Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

After KOTOR and now 7th Stand User I'm not sure "watch Woolie take forever to make progress in a video game" is the pitch you wanna go with here

Honestly some people love that poo poo, and it's better you know going in that's what you're gonna get. I don't, I dropped KOTOR when there was an entire episode of Woolie reading every single force power and Pat explaining them. But I get why people would like that. Hell, I love the Naruto Broken Bond LP, and that was so boring it gave Pat a hysterical breakdown mid-recording, so I'm not one to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Yeah, I guess I just miss them playing bad games and riffing on it when dumb poo poo happens rather than Pat trying to guide Woolie through another game. My favorite poo poo on the old channel was always stuff like Ride to Hell or Saturday Morning Scrublords.

Tried going back to watch the Dark Souls 2 LP last year and have no idea how Woolie didn't just hammer Pat right in the face halfway through. Dude's got the patience of a saint.

edit: I'll still try out the RE2 stream though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
that bit during one of the Dark Souls 2 DLCs where Woolie and Pat get legit angry at each other is probably one of the more uncomfortable moments on the channel

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

that bit during one of the Dark Souls 2 DLCs where Woolie and Pat get legit angry at each other is probably one of the more uncomfortable moments on the channel

Yeah, at least the Omikron explosions were funny because the game was bad.

(insert DS2 joke here)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

HoboTech posted:

This past week I realized I haven't actually watched content from any of them since the split. Never cared much for Liam, Matt is fine but I agree that he needs someone else there, Pat's streams just make me want to fall asleep (and I'm not watching his stuff with Paige), and while Woolie's channel is the stuff I'll eventually catch up on I still don't have a huge urge to go watch it right away. I just can't get excited over top 10 lists or solo streams.

I will definitely stick with WWFIO and CSB, though. WWFIO is great inspiration to work on personal projects, and CSB occasionally gives glimpses of what it could be (once was?).

I don't know, it's kind of a bummer.

I'm in the same boat. WWFIO and CSB are great, but I'm not big on streams and the stuff on their Youtube channels just hasn't pulled me in.

I like all of the Best Friends, but I guess I'm just more of a fan of the Best Friends and not of them solo (with a couple exceptions here and there).

(Woolie should totally do more Tablelords stuff at some point.)

Blockhouse posted:

Do you remember what DLC/video this was?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vandar posted:

Not the specific video but I think it was during Old Iron King? The DS2 DLCs blend together in my head real bad.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, im mostly sticking to the podcasts, Woolie videos every now and then, and Pat streams as background noise. Liam streams of conferences i wanna see reactions to.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 21, 2019

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Vandar posted:

I'm in the same boat. WWFIO and CSB are great, but I'm not big on streams and the stuff on their Youtube channels just hasn't pulled me in.

I like all of the Best Friends, but I guess I'm just more of a fan of the Best Friends and not of them solo (with a couple exceptions here and there).

(Woolie should totally do more Tablelords stuff at some point.)

Agreed, it's definitely a "sum of the parts is greater than the whole" thing. The biggest issue is that to my surprise, there's not a lot of other content out there like what they provided. There are other game groups, sure, but they all feel either way less genuine or aimed at a different audience altogether. Closest I could find was SA's own Men Drinkin' Coffee, but apparently now they've stopped making videos as well!

Maybe this whole 'internet' thing is already passe.

edit to add: totally agree on Table Lords. I would fight several small dogs to get a D&D podcast featuring Woolie

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Hate to add to the bummer..... but the other day I watched some compilations of old Best Friends stuff and it almost made me regret watching any of the solo stuff now. Nothing seems as good. Pat's streams can be background noise but I won't pay much attention. Matt's stuff I've fallen off of 3 or 4 times. I never followed Liam much but I like seeing his stuff people promote randomly at times. And I will like some of Woolie's stuff ok... but then I see the old videos and it kind of makes me enjoy the current stuff way way less.

I love ZOE 2, but I really can't stand Minh much in it. And Woolie (where I am now at least...) seems content finishing the game in VR mode which sucks to watch. JoJo is ok and I like Volta alright... but it's hard to care much when it's just a sort of Gameboy Pokemon game. Some funny stuff with Volta mispeaking comes up now and then (like his hatred of old people) but they still don't have the same fun interactions.

Though the RE2 stream was pretty great, and the podcast in general is still good.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is there anyone here that thinks that Matt is in any way decent post-breakup?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

After KOTOR and now 7th Stand User I'm not sure "watch Woolie take forever to make progress in a video game" is the pitch you wanna go with here

KOTOR was great though

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Bork busters... bork busters never change.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DeliciousRoundTitanAllenHuhu

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Is there anyone here that thinks that Matt is in any way decent post-breakup?

I like his stuff just fine. I agree with some of the criticisms itt but I still enjoy some of his videos. People saying they hope he finds his voice are in for disappointment because the stuff he's been posting is his voice. Definitely not for everyone but I'm still gonna watch it because I enjoy it.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I have only two hopes for matt:

1) he drops the wow-guys-im-totally-excited-no-seriously-believe-me voice and
2) he learns that he doesn't need to constantly cut his videos. Every lp he's done on his personal channel is so cut up that its completely incoherent.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I'm not entirely sure what's happening, did that lady just kill her dog and it bugged out due to Bethesda Tech or what?

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I generally like Matts "Wha Huppon?" and Crymetina Crytiques is extremely my poo poo, but his other stuff tends to be very hit and miss for me depending on the game.
Pats streams are kind of unwatchable to me and not even useful as a podcast for background noise.
Best boy Woolie is the most watchable, but I don't care much about fighting games, which puts me at odds with some of his content.

Is there some context for this that I'm not getting or is it just Fallout being weird and some script bugging out?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Personally I'm loving Woolie's channel more and more and I hope he'll continue to improve it's presentation and make it grow. He recognized very quickly that he needs someone to play off instead of going alone and he's bringing the professional look with intros and titled series and whatnot very effectively. I can't wait to see what else he'll come up with. Also Castle Super Beast has been a rousing success in continuing the old goodness I think.

I like Matt's Whu Happen? videos but that's about it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also Woolie needs to bring in more guest stars again.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not entirely sure what's happening, did that lady just kill her dog and it bugged out due to Bethesda Tech or what?

Zwiebel posted:

Is there some context for this that I'm not getting or is it just Fallout being weird and some script bugging out?

The old lady looted a brain from a dog. Said dog was not dead :rip:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1098970009177649152

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/1099002135247765504

So that happened.

(also some more but yeah kinda surprised Cliffy B responded to Pat)

edit: as a reminder Cliffy B didn't pay the people in his studio after radical heights died. https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1099016185985814534

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 22, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also R Kelly got indicted. :woop:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought I saw Cliffy first try to respond with a gif, so I guess he had to pull out the "im rich" after more people dragged him.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

MagusDraco posted:

So that happened.

(also some more but yeah kinda surprised Cliffy B responded to Pat)

edit: as a reminder Cliffy B didn't pay the people in his studio after radical heights died. https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1099016185985814534

He's either not aware or purposely not acknowledging that him leaving game development second time has a different taste from the first go around.

Like nobody fabricated you being angry at Epic and calling them poachers when workers from your studio moved over there. That's something you accused them of entirely on your own.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lmao someone is trying to drag Pat in defence of Cliffy, pointing out how he's fat and bald, and Pat's response is pretty much just "that's the best you got?!" and then follows up with bringing up the giant chocolate rabbit.

Pat is a dangerous enemy. He'll sooner throw himself under the bus then be bothered by petty insults.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

you cannot dunk on a man with no self-respect, it's Pat's Ultra Instinct

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

oh no. oh noooo Cliffy how did you think this would work.

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1099027465807319042

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MagusDraco posted:

oh no. oh noooo Cliffy how did you think this would work.

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1099027465807319042

Good lord that's pathetic

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
huh pat also blocked me on twitter

so I trusting you guys to feed me tasty morsels of cliffy b getting embarrassed by a mukbang streamer

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Dias posted:

huh pat also blocked me on twitter

so I trusting you guys to feed me tasty morsels of cliffy b getting embarrassed by a mukbang streamer

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1099023339706859520

https://twitter.com/AngriestPat/status/1099030284467613696

And then cliffy b tagged ice t for some reason so Paige joined in

https://twitter.com/PeachSaliva/status/1099028811377664000

Edit 2: in short. https://twitter.com/blackbookalpha/status/1099025321116938241

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 22, 2019

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what an ego-stroking manchild. i guess with twitter ignoring anything is impossible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Imagine being so self serious that you allow the mean leprechaun man to hold power over you.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
listening to the catherine section on the podcast. pat repeating that atlus makes japanese games for japanese people and therefore it's understandable that they have super bigoted poo poo in them is an annoying trope

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

Imagine being so self serious that you allow the mean leprechaun man to hold power over you.

Imagine having no moral grounds whatsoever in an argument with Patrick "it's not littering if it's inside" Boivin because you hosed over your former employees super hard.

Imagine having less people playing your last two games than a medium-sized stream has viewers when he's replaying an old janky game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

listening to the catherine section on the podcast. pat repeating that atlus makes japanese games for japanese people and therefore it's understandable that they have super bigoted poo poo in them is an annoying trope

I got the impression he was saying that more from the perspective of "Atlus doesn't care how the west feels on this subject" (and are catering to an audience that doesn't reject this sort of trope/representation?) it's not so much understandable or excusable, it's just their culture/attitude? Like I don't think he's going to bat for them it's "Atlas don't care!"

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
yeah, i dont think hes intentionally trying to justify them, but "japanese people dont care about lgbt issues/feminism" is a harmful meme believed by 4chan anitwitter types that are going to be actually supporting atlus

e: and then the follow up discussion about the "core values" thing was hard to listen to. not one of their best

somepartsareme fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 22, 2019

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I think it's fine to say that a country's culture at large leans one way or the other on issues, especially on something like media trends. For instance, saying "America loving LOVES violence but freaks out at the hint of sexuality" is a statement I'd stand by for American media.

The guys have run into other instances of Japan's cultural opinions on LGBT issues in the Policenauts LP (I know Kojima does not represent all of Japan, but he certainly is part of the culture), and just recently they removed a bunch of gross depictions of a trans person from some Yakuza remake as well. Maybe it will change in the coming decade, because even looking at poo poo in the US from the late 90s/early 2000s was full of bad representations (I'm looking at you, Ace Ventura).

While we're at it, hey Japan, enough with the little girls. Thanks.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

somepartsareme posted:

yeah, i dont think hes intentionally trying to justify them, but "japanese people dont care about lgbt issues/feminism" is a harmful meme believed by 4chan anitwitter types that are going to be actually supporting atlus

e: and then the follow up discussion about the "core values" thing was hard to listen to. not one of their best

Yeah, and one thing the boys are missing is that art never exists in a vacuum, and not talking a stance is siding with the oppressor by default. So even if the ending is weirdly ambiguous and lets you read in whatever you want, it's still lovely and transphobic. Honestly I didn't see a single interpretation of that scene that's not hosed up, even the ones that were bending over backwards to try to sanitize it.

Their hearts are in the right place, they're just naive about this poo poo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Somehow I just think using video games and anime to condemn or criticize an entire culture is loving stupid in any circumstance, but maybe that's just me.

HoboTech posted:

While we're at it, hey Japan, enough with the little girls. Thanks.

Yeah man, Japan's got the little girl problem.

Japannnnnnnn

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 23, 2019

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

Somehow I just think using video games and anime to condemn or criticize an entire culture is really stupid in any circumstance, but maybe that's just me.

Japannnnnnnn

Yeah, using aspects of a nation's culture to discuss their culture is... uh...

Also I don't know who that is, but he isn't a piece of media made by multiple people inside of a corporation to appeal to an obviously creepy demographic, so nice point I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Baal posted:

Somehow I just think using video games and anime to condemn or criticize an entire culture is loving stupid in any circumstance, but maybe that's just me.

Japannnnnnnn

The Rurouni Kenshin dude literally got caught with CP, got fined two grand and is still publishing his manga.

I think there's a marked difference between saying "moe exists so all Japanese people are fuckin' pedos" and "Japan is still behind the USA in terms of progressive discourse and criticism". I don't think you can argue against the latter, and it DOES show in their media, like it or not, that's a fair gauge of cultural standards. It's not taboo any more - and I can relate that to recent LGBTQ representation in Brazilian media - but some stuff slides compared to their NA equivalent. You can still go around calling people "faggots" in a jokey manner, chanting it out loud in soccer stadiums and outright using variations of the word as a goddamn presidential candidate here, FFS.