Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I actually forgot the Dune tv series existed, and I watched it when it debuted.

Was it any good? The only thing I remember is the early 2000s aesthetic and some over the top sfx that looked weak at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

pentyne posted:

I actually forgot the Dune tv series existed, and I watched it when it debuted.

Was it any good? The only thing I remember is the early 2000s aesthetic and some over the top sfx that looked weak at the time

"Good" is a really relative term? They made Princess Irulan an actual character which (while I understand the desire to make her something more than the furniture she is in the first book) was sort of :wtf: in terms of narrative?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I'm unironically hyped about the movie and I'd watch anything with that cast. D-Rock sure knows how to find amazing actors.

I'm okay with Jason Momoa, he was pretty good in Frontier and my only gripe is his physique and intensity is not what I imagined about Duncan Montana.

In my head he was a calculated and calm samurai-like retainer instead of someone looks like he'd rather use the kindjal as a blunt trauma delivery tool but I trust Villy-D on that (also, some additional name draw doesn't hurt if it means bringing more younger nerds into the fold :getin:)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

"Good" is a really relative term? They made Princess Irulan an actual character which (while I understand the desire to make her something more than the furniture she is in the first book) was sort of :wtf: in terms of narrative?

She had a pretty substantial role in the books, too, if I remember. She is probably responsible for Chani's death, abandons the bene gesserit and raises Leto II and Ghanima. Also basically writes Dune.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm going to trust Denis Villeneuve.
Of his recent work, Polytechnique is the only one that I haven't seen.
Otherwise he's done Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. All of them were absolutely worth watching.

The cast so far is astounding, (although I haven't seen anything Chalamet has done).

Herbert and Anderson seem to only be producers, no writing credits, so I'm hoping they just shut up and get paid instead of having any input.

Polytechnique is only like 70 mins long but it's loving devastating. It's also another film in his oeuvre that demonstrates his empathetic response to women, which reverberates out to his more mainstream work because many of his protagonists have women with actual character and agency.

Also, Incendies might be tied for my favorite film of his. It has elements of slow burn suspense and almost greek-level tragedy that I'm sure will be employed in Dune. Another heartbreaking movie to watch though.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

spice opera or gtfo

adding this to thread bestquotes lmao

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I'm a little concerned that Roger deakins isn't the dp (they got the guy who shot Lion) but otherwise I'm supremely hyped.

Deakins is too old, too famous, and too busy to do an extended shoot like this, though I think Villanueve's sensibility will definitely retain the feel of their past work together.

Villanueve has worked with many DPs and always gotten amazing results; he's the poster child for working well with people.

- Pierre Gill (Polytechnique)
- André Turpin (three times)
- Roger Deakins (three times)
- Nicolas Bolduc (Enemy)
- Bradford Young (Arrival)

Galewolf posted:

I trust Villy-D

:hai:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

kiimo posted:

She had a pretty substantial role in the books, too, if I remember. She is probably responsible for Chani's death, abandons the bene gesserit and raises Leto II and Ghanima. Also basically writes Dune.

I meant the first book which (I thought) was all the first series covered?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Shadout in the streets, sandtrout in the sheets

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

tell me of your homeworld incel

Zartosht posted:

Sapho juice?! gently caress that poo poo!

WATER. OF. LIFE!!!

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

spice opera or gtfo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Can I get a very quick noob-friendly rundown of which dune books I should read and on what order? Is it just as simple as "read Frank's work in order of release and avoid his son"?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Can I get a very quick noob-friendly rundown of which dune books I should read and on what order? Is it just as simple as "read Frank's work in order of release and avoid his son"?

It is indeed that simple.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Yes. Stop with Frank when it stops working with you. That is all you need to know. Never touch the @duneauthor books

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Read 1 and 2 if you want the story of Paul

Read 3 and 4 if you want the story of Leto II

Read 5 and 6 if you want the story of Frank

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Galewolf posted:

I'm unironically hyped about the movie and I'd watch anything with that cast. D-Rock sure knows how to find amazing actors.

I'm okay with Jason Momoa, he was pretty good in Frontier and my only gripe is his physique and intensity is not what I imagined about Duncan Montana.

In my head he was a calculated and calm samurai-like retainer instead of someone looks like he'd rather use the kindjal as a blunt trauma delivery tool but I trust Villy-D on that (also, some additional name draw doesn't hurt if it means bringing more younger nerds into the fold :getin:)

He was pretty serene as Khal Drogo tho, until he needed to be angry. Duncan has fire in him, it is just well hidden.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Close. Read Frank's 6 in order but with the Dune Encyclopedia (the authorized companion to Frank Herbert's Dune series) at-hand after you've finished the first one. Additionally, :filez: or buy only used copies with a publication date *before* Frank's death to avoid having given money to that-which-shall-not-be-named.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOQA45HWcg4

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also God Emperor and Heretics are extremely philosophy-heavy but the action kicks way the gently caress up in Chapterhouse with some original Dune-ish action moments that rock.

mentat projection: I am moving at dangerous speed

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

definitely at least read the first three

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

definitely at least read the first three

Only read 3 if you plan to read 4. Otherwise 3 sucks.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just know that 1 is possibly the best sci fi adventure novel ever written and the other 5 are very different and still engaging and interesting but in a completely different and way more cerebral way.

edit: and the other novels around it are corpse-raping® poo poo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Read 1 and 2 if you want the story of Paul

Read 3 and 4 if you want the story of Leto II

Read 5 and 6 if you want the story of Frank
I always imagined the series of books, had they been finished, as a trilogy followed by a single book followed by a trilogy.
Each trilogy is set in its own time-period, with the single book in between giving a better link to the framing device which would be revealed in the final book that never got written.
The framing device is the somewhat subtle hints that it is the Bene Gesserit using Other Memory to look back and study Muad'Dib and his son, the God Emperor after his metamorphosis, and Siona and Duncan respectively.

kiimo posted:

edit: and the other novels around it are corpse-raping® poo poo.
There are only 6 Dune books. All others are fan-fiction.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Farrier Theaks posted:

Space ISIS led by a white savior

This wont be problematic at all

who quotes hitler

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Heretics has Teg go super saiyan and also a digression on interior design

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D. Ebdrup posted:

There are only 6 Dune books. All others are fan-fiction.

There is also a meta-canonical* Dune Encyclopedia (which is the authorized guide to Frank Herbert's Dune).

:eng101:

*: that is, it represents the known reality in the post-Scattering.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's a shame hiding everything behind secret wooden panels hasn't taken off

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

andrew smash posted:

Heretics has Teg go super saiyan and also a digression on interior design

Wait I thought Teg was Chapterhouse but I haven't read them in years. Teg is under-appreciated.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I remember digging the philosophical digressions in the last two books, it was extremely my poo poo.

And about the TV shows, they get extremely good with Children of Dune. James MacAvoy inexplicably stars in it.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Pretty sure Ian McNeice stars in it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shageletic posted:

I remember digging the philosophical digressions in the last two books, it was extremely my poo poo.

And about the TV shows, they get extremely good with Children of Dune. James MacAvoy inexplicably stars in it.

And is incredibly good.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

True (boring) story:
I recently had to move very suddenly and into a much smaller space. I had boxes and boxes of books left over from my days selling used books at a flea market, so I started dumping them all over the Little Free Libraries that dot my city. (If you're not familiar with LFL's, they're boxes in public spaces, often old coin-op newspaper boxes, where anyone can take or leave books on the honor system. Kind of a "take a penny, leave a penny" dish but for books.) One box right by my current place is where a copy of House Harkonnen ended up. I chuckled and thought of this thread when I put that one in there.

It's been a couple weeks, and I was just passing by and peeked in to see what had been taken and if there was anything I wanted. I didn't see any of my donated books, except that one. Out of the 2 dozen or so books I stuffed in there, that one still hadn't moved, lol. Thought about this thread again and started cracking up (also thought of that Simpsons bit where the guy dumps a box of nude Whoopi Goldberg pics into the bottomless pit and it comes hurling back up)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Schadenboner posted:

Additionally, :filez: or buy only used copies with a publication date *before* Frank's death to avoid having given money to that-which-shall-not-be-named.

Unfortunately I plan to (try to) do just this when Centipede Press puts their version of Dune up for preorder later this year. I am not necessarily proud of this, but it's going to be a stunning edition.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ornamented Death posted:

Unfortunately I plan to (try to) do just this when Centipede Press puts their version of Dune up for preorder later this year. I am not necessarily proud of this, but it's going to be a stunning edition.

Maybe you could find the car of that-which-shall-not-be-named and, I dunno, poo poo on his windshield?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Schadenboner posted:

Maybe you could find the car of that-which-shall-not-be-named and, I dunno, poo poo on his windshield?

An intriguing idea...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Shageletic posted:

James MacAvoy inexplicably stars in it.

meanwhile, split and glass make it clear that it's a crime he never got to play worm god leto 2

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

Close. Read Frank's 6 in order but with the Dune Encyclopedia (the authorized companion to Frank Herbert's Dune series) at-hand after you've finished the first one. Additionally, :filez: or buy only used copies with a publication date *before* Frank's death to avoid having given money to that-which-shall-not-be-named.

Wouldn’t buying any used copy mean you didn’t give money to the idiots?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

steinrokkan posted:

who quotes hitler
I don't think Paul quotes Hitler, he mentions him to Stilgar (who never heard of him) though. While bringing up how Paul's killed way more people :gritin:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Start with House Atreides to truly understand the narrative arc of CYBERTREX-9000.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Nessus posted:

I don't think Paul quotes Hitler, he mentions him to Stilgar (who never heard of him) though. While bringing up how Paul's killed way more people :gritin:

This is right. Paul is comparing himself to historical dictators.

"'...What little information we have about the old times, the pittance of data which the Butlerians left us, Korba has brought it for you. Start with the Genghis Khan.'
'Ghenghis . . . Khan? Was he of the Sardaukar, m'Lord?'
'Oh, long before that. He killed . . . perhaps four million.'
'He must've had formidable weaponry to kill that many, Sire. Lasbeams, perhaps, or . . .'
'He didn't kill them himself, Stil. He killed the way I kill, by sending out his legions. There's another emperor I want you to note in passing--a Hitler. He killed more than six million. Pretty good for those days.'
'Killed . . . by his legions?' Stilgar asked.
'Yes.'
'Not very impressive statistics, m'Lord.' "

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Thufir Hawat

Freddie Jones - Lynch

Jesus, why did I never realize how much Jeremy Clarkson looks like that now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Phanatic posted:

Jesus, why did I never realize how much Jeremy Clarkson looks like that now.

Thufir Hawat doing a hot lap in a lime green lamborghini shouting “POWAAAAAARRRR”

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

priznat posted:

Thufir Hawat doing a hot lap in a lime green lamborghini shouting “POWAAAAAARRRR”

MY EPIGLOTTIS IS FULL OF SANDTROUT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Topfir