Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
So how come North America has the brown recluse but Australia is Spider Hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I encourage daddy long legs - the Australian ones are actually spiders - because they even eat other spiders.

Beyond that, I don't mind the occasional huntsman. They love nothing more than trying to give you a heart attack, but they're also big enough to tackle ugly nasties like cockroaches, millipedes and scorpions.

Occasionally even mice.

Naturally, jumping spiders are totally welcome :allears:

Every other species of spider can just gently caress right off.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hail satan

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I let the spiders in out of the way crevices be to themselves. The ones that scurry across the floor get murdered by the cats.

The best thing I ever had to fight a bug problem was a carniverous plant. Sundews work nicely if they can get enough light.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’ll admit I more often then not just say “oh hey buddy” when I see a small spider in the house, because I hope we have an agreement that he’s going to kill centipedes or poo poo I actually don’t want to be near.

But lol at anyone here soap boxing about it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My heart rate doubled reading the last page. I do not want spiders in my house, regardless of their benefits. I suppose someone not phobic wouldn't care just as I'm not going to lose my mind if I see a mouse or a snake or a leaf or whatever.

I do really like jumping spiders, though :3: They are like a completely different thing. Daddy Long Legs (Huntsman) also don't bother me if I'm outside and there arent 99999 of them

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
hail santa

I have a spider in my bedroom that knows he is welcome to stay so long as he keeps to the corners while I am there. He is a good little mosquito slayer, but I need to train him to do battkle with centipedes (and possibly craft a tiny set of spider-platemail for him).

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A friend of mine recently caught a jumping spider in her house and has made it her pet, to the extent of buying fruit fly cultures in order to feed it. You could do that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hell yea, satan page and spider chat!

Hail gay spider satan

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hail gay spider satan

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm spider phobic so all spiders must die. Exceptions made for the ones living in the garage

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
You haven't seen spiders till you lived on a small sailboat.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I've been looking into fishing as a hobby, and now I'm not anymore, thanks

Nah, you should still do it. That harmless spider ain't the boss of you.

Catch fish and hail Satan.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury Ballistic posted:

You haven't seen spiders till you lived on a small sailboat.

I have worked pest control, changed fuel filters under a gas pump in Florida (999 Black Widows err day), and been in the jungle in Saipan. I have seen some poo poo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The spiders will protect us from Beelzebub and His minions

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hail gay spider satan

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Bloop posted:

I've seen some poo poo you people wouldn't believe.
Black widows in a fuel filter under a gas pump in Florida.
I watched compound eyes glitter in the dark near the jungle of Saipan.
All these spiders will be lost to time, like bedbugs in a mound of diatomaceous earth.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I like where this thread is going.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
UK spiders and sneks are mostly harmless. Our most dangerous isn't even fatal unless your heart is weak.

I leave em be because flies and mice are annoying.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Y’all got to many insects in your house. Spiders to eat centipedes, mosquitos, ants everywhere. gently caress call orkin. I don’t want wild kingdom in my living room. 😀

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You can catch and relocate as necessary, and clear out webs as appropriate and/or as they accumulate stink bugs.

If you take a house spider outside, it'll just die.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol:

I'm still laughing at this like 3 mins later.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

GotLag posted:

So how come North America has the brown recluse but Australia is Spider Hell?

Because brown recluse bites aren't really fatal outside of exceptional circumstances. Most spider bites aren't because spiders tiny and don't produce enough venom to take down something as large as a human. Australian funnel webs just coincidentally produce a neurotoxin in their venom that's especially dangerous for primates, and even then deaths are uncommon without extenuating factors like age and health of the victim.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

:lol:

I'm still laughing at this like 3 mins later.

idgi, why?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like how page 666 of the construction thread is entirely about spiders.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hold firm

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

buy a lot of balloons

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

there wolf posted:

Australian funnel webs just coincidentally produce a neurotoxin in their venom that's especially dangerous for primates, and even then deaths are uncommon without extenuating factors like age and health of the victim.

By "are uncommon" you mean "haven't happened since the antivenom was developed 40 years ago"

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Gay satanic spider page needs more crappy construction.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's not surprising that alkaloids (eg caffeine) gently caress up spiders, given that their biological role in plants is as insecticide

For crappy construction content, when I have my shower first thing in the morning sometimes when the water starts running I get a whiff of sewer for a few seconds. My almost entirely uninformed guess this is something to do with a trap, but is there anything cheap I can do about it?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

GotLag posted:

It's not surprising that alkaloids (eg caffeine) gently caress up spiders, given that their biological role in plants is as insecticide

For crappy construction content, when I have my shower first thing in the morning sometimes when the water starts running I get a whiff of sewer for a few seconds. My almost entirely uninformed guess this is something to do with a trap, but is there anything cheap I can do about it?
Noseplugs?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jerry Cotton posted:

But I didn't actively squish it, so it's not my fault :downs:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

But I didn't actively squish it, so it's not my fault :downs:

Australian, eh?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

How many spiders?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Warmachine posted:

How many spiders?

None.

It was demolished in 2001.

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Warmachine posted:

How many spiders?

*zooms in*

Those aren't shutters :stonklol:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

see attached image

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

GotLag posted:

Without being able to poke at your plumbing for a clearer answer, I'd suggest either some bright spark installed two traps on the same stretch of plumbing so they're somehow managing to briefly both empty each other out, OR some section of the attached plumbing has the wrong or reverse incline to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

GotLag posted:

Have you tried sticking a bunch of drain cleaner/sanitiser down the drain yet? Could just be you have some bacteria growing in the trap or something.