Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hunters are vaguely controllable, non-infectious and since they are grown from scratch you can load them with all sorts of kill switches. if they can be made cheaply and quickly, that's not a bad product. granted, that's a pretty big if.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I get the impression the T-virus' entire development history was driven by a bunch of people sitting in a boardroom, scratching their heads, and saying, "there's got to be some way to monetize this loving thing, let's just keep pushing genes around and experimenting with new strains until we come up with something we can use" until they were killed by zombies and a mad scientist took over and became Zombie Lucifer with an army of mutant Terminators or whatever.
According to Resident Evil 0, this is basically literally just how it all went.

Except the guy became an opera leech instead of zombie Lucifer.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angry Diplomat posted:

I get the impression the T-virus' entire development history was driven by a bunch of people sitting in a boardroom, scratching their heads, and saying, "there's got to be some way to monetize this loving thing, let's just keep pushing genes around and experimenting with new strains until we come up with something we can use" until they were killed by zombies and a mad scientist took over and became Zombie Lucifer with an army of mutant Terminators or whatever.

There was a lot of scratching, yeah as I recall. He got very itchy towards the end

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

jizzy sillage posted:

Didn't they start off trying to make supersoldiers?

Like, my understanding is kind of limited and I'm reasonably certain that literally anything any of the games have said has been contradicted or retconned by later material, but depending on which game you choose to believe, the [virus/parasite/nematode/leech/parasite-crossbred-with-a-virus-as-if-that-makes-sense] was [found/engineered/popped into being fully-formed/was cultivated in some rich rear end in a top hat family] in order to [collapse world governments leaving Umbrella in control/make boatloads of money off of war profiteering/create problems only Umbrella could sell solutions to/discover immortality/do mad science for the hell of it/take revenge on the world because you're an rear end in a top hat].

Like, I kind of love how gloriously stupid RE's universe is, and not only do the games frequently contradict themselves or posit bullshit that wouldn't even make sense in a comic book, but even when the games can keep their story straight the internal forces at work are usually at odds with each other. Nearly every game or plot thread has one or multiple assholes who are working at odds with every other villain in the plot towards their own ends, whether it's some blue-blooded dipshit who believes that they're God/God's sibling/Napoleon/whatever, or some rear end in a top hat who is willing to gently caress over the world's most powerful, insane corporation for money, power, or the promise of immortality, or just some mad scientist who thinks that literal monsters who are no longer capable of social interaction or higher brain function is OBVIOUSLY the next step in human evolution and MUST be aided in taking over the planet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I kinda love how much sense it consistently makes when you look at it a little bit sideways: of course they're all bonkers. You'd have to be crazy to even think that making something like this is a good idea to begin with - not even just because it's so dangerous, but because it's so useless.

Magic viruses: not even once.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Umbrella was a privately owned company that wanted to make super humans to rule the world and lead humanity into the next golden age. The super human stuff was getting pretty expensive so they decided to keep the company afloat by making biological weapons. They made some normal war crimes type poo poo but then realized that there was a niche market for crimes against humanity that were also war crimes. Their idea was to create a virus that would make its host a weapon while also spreading itself as much as possible in the process in order to completely exterminate life in specific areas. This turned out to be a bad idea, so their next plan was to make very obedient super soldiers pumped full of the first virus that would fill more traditional roles. Then someone became infected by the first virus by accident, and Resident Evil 1 happens.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Did the Plaga poo poo actually have anything to do with Umbrella? Or was that just a completely coincidental other crime against humanity

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Danaru posted:

Did the Plaga poo poo actually have anything to do with Umbrella? Or was that just a completely coincidental other crime against humanity
The original plagas were natural, just really freaky. That Spanish family had them just sitting in their basement for centuries. They genetically engineered the hell out of them by RE4, though.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hunters are vaguely controllable, non-infectious and since they are grown from scratch you can load them with all sorts of kill switches. if they can be made cheaply and quickly, that's not a bad product. granted, that's a pretty big if.

Yeah, when Revelations 1 was doing its big bioweapon attack on a civilian population they used a shitload of hunters. Game series is loving dumb, but the tyrants and hunters and others were the main monetization avenues. Zombies were a big whoopsy oops aw dang.

Danaru posted:

They're naturally occurring bullshit or something. Los Iluminados are a legit cult, and by that point Umbrella was dismantled anyhow. Tri-Cell's just Wesker's global saturation hobby project.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Resident Evil universe is just full of lots of plants, animals and viruses that can generate mass out of thin air and make anything they come in contact with want to eat people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TGLT posted:

Yeah, when Revelations 1 was doing its big bioweapon attack on a civilian population they used a shitload of hunters. Game series is loving dumb, but the tyrants and hunters and others were the main monetization avenues. Zombies were a big whoopsy oops aw dang.

Were Lickers also a mistake or were those also intentional?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Were Lickers also a mistake or were those also intentional?

I think they're like Crimson Heads in that they're a mutation if a zombie gets hosed up but not enough to kill it, so by extension of being zombies yeah. Although apparently Tricell makes some of them for sale later in the Damnation movie? But again Tricell is Wesker's very stupid plan for world domination. edit: Basically all the viruses in RE cause Stupid loving Mutations just non stop if left unchecked which progressively make the things dumber and angrier and fleshier.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 23, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think they even created lickers. It’s just something that happened when the virus got loose in the city.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly a lot of people are giving Umbrella poo poo for their business practices but "let's just mix a bunch of chemicals together and see if we can sell the result" is basically how actual pharmaceutical companies operate. Umbrella just happens to have the misfortune of existing in a universe where "horrible monsters" is a realistic outcome to that kind of experimentation rather than just like, a pill that doesn't do anything useful.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly a lot of people are giving Umbrella poo poo for their business practices but "let's just mix a bunch of chemicals together and see if we can sell the result" is basically how actual pharmaceutical companies operate. Umbrella just happens to have the misfortune of existing in a universe where "horrible monsters" is a realistic outcome to that kind of experimentation rather than just like, a pill that doesn't do anything useful.

The fact that horrible monster virus is also the virus that makes very swole near immortal muscle men is a tragic coincidence.

E: it's also worth pointing out that the catalyst of the events of RE1 and 2 is sabotage.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

TGLT posted:

I think they're like Crimson Heads in that they're a mutation if a zombie gets hosed up but not enough to kill it
I'm fairly convinced that they're literally just late-stage crimson heads, because those start to grow the same type of claws lickers get on their right arms.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm fairly convinced that they're literally just late-stage crimson heads, because those start to grow the same type of claws lickers get on their right arms.

Checking the wiki, crimson heads and lickers are caused by two different strains of the t-virus. Which is less fun but gently caress there's a version of the t-virus that turns you into stupid fish monsters and the biggest baddest fishiest monster is called Ultimate Abyss. Also it makes mutant barnacles with legs and arms and claws because everything has claws. Claws are the final stage of evolution.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Magic viruses: not even once.

Shadowrun would like a word with you. How else are you supposed to kill bug spirits?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'd do my big business effortpost, but it's really off topic here: maybe in the resident evil thread, where there's also a critical mass of resident evil canon nerds to check my work.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

About 80% of the Umbrella manufactured virus strains and BOWs were just sorta things that happened on the way to serving their founders dream of mass eugenics, and their marketability was a tertiary concern generally.

Sorta like the T zombies, they weren't great as a BOW cause they're actually worse than just hosing a population down with a normal disease but keeping the various strains around on hand for experimentation was important.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Now someone needs to change the song that happens when Mr. X gets near you to that Gay Bar song and it'd be amazing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYRXhalpt90&t=10s

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furia posted:

*trying not to shake from rage* anyways, please show me how this new line “project tyrant” is doing. I understand you have some prototypes to demo today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWcgMKNxgq4

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I can't find the Mr.X image that was just one of the videos someone linked, but I found this which is also cool:

https://twitter.com/KazuCrash_/status/1098697547202396165

"Sometime you've got to make a silent kickflip"

EDIT:

Here it is!

I keep thinking about getting RE2Make, but I feel like I should play the original first.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 23, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Shadowrun would like a word with you. How else are you supposed to kill bug spirits?

Why kill 'em? Just put a magic bell jar over Denver and you're fine.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I can't find the Mr.X image that was just one of the videos someone linked, but I found this which is also cool:

https://twitter.com/KazuCrash_/status/1098697547202396165

"Sometime you've got to make a silent kickflip"

Oh heck yes, the THUG community makes the best stuff.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat that reminds me, I never put THUGpro on my new PC.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Archonex posted:

Now someone needs to change the song that happens when Mr. X gets near you to that Gay Bar song and it'd be amazing.
Someone should make the speedo purple, put in the pillar men theme, and call the resulting mod Mr. Kars.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

turn off the TV posted:

Umbrella was a privately owned company that wanted to make super humans to rule the world and lead humanity into the next golden age. The super human stuff was getting pretty expensive so they decided to keep the company afloat by making biological weapons. They made some normal war crimes type poo poo but then realized that there was a niche market for crimes against humanity that were also war crimes. Their idea was to create a virus that would make its host a weapon while also spreading itself as much as possible in the process in order to completely exterminate life in specific areas. This turned out to be a bad idea, so their next plan was to make very obedient super soldiers pumped full of the first virus that would fill more traditional roles. Then someone became infected by the first virus by accident, and Resident Evil 1 happens.

So at least in Remake 2 the idea is that Zombies are phase 1 of your attack on a population centre, which is essentially a man made disaster designed to drain the target of resources and personnel. Phase 2 is controllable tyrant bioweapons to first take out high profile targets and other resistance (Mr.X with the RCPD, Nemesis with S.T.A.R.S) and then presumably they would turn their attention to mopping up zombies, which we never got to see really happen because Racoon City was a mistake that Umbrella decided to use as a trial. Some file in the Nest lays it out.

Of course then you have all the Umbrella Europe meddling and The US branch sending in their elite security just to see if they'd die or not. Possibly to see if they could be used for clean up or in an initial outbreak. Or maybe just for a laugh, it IS Umbrella.

Everything else I think are just accidents, like the Lickers and Orb Weavers and stuff. And then you have to factor in that Racoon City is weird and has miles and miles of subterranean laboratories that woukd have taken years to find and sort out. I always like that in some cases, months and months before Umbrella EU even hit Birkin there were small facilities under the city were every single person inside was dead or mutated into one thing or another. It's creepy just to think about them going dark one by one.

Uh..anyway in closing, Umbrella were very poorly run even when they weren't.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Max Wilco posted:

I keep thinking about getting RE2Make, but I feel like I should play the original first.

Don't. Just play RE2make.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Max Wilco posted:

Other than the mention of Chris Redfield I don't recall anything really tying RE2make to REmake.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It is worth playing both just to see how cleverly they translated some of the original setpieces between games. oRE2ginal holds up surprisingly well on its own merits even today. I'd play the translated PC version, though - you'd be surprised how much that helps. Makes the game feel almost modern.

The order doesn't really matter, though. RE2make is a lot smoother to play, so there's really no harm in starting with that one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh wait I see you meant the original Resident Evil 2, not REmake. Hmm yeah that's a tough one. I think it's worth doing simply because it's so short. The real question is whether or not it holds up today without the aid of nostalgia, and that I do not know. RE2make is great to me because its a hyper-competent remake of one of my most beloved games of all time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The great thing about RE2make is that it's still an amazing game even if you never played the original at all and couldn't care less about it. It's a remake, but it's different enough that it stands on its own two legs. If anything, I'd recommend starting with it and then deciding for yourself afterwards how well the originated holds up in comparison.

Personally, I think it's still at least a good as RE1make.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 23, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I've never played an RE game before, but I'm having fun with RE2make. It also has the most solid graphics settings menu I've seen to date, really should be the industry standard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Please take the RE chat to the RE thread, folks.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Cythereal posted:

Please take the RE chat to the RE thread, folks.

Not until Cardiovorax is forced to say oRE2ginal out loud.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 23, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Screw you, I thought it was clever. :colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speedo X should have a sun hat. 9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB5ckWbTtS0

I'm not sure whether the tanks doing walking animations or the man riding around on a horse with a lewis gun murdering wild west banditos is the best part.