Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Feenix posted:

I know. I called and the dude was so nice. Then I went in the website and was like, oh gently caress I’m going tomorrow!!

Apparently their lease is up or can’t afford property taxes or some poo poo and will be shutting down in a year or so, which is a shame, but I plan on frequenting it until then.

yea I was gonna post about that rumor too which has been around for the last 2-3 years. ""You hear hardwicks is shutting down?! No way!! gently caress seattle now" etc

lol even when you google it

Hardware Sales in Bellingham is another good old fashioned store if you're into that sort of thing. Closed on sundays though which has hosed me over before, wtf!?

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Feenix posted:

Seattle-area Wood-nerds. Anyone ever heard of Hardwick’s near University Village on Roosevelt?

In my hunt to find nice pull handles I came across them. (Going in tomorrow) but it looks like a rad as gently caress hardware store, like old school style hardware store.

Oh god how have you never been? Give yourself a couple of hours. The place is overwhelming as hell, but so drat cool.

I haven’t been yet, but it sounds like Martin True Value in Everett is pretty good too. Plus they stock some hardwood as well.

Not that I want more competition this weekend, but the SCC Wood Technology Center is hosting a tool swap Saturday morning from 8-1. I missed the one last year, but am hoping to snag some good deals on hand tools this year.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

JEEVES420 posted:

they can all be used for something :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS0zFjUgXOI

I like this guy. He's funny in a dad-joke kinda way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So I finally finished this piece. It needs door pulls but waiting until we move some other furniture around to decide if we want them to all have matching pulls or not.

This was my 1st time using power tools on a piece of hardwood. First time making breadboard ends and first time starting with completely rough cut lumber. As I don't have a jointer I managed to flatten the pieces with my ancient jointer hand plane and then trim an edge with my tablesaw and a jig. Also 1st time working with maple or with cherry.

It serves its purpose, but I definitely would change some design elements on it. The doors are too tall and obscure the edging and curves along the bottom when viewed from above. In my mind I was thinking about looking at it at eye level, not down on the floor. Lesson learned. Also the big front door panels are totally monolithic and sterile. Now I know why the plain white panels on my bathroom cabinets still have some moulding and trim built into them.

I'm excited to do more with this maple though. I have a big stack of it and it's just got great figure.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Nice work for a first time using rough lumber. If the doors were inset instead of overlay they wouldn't obscure the bottom stretcher, something to think about for next time.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

yea I was gonna post about that rumor too which has been around for the last 2-3 years. ""You hear hardwicks is shutting down?! No way!! gently caress seattle now" etc

lol even when you google it

Hardware Sales in Bellingham is another good old fashioned store if you're into that sort of thing. Closed on sundays though which has hosed me over before, wtf!?

Hardwick's promises to shut down every time the city does something like setting a minimum wage that barely pays a workers rent. I drop in there every so often since I live close by. They have some cool tools for sale.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hardwick’s was fun. I heard the guy answer at least 2 phone calls that ended with “yes, we should be here at least another year...”. I chuckled.

Anyhoo. I got my antique brass finish handles. They look dope!

I was careful in screwing the matching brass finish screws and all is good but one of them I kinda “tore” at the flat head a bit leaving a bit of a sharpness. Any way to buff that down without super scratching the screw head look?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Regarding small bits of scrap wood, here's some ideas.
  • Use bits of scrap whenever you need to test stain or finish. It's best if you can find a piece that is the same wood you just built your thing with that you're gonna test for, of course, but like if you mostly work with three or four wood species, you can just grab a scrap of the relevant species.
  • make shims. Small and medium shims in a ton of sizes are often useful, both in your projects and just generally around the house.
  • Make toy blocks for an infant. Just grab all your chunks that are too large to present a choking hazard, sand all the rough edges smooth, and finish in a hard nontoxic finish. Parents pay real money for store-bought wood blocks and they're one of the best possible toys for small children.
  • If there is an adolescent or teen in your life, invite them into your shop and make some small projects. Whirligigs and wind toys, bird houses, pinewood derby cars, there's a bunch of options for hard and soft wood, and it's great for a kid to know they can just go to town on stuff you were going to throw out anyway. Hell some kids just need to be handed some wood and some nails and a hammer, given a basic saftey lesson, and then reasonably supervised but left to their own devices.
  • turn it into shavings and then dump it on your outdoor plants as mulch. Don't use walnut for this, and also don't use scraps that have potentially toxic stuff like certain finishes, glues, etc. You can also add it to compost.
  • If nothing else works, at least put it into an appropriate recycling or wood waste stream instead of adding it to municipal garbage dumps, if at all possible. If you have a woodburning fireplace, you can use it as kindling, but that's probably already really obvious.
  • Throw out small bits of plywood if none of the above applies. You can't even really mulch it because of all the industrial glue.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 22, 2019

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

[*]If nothing else works, at least put it into an appropriate recycling or wood waste stream instead of adding it to municipal garbage dumps, if at all possible. If you have a woodburning fireplace, you can use it as kindling, but that's probably already really obvious.

Would love some suggestions for this. I throw out my bags of shavings and would love to do something else with them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ColdPie posted:

Would love some suggestions for this. I throw out my bags of shavings and would love to do something else with them.

Neutral ones you could mix in a mulch pile? Some of it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ColdPie posted:

check your municipal and curbside waste company's websites, basically. This varies enormously from one city to the next. Last time I checked, in my city I can add unpainted, untreated, nail-free natural wood pieces to my curbside pickup yard waste bin, but in many places you can't. At the dump, there's a special place I can dump construction waste, too, which is where stuff with paint or nails or any kind of plywood goes. Construction waste can be treated differently from general landfill, which is a small step up from just throwing straight in the trash.

e. I just checked and now my local company takes wood separately from other construction waste, and recycles it, although it's not clear exactly how it is recycled. This is not curbside though.

I personally just don't generate all that much wood waste, so mostly I use wood shavings to help light my charcoal when I grill, and dump the sawdust into my compost pile.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 22, 2019

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So I have a router table extension on my Lowe's Delta table saw (36-725), its just some plywood with a hole through it and my router mounted underneath. I just bought a Kreg router plate and where I'd like to mount the router there is a support bar that goes between the front and back fence rails. Would I run into any weird issues drilling some holes further down the rails and moving the bar to accommodate the new router position?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Actually finished the construction of my bench! The top isn't 100% flat, the base and top aren't 100% flush, and overall it's a big ugly beast. But I made it and it seems to have come out solid and durable. :)

Now I just need to add all the stuff that makes it useful for holding stuff. Working on a rough crochet and gotta order a pair of holdfasts.

I decided not to bolt the top to the base. This might change once I start using it and find it moves, but so far it seems snug and solid. I'm consistently surprised when I push it and it doesn't wobble. Planing stuff clamped to it has already been a massive improvement over clamping things to a board across a pair of sawhorses.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've been trying to give away my pile of scrap wood ends as firewood/kindling, but people are idiots who will just not show up at the agreed upon time to load up, so it's probably going to the dump.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Some people don’t recommend wood chips as mulch or in compost on the theory that because it takes a ton of nitrogen to break down (being all carbon) it pulls nitrogen out of your soil/compost. Other gardeners say that’s nonsense. In my experience it does seem to take much longer to break down than bark mulch, for better or worse.

The old shop was heated by a wood stove and the shop stayed muuuuuch cleaner in the winter. If you’re out in the country, having a burn pile to chunk it all in is great too.

We used to use a ton of sapele at my old job and my boss would save all the scraps to smoke stuff over- it gave things an unusual spicy taste. He said he got the idea from some BBQ place in North Carolina (back when it was full of furniture factories) that smoked everything over mahogany scraps from the local factories. Cherry and oak and pecan scraps are all worth saving for the grill too.

If you have a lathe, turning your own knobs for stuff is fun and uses up odd sized bits of wood (or Krenov would just carve little pulls by hand) and pen turners can use anything 3/4” square by a few inches long.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jean Pain did a bunch of research into composting wood chips, and would get compost with lots of nitrogen even though wood doesn't have much in it. I think it was only discovered recently that the nitrogen comes from the atmosphere. Anyway, you can definitely compost wood: https://permaculturenews.org/2011/12/15/the-jean-pain-way/

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Super Waffle posted:

So I have a router table extension on my Lowe's Delta table saw (36-725), its just some plywood with a hole through it and my router mounted underneath. I just bought a Kreg router plate and where I'd like to mount the router there is a support bar that goes between the front and back fence rails. Would I run into any weird issues drilling some holes further down the rails and moving the bar to accommodate the new router position?

Nope, the one piece Unisaw version of this fence doesn't have that bar. I bought a returned 36-725 that didn't have a throat plate or fence. Couldn't get the fence alone so I upgraded the whole arrangement to a one piece. I don't think you'll have any issues. The gauge is identical other than one-piece vs. two-piece.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

z0331 posted:

Actually finished the construction of my bench! The top isn't 100% flat, the base and top aren't 100% flush, and overall it's a big ugly beast. But I made it and it seems to have come out solid and durable. :)

Now I just need to add all the stuff that makes it useful for holding stuff. Working on a rough crochet and gotta order a pair of holdfasts.

I decided not to bolt the top to the base. This might change once I start using it and find it moves, but so far it seems snug and solid. I'm consistently surprised when I push it and it doesn't wobble. Planing stuff clamped to it has already been a massive improvement over clamping things to a board across a pair of sawhorses.

If you want a suggestion, I would skip the crochet and go straight to a leg vise. You can make a crochet work (I did for a couple years), but a vise is much easier to work with. Vise-less bench is pretty terrible for cutting tenons, trust me.

E: I may have already told you this. If so, sorry.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

z0331 posted:

ColdPie posted:

If you want a suggestion, I would skip the crochet and go straight to a leg vise. You can make a crochet work (I did for a couple years), but a vise is much easier to work with. Vise-less bench is pretty terrible for cutting tenons, trust me.

I'll echo ColdPie's suggestion. I put a vise on mine using a ~$35 screw off amazon and 3 pieces of 3/4" red oak that I laminated together.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I built that bench and put a vice on it with a $15 pipe clamp, a $3 pipe, and also 3 pieces of 3/4 oak.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nothing ultra fancy but I turned a live edge remnant (Black Cherry) into a serving/cheeseboard for my kid’s school’s fundraiser auction.

I think it came out very nice and I’m glad I went to Hardwick’s for the handles.

Wet sanded to 2000 in steps with mineral oil, then finished with butcher block paste.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 23, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
If I had some cash on me today I could have picked up some decent koa wood from a possibly shady source. Not sure how I feel about the whole thing

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

wood from a possibly shady source

:dadjoke:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

If I had some cash on me today I could have picked up some decent koa wood from a possibly shady source. Not sure how I feel about the whole thing

"Psst..."

*Looks around nervously, starts opening trench coat...*

"Let me show you some wood..."

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My dado stack arrived in the mail today

So I get the wrenches out, pop the throat plate out, give the nut on the arbor a good yank

And a mystery screw falls from my table saw to the shop floor.

Well that's disconcerting.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Sockser posted:

My dado stack arrived in the mail today

So I get the wrenches out, pop the throat plate out, give the nut on the arbor a good yank

And a mystery screw falls from my table saw to the shop floor.

Well that's disconcerting.

It could be nothing... it could be you sliced in half by a flying blade...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just chuck a handful of similar bits from your random nuts and bolts bin down there with it, then you don’t have to worry.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I finally, finally finished the dresser I've been working on. Life gets in the way of woodworking too much.

Cherry with walnut, BLO + wax. All angles are 10 degrees because apparently I like 10? Who knows.

I regret admitting this but I have gotten to the point where I prefer just using a through-domino to make my drawers. They're super simple, look more interesting than dowels or dowelled screws, and are bomb-proof. I am getting very lazy :/

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

That looks amazing. I love the look of classic half-blind dovetails, but if dominoes is what it takes to get it out of the workshop and into the house then I ain’t going to judge. Also if I had that many drawers to do I’d want to make it faster :s

Again, real nice job. I love the detailing on the drawer fronts. It’s just enough to keep it interesting without going over the top.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tim Thomas posted:

I finally, finally finished the dresser I've been working on. Life gets in the way of woodworking too much.

Cherry with walnut, BLO + wax. All angles are 10 degrees because apparently I like 10? Who knows.

I regret admitting this but I have gotten to the point where I prefer just using a through-domino to make my drawers. They're super simple, look more interesting than dowels or dowelled screws, and are bomb-proof. I am getting very lazy :/

That's so pretty. I hope to make things look this nice someday.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Speaking of Hardwick's in Seattle, I guess they put this out 30 minutes before I bought it.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

That Works posted:

I'll echo ColdPie's suggestion. I put a vise on mine using a ~$35 screw off amazon and 3 pieces of 3/4" red oak that I laminated together.

Hm I was hoping to get away without a vice at first but I guess maybe it’s worth just getting it out of the way. The leg vice is really impressive looking anyway.

In the meantime I made my first ever dovetail! Not too terrible for a first try with hand tools. Obvious gaps but it fits snug and only took a little bit of cleanup before sliding together.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Tim Thomas posted:

nice

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Had a good day in the shop today. I squared up the stock for the breadboard ends, then got the top of the tabletop most of the way ready for finishing, so I wouldn't have to try to awkwardly plane it with the cross-grain breadboard ends on. Last step will be scraping down the remaining plane tracks. Knowing I was going to have to scrape about 25 sq ft of tabletop, I bought a No 80 scraper at a tool sale a while back. Killing time waiting for the bus to go home, I sharpened it up today and tested it on some scrap. This thing is so nice compared to a regular card scraper. Some firm downward pressure and the plane tracks go away with tiny shavings. Great tool.

I'm really pleased with how the top is turning out. I've had a lot of trouble getting flat panel glueups in the past, but this has been mostly trouble-free. Next challenge will be sawing a 3.5' wide tenon without messing the whole thing up.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

So I am thinking of getting a small table top planer like Dewalt makes. https://www.dewalt.com/products/pow...s-planer/dw735x

Anyone have advice or opinions on what to get? I am going to be building a bench, and don't want to plane down 32+ boards a quarter of an inch.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DevNull posted:

So I am thinking of getting a small table top planer like Dewalt makes. https://www.dewalt.com/products/pow...s-planer/dw735x

Anyone have advice or opinions on what to get? I am going to be building a bench, and don't want to plane down 32+ boards a quarter of an inch.
The DeWalt one you linked is pretty much the best you can get unless you get a bigger stationary unit. The cheaper DeWalt one and most of the other brand lunchbox planers will do the job too-planers are really fairly simple. The 735 is the best of the nominally portable planers, but they are heavy as hell.

ColdPie posted:

Had a good day in the shop today. I squared up the stock for the breadboard ends, then got the top of the tabletop most of the way ready for finishing, so I wouldn't have to try to awkwardly plane it with the cross-grain breadboard ends on. Last step will be scraping down the remaining plane tracks. Knowing I was going to have to scrape about 25 sq ft of tabletop, I bought a No 80 scraper at a tool sale a while back. Killing time waiting for the bus to go home, I sharpened it up today and tested it on some scrap. This thing is so nice compared to a regular card scraper. Some firm downward pressure and the plane tracks go away with tiny shavings. Great tool.

I'm really pleased with how the top is turning out. I've had a lot of trouble getting flat panel glueups in the past, but this has been mostly trouble-free. Next challenge will be sawing a 3.5' wide tenon without messing the whole thing up.
That’s really looking good. No 80s are real thumbsavers. This is heresy, but if you’re lazy and hate using stripper like me, they’re great for stripping finishes off flat surfaces. Does anyone make a decent repro? They’re so dead simple you’d think there would be and old ones had gotten kind of expensive last time I looked.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DevNull posted:

Speaking of Hardwick's in Seattle, I guess they put this out 30 minutes before I bought it.

gently caress, poo poo, goddamn. I wasn’t even looking for this when I went in and STILL I feel like I got robbed.
Nice find.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Replacement workmate finally came in, SO much easier for planing being able to clamp down on the wood.

I seem to have gone about the saw thing in reverse, have a circular saw but no hand saw. What's a good recommendation for a handsaw if you could only have one? I'll be using the circular for big work, but need something for smaller cuts. Two sided Japanese saws are appealing just because it's both a rip and crosscut saw, but that's just me speculating.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bob Mundon posted:

Replacement workmate finally came in, SO much easier for planing being able to clamp down on the wood.

I seem to have gone about the saw thing in reverse, have a circular saw but no hand saw. What's a good recommendation for a handsaw if you could only have one? I'll be using the circular for big work, but need something for smaller cuts. Two sided Japanese saws are appealing just because it's both a rip and crosscut saw, but that's just me speculating.
The $20 Japanese style Irwin/Marples saws at big box stores are great. I only ever use the fine side, but they’re sharp as poo poo. Can’t resharpen them and the teeth will break, but they’re cheap enough who cares? I definitely prefer a backsaw for dovetails, but otherwise that’s the saw I reach for 90% of the time when I need a handsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The $20 Japanese style Irwin/Marples saws at big box stores are great. I only ever use the fine side, but they’re sharp as poo poo. Can’t resharpen them and the teeth will break, but they’re cheap enough who cares? I definitely prefer a backsaw for dovetails, but otherwise that’s the saw I reach for 90% of the time when I need a handsaw.

Can you link? I'm searching Home Depot with no luck, but I need a good reliable hand saw.