Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

there are zero good video games

Wrong, Morrowind exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Now I want to pay 10$ to read his post history and his opinions about Portal

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Battle Brothers was the only game in the past five years I actually felt addicted too. Usually those XCOM style games don’t do much for me but Battle Brothers really snagged me somehow.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

Both Artifact and I are being bullied itt, and it needs to stop.

If you are being intimidated, try staying in your lane

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgZPAIy_WM0

this is the funniest joke ever made. first 10 seconds. portal 2 ftw.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I still like a lot of the core mechanics in Artifact but I wasn't willing to buy in past the initial purchase and the card pool is too shallow to sustain the game long term.

The first expansion is what I expect to decide it's ultimate fate.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

lovely Wizard posted:

I wonder if the business model caused them to purposely sabotage parts of the design. Like "save x% of the interesting stuff for the first expansion to sell cards better" or such.

Doubtful. It's very typical for set 1 cards to be bland (maybe not this bland).

The really unforgivable ones are the heroes, probably because they tried to include way too drat many. How many Blue heroes are 3 +- 1 / 7 +- 1 with a 1 sentence ability and an AOE damage Signature?

They should have gone for half as many heroes in Set 1, and put this guy in charge of them.

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's so easy to change heroes to be both more accurate and more fun. Abaddon - change his active to change incoming damage to healing for the turn, would be way more interesting than just heal + damage immune. Axe - give him loving culling blade, make it deal like 3 or 4 damage and if it kills then the cool down instantly refreshes. gently caress, give him counter helix as a passive and also make his Call instead change enemy targets while boosting armor for a turn. gently caress, why do so many heroes not even have their ultimates?? Give Dark Deer his wall and make a copy of an enemy and its neighbors. Give Centaur stampede and let him move any units in his lane at will for the rest of the turn. Let enchantress choose to forgo her current attack in order to target an enemy in another lane for bonus damage. Give Magnus RP and let him forcibly draw in enemies from other lanes. Let Lycan turn into a loving werewolf Jesus christ.

I don't even know what most of that stuff means, but it sounds exciting.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Normal Adult Human posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgZPAIy_WM0

this is the funniest joke ever made. first 10 seconds. portal 2 ftw.

This is still my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1_aKPIdnU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I told someone I didn't like Half Life 2 even a little bit and they accused me of not being alive when it came out, which I feel like is a defense reserved for games that were never as good as they were made out to be, like Sonic Adventure

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Half Life and Half Life 2 were technically extremely impressive which meant a lot more in that era than it does now... that's the part that doesnt really translate well. Theres nothing wrong with that tbh, they deserved their success at the time but I wouldnt expect HL2 to be all that interesting to a new player today.

unrelated question - what brought a 12 year old to somethingawful.com in 2016?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 22, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Let's Play? Was that still a big thing by that time?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

No Wave posted:

Half Life and Half Life 2 were technically extremely impressive which meant a lot more in that era than it does now... that's the part that doesnt really translate well. Theres nothing wrong with that tbh, they deserved their success at the time but I wouldnt expect HL2 to be all that interesting to a new player today.

Slenderman probably

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Half Life 1 was a genuinely great game. Half Life 2 was mediocre. Although it looks absolutely great for its time.

1998 was peak videogames.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
HL2 kind of set the stage for setpiece shooters, it was ahead of its time in that regard. That said I was pretty done with setpiece shooters after COD4 .

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
I'm thinking about the time I spent my $20 bucks on this video game

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My dirty secret is never having beat any of the half life games. I started 1 multiple times but never really got hooked and I didn't like anything remotely scary as a young teen.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

No Wave posted:

Kiwifarms :colbert:

I played HL2 on the 360 since I wouldn't have a PC that could play actual games on it for a while, and I think that contributed to me not being impressed by it on a technical level at all. By 2007, Gears of War and Oblivion would have both been released, which were more impressive to me at the time. From a gameplay perspective though, I think it was pretty average even for the time it was released. I also thought it was REALLY weird how into the story people were.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, as someone whose FPS debut was Halo 3, Half-Life 2 really felt kinda tepid to me by comparison. I also never got the hype for the no-cutscenes thing, either, because the problems with cutscenes were still there. You just could move during them, which only further highlighted how much time they took and just meant they didn't get a visual bump.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

gravity gun was fun as hell

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Bee posted:

Yeah, as someone whose FPS debut was Halo 3, Half-Life 2 really felt kinda tepid to me by comparison. I also never got the hype for the no-cutscenes thing, either, because the problems with cutscenes were still there. You just could move during them, which only further highlighted how much time they took and just meant they didn't get a visual bump.

It's very funny how many times I've seen someone just start tuning out during the looooooooong scene in Red Letter Day and start walking around to pick up random Bunsen burners and poo poo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Portal was my mind melting Valve game.

I'll never forget the experience playing through that the first time, I went in totally expecting a filler game that was tossed in The Orange Box.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Drakes posted:

HL2 kind of set the stage for setpiece shooters, it was ahead of its time in that regard.

Didn't HL1 do that?

I played HL2 not long after release and remember being underwhelmed. The story oscillated between generic resistance vs. fascist state and incoherent trippy mystery with 0 payoff.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Popete posted:

My dirty secret is never having beat any of the half life games. I started 1 multiple times but never really got hooked and I didn't like anything remotely scary as a young teen.

If it's any consolation the last portion of Half-Life is pretty mediocre so you've probably chosen the optimal playthrough.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Popete posted:

Portal was my mind melting Valve game.

I'll never forget the experience playing through that the first time, I went in totally expecting a filler game that was tossed in The Orange Box.

Portal is a legitimately great game, and Portal 2 shows that the concept can be expanded quite a bit without losing luster. Between those and TF2, Valve definitely wasn't mediocre in the mid-late 2000s. It's really only Half-Life 2 that feels overrated to me, and even then I think it's just kind of an era thing. Nobody's really beat Portal, TF2, or even L4D at their own niche, but Half-Life was a pretty ordinary shooter that's been succeeded by the pretty ordinary shooters of today.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Bee posted:

Portal is a legitimately great game, and Portal 2 shows that the concept can be expanded quite a bit without losing luster. Between those and TF2, Valve definitely wasn't mediocre in the mid-late 2000s. It's really only Half-Life 2 that feels overrated to me, and even then I think it's just kind of an era thing. Nobody's really beat Portal, TF2, or even L4D at their own niche, but Half-Life was a pretty ordinary shooter that's been succeeded by the pretty ordinary shooters of today.

Don't forget about Half Life Two Part One and Half Life Two Part Two!
:shepicide:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Portal 2 a lot but it wasn't quite the same experience as Portal simply because the first game was just such a novel experience it really felt like entering a new era in game mechanics and story telling.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Portal 2 relies a lot on JK Simmons being hilarious.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Portal 2 may not be as interesting (story wise, I guess?) but it has better puzzles and the multiplayer mode doesn't just feel like it was there to check a box, they have nice 2 player puzzles.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the co-op mode a lot. Discussing how to solve a puzzle with two people is neat anyway.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Avasculous posted:

Didn't HL1 do that?

I played HL2 not long after release and remember being underwhelmed. The story oscillated between generic resistance vs. fascist state and incoherent trippy mystery with 0 payoff.

I can't recall much about HL1 these days, probably? I feel HL2 released at this time where gaming was becoming more mainstream and it being visually impressive for its time. I tried playing HL2 after more modern setpiece shooters and just found myself bored.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Portal 2 may not be as interesting (story wise, I guess?) but it has better puzzles and the multiplayer mode doesn't just feel like it was there to check a box, they have nice 2 player puzzles.

Co-op mode on Portal 2 is an entirely seperate game that is also excellent, yet was included with Portal 2 instead of being DLC.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Co-op mode on Portal 2 is an entirely seperate game that is also excellent, yet was included with Portal 2 instead of being DLC.

Yeah nowadays it would be sold as a $15 level pack

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Portal 1 is unarguably a more tight and unique experience. But I think Portal 2 proved that its quite possible to expand that into a full product without losing too much in the process. I still think a game where you combined the Gravity Gun, the Portal Gun, and many years of innovation applied to Havoc physics would be really cool.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Portal 2 is great, it only suffers from not being Portal 1 which was a really fresh and engrossing game.

It's like how Oblivion blew my mind when I first played it at release and even though Skyrim is a better game it didn't have quite the same effect that Oblivion did.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Drakes posted:

I can't recall much about HL1 these days, probably? I feel HL2 released at this time where gaming was becoming more mainstream and it being visually impressive for its time. I tried playing HL2 after more modern setpiece shooters and just found myself bored.
HL1 gameplay was ok (the grenade launcher on the assault rifle was the highlight) but the headcrab noises and suit charging noise are the parts I'll always remember.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The final stage of the artifact thread -- talk about other, better games

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

boredsatellite posted:

gravity gun was fun as hell

Yeah, stuff like this is a dime a dozen now but I had never seen anything like it before HL2 and it was really fun and cool and novel.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
I wonder how this guy feels now. My excitement for Artifact can't be contained. My body is ready.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Im_Special posted:

I wonder how this guy feels now.

probably a lot like the zune guy