Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BigDave posted:

Chinese Communist Party is conducting DNA surveillance using American technology and researchers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/business/china-xinjiang-uighur-dna-thermo-fisher.html

"On Wednesday, Thermo Fisher said it would no longer sell its equipment in Xinjiang, the part of China where the campaign to track Uighurs is mostly taking place. The company said separately in an earlier statement to The New York Times that it was working with American officials to figure out how its technology was being used."

multinationals are scum lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Iron Rose posted:

"On Wednesday, Thermo Fisher said it would no longer sell its equipment in Xinjiang, the part of China where the campaign to track Uighurs is mostly taking place. The company said separately in an earlier statement to The New York Times that it was working with American officials to figure out how its technology was being used."

to be fair thermo fisher makes/distributes shitloads of lab stuff.

When Dr. FAUXTON and I moved, most of our boxes were thermo fisher boxes. She's a neuroscientist and got her doctorate with a lot of virology/pharmacology work, she calls thermofisher the Walmart of lab supplies. It would be no surprise at all to find out The Party had basically raided a bunch of universities in the region.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I also wouldn’t be surprised to find out that over half of thermofisher’s supply chain is chinese based

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

M_Gargantua posted:

I also wouldn’t be surprised to find out that over half of thermofisher’s supply chain is chinese based

I'd be surprised if it was below 75%.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

I thought you were all about being a corporate dicksuck tho? This change of heart is interesting to see. Good on you lmao.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Iron Rose posted:

That’s a great approach, because if there’s one thing China hasn’t figured out it’s how to cheaply move something from one place to another :wtc:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Is the navy playing with their new toys again off of NC? There’s been a bunch of whale strandings so far this year :(

https://outerbanksvoice.com/2019/02/18/another-dead-humpback-whale-washes-onto-beach/

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article226423755.html

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article223925105.html

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article224075540.html

I was a student for Dr Pabst and friends with some of the marine biology grad students via class crossover and being a divemaster at the closest shop to campus, and don’t remember there being this many this soon in the last few years :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Venezuelan Army shot up a bunch of civilians at the border who were trying to allow humanitarian aid through.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.a0133ad003e8

Better start practicing that Spanish if you're still in.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

psydude posted:

The Venezuelan Army shot up a bunch of civilians at the border who were trying to allow humanitarian aid through.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...m=.a0133ad003e8

Better start practicing that Spanish if you're still in.

Lol "first fatality" like the loving "opposition" hasn't been burning people alive in the streets for daring to support Maduro rather than support the loving coup

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

Lol "first fatality" like the loving "opposition" hasn't been burning people alive in the streets for daring to support Maduro rather than support the loving coup

quote:

... leading to multiple injuries and the first fatality of a massive opposition operation meant to deliver international relief ...

I suspect the phrasing is technically correct.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Both sides of Venezuela are hosed and I can't tell who is lying

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also this is specifically the "aid" being sent by countries supporting the coup that Venezuela is blocking; they aren't blocking all aid

Like, it's totally understandable that the Venezuelan gov't doesn't want a State Dept. front "giving aid" to and for the fuckin' coup forces

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

Also this is specifically the "aid" being sent by countries supporting the coup that Venezuela is blocking; they aren't blocking all aid

Like, it's totally understandable that the Venezuelan gov't doesn't want a State Dept. front "giving aid" to and for the fuckin' coup forces

Are you really white-knighting the Maduro government?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

Are you really white-knighting the Maduro government?

I think he's more anti USA loving with south america more. It's unbelievable the amount of poo poo america has hosed up down there and the US should gently caress off

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I think he's more anti USA loving with south america more. It's unbelievable the amount of poo poo america has hosed up down there and the US should gently caress off

Sure. But none of that somehow excuses the Maduro government for shooting starving indigenous people for trying to receive that aid, especially when his own policies and mismanagement precipitated the conditions that led to widespread famine in his own country and a massive refugee crisis in the surrounding region.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Ding ding ding ding ding

Seeing as we've literally appointed a war criminal that was involved in funding and covering up South American genocide to a post overseeing this poo poo and that the "opposition" is very closely tied to US corporate interests I'm gonna go ahead and say that supporting the "opposition" is gonna lead to more genocides

Seeing as the "opposition" is burning people alive in the streets

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hungry people gotta eat.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Professor Bling posted:

Seeing as the "opposition" is burning people alive in the streets

As far as US sponsored war crimes in central/south america goes this is actually pretty tame.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

As far as US sponsored war crimes in central/south america goes this is actually pretty tame.

Yeah but the point is Marduo, evil poo poo as he is, is just about the same as the opposition, who are just another Right Wing death squad group waiting to happen.

There's no good side here.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think the end game involves Maduro doing something stupid like invading Colombia and provoking a regional war, more than I think it involves the opposition unseating him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chavez and Maduro was/are scum. That said there's a precedent of the US loving with South America having grave consequences. Donnie is also the last person to lead us through this or any other crisis.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
However bad it is, we've shown time after time that we make it worse.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This YouTube underground pedophile network is blowing the gently caress up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

So just like with reddit the only way to get them to even consider moderating their loving platform was for a lot of children to be hurt and exploited first

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Lol if you think Chavez didn't burn people alive. In 2016 there were reports of government supporters stringing up razor wire in the streets to decapitate opposition motorists. Torture, arrest, disappearances and murders. And oodles of assassinations too!

Everyone in Venezuela is poo poo. The opposition as of last year was more concerned with getting Leopoldo Lopez out of prison than they were doing anything else and are utterly fractured between colossal tensions internally between the center left and the far right. It's why you some 40-50% of voters saying "ni-ni" - because they have no hope in anyone. There's violence on all sides - though the government, as usual, is better at using it.

The most you can say about any of it is that it's Chavez and Maduro's policies which have contributed to the rumination of a nation. In the response to catastrophy the government has done next to nothing other than to continue to plunder its own citizens in a desperate attempt to steal as much wealth from Venezuelans as possible and in so doing so have driven millions of their people out of the country as refugees and millions more into black markets and criminality. Almost anything in the world would be better for the public.

It's not that I think Guaido and co are any good. It's that I think that Maduro and Chavez's legacy is so bad it takes a lot more than burning people in the streets for the opposition to be worse. Still pretty loving bad though and the US sure won't make it any better.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Trump flat said in 2017, according to McCabe, that we should invade Venezuela for their oil, and the guy we're supporting is owned by US oil interests.

Yes, Maduro is horrible, but there is absolutely nothing indicating that the US government is acting in good faith.

I don't know what to do with south america. It's a hosed up situation.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I had no idea what you were talking about at first and :stare:

https://gizmodo.com/companies-halt-youtube-ads-following-reports-of-comment-1832771383

quote:

Wired was able to replicate Watson’s claims and said the videos it encountered often included little girls playing, swimming, or eating popsicles, and in some cases more graphic content. Once some of these videos are viewed, Wired said YouTube’s algorithm surfaces videos that appear to be popular with other pedophiles.

GJ, algorithm

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Slim Pickens posted:

I had no idea what you were talking about at first and :stare:

https://gizmodo.com/companies-halt-youtube-ads-following-reports-of-comment-1832771383

GJ, algorithm

Even worse are the comments where users are sharing links to more extreme content. It's been going on for a very long time on YouTube, and I find it extremely hard to believe YouTube is just now detecting this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Even worse are the comments where users are sharing links to more extreme content. It's been going on for a very long time on YouTube, and I find it extremely hard to believe YouTube is just now detecting this.

All you need to do is not have moderators and then you can claim ignorance.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm glad no one clicked my link when I posted it a couple days ago and I said don't click if you wanna keep your mental but now the pedophile story is back in the thread ahh!!

The thing that broke me was the anecdote of the girl asking one of her commentators what he meant when he said her last video made him "grow"

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Does YouTube operate out of the Holy See?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

And practically speaking, all indications are that the military is completely on the side of Maduro. Like, aside from what "should" happen, picking the side that doesn't have any support from the people with tanks seems pretty fuckin' dumb.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crakkerjakk posted:

And practically speaking, all indications are that the military is completely on the side of Maduro. Like, aside from what "should" happen, picking the side that doesn't have any support from the people with tanks seems pretty fuckin' dumb.

The military is still getting food.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I think Maduro is awful, and I hate how with Venezuela the left does a lot of "la la la I can't hear you" on the damage price controls and random expropriations did to the food supply. But the US pointing at some guy who wasn't even elected to anything and saying "he's president now" is just mask-off coup attempting, esp with admin goons on television talking about taking the oil. I feel like the biggest change to the war-wing of the right between W and Trump is now they don't even pretend to care about human rights and democracy.

Which all leaves me certain that as bad as Maduro is, whatever the state department and CIA want there is worse. Right now under the "tyranny" of Maduro, Guaido is a free man. Does anyone even pretend the reverse would be true? For all the incompetence and corruption of the Venezuelan current government, they're not throwing people out of helicopters, and that just happens to be the exact thing that happens when the US deposes governments in South America and installs "market friendly reformers"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't know what to do with south america. It's a hosed up situation.

I think we should just keep the gently caress out of it and let them sort themselves out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

The military is still getting food.
And was purged of anyone who wasn't a fanatic long ago.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

There's stuff saying opposition are hiding food to make it seem like the government is hiding and then the opposition is saying the government is and who the gently caress do you believe cause everyone is loving lying

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

There's stuff saying opposition are hiding food to make it seem like the government is hiding and then the opposition is saying the government is and who the gently caress do you believe cause everyone is loving lying

I'm very skeptical of all the "food is being hoarded" stuff because

1) those are the kind of rumors that fly around during hungers
2) during a hunger, selling food is one of the most profitable things you can possibly do

The ruling party implemented a bunch of laws that made it effectively impossible to sell a bunch of staples at a profit, and supply suddenly fell in response. I think the rumors were part hope that there's still food out there that isn't just going to the black market, and part rear end-covering for the outcome of their policy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fallom posted:

So just like with reddit the only way to get them to even consider moderating their loving platform was for a lot of children to be hurt and exploited first

What? No. They had to lose advertisers. "Children harmed" is not one of their KPIs.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Does YouTube operate out of the Holy See?

I don't think it's like Twitter and nazis: YouTube isn't pedophile-friendly because its executives are sympathetic to pedophiles. It's just because moderation is a cost center, kicking people off reduces ad impressions, and the law in the US does not oblige them to do anything beyond taking down criminal material that's reported to them, and giving user information in response to subpoena or warrant.

Now that this is making news, they'll ride the cycle to announce a few initiatives to make the story be about how advanced the technology is that lets them take down the channel for MermaidsUK because it encourages genital mutilation or w/e. Nothing substantive will change, except in countries that write new laws, in which case google will assign a team to figure out the cheapest way to probably not run afoul of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm a Pats fan and I loving :lol: at this

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1098987556551553024

Some guy on reddit posted:

So now Kraft gets to add prostitution ring to his collection of rings

:perfect:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 22, 2019