Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So the caveat to all of this is that sometimes, cats are just going to cat. If the cat wants to scream its head off at 5AM on the regular, sometimes there's just not much you can do. With that in mind, here's some common stuff the thread generally recommends:

1. Get an automatic feeder. The cat will learn pretty quickly that the feeder controls meal times, not you, and so will stop trying to wake you up for food.

2. Don't let the cat associate humans waking up with getting food immediately, or even soonish after. Get up, brush your teeth, make some coffee, etc. Go through your entire morning routine, and then just as you're about to walk out the door for work, feed the cat. This works even better if there's something you always do prior to feeding the cat, so she associates that activity with getting fed instead of you waking up. What I've done is made it so she knows she doesn't get fed until I've finished making a cup of coffee, which is about ~15-20 minutes after I've woken up. Mel will sit patiently in the corner as I fade through other morning stuff, but as soon as I've got coffee in hand and am walking back in from the kitchen she's all over me and circling her food bowl like a shark.

3. Assuming you have the time, exercise the poo poo out of your cat before you go to bed. Chase her around, make her run a lot chasing toys, etc. If you exhaust her just before bed time, and occasionally interrupt her daytime naps to play, she'll sleep through more the night and may be less hyper around dawn.

4. If all else fails, you can forego meal times entirely and just let her be a grazer, so there's never a need to beg. Be really careful with this one though, since grazing isn't particularly good for cat health in general and, if you're not careful, your cat can get overweight in a hurry if you fall in to letting them dictate the pace at which their bowl is refilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

RE: New cats. When I got Butters, Milly tried to murder her at every opportunity. They stayed separated by door the first month, and then various baby gate walls for months 2 and 3, with free roam when I was home until I was sure they would be ok. Now Milly tolerates Butters, and only gets super pissed at the outdoor cats.

They did ok kinda while supervised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm3yyBEi2b0

Raptor Fence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISa1cUWtZnI

Milly was still a dick sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHhlK2HCLvk

Now they're doing ok.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMXv7r3ByDI

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My cats have infinite energy.
So lately they will meow in front of my door (it's open) to get me to play with them. I throw toys they can chase. Use a feather for them to hunt. Play with them till they just lie down on the floor.
10 minutes later. They are at my door again. Meowing to play.

I want to train my cats to play fetch. because now I just throw the things and they chase after it, but leave it. I want them to fetch it.
I got a clicker 2 days ago. And i'm still trying to get them to associate click sound = Treat. After like 2 treats, they stop eating them.
This is looking like it's gonna be a slow process.

Thinking about donating the toys/sleeping mats the cats don't use (stuff they never got into after i bought it) to a shelter. Or is there a better alternative place to donate them?

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Sydin posted:

So the caveat to all of this is that sometimes, cats are just going to cat. If the cat wants to scream its head off at 5AM on the regular, sometimes there's just not much you can do.

I'm very lucky my cats don't meow for food. Instead, Silas meows loudly whenever he wants to play. Bring the wrong toy? That's a meowing. Wants his adopted sister to wrestle? Meowing. Adopted sister slinking away because he either won or was too rough? Meowing. Are you in a room other than the room he wants you to be in? Meowing.

Like Sydin said, cats gonna cat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sarern posted:

I'm very lucky my cats don't meow for food. Instead, Silas meows loudly whenever he wants to play. Bring the wrong toy? That's a meowing. Wants his adopted sister to wrestle? Meowing. Adopted sister slinking away because he either won or was too rough? Meowing. Are you in a room other than the room he wants you to be in? Meowing.

Like Sydin said, cats gonna cat.

Yeah, my sister just posted on facebook today that she spend two hundred bucks on a vet visit to learn that her cat is being a cat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CancerStick posted:

Question regarding cat waking up and wanting fed RIGHT NOW

Had my cat for a little over a month now. Things going pretty good. An issue is the early morning hours. Both GF and I work irregular schedules so unforunately the morning feeding can be anywhere from 630-800. Nova started to wake up around 700-730 and meow and walk all over us. Then that shifted to 630.. then 615. This morning she was up at 530 being really loud and wanting us to get up and feed her. We just ignored he as much as we could and eventually she stopped around 645 but that was a very obnoxious and loud hour and fifteen minutes. Is ignoring really the only and best option? Would prefer to have a different plan to hopefully avoid this. Live in an an apartment with paper thin walls and would rather not have a howling cat for an hour every morning at 530-630 but here we are.

I'm two years in and my older cat still does this. The recommendation is to ignore it and after a few (painful) weeks they'll stop but.. it's hard, especially when your cat likes to knock poo poo off of tables to get your attention. I usually end up waking up and ushering her outside and closing the door to the bedroom. She doesn't cry or meow when she can't get in the bedroom so that works for the most part but it doesn't stop her from waking us up every morning.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Sydin posted:

So the caveat to all of this is that sometimes, cats are just going to cat. If the cat wants to scream its head off at 5AM on the regular, sometimes there's just not much you can do. With that in mind, here's some common stuff the thread generally recommends:

Excellent effort post.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Kyrosiris posted:

Speaking of harnesses, do y'all have any suggestions on how to get a cat to warm up to one? Sweetheart always acts like she wants to go outside, but any of the methods that would be safe for her to do so (either the girlfriend or I carrying her, wearing a harness, getting in a pet stroller) she basically has no interest in (to the point of attacking rather than let us put a harness on).

We've tried leaving the harness around and just as another thing for her to sniff at and get curious about, and we always try to reinforce "harness = outside time", but it never goes well.

My cat is food motivated, so I would hold the treat by it, then make him stick his head through. When he ate, I would lay it on his back. The first week or so I would get him in it, I'd just let him wear it around. Mine is a step through, though, and a strappy buckle one seems harder from my experience--his first type was that and it was never fun to get on.

We have one of these in small, though a bigger cat would need a medium. I know that style is popular for dogs, so dont sweat the specific brand--these things cross between dogs and cats fine. I find it's more comfortable for him and easier to get on and off.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I guess I need to find treats that Sweetheart likes, though, because she is oddly not treat motivated. :v:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

It doesnt have to be treats!!! A favourite toy or scritches can also work, it all depends on what motivates your cat.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Thanks to all for the advice on the 530am cat. Appreciate it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I have a tip on enticing cats to finish their wet food when they have licked all the gravy off and eaten the top layer of the meat, while leaving 50%-75% of the wet food in the dish.

The trick is, take a few cat treats (maybe ~2-4 depending on the size and healthiness of the treat in question?) and make sure your cat sees them and hears the crinkling of the treat bag and gets exciting... Then sprinkle (or place) the treats on (or IN) the wet food, and make sure the kitty sees you doing this.

What generally happens with Jackie is it just reignites her interest in the food, and once she starts eating the food to get at the treats she realizes that she is actually still hungry (silly cat) and then finishes her wet food before it goes bad and I have to clean it up in an hour or two.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 23, 2019

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Reward a cat that isn't eating it's food with treats?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Playing with a cat and letting it catch (toy) will stimulate food desire. They got lots of nerves in them foot beans that tell their brain it's time to eat after pouncing on stuff.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Eh, we did that too, but with dry food. I'm not sure what the problem was, maybe we were trying out new food? Either way it kinda worked but we didn't want to encourage them getting used to it.

Playing with them beforehand is a good idea though, we gotta try that when they go through that phase again.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I bought my cats a scratching post yesterday and they loved it for a half hour. Then they got a hold of a straw and have been playing with it not stop for 24 hours now. Cats.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

wandler20 posted:

I bought my cats a scratching post yesterday and they loved it for a half hour. Then they got a hold of a straw and have been playing with it not stop for 24 hours now. Cats.

The story of every person that ever bought a scratching post ever since the dawn of time. Yet we keep building and buying them.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Hey guys I went to the shelter today and adopted a cat and I am setting up my house for when it comes home next week after being spayed.

Almost all the guides have said to set up a safe room for the cat so it can feel acclimated to the house before you let it run free. The only problem is my house is small so the only rooms with doors are my bedroom and the only bathroom.

The cat is one year old(according to the shelter) and there are no other pets or people in my home.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Beo posted:

Hey guys I went to the shelter today and adopted a cat and I am setting up my house for when it comes home next week after being spayed.

Almost all the guides have said to set up a safe room for the cat so it can feel acclimated to the house before you let it run free. The only problem is my house is small so the only rooms with doors are my bedroom and the only bathroom.

The cat is one year old(according to the shelter) and there are no other pets or people in my home.

Either of those will be just fine.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Beo posted:

A modestly sized cardboard box with a top and a hole cut out of the side, a towel/blanket inside, and in a corner you don't use/approach often. Best if put near-ish litter and food. So it might be your bedroom for the box/food and bathroom for litter.

And don't forget to restaple the under-lining on your box spring mattress.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Katt posted:

How are cats with spicy food? My cat is stealing cajun hot beef jerky from me and just gobbles it up like nothing even though it's pretty spicy stuff.

She also tried to steal a cut fresh habanero once but I stopped her and took it back before she could swallow it. She made a few sneezy noises but frantically licked clean the spot where she had tried to eat it.

Your cat is weird, but I've had one who really loved Frank's Red Hot. I guess just watch out for diarrhea?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We made room in the apartment to bring the cat tree back out! rear end in a top hat was devastated when we packed it up (despite not actually ever using it for anything) so I fully expect him to be all over me during assembly and then ignore it from that point forward.

Also he hasn't sharpened his claws on the new mattress or foundation yet so there's that

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Beo posted:

This was my exact situation when I adopted mine. Eventually settled on bedroom + providing a nice dark space in the form of an empty lower shelf on the TV stand for her to hide in until she was ready to venture out. Just make sure she's got a place to hide and is in close proximity to food/water/litterbox, preferably in visual range. Also don't leave the cat around unsupervised with the door to the wider house open.

e. Mel under the shelf day one, it would only be a few hours later that I'd be trying to sleep and she'd be curiously wandering around my bedroom knocking poo poo over and waking me up.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 24, 2019

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Thanks guys I had the bathroom all ready but found out no plugs work (only been here a month) hoping to have it fixed the day before I pick her up so I can use the cute flower fountain and auto feeder I bought

I am very excited and will post pics of her when I can.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

I just got my first cat yesterday too! It decided to take up shop underneath my table (it is slightly elevated). She was spayed a few days ago and she's been getting acclimated. She's only 7 pounds (1.5 years old, had a kitten already), she's eating good and drinking. I am using special,non dusty kitty liter because of her operation, how do I tell if she has gone? I dont think she has the first 24 hours shes been here.

Good news though is that she is super affectionate, doesnt care too much about any toys yet, just wants to rub her head into anyone's body part. She ventured out of and sat with me watching TV.

As I type this, just saw her use the liter box, good kitty!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
:3:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yes, I'm sure catte is good, but we need proof...

please.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

This is a Remy, she seems to realize when phones are taking pictures and immediately attacks them with head nudges.

She's not too into toys, except for the laser pointer a little. Trying to laser point the scratching post and some toys to get her to play with them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Here is a pic of my cat making herself at home.

Beo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 27, 2019

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Beo posted:

Here is a pic of my cat making herself at home.

My kitty loves her scratch lounge sooooo much :3:

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah of all the toys and things I bought her the only thing she really likes is the thing that is closest to a box.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Has anyone successfully integrated an established cat with a new rat?
I love rats to pieces but am concerned my fluffy boy is going to get hungry.

Any tips/tricks?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I wouldn't.

edit: Like even if it's in a cage I think it's a terrible idea. That rat is a toy or prey and cats love to really slowly maul prey.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 1, 2019

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Yeah, nah. I was just in talks with my mum to lend Lucy to her for a month or so (most of that time being an adjustment period) precisely because said feline would be so good at and eager to be killing rats (and mum doesn't want to use poisons or traps.)

(Which also seems to indicate that the late great Puck was on top of the rodent problem even while blind af. I love my cats.)

There's a reason those stories of cats being buddies with what would normally be their prey are so notable; they're the remarkable exception to the rule. Like plane crashes, but cuter.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If you do it, be around them all the time. But probably don't do it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'd like to get a rat/mouse/hamster one day but even though rear end in a top hat has never managed to hunt anything even a goddamn stink bug he did one crush a fish when he knocked the lid on it.

YOU loving rear end in a top hat I LIKED THAT FISH

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Better than the time a cat was caught pooping in the fishtank in the aquarium thread

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
First time poster, long time cat-haver. I don't know if this is common knowledge around here or not, but we discovered the hard and expensive way that some cats will eat nerf darts. We have a 6 year old cat who loves playing with them and has zero history of eating dumb things, so we freely left them scattered around for her to chase at night. 3 months ago we got a kitten, the kitten also loved chasing them around. She'd pick them up and carry them, but we didn't see any evidence of chewing, so we figured everything was fine.

Last Thursday night, the kitten (now about 6 months old) started vomiting nerf dart foam and even two rubber tips. She seemed fine other than that so we held off on a vet visit until the morning. Vet led to xrays, xrays led to emergency vet, and the end result was that our kitten had surgery last night to have a rubber dart tip removed from her small intestine. They were able to push it back into the stomach and remove it from there, so she'll have less potential complications with recovery, but we're devastated and feel awfully dumb and neglectful, so I wanted to try to make a small positive out of this and give a word of warning.

Needless to say, we're spending all day today finding anything small and potentially edible and putting it far, far away. We did it when we first brought her home as a baby, but got lax when she showed no signs of chewing/eating random things. The emergency vet says this happens all the time, but rarely to cats.

Now for the obligatory cat pictures!
The enemy. These are all in the garbage now.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So remember this guy, from back in November:

This is him today:

Hard to believe he very nearly died from some unknown head trauma/seizure thing. He's bigger than his 4-weeks-older cousin now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Our cats are the same way, if they find a nerf dart it's like the lottery. They haven't eaten one yet but I've pretty much had to lock the darts up.