Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am. But I fear it will be a strong indicator of when a bathroom or kitchen was renovated a few years down the road.

I like timeless or classic designs. Anyone have a good trove of pictures of tile work for timeless bathrooms and kitchens?
I love a Mid-Century Pink Bathroom, but it does mark a home as being, well, mid-century, so cooler color schemes prevail for "timeless" design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

My boyfriend and I were driving through low country SC to go to Charleston, and stopped at this old worn grey prefab building service station for gas and Cheerwine. It was the area's hangout for beer and meeting up with your low country buddies, as evidenced by the crowd there at 2pm on a Thursday. It was a little intimidating, but everyone was very polite, or just left us be.

Apparently, all the decor budget was in the bathroom, and handled by the missus of the establishment, because it was about as pinky beige and god loving country cutesy as you could cram into a service station single toilet bathroom. Quite the shocker.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

That glimpse of the hall in the mirror is so tantalizing, I really want to see the rest of this house.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

when you have enough sense not to go to homegoods and you do all your shopping at Christmas Tree Shop instead

New Englander spotted

(they just introduced Christmas Tree Shops to Florida under the name andThat! but the tags on stuff still say Christmas Tree Shops)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That glimpse of the hall in the mirror is so tantalizing, I really want to see the rest of this house.

I want to know about the room partitioner.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I don’t have a picture on me, but what’s a good way to jazz up the ~1.5 feet I have between the top of my kitchen cabinets and the ceiling? My apt was furnished pretty shoddily and the cabinets don’t have any molding on the top, they just stop. I don’t really need or want to store anything up there, so it doesn’t need to be a Strategic Kitchen Appliance Repository. Is there a name for that space that I can google for ideas?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2019/feb/22/corpses-to-cannabis-farms-strangest-rightmove-listings-properties

Trigger warning: contains purple.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is there a name for that space that I can google for ideas?

Dust and Grease Hell

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

mutata posted:

For a design trend it's at least pretty unobtrusive. It will date refurb jobs but I think it'll age well and be pretty easy to dress up.

Same. As long as it’s not one of those colored grout installations, it’s going to look fine down the road. It’s just rectangular white tile.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The hell is a Christmas Tree SHop?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

The hell is a Christmas Tree SHop?

Inexpensive but nice decor and home goods chain. Nothing to do with christmas trees other than the name (except during the appropriate season)

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

I don’t have a picture on me, but what’s a good way to jazz up the ~1.5 feet I have between the top of my kitchen cabinets and the ceiling? My apt was furnished pretty shoddily and the cabinets don’t have any molding on the top, they just stop. I don’t really need or want to store anything up there, so it doesn’t need to be a Strategic Kitchen Appliance Repository. Is there a name for that space that I can google for ideas?

RGBW LED strip lighting works well. Connect the strip lighting to a dawn/dusk outlet (like you use for Christmas lights) At night time you can get a nice glow which works as a kind of night light.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Inexpensive but nice decor and home goods chain. Nothing to do with christmas trees other than the name (except during the appropriate season)

Ohhh. I thought it was a pop up shop around Christmas.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Bloop posted:

What are you talking about? It’s a dirt cheap purveyor of dirt cheap crap that built its brand selling literally thousands of tons of lovely seasonal “handmade” decor claptrap made for fractions of a penny in china.

And resin statues.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Purple is my favorite color but goddamn.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What are you talking about? It’s a dirt cheap purveyor of dirt cheap crap that built its brand selling literally thousands of tons of lovely seasonal “handmade” decor claptrap made for fractions of a penny in china.

And resin statues.

Yes, capitalism. Cute, largely inoffensive lobster-shaped decorations for your summer BBQ and also a lot of lamps and some kitchenware.

They also sell salt water taffy

Who cares

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've just noticed that in the penultimate photo, the dining table is separated from a bedroom by curtains. Clearly it's a weirdly themed swinger venue.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Brb buying more disposable resin lobsters for this years summer bbq

now why can’t I afford nicer furniture

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

TO EACH

THEIR OWN

(mothefucker)

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Magic Hate Ball posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2835-Capital-Dr-Eugene-OR-97403/48408628_zpid/?fullpage=true Unfortunately the listing doesn't show that hallway in full, I wish there were more photos.

Found on the House Hunting blog that I've mentioned a few times ITT.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

PRADA SLUT posted:

This is some avocado toast argument

I can’t stand Christmas Tree Shop, but you need a lotta resin lobsters to equal some $6k DWR table.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2835-Capital-Dr-Eugene-OR-97403/48408628_zpid/?fullpage=true Unfortunately the listing doesn't show that hallway in full, I wish there were more photos.

Found on the House Hunting blog that I've mentioned a few times ITT.

I would buy this and live in it without changing a single darn thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's impressive and mostly looks good, but the sheer amount of glass involved is a little worrying. Also, what's up with the windows in the back of this shot?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Look at this scrub that can't even do hospital corners.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I would buy this and live in it without changing a single darn thing.
I agree and I normally dislike huge houses. Talk about timeless design.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's impressive and mostly looks good, but the sheer amount of glass involved is a little worrying. Also, what's up with the windows in the back of this shot?

Corresponds to the front of

another view

That's part of the master suite, the bed is in the loft above. Why are they accordion-folded? Because the architect wanted to show off, probably.

It's not really a large amount of glass for a MCM house, honestly. There's not the usual walls o' windows except for the sunroom.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Depending on the facing of the house, they might allow for natural light but not direct sunlight-close the shades on the two that face SE in the morning and close the two that face SW in the afternoon. They might also give privacy from the street but still let in natural light. Kind of a lot of trouble to go through if that's all they're for and they do make some awkward interior spaces, but it looks a more interesting from the exterior than just a big flat glass wall.

I loving love that black and gold lacquer Chinoiserie secretary and bamboo chair.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Yes, capitalism. Cute, largely inoffensive lobster-shaped decorations for your summer BBQ and also a lot of lamps and some kitchenware.

They also sell salt water taffy

Who cares

I too love the worst of gray market and sweatshop goods

They’re brilliant and beautiful that’s what

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Also, it's in Eugene, Oregon, which is a fairly temperate area with a good amount of rain, so lots of big windows aren't necessarily a concern if you're thinking about energy expenditure, and it's fairly secluded so unless some meth-heads stumble through the ferns it's unlikely you'd be peeped on too much.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

I have the same problem as you in my kitchen. Also, there are stairs there, so the lovely dust and grease covered cabinet tops are on display to anyone descending them.

I've only seen one way of doing this that I thought looked nice, which was adding an additional set of cabinets that go to the ceiling with glass fronts and internal LED lighting. Then it becomes display cabinets for your collection of early Americana crockery or whatever. But that's a pretty intensive renovation - custom cabinetry is $$$ - so my strategy is to just try to keep it as clean as possible. Attempting to "jazz it up" might just draw more attention to the space.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you live in a McMansion you can put fake ivy on top. Or fake grape vines and empty Brunello di Montalcino bottles and try to fool everyone into thinking you live in an exotic Tuscan villa while decanting some Barefoot Cab.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just drink it straight from the box like god intended.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Put your empty wine boxes in the space between your kitchen cabinets and the ceiling.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Definitely still do the strip lighting to give them ambience, though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

vonnegutt posted:

I have the same problem as you in my kitchen. Also, there are stairs there, so the lovely dust and grease covered cabinet tops are on display to anyone descending them.

Maybe shelf liners would help? Then instead of having to scrub up there, which has to suck, a couple times a year you just replace the shelf liners.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yup, plastic ivy and a wine rack.

Carpet? How about carpet?!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you live in a McMansion you can put fake ivy on top. Or fake grape vines and empty Brunello di Montalcino bottles and try to fool everyone into thinking you live in an exotic Tuscan villa while decanting some Barefoot Cab.

Ugh, that's so passe. Now it's all about fake ivy with with some all-white crockery and a rustic sign and/or fake chalkboard.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

Ugh, that's so passe. Now it's all about fake ivy with with some all-white crockery and a rustic sign and/or fake chalkboard.

White would really show the greasy dust though. This is like the single situation where griege would actually be a sensible choice.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

White would really show the greasy dust though. This is like the single situation where griege would actually be a sensible choice.

Insert some quip about people never actually cooking in their giant mcmansion luxury kitchens.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Do some paper mache stalagmites and stalactites and make a cool cave diorama.

Or do fake grass and flowers.

Model train scene?

Aquarium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Model train that passes through an aquatic cave populated with real fishes