Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

overusing metaphors sure seems like the way to trick fantasy dorks into thinking something has "good writing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

overusing metaphors sure seems like the way to trick fantasy dorks into thinking something has "good writing"

My favorite Kvothe thing: "Denna, I love you with all my heart and soul, you are my everything"

- Buys Kvothe something worth 1000 gold or whatever the gently caress

"Gee, I wonder if she likes me"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Teenagers are massive idiots though.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

Teenagers are massive idiots though.

There's massive idiots and then there's 'having long romantic evenings with her repeatedly and still constantly going "But what if she doesn't like me!? :ohdear:".

Also for someone so important to Kvothe she sure is basically not mentioned during the present-day sections outside of the storytelling bits.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
this is why it's important to write what you know. rothfuss kind of doesn't understand that part of being a charming, talented and physically attractive guy (like kvothe, allegedly) is that they usually don't have to go through multiple romantic evenings wondering if their crush is physically attracted to them. it gets settled fairly fast.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kchama posted:

Also for someone so important to Kvothe she sure is basically not mentioned during the present-day sections outside of the storytelling bits.

That's one of the mysteries that makes you want to keep reading?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

That's one of the mysteries that makes you want to keep reading?

From my experience Denna is the thing that makes a lot of people want to stop reading.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kchama posted:

From my experience Denna is the thing that makes a lot of people want to stop reading.

:same:

Adds not a thing to the story, and she behaves like some redditors /nicegirls post.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ElGroucho posted:

The first three ASOIAF novels are great

The first Kingkiller ok

They're all garbage, friend.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They're all garbage, friend.

*gasp*

probably, but I didn't hate the characters quite like I've grown to hate Our Very Special Boy

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ElGroucho posted:

*gasp*

probably, but I didn't hate the characters quite like I've grown to hate Our Very Special Boy

Oh, the "likable characters" canard

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
ASOAIF is a million times better than Rothfuss. It has like a plot and development and so forth.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

porfiria posted:

ASOAIF is a million times better than Rothfuss. It has like a plot and development and so forth.

Doubtful.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
If you don't think A Game of Thrones is a serviceable novel you're in for a bad time reading fantasy and sci-fi.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Have you read a single BravestOfTheLamps post?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't think they've read any novels either.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

As much as it's cool to hate on Grrm I think he does some pretty cool stuff. On a basic plot level he's definitely good at setting up conflicted characters and then smashing them together. But I like how he uses different approaches to fantasy as an exploration of political fiction. Ned and Sansa think the world is entirely an arthurian romance of noble knights and wise queens, and they consistently get outplayed by their enemies. But at the same time, Jaime and the Hound reject this, and frame everything in a very cynical, Abercrombie style, where everyone is petty and lecherous and violent, and this massively limits their influence on the world.

It'd be easy for Grrm to call one of these worldviews correct and the other incorrect, but I like that he acknowledges the importance of political fictions. The most successful house is Tyrell, which is able to juggle the constructed world of nobility along with the brutal savagery of feudalism. Its a much more nuanced take on power than any modern fantasy I've seen.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I have him blocked so most of what I see from him is quotes.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the guys who writes the game of thrones books is bad at writing. this shocks you!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It'd be easy for Grrm to call one of these worldviews correct and the other incorrect, but I like that he acknowledges the importance of political fictions. The most successful house is Tyrell, which is able to juggle the constructed world of nobility along with the brutal savagery of feudalism. Its a much more nuanced take on power than any modern fantasy I've seen.

How is "being all dead" the most successful in your mind?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Fun fact: I read Song of Ice and Fire because someone recommended it after I told them that I loved Bolaños's 2666

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Benson Cunningham posted:

I have him blocked

why

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

I have him blocked so most of what I see from him is quotes.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Because he's confused knowing the definitions of words like canard or zeitgeist with the ability to produce relevant literary criticism.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

They're one of those people who liked the Let's Read and now feel betrayed that I disagreed over Star Wars or some poo poo.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

How is "being all dead" the most successful in your mind?

They're alive and kicking in the books.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have a hard time believing they've diverged that much. Blowing up the holy whatever it's called does an excellent job of resolving the problems in King's Landing that Cersei faces, and it's somewhat presaged with how much Cersei loves watching the tower of the hand burn. It also reveals that a lot of the prophecies vis a vis Cersei are sort of double-bluffed, because we're meant to see the queen who supplants Cersei as Maegary when in fact it's Daenerys.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

I have a hard time believing they've diverged that much. Blowing up the holy whatever it's called does an excellent job of resolving the problems in King's Landing that Cersei faces, and it's somewhat presaged with how much Cersei loves watching the tower of the hand burn. It also reveals that a lot of the prophecies vis a vis Cersei are sort of double-bluffed, because we're meant to see the queen who supplants Cersei as Maegary when in fact it's Daenerys.

It’s not so much that they’ve diverged, it’s that the show is way past the books now because it’s been nearly 8 years since the last book, and over 13 since the last book where something actually happened, so the show outpaced it pretty quickly and is way past the events of the books already

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s not so much that they’ve diverged, it’s that the show is way past the books now because it’s been nearly 8 years since the last book, and over 13 since the last book where something actually happened, so the show outpaced it pretty quickly and is way past the events of the books already

Right, but my understanding is that GRRM had major points plotted out and the show is mostly following them, though not introducing new storylines ala the extraneous Targaryean. The whole "blow up the church" thing is such an elegant solution that it seems hard to believe it's not going to happen in the books.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Right, but my understanding is that GRRM had major points plotted out and the show is mostly following them, though not introducing new storylines ala the extraneous Targaryean. The whole "blow up the church" thing is such an elegant solution that it seems hard to believe it's not going to happen in the books.

I see, when you said “diverged” I misunderstood and thought you meant from what was already written, not from what Martin is planning. Yes, I believe he gave them the outline of where he plans to end the series at the beginning because no one is under the impression that Martin will outlive the book series.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rothfuss is the master of "say, don't show"

"But your eyes... your eyes are different, and they make me so horny!" Fela said, squirming in her seat, her pussy getting wet (because she was horny for Kvothe).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

Rothfuss is the master of "say, don't show"

"But your eyes... your eyes are different, and they make me so horny!" Fela said, squirming in her seat, her pussy getting wet (because she was horny for Kvothe).

That doesn't sound like Rothfuss at all.

"But your eyes..." she trailed off. She felt a sensation in three parts, one hot, one sticky, and one purely wet. "They're so different." She licked her lips, then slowly parted them. It was the cut-flower sound of a cock waiting to get sucked.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

pseudanonymous posted:

"But your eyes..." she trailed off. She felt a sensation in three parts, one hot, one sticky, and one purely wet. "They're so different." She licked her lips, then slowly parted them. It was the cut-flower sound of a cock waiting to get sucked.

lmao

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pseudanonymous posted:

This post absolves you of liking fantasy maps.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/834561975929753600?s=21

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Loras is dead or dying and the rest are getting ready to head to the Great Sept for Cersei's trial. If GRRM ever wrote another book they'd be killed off in it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Spoiler alert: they are all in my rear end

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Because he's confused knowing the definitions of words like canard or zeitgeist with the ability to produce relevant literary criticism.

what's relevant literary criticism?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I'm 99% sure that the outline GRRM gave to HBO is now meaningless beyond broad things like "Jon and Dany sacrifice themselves to stop the white walkers, Sansa ends up as Queen" because D&D are pulling things out of their butts and George is a self-described "free-form writer", has heavily modified the story since A Dance of Dragons and it's probably angling a Arianne/Aegon as Tudors ending or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

A human heart posted:

what's relevant literary criticism?

Have you ever done that thing where you put your hands together and make fart noises?

Basically that, but about books.