) and he was wary but he got treats for each claw we did and there wasn't any blood so I think we made some progress.

Tonight we're going to try and get claw covers on him.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Friends cat "Boss"

Boss is a good kitty but he keeps demanding that I bring him Han Solo and the wookie.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So i've been thinking about getting my cats some new toys.
They love the following toys.

And of course chasing a laser pen.

The food ones are still good. These never fail to entertain them

The got tired of these

Any great cat toys out there. That you all recommend?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The springs also come in a large/wide size, and my cat thinks they are diff from the thinner type.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Sefal posted:

1. buy drinking straw
2. put knot in straw
3. throw where cat can see

Curly ribbon also very good IF they are not the type of cat who wants to eat ribbon but just chew it a little.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sefal posted:

Empty box(es). Leave one open, tape others up and cut various holes in them. Boxes are cheap (or free) and when they've been destroyed you just get new ones.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

String. All other toys have been shunned. There is only string. PLAY STRING. DRAG THE loving STRING.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What don't you want them to play with? Because it's that. That is the best toy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've said it before but my cats go apeshit for colorful pipe cleaners twisted up into different shapes. My younger cat carries one around the house with him most of the time :3:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Strings it is. No matter what. they will always chase it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

owls or something posted:

String. All other toys have been shunned. There is only string. PLAY STRING. DRAG THE loving STRING.

Have you tried investing in a red dot?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to be moving next week, and it's my cat's very first move. What are some things I can do to help him adjust/stay as chill as possible for the upheaval of his basically whole tiny life? Especially since for at least the first hour or two he's going to need to stay in his carrier/a bathroom?

cat tax:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

He's probably going to want to stay in a nice small enclosed space at first anyway! I'd give him a lot of stuff that smells like you and him to hang out with but otherwise just let him adjust at his own pace. The new place will presumably still be full of stuff which smells correct for his home so that should help.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah, just stick him in a single room at first with his litter box and some baskets or what have you, then let him explore once he settles in.

The way we did it when we moved was my SO left first with the cats when the movers arrived to pick up the boxes and furniture and then stayed with them in the new place in a separate room while everything was unloaded. We then let them explore one more room each day. At first they were super scared and hid out in the starter room but after a couple hours they explored around.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Infinitum posted:

Have you tried investing in a red dot?

My cat refuses to chase a laser pointer for more than a couple seconds. She sees the dot and goes straight for it, but once I move it she just kinda stares at it from a distance and refuses to do anything but half-heartedly swat at it if I bring it close to her again. I've tried waiting her out but she just loses all interest after the initial spotting. :argh: She loving loves string though. Of course that love extends to actively trying to eat it if I leave her alone with it for even a nano second, and I've had a few scares where I've realized she'd managed to eat some string while my back was turned and I had to watch her like a hawk for the rest of the day for signs of intestinal blockage.

Cats are lucky they're cute because they're a pain in the rear end.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I feel pretty drat spoiled for having a cat who is actually NOT a pain in the rear end. She never gets into trouble, doesn't knock stuff over, doesn't ruin furniture, always uses her litter box (except the two times she had a bladder infection and that was more than understandable). She doesn't seem to get hairballs (I do brush her regularly) and only very rarely vomits on the floor - and I generally feel sympathetic rather than annoyed... Hmm, I suppose the degree to which she is food-motivated can be annoying at times. One can't eat a bag of chips or a bowl of cereal or something without Jackie avidly observing each and ever bite! That's actually kind of annoying, I admit.

The only annoying thing Jackie does is demand attention of me at times when I am unable to always give it, which generally makes ME feel like a bad owner because she doesn't do it all the time. There are moments when I am writing, or preoccupied or have a guest over, and she will simply INSIST on sitting in my lap or placing herself between me and said guest while purring loudly and refusing to budge. This is more endearingly adorable than annoying, though.. I'm just trying to think of annoying traits Jackie has and other than being too cute/affectionate at times when I'm in a bad mood, I can't think of any. She's on the heavy side, but that's hardly "annoying",

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Got our cats spayed today and boy are they loopy and hilarious. One keeps trying to lick the cut so having to watch them closely.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Haha yeah drugged up cats are hilarious. I'm always shocked how fast they bounce back from spaying.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I got that flower drinking fountain that was mentioned earlier in the thread and to my amazement both cats just love it - I was sure that at least one of them would hate it (or like my previous housemates cat be flat out terrified by it)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

dissss posted:

I got that flower drinking fountain that was mentioned earlier in the thread and to my amazement both cats just love it - I was sure that at least one of them would hate it (or like my previous housemates cat be flat out terrified by it)

Luckyyyyy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FelicityGS posted:

The bubble can act as a magnifying glass and trap heat under direct sun, but has a better view. The mesh breathes better but the view is less good. So it kind of depends how long they'll be in it and what it's for.

At least for my cat (not a bengal but loves outside trips), I put him in a shoulder strap soft carrier and put his harness on him. He sticks his head out, but he stays inside and the harness makes sure he can't go far. Like so:

If he can't stick his head out to see, he screams nonstop which is super embarrassing on public transit. I tried the backpack and even then he hated actually riding in it no matter how chill he was at home. :(

Oh poo poo, a mesh shoulder strap pack is a good idea for a kitty. That plus a harness means Jet could go trekking any day :woop:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Speaking of harnesses, do y'all have any suggestions on how to get a cat to warm up to one? Sweetheart always acts like she wants to go outside, but any of the methods that would be safe for her to do so (either the girlfriend or I carrying her, wearing a harness, getting in a pet stroller) she basically has no interest in (to the point of attacking rather than let us put a harness on).

We've tried leaving the harness around and just as another thing for her to sniff at and get curious about, and we always try to reinforce "harness = outside time", but it never goes well.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Water fountains.....

This was a few months ago. They now drink from it daily

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Speaking of harnesses, do y'all have any suggestions on how to get a cat to warm up to one? Sweetheart always acts like she wants to go outside, but any of the methods that would be safe for her to do so (either the girlfriend or I carrying her, wearing a harness, getting in a pet stroller) she basically has no interest in (to the point of attacking rather than let us put a harness on).

We've tried leaving the harness around and just as another thing for her to sniff at and get curious about, and we always try to reinforce "harness = outside time", but it never goes well.

I want to try and do this as well and plan on trying to do something similar to this plan:

https://www.whyanimalsdothething.com/harness-train-your-cat/

Some vet lady following this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhB72g8K2Aw

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Question regarding cat waking up and wanting fed RIGHT NOW

Had my cat for a little over a month now. Things going pretty good. An issue is the early morning hours. Both GF and I work irregular schedules so unforunately the morning feeding can be anywhere from 630-800. Nova started to wake up around 700-730 and meow and walk all over us. Then that shifted to 630.. then 615. This morning she was up at 530 being really loud and wanting us to get up and feed her. We just ignored he as much as we could and eventually she stopped around 645 but that was a very obnoxious and loud hour and fifteen minutes. Is ignoring really the only and best option? Would prefer to have a different plan to hopefully avoid this. Live in an an apartment with paper thin walls and would rather not have a howling cat for an hour every morning at 530-630 but here we are.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

How are cats with spicy food? My cat is stealing cajun hot beef jerky from me and just gobbles it up like nothing even though it's pretty spicy stuff.

She also tried to steal a cut fresh habanero once but I stopped her and took it back before she could swallow it. She made a few sneezy noises but frantically licked clean the spot where she had tried to eat it.

CancerStick posted:

Had my cat for a little over a month now. Things going pretty good. An issue is the early morning hours. Both GF and I work irregular schedules so unforunately the morning feeding can be anywhere from 630-800. Nova started to wake up around 700-730 and meow and walk all over us. Then that shifted to 630.. then 615. This morning she was up at 530 being really loud and wanting us to get up and feed her. We just ignored he as much as we could and eventually she stopped around 645 but that was a very obnoxious and loud hour and fifteen minutes. Is ignoring really the only and best option? Would prefer to have a different plan to hopefully avoid this. Live in an an apartment with paper thin walls and would rather not have a howling cat for an hour every morning at 530-630 but here we are.

What about a bowl of dry diet cat food that she can nibble on between the regular feedings?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CancerStick posted:

Our cats learned "alarm going off => food incoming" pretty quickly after we stuck to that for a while. Now they're waiting on the bedside table until the alarm goes off, then they start booping noses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, Sweetheart cottoned on pretty quickly to the fact that she could meow pitifully all she wanted, I wasn't giving her breakfast until I used the restroom and was generally ready to start my day (aside from getting dressed/eating my own breakfast), so she's calmed down considerably in the mornings. She'll still sit in front of the bathroom door and maybe stick a paw under it because cats, though.

Unless me and the girlfriend sleep in past like 9 AM on the weekends, then she's like "MEOW? FEED ME? I HAVE NEVER BEEN FED BEFORE?!?" right outside the bedroom door. :v: