Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Phylodox posted:

The one time Bullock outwits someone...

I love how they've crafted his character. I 100% believe that the only reason he was able to figure out that riddle was because by pure happenstance, he got in trouble as a schoolboy and had to write a report about it. Totally believable.

Hell, I remember in the 6th grade, each kid in my class had to write a report on a European country, and we went around the room, choosing countries. We had to do a presentation and everything. To this day, I know things about Belgium that no American should know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized how much better this show is without Jeremiah.

Who was the actor that played Magpie? She looked really familiar.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember once a teacher gave a sheet with a list of instructions on it and told us to get to work. It was supposed to teach us to read everything first, because the final instruction was to disregard everything on the sheet.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

I remember once a teacher gave a sheet with a list of instructions on it and told us to get to work. It was supposed to teach us to read everything first, because the final instruction was to disregard everything on the sheet.

Those were great, because it was always "1) Read all instructions first, 2) Write your name at the top of the paper, 3) Poke four holes on the bottom of the paper with your pencil, 4) Tear off the lower left hand corner, etc." They had you doing stuff that other people could hear and that you couldn't just erase or anything. When you read the last instruction that said "Just do #1 and #2 and ignore the rest," you would hear people groan.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

tarlibone posted:

Those were great, because it was always "1) Read all instructions first, 2) Write your name at the top of the paper, 3) Poke four holes on the bottom of the paper with your pencil, 4) Tear off the lower left hand corner, etc." They had you doing stuff that other people could hear and that you couldn't just erase or anything. When you read the last instruction that said "Just do #1 and #2 and ignore the rest," you would hear people groan.

I've heard about this kind of test and it's always seemed fairly dumb to me, because it's just using people's understanding of context against them to no real purpose. In practically every other situation a set of numbered instructions is meant to be followed in order, and subverting that doesn't seem to teach any kind of useful lesson, it's just a trick.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I've heard about this kind of test and it's always seemed fairly dumb to me, because it's just using people's understanding of context against them to no real purpose. In practically every other situation a set of numbered instructions is meant to be followed in order, and subverting that doesn't seem to teach any kind of useful lesson, it's just a trick.

Right. I like tricks. I like it as a practical joke, not as a teaching aid. And the main reason I like it as a practical joke is that it usually fools so many people in the classroom that nobody feels singly targeted. Then the teacher has a good laugh, reminds us how important it is to always read all the directions, and for the rest of the semester or school year, you never once are put in a position where failing to read all the directions before beginning the task has any consequences. It's never brought up again.

I love it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

I realized how much better this show is without Jeremiah.

I thought she was Ecco for most of the episode

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Sarah Schenkkan?

Doesn't look like she's been in much.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I had one of these and knew it was one of these because my dad prepared me but the teacher hosed up the instructions so I actually did the full list and ended up failing the test because of the teacher's gently caress-up.

unfinite crisis
Sep 14, 2004

Huh... I thought I recognized Magpie's actress as well but just couldn't place her.

The thing about the 'trick' test is that it's a lesson in following directions to a T. If you failed it's because you read line one and chose to ignore it.

Unless you were in McTimmy's class I guess. :cawg:

I'm going to miss this over the top stupid show. I love when Barbara reveals the pregnancy and everyone's face screams "ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME, JIM!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

unfinite crisis posted:

The thing about the 'trick' test is that it's a lesson in following directions to a T. If you failed it's because you read line one and chose to ignore it.

Oh, no. It wasn't as if the first instruction was "Read everything first". It was just a list of tasks to complete. The last line was simply "Disregard everything above".

unfinite crisis
Sep 14, 2004

Ah! That's hosed up.

I had 2 teachers try that growing up and it was:

1.) Read all directions carefully to the end.
2.) Put your thumb up your rear end or whatever
etc...

with the last line being 'disregard all above instructions, flip your paper over, and wait for further instructions.'

What thread is this again? um...

So a friend of mine grew up in Hawaii and was in a dance class with the little girl who now plays Selina. After the first couple episodes in season 1 she asked me what I though about her and all I could think about was that line after someone calls Selina's name and she says "call me Cat!" I'm so glad the writers finally found their footing.

unfinite crisis fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 18, 2019

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Davros1 posted:

I love Nygma.

By far my favorite character the whole show, followed by a close penguin. Those actors killed it, and I hope they get more work after this.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Well, we have our answer to the swimmers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This episode is kind of weird.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

oh no he fell in the Ghostbuster slime.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like that we got to see the murder pier one last time.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Was hoping Ed would have something more clever than "you're glowing" for deducing Bab's pregnancy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I'm gonna miss this crazy rear end show.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Poor Jeremiah. What a horrible way to go-go.

(I'm supremely proud of that.)

Anyway... who knew that the Joker built the Batcave?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

No, the cave was there before.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Is it the same one?

Not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bruce, Alfred, and Lucius discovered a secret cave underneath the manor. I think Jeremiah dug a separate tunnel into the manor.

Then again, I can't remember now if Alfred had the cave filled in or not because Bruce was spending too much time down there.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Chuds McGreedy posted:

By far my favorite character the whole show, followed by a close penguin. Those actors killed it, and I hope they get more work after this.

Nygma and Penguin are by far the best. I love this show, poo poo like Tetch always makes me turn my head but goddamn do Penguin and Nygma always grab my attention. Gonna miss it a lot, it's fun and stupid. 5 seasons is a good run though.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 22, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Bruce, Alfred, and Lucius discovered a secret cave underneath the manor. I think Jeremiah dug a separate tunnel into the manor.

I think Jeremiah expanded the already existing secret room under the manor to the point where it could become a Batcave, rather than a Batbasement.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jeremiah takes a bath in what is presumed to be deadly acid, just goes into a coma with some facial scars.

Ok then.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilmiera posted:

Jeremiah takes a bath in what is presumed to be deadly acid, just goes into a coma with some facial scars.

Ok then.

Apparently you did some bad presuming

This has been Joker Origin Story 101 since forever, and they were making some kind of poison to be distributed by fireworks, not acid

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

evilmiera posted:

Ok then.

...seriously?

Are you new to Batman?

Are you new to comics?

Is this :thejoke:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I just want to know how the gently caress Bruce got him out of the chemical pool?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

I just want to know how the gently caress Bruce got him out of the chemical pool?

He has a grappling hook!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Phylodox posted:

...seriously?

Are you new to Batman?

Are you new to comics?

It's more like Gotham takes it to a whole new level. Also he already had the origin of being poisoned once already.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

...seriously?

Are you new to Batman?

Are you new to comics?

I don't know how fair this is to point out, really. I mean Jerome was also The Joker and he was unable to survive falling like 8 stories whereas comic Joker can fall off a cliff into a woodchipper and be fine a few panels later.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

evilmiera posted:

It's more like Gotham takes it to a whole new level. Also he already had the origin of being poisoned once already.

This isn’t only tame for Batman, it’s tame for Gotham, a show where people regularly shrug off being violently, graphically dismembered. Reminder that the previous Joker had his face punched off with little to no lasting repercussions.

Balthesar posted:

I don't know how fair this is to point out, really. I mean Jerome was also The Joker and he was unable to survive falling like 8 stories whereas comic Joker can fall off a cliff into a woodchipper and be fine a few panels later.

All this means is that everyone on Gotham is indestructible until they aren’t.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phylodox posted:

All this means is that everyone on Gotham is indestructible until they aren’t.
me too

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Eduardo got a piece of rebar through his drat heart and he's gonna be walking around just fine. A chemical bath is far from the worst anyone's come back from.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

McTimmy posted:

Eduardo got a piece of rebar through his drat heart and he's gonna be walking around just fine. A chemical bath is far from the worst anyone's come back from.

Banquet Bane is going to be a laugh riot with that TV dinner strapped to his chest.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Remember when Ed was frozen in a solid block of ice for a week and then just *thawed* out.

What I'm saying is... this is the best show on television!

The Bloop posted:

He has a grappling hook!

I accept this ludicrous premise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They never ended up doing anything with it but they also had Sophia Falcone somehow survive being shot in the forehead.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Ra’s Al Ghul came back after being mummified.

I wouldn’t be surprised if his followers bring him back from his scattered corpse dust for the series finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Christmas posted:

Ra’s Al Ghul came back after being mummified.

I wouldn’t be surprised if his followers bring him back from his scattered corpse dust for the series finale.

That would actually be badass and more Alexander Siddig is always accepted