Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If Batman is the protagonist then it’s ripping off that punisher zombie series more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jiro posted:

And being a giant turtle kaiju.

I'm still waiting for them to address this in some way on Supergirl.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Naomi #2: literally walk away from the first issue's cliffhanger, return just in time to ask the same question but a little differently.

Three issues to get one (tentative) answer in a series centered on a brand new character, that's some impressive Bendis-ing.

It helps that the art's so pretty.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I reckon you pretty much get the answer from her dream sequence half way through.

Space warriors crash to Earth doing battle, a couple stays behind to raise their child, the woman dies and the man gives the kid up to her adoptive parents and becomes the mechanic.
The kid learns what she can do, inherits her mother's costume as seen on later covers and joins Young Justice.
Powers may include precognition since she Googled Iron Heights before being told about it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 21, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The current developments in Justice League with Luthor and Brainiac's team-up give me echoes from the Justice League Unlimited series. It's not bad, but it's kinda amusing.

Also lmao at the 6th Dimension.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/1097539182795223041

They just announced ongoings for Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane. You probably don't do that if you're looking to cut the line in half.

quote:

Dan DiDio, publisher of DC Comics, has taken to the stump at ComicsPRO, the comics retailer advocacy group meeting being held in Charlotte, North Carolina for the next few days.

Not everyone made it in, due to cancelled flights, bad weather and the like. But they all turned out to hear what DiDio had to say.

We may get a fuller report later. But the headline is that DC Comics is cutting the number of titles they sell through the direct market of comic stores. Bleeding Cool had heard rumours, dubbed ‘The New 22’, and DiDio directly denied that number in his speech in Charlotte today.

However, he did tell retailers that DC Comics would be cutting their publishing numbers back, by a further ten to fifteen percent, as that’s what he believes the market can bear.

He also believes that Diamond Comic Distributors are distributing too many comic books to comic stores right now, diluting sales for individual issues across the board. He didn’t mention Marvel Comics, but I’m told that seemed implicit.

Again, it comes from BC, but still.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't find that all that shocking. DC doesn't launch too many ongoings compared to how many Marvel launches every month and then promptly cancels within 12 issues.

Honestly I think he has a point that constant new ongoings are really unappealing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Probably looked at the sales numbers that came out of the several titles spawning from Metal.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Xelkelvos posted:

The current developments in Justice League with Luthor and Brainiac's team-up give me echoes from the Justice League Unlimited series. It's not bad, but it's kinda amusing.

Also lmao at the 6th Dimension.

Considering he literally put together the cartoon JL team (sans Wally with Barry instead) this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Waid did Sixth Dimension in JLA years ago. It was those weird dudes who talked with cubes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone try Next Level? It's got the Omega Men artist on art.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I decided too try to catch up with Batman recently. I put the book down after the note from Selina because while I knew they'd never pull the trigger on the wedding, it still pissed me off.

Can someone help me understand exactly wtf is happening in the last 5 or so issues? It's a dream or whatever but then suddenly crossover with the Flash. I'm not getting it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The.crossover is a Heroes in Crisis tie in and isn’t really part of the larger Batman narrative. Tom King’s run is going to issue 102 instead of 100 because of this.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Right, I figured the Flash crossover didn't have anything to do with the story that was going on just in the issue before. I suppose they pick that back up on 66 and I'll get to understand maybe which parts of the story are dream and which aren't.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Also Batman is way more pissed about Dick getting shot than Dick is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

*Ric

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Also Batman is way more pissed about Dick getting shot than Dick is.

Dick getting shot is entirely something done for Batman and not for Nightwing so yeah, that tracks.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd be surprised if it was King's idea rather than Lobdell, Percy or Esquivel's (or whatever editor was setting up Esquivel's run.)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd be surprised if it was King's idea rather than Lobdell, Percy or Esquivel's (or whatever editor was setting up Esquivel's run.)

:hmmyes: all the bad ideas come back to king. I agree TFS.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thread

https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/1099354255238914049?s=19

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That's encouraging.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hic6 for those on the sidelines
Another flashback to the massacre issue.
Through Sanctuary, Wally is reliving moments from Rebirth where everyone's pumped to have him back, but he's saying to himself "sure but what's it worth without my family?" then Sanctuary's AI tells him he isn't alone.
It's revealed that Harley was only invited there for the day by Poison Ivy to try it out. She spawns Jokers to maim, but decides the place isn't for her. An alarm goes off, Ivy investigates, while Harley waits on top of a pile of Joker bodies in VR.
Wally's chasing after something in a white void (exiting the therapy simulation?) going "Wait. Slow down."
We miss the actual killing again.
Wally is cradling Roy saying "Why did it... I just didn't want to be alone."
Then Booster zaps Wally instead of what we saw before with Harley bonking him dead.

The rest of the comic was about the old Teen Titans caveman guy telling his issues to a VR woolly mammoth.

So we've deffo got an evil or misguided wish granting therapy AI instead of an actual murderous Wally.

e:
Adam Strange is suddenly in his silver age costume in Action Comics. I'll miss the JLUnited suit, but I don't hate this. If anyone should look like they just flew in from the 1960's, I suppose it should be Adam Strange.
Steve Epting is such a good grab for the series.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 27, 2019

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Real men don't get therapy. Real men bottle it all up.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Comixology are having a DC Event sale. As someone who has only ever read Batman stuff, are there any good ones I should think about picking up?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

OscarDiggs posted:

Comixology are having a DC Event sale. As someone who has only ever read Batman stuff, are there any good ones I should think about picking up?

Pick up all four volumes of 52. It's a story about DC characters where Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are largely absent, and it'll probably give you an interest in more than a few characters to check out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cassa posted:

Real men don't get therapy. Real men bottle it all up.

Dad? I didn't know you posted here! :v:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OscarDiggs posted:

Do you want to skip Batman stuff? Cause No Man's Land is good.
Metal is useful if you want to jump into the current Scott Snyder Justice League (Road to... and the main collection are the ones to pick. If you've read his Batman run, that helps.)
Cosmic Odyssey to see Hellboy's Mike Mignola draw New Gods type stuff.
Hawkworld is apparently a classic. Haven't gotten to read it yet.
I like Crisis on Infinite Earths for the ambition of telling a story with basically every hero of the time and as a springboard to learn about pre-Crisis DC.
I find Final Crisis and Multiversity (which can be seen as a sequel to FC) really neat, but they may be intimidating.
Darkseid War is the one shining moment for Geoff Johns' Justice League run. There's fun stuff like Batman inheriting Metron's powers and floating around in a chair the whole time. It would make a good follow up to COIE since the guy fighting Darkseid is the big baddie from that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 27, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Batman in Metron's chair has to be a response to the whole "Batman doesn't sit" thing, right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

OscarDiggs posted:

If Kingdom Come is on there definitely pick that up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Re: Detective Comics #999
Does anyone like it was all a dream endings? That just deflates the whole thing.
I still enjoyed some stuff, especially the Mister Miracle death trap escape issue, and I guess it's cool that Leslie is alive, but the drama of that being for nothing leaves a bad taste.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Roth posted:

Pick up all four volumes of 52. It's a story about DC characters where Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are largely absent, and it'll probably give you an interest in more than a few characters to check out.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do you want to skip Batman stuff? Cause No Man's Land is good.
Metal is useful if you want to jump into the current Scott Snyder Justice League (Road to... and the main collection are the ones to pick. If you've read his Batman run, that helps.)
Cosmic Odyssey to see Hellboy's Mike Mignola draw New Gods type stuff.
Hawkworld is apparently a classic. Haven't gotten to read it yet.
I like Crisis on Infinite Earths for the ambition of telling a story with basically every hero of the time and as a springboard to learn about pre-Crisis DC.
I find Final Crisis and Multiversity (which can be seen as a sequel to FC) really neat, but they may be intimidating.
Darkseid War is the one shining moment for Geoff Johns' Justice League run. There's fun stuff like Batman inheriting Metron's powers and floating around in a chair the whole time. It would make a good follow up to COIE since the guy fighting Darkseid is the big baddie from that.

Madkal posted:

If Kingdom Come is on there definitely pick that up.

Thanks all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Re: Detective Comics #999
Does anyone like it was all a dream endings? That just deflates the whole thing.
I still enjoyed some stuff, especially the Mister Miracle death trap escape issue, and I guess it's cool that Leslie is alive, but the drama of that being for nothing leaves a bad taste.

I feel like it was meant to exist to spin the comic's wheels for some unspecified number of issues until #1000.

Meanwhile, Shazam! is still pretty good. A little predictable, but the worldbuilding is nice which I guess is what Johns excels in.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah, Shazam is turning out to be a really great read. The whole powers split amongst Billy's foster family thing felt a bit, like, "ehh sure? do whatever" when it first came about, but it's turning out to be a fantastic setup for this series.

Honestly though, at this point I think they should just give in and rename him Captain Thunder or whatever. Shazam is just not an easy name fit for the character, much less the group, and it's had years and years to settle in at this point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Agreed and I don't get why Johns wants to do it that way. Next to none of the characters fans want it to be that way.

radlum
May 13, 2013
HiC was so bad. I mean, it has been bad before, but this one was just filler. Most of the one-off therapy sessions of minor characters haven't been bad and if they had been released in one-shot tie-ins, they could have worked, but as part of the main event, they just feel like filler to make the whole series longer. Also, now Gerads has been dragged into this mess too, his art looks worse than in Mister Miracle.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I actually thought this was the first really good issue of HiC. No Identity Crisis-style superhero murder mystery, just superheroes in therapy. Loved the Gnarrk segments, and this is the first time Harley has seemed human rather than being a manic caricature. The page with Harley and Ivy talking as they hold hands was really good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Android Blues posted:

I actually thought this was the first really good issue of HiC. No Identity Crisis-style superhero murder mystery, just superheroes in therapy. Loved the Gnarrk segments, and this is the first time Harley has seemed human rather than being a manic caricature. The page with Harley and Ivy talking as they hold hands was really good.

Agreed, honestly. It was nice to take a break from the terrible mystery plot and drill down on the character-driven introspection bits, because frankly I think that's what King is better at; The Vision wasn't amazing because of its plot, after all.

That by no means makes HiC a good book, but viewed separately from HiC as a whole - admittedly a tall order - this was a fun little issue IMHO.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

radlum posted:

HiC was so bad. I mean, it has been bad before, but this one was just filler. Most of the one-off therapy sessions of minor characters haven't been bad and if they had been released in one-shot tie-ins, they could have worked, but as part of the main event, they just feel like filler to make the whole series longer. Also, now Gerads has been dragged into this mess too, his art looks worse than in Mister Miracle.

I was with you on this post until the bolded part. Gerard's owned on Mr. Miracle.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Am I way too late for the, "Lois Lane book in 2019 with 0 women on it, LMAO" take or nah?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hear ya, but Greg Rucka does write some pretty bangin' lady-character-fronted comics.

It would've been cool to bring back Nicola Scott with the Black Magick artstyle if it'll be a noiry investigative thing.
Quick Google searched example:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Detective Comics #999 was really a let down after the previous issues. It is something that has been brought up over and over again with the character, and even though touching final page doesn't really redeem the issue at all. How many times do we have to be told "Bruce is obsessed and will constantly push himself"? It just feels like a warm over with not much adding to the character, and the plot not really making much sense either.