Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Having been in LARP battles I would be inclined to houserule Advantage in larger fights as being a pool that one side or the other generates, and that fighters on the winning side can grab points of Advantage from when they want to use them. It seems to me that that'd actually be a good reflection of how when you're in a battle line it's less about your own personal skill and more about which side is able to establish and maintain momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Warthur posted:

Having been in LARP battles I would be inclined to houserule Advantage in larger fights as being a pool that one side or the other generates, and that fighters on the winning side can grab points of Advantage from when they want to use them. It seems to me that that'd actually be a good reflection of how when you're in a battle line it's less about your own personal skill and more about which side is able to establish and maintain momentum.

Honestly that sounds like a better system in general than the existing one. Advantage as written has a bunch of weird consequences. Speaking from experience, take a three-way fight between the PCs, bandits, and beastmen where the PCs take the bandits by surprise. The PC Rat Catcher starts out with high advantage from a surprise attack, bashes a few bandits with Strike to Stun, building up 2 points of advantage per hit because there's two opposed tests involved. Now two rounds later he's rolling at like +60 as he enters combat with a beastman and he's almost literally untouchable unless the enemy rolls a random crit. Why did slaughtering bandits make him a god of war again?

And speaking of random crits, those happen on any successful test, whether attack or defense. You don't have to win an opposed test to pull one off, if you pass your own TN and get doubles you just critted them. That does have the fun consequence of giving a random peasant a chance to kill anything by throwing a rock or making a lucky parry with his stick. I'm making that sound worse than it is, because you can sacrifice AP on a location to soak a crit. Naturally they only mention this extremely important rule in the armor section and not the combat section.

I do like 4e's careers, though. They're a little weird in some places (a Flagellant literally cannot earn money via their job, at all, and the "people feel religiously obligated to give them food and shelter" thing is only suggested), but they're not bad overall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dachshundofdoom posted:

I do like 4e's careers, though. They're a little weird in some places (a Flagellant literally cannot earn money via their job, at all, and the "people feel religiously obligated to give them food and shelter" thing is only suggested), but they're not bad overall.

This makes perfect sense. Flagellants gave up all of their money and possessions to become crazy fanatics.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
All I'm saying is you'd think they'd at least accept donations. Go spend a week whipping yourself on the corner and get a few pennies.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dachshundofdoom posted:

All I'm saying is you'd think they'd at least accept donations. Go spend a week whipping yourself on the corner and get a few pennies.

Txt me.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Perusing my hardcopy of Wrath & Glory, and holy hell this splattery weathered page texture is way too noisy. It legitimately interferes with legibility.

I thought everyone learned this lesson around the early 2000s. The paper and binding feel pretty crappy, but I can understand wanting to cut corners on that stuff, because it saves money. The page graphics are just a bad design choice with no positive.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Perusing my hardcopy of Wrath & Glory, and holy hell this splattery weathered page texture is way too noisy. It legitimately interferes with legibility.

Imagine reading a Necromunda rulebook :smithicide:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Info on the upcoming Age of Sigmar RPG for anyone who may be interested in it.
http://cubicle7.co.uk/age-of-sigmar-cover-reveal-update/

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The Age of SIgmar setting is completely incomprehensible, I would have no idea where to even start running an RPG for it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Why did slaughtering bandits make him a god of war again?

Momentum ?

But seriously, this is the scene where the Rat Catcher goes John-Wick-with-a-sword on everybody. I firmly believe that every class in play can and should have an "I've got this" ability that can completely handle a semi-specific situation. It sounds to me like the Rat Catcher, in certain specific circumstances just murder the opposition's mooks.

Working as Intended.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Age of SIgmar setting is completely incomprehensible, I would have no idea where to even start running an RPG for it.

Clearly the place to start would be that giant worm with the city on the back of it.

No but seriously, I have no idea either. I’m super interested to read the book and see what they suggest. I’d be heavily leaning on my distant memories of running Planescape and Spelljammer if I tried to tackle running AoS.

(Subthought: AoS needs a bonkers city like Sigil (it may have one?) where Bloodbowl is played.)

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
e: there is a Sigil-equivalent but it's Archaon's pad and all the good-guy ways to it are closed so it's basically the final boss level

Mechafunkzilla posted:

it's not that different from Planescape

seeing as they will let you be a Skink priest, I wonder if they'll finally give a straight answer about Seraphon being daemons made of starlight but also still functioning exactly like the old Lizardmen.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 22, 2019

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You live on the back of a giant worm and these rear end in a top hat rats are trying to murder you. Roll initiative.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Smells of the kind of meh blandness that Wrath and Glory reeks of.

quote:

The Mortal Realms are almost endless, so packing them into a single book would be impossible. The Age of Sigmar Roleplaying Game presents an overview of each of the Mortal Realms and what life is like for the people who live there. These give players and GMs an idea of what it would be like to adventure in these lands, who they might meet, and the threats they might face. It provides a grounding for you to set your adventure in any Realm you choose.

As well as giving an overview of each of the Realms, the corebook has a chapter dedicated to the lands of the Great Parch in Aqshy, the Realm of Fire. This chapter gives an insight into the daily life of the inhabitants of Aqshy, how they survive, how they trade and who they trade with, and how they have recovered from the events of the Age of Chaos. The great cities of Aqshy are explored, as are the havens of Chaos, Death, and Destruction. This chapter presents all the information a GM will need to run a campaign in The Great Parch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's actually pretty easy to understand now. Once the second edition came the core rulebook elaborated a ton on the setting. The entry for the RPG states it's going to do the same.

We actually already have a map of the area the RPG is going to focus on from the Corebook.

The Great Parch is supposed to be roughly the size of Russia and contains the primary Hub City of the setting Hammerhal.

Here is the rest of the Realm of Fire. Which is not as detailed.

JcDent posted:

Cubicle 7 is cool, so I am willing to trust them. Even if they are a bit slow working right now.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 22, 2019

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

I think I understand it less now.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Skellybones posted:

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
nvm

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

seeing as they will let you be a Skink priest, I wonder if they'll finally give a straight answer about Seraphon being daemons made of starlight but also still functioning exactly like the old Lizardmen.

They've kinda gone back to them functioning like the old Lizardmen with spawning pools and such and the Slann just teleporting them down from their ships. They might get an updated army book before long that might shed some clarity on it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Skellybones posted:

Those are just maps. There is nothing really to understand. It's just labeling some places and showing were they are in relation. The actual lore if you read it, is not very hard to understand, about on par with 40k and Fantasy.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I'm sort of playing with an idea for a 40k RPG campaign to run on Roll20 (probably W&G although outside their fairly :effort: setting), and a theme for the tabletop forces I'm planning:

The Plot posted:

Planet with AdMech rulers who give no fucks about anything happening in the ash wastes beyond their manufactoria, GSC take hold, Ordo Xenos is all "Yo, fix ur poo poo Cogbois or we gonna go in hard" but the AdMechs are all like "Pfft" (while making that "W" gesture with their bionic hands). Ordo Xenos makes planetfall opposed by the AdMechs but they are both set-upon by MadMax Genestealer Cultist nomads and must learn to make common cause or be consumer by the terror from beyond the stars (it turns out the real Imperium was inside us all along: it was the friends we made along the way!).

It's also a metaphor for the rise of fascism in flyover country and the importance of forming Popular Fronts?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schadenboner posted:

So I'm sort of playing with an idea for a 40k RPG campaign to run on Roll20 (probably W&G although outside their fairly :effort: setting), and a theme for the tabletop forces I'm planning:

It's also a metaphor for the rise of fascism in flyover country and the importance of forming Popular Fronts?

i've been wanting to play W&G for a while, if the inquisitorial side of the conflict is open to player characters I'd be interested in playing a stormtrooper/interrogator/inquisitor/deathwatch marine, depending on the campaign level. or cogboi, i'd be pleased to play a skitarius.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Schadenboner posted:

Isn't 40K very :hmmyes: "Fascism, we need more of it."? Or is that :thejoke:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JcDent posted:

This is exactly why I am excited that Cubicle 7 is doing this and not Ulysses Spiel. Everything from Cubicle 7 that I have I have enjoyed, and I am pretty sure that a "dice pool" is a common enough mechanic that it shouldn't raise any red flags.

I will say a campaign about a Fyreslayer, a Skink Priest, and a Stormcast traveling to another dimension to overthrow and evil Chaos Lord with a massive army is way more sensible here than the same plot with a Space Marine, an Ork and a normal IG soldier.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rockopolis posted:

Isn't 40K very :hmmyes: "Fascism, we need more of it."? Or is that :thejoke:

Ehhh? :geno:

1. The Imperium (and 40k generally) is very much a scifi mulligan stew so it's literally got any governmental system the author wants to write into it?
    2. Fascism is a specific set of reactions to the interactions of mass politics with mass culture beginning in the late 1800s, predominantly in the global west so the Imperium isn't "Fascist" although it's often portrayed as authoritarian/totalitarian?
    3. Modern notions of civil rights and liberties have the advantage of existing in a world where magic isn't real and god (if he exists) is silent. But if thinking of the wrong word/seeing the wrong symbol could literally make a 20 story demon unpeel your head like a grape and step out like Athena emerging from Zeus then the poo poo the =][= pulls suddenly looks a whole lot more understandable?

People who project real-world politics onto fictional settings with fundamentally different realities are trying to justify their own priors.

E: Oh hey, I should re-read Paxton.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 22, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Yes, 40k is Fascist.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I will say a campaign about a Fyreslayer, a Skink Priest, and a Stormcast traveling to another dimension to overthrow and evil Chaos Lord with a massive army is way more sensible here than the same plot with a Space Marine, an Ork and a normal IG soldier.

It helps that dorfs, Skinks and Sigmarines are of the same faction. Would you feel the same about a Sigmarine, an Orc and a Freeguild Soldier doing the same?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:wrong:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Sounds like a good setup for a tier 3 game. Could easily have ad mech characters, throw in some of the inquisition agents roles, and even some astartes playing as Deathwatch the Xenos brought along.

Hell, you could have just about any of the human roles as part of the Xenos Inquisitor cell.

Game rules dont have a lot on GSC, so be prepared to homebrew stuff, or repurpose some of the Chaos cults.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

It helps that dorfs, Skinks and Sigmarines are of the same faction. Would you feel the same about a Sigmarine, an Orc and a Freeguild Soldier doing the same?

I would say if the orc is bribed well enough that team makes total sense.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JcDent posted:

It would not be ideal, but still way more sensible than it would be in 40k. At least with AoS the leaders of the factions were allies in some Age of the World. Space Marines have a divine mandate to purge all non-humans.

Sure, buddy. :shobon: If you are willing to believe that a game about Non Ironic Heroic Genocide Soldier has no relationship to fascism, well that is sure A Thing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Sure, buddy. :shobon: If you are willing to believe that a game about Non Ironic Heroic Genocide Soldier has no relationship to fascism, well that is sure A Thing.

Fascism is a word which has meaning and exists in our actual world. Please dream up a new word for whatever you're talking about rather than watering down a real thing with make-believe bullshit. TYVM.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Fascism is a word which has meaning and exists in our actual world. Please dream up a new word for whatever you're talking about rather than watering down a real thing with make-believe bullshit. TYVM.

Sorry if I am not comfortable hiding from the Fascism that is present in GW games. You really need to think about your life.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Guys if you didn't know fantasy media exists in isolation from the real world.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Imperium is fascist. There is no questioning it, but it is portrayed as being utterly awful to the point of parody. You are not supposed to see it as a good thing.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Imperium is fascist. There is no questioning it, but it is portrayed as being utterly awful to the point of parody. You are not supposed to see it as a good thing.

It certainly started out that way. These days a lot of the fans and even some of the writers don't seem to always get that and you'll see some people unironically defending the Imperium. Nerds ruin satire basically.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Whelh ackshually, works of fiction are made in a cultural vacuum entirely outside of human society and satire doesn't exist, and furthermore

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Schadenboner posted:

lmao shut up you idiot

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Clanpot Shake posted:

Guys if you didn't know fantasy media exists in isolation from the real world.

Then prove it. Call Vulkan the n-word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

neaden posted:

It certainly started out that way. These days a lot of the fans and even some of the writers don't seem to always get that and you'll see some people unironically defending the Imperium. Nerds ruin satire basically.

Finally some one understands.

40K came out of the Thatcherite 80's, was heavily influenced by the early Judge Dredd (again an over the top satire that has been neutered) and was very much an over the top satire of the authoritarianism and xenophobia of the day.

Satire. Pure and simple. Space Marines were Arny and Stallone cranked up to 11, worlds were like the post industrial collapse cities like Sunderland with the glory days long past. Riots after every football game. Crumbling council estates with no way out apart from the army.