Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
enderio conduits are good if you wanna get a lot of complex wiring going on in one block. you can then cover them up, too. I once made this whole multi floor thing with power and light switches and poo poo running everywhere with them, was neat.

I built a farm the other day using them to pipe around power, the farm product loop, and the sludge byproducts, all those pipes in one run of piping. I could add a redstone off switch yet, hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

McFrugal posted:

Look, greg may be an idiot but you're still not describing bad code. Code is bad when it does stuff you don't want, or takes too long to do what you want. Greg wants it to work this way, probably to emulate some sort of pressure mechanic since pipes have better throughput if the input can keep up with the output. He probably thinks the sloshing is realistic since it only happens when the pipes are partially filled.
Unless he really sat down and said "You know what would really make minecraft better? Fluids sloshing around pipes when there's not quite enough output space.", it's bad code.

E: He may have designed the code to work as a 3d-floodfill, but that's separate from the game design to be trace amounts of fluid wandering back and forth.

code/game design are separate things, and passing off bad code design as a feature happens all the time.

E2: Like the example last page, someone really sat down and made a god function with a "what should I do?" argument that overflowed the maximum java function size. They designed that function and all the ways to call it, and it worked "as designed" until they added just one more feature, but that's still bad code.

Harik fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 22, 2019

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

PO3

Lord craft.

What do i need to do to open void research? Ive done everything bar the sides of each crystal and the top two right, being void research.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Harik posted:

Unless he really sat down and said "You know what would really make minecraft better? Fluids sloshing around pipes when there's not quite enough output space.", it's bad code.

E: He may have designed the code to work as a 3d-floodfill, but that's separate from the game design to be trace amounts of fluid wandering back and forth.

code/game design are separate things, and passing off bad code design as a feature happens all the time.

E2: Like the example last page, someone really sat down and made a god function with a "what should I do?" argument that overflowed the maximum java function size. They designed that function and all the ways to call it, and it worked "as designed" until they added just one more feature, but that's still bad code.

You're still missing the point but I can't make my point any clearer. Good luck.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

PO3

Lord craft.

What do i need to do to open void research? Ive done everything bar the sides of each crystal and the top two right, being void research.

Build the Ascension Matrix and go to the Lords zone - it's after the translocation matrix in the questbook. Do a quest or two and it opens up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
EnderIO pipes are still my go-to because they're easy to build, you can have multiple types in one square, their performance is pretty good, their transfers/speeds are very quick, and they come premade with routing rules and auto-output so you don't have to build and attach servos to them.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Harik posted:

He did do that though; the sloshing isn't like, an accidental byproduct of sloppy code. It's a deliberate choice. Hell, the fact that it only happens four times a second means he tried to optimize the intended feature. Sometimes, a feature is all but guaranteed to cause performance hits, and the best programmer in the world with the tightest code possible still won't be able to make it performant enough to be lag free.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Whalley posted:

He did do that though; the sloshing isn't like, an accidental byproduct of sloppy code. It's a deliberate choice. Hell, the fact that it only happens four times a second means he tried to optimize the intended feature. Sometimes, a feature is all but guaranteed to cause performance hits, and the best programmer in the world with the tightest code possible still won't be able to make it performant enough to be lag free.

I'm going to implement the Travelling Salesman problem to allocate items in chests when they're dropped off by my new Devor Automation Network, (DAN).

If you have more than twelve chests in the network the tick rate increases exponentially and everything goes to hell. Items appear four or five minutes after they're created. My computer howls, but I don't care. Creepers have gathered around my base, but they do not explode. We all bask in the unholy glory of what I have created. The piece of charcoal that was being transferred from a furnace to the chest two blocks away is finally delivered, and the mob AI snaps back into place. My base explodes, and I welcome the destruction. The cleansing fire has destroyed all the nodes in the DAN and the Minecraft server is humming along happily again.

But that's how I, the mod author, have decided to write the code.

Is DAN poorly coded because I have chosen to implement a complex function that could instead be done by round-robin or some other method, when the general purpose of the mod is severely degraded by my choice? I would say yes, it's poorly coded.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Hooplah posted:

I kinda like GT pipes because at least they're intuitive. Mekanism cables now, those things make no sense to me. Getting more throughput for a longer cable is completely unintuitive.

Excuse you. Using EnderIO capacitor banks as a really expensive cable and at the same time providing more capacity AND throughput per capacitor added is absolutely a viable and fun way of powering your base.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Excuse you. Using EnderIO capacitor banks as a really expensive cable and at the same time providing more capacity AND throughput per capacitor added is absolutely a viable and fun way of powering your base.

In my Ultimate Alchemy map, I'm using Storage Drawers trim blocks as ersatz pipes for a drawer controller. I drop a slave at the end and do I/O from that.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Astral Sorcery question: The in-game manual says that altars and collectors and so on build up starlight quicker at higher elevations. I'm on an archipelago map so it's a pain in the rear end to build that high. Am I good to just build everything at sea level, or will it be painfully slow?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cicadalek posted:

Astral Sorcery question: The in-game manual says that altars and collectors and so on build up starlight quicker at higher elevations. I'm on an archipelago map so it's a pain in the rear end to build that high. Am I good to just build everything at sea level, or will it be painfully slow?

Speed really isn't a thing in Astral Sorcery. Starlight operates at magnitudes -- either you have enough, or you don't. That being said, you can largely ignore the height stuff and the fosic resonator's starlight fields. If you don't have enough starlight to craft stuff, make Spectral Relays and their associated multiblock. Put up to 4 around your altar, one in each cardinal direction. That should boost you up to be able to make the penultimate altar, with which you can make your own collector crystal and solve the problem of not enough starlight forever.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Harik posted:

Just to clarify: this is just my rationale for how something stupid like that could have happened, along with some chance they generated the code from some data ("Code is faster so I'll make all my data code!"). I distinctly do remember there being one situation where some mod did generate the exception you get when your method is too large, but I never knew exactly why.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Speed really isn't a thing in Astral Sorcery. Starlight operates at magnitudes -- either you have enough, or you don't. That being said, you can largely ignore the height stuff and the fosic resonator's starlight fields. If you don't have enough starlight to craft stuff, make Spectral Relays and their associated multiblock. Put up to 4 around your altar, one in each cardinal direction. That should boost you up to be able to make the penultimate altar, with which you can make your own collector crystal and solve the problem of not enough starlight forever.

Sweet, then I can cram the altars into my increasingly crowded island. Thanks!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cicadalek posted:

Well, until you see the attunement multiblock. :v:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Black Pants posted:

Sure, more cable (or capacitor) = more capacitance. That makes sense. The rate of transmission linearly scaling with the number of attached cables, regardless of whether they're in series or parallel, though?

Let's just say it took me a little while to figure out why my matter fabricator drained my hundred million+ rf capacity in seconds when I attached it to one long mek cable that says 1.2krf/t right on it. It's kind of annoying to use those when trying to throttle power to that thing. My current solution is a pair of rftools power monitors with one sending a redstone signal when my power network hits a lower limit and the other sending a signal when my power hits full. Both are controlling the mek cable so it cuts out when power hits 25%, then reconnects when it fills up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devor posted:

I'm going to implement the Travelling Salesman problem to allocate items in chests when they're dropped off by my new Devor Automation Network, (DAN).

If you have more than twelve chests in the network the tick rate increases exponentially and everything goes to hell. Items appear four or five minutes after they're created. My computer howls, but I don't care. Creepers have gathered around my base, but they do not explode. We all bask in the unholy glory of what I have created. The piece of charcoal that was being transferred from a furnace to the chest two blocks away is finally delivered, and the mob AI snaps back into place. My base explodes, and I welcome the destruction. The cleansing fire has destroyed all the nodes in the DAN and the Minecraft server is humming along happily again.

But that's how I, the mod author, have decided to write the code.

Is DAN poorly coded because I have chosen to implement a complex function that could instead be done by round-robin or some other method, when the general purpose of the mod is severely degraded by my choice? I would say yes, it's poorly coded.

What an awful analogy. That's not even how the traveling salesman problem works.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Cicadalek posted:

Keep in mind the full-size crafting altar structure is 11x11, the starlight infusion structure is 9x9 and the attunement altar structure is 19x19.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
where can I find pneumatic craft info for project ozone 3? Like how do I build a pressure chamber?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cicadalek posted:

Astral Sorcery has a few rather large multiblocks as well as a cheap, easy, and fast infinite range teleporter so having a dedicated temple area can be good.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

where can I find pneumatic craft info for project ozone 3? Like how do I build a pressure chamber?

:google:

https://ftbwiki.org/Pressure_Chamber

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Man I like the concept of Break Out but when it turns into 100% skyblock resource generation it slows down to a crawl since you don't really have the space to expand your resource generation much, and for some reason the iron pick's durability is nerfed so excavating the andesite shell takes several picks, which takes a while since your resource generation sucks AND iron is used for other things you need.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Man I like the concept of Break Out but when it turns into 100% skyblock resource generation it slows down to a crawl since you don't really have the space to expand your resource generation much, and for some reason the iron pick's durability is nerfed so excavating the andesite shell takes several picks, which takes a while since your resource generation sucks AND iron is used for other things you need.

Yeah, it gets really grindy near the end. Don't bother mining out the andesite shell too much, though. Just keep trucking with progression; things open up really soon.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Harik posted:

Even faster, take cuttings from one. Cuttings have a chance not to take, seeds always plant. There's a "bug" where the crop analyzer turns unidentified cuttings into seeds so you can basically instantly grow as many as you want.

It's adorable that you think the "sloshing" was designed rather than him doing it idiotically in code and never fixing it and slapping "feature" on it.

E: while I'm at it, I hate most piping systems because multi-output-type is a thing and only one or two mods let you designate which output goes to which side. luv2 smash my entire piping system because I get a fart of the wrong fluid in.

I personally agree that it's bad design, but it's not that weird to design fluid mechanics that way. That's very similar to how factorio pipes work as well, for example.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I've been noodling around with putting together "minimalist" packs again.

What would people's choices be for a magic mod, assuming that it would be the only one in the pack?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, it gets really grindy near the end. Don't bother mining out the andesite shell too much, though. Just keep trucking with progression; things open up really soon.

poo poo, I made a big mistake, I should've rushed for the cobblegen. I was bothered by the slow gravel generation from strainers but the trick is to get your automated cobble and then smash it with a compressed hammer, then craft compressed gravel for use in a heavy sieve. Heavy sieves are less efficient yes but you only need one mesh per sieve! Much better than making nine(or more) meshes to match an equivalent number of sieves. Good thing I only made four iron meshes before realizing this.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

What would people's choices be for a magic mod, assuming that it would be the only one in the pack?

If you want something a little more unique, you could make it Nature's Aura. It's a pretty new magic mod, and I haven't really seen it used too much.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Evil Mastermind posted:

astral sorcery seems fairly self-contained and least in need of support from other mods to do good things

e: Enigmatica 2 expert question: what are some good next steps in terms of power generation after the very basic immersive engineering stuff? i'd like something with a bit more "oomph" and nuclearcraft reactors seem a bit far away

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 23, 2019

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly, Astral Sorcery. I have a pack that's got a few magic mods in it and every time I think "hey which of these mods can do [x]?" it's always AS. It has some really neat options from common stuff like automatic tree and animal farming or powered up tools to some really cool enchanting mechanics and a suite of rare features I don't think I've seen anywhere else. For instance, there's something you can unlock that lets you see vague approximations in the world of any block you're holding, which can be used to search for ore deposits, find dungeons/mineshafts, all kinds of stuff. The newest version of the perk tree is really unique and offers a lot of different 'builds', and can offer significant changes like removing all your armor rating and turning it into extra max HP, filling rooms with light as you walk through them, or adding unpredictable chain-breaking when mining.

Thaumcraft's an old standard for a reason and even though the research aspect gets bogged down a bit (not as bad as the infrastructure you have to set up in every new world) there's still some cool and very aesthetically pleasing stuff in it, plus a somewhat customizable spell system, special tools, stuff like that.

Botania's never quite clicked with me but I do like a lot of the magic items it has to offer. It's a bit too focused on over-complex automation for my tastes but that's what some people swear by.

Blood Magic is a real slow start and I've set up that altar too many times to count with all the packs that have it jammed into the progression, but off the beaten path are some interesting options, including enchanted items and potion brewing.

Electroblob's Wizardry is a simple-as-it-gets magic mod, where you craft a wand, find and buy spells, then charge up your wand and go around hurling spells. No real customization unlike the other ones (though you can upgrade your wand and you get to choose which spells you bind to your wand) but a nice variety of spells with some cool effects to go around.

Wizardry (of the non-Electroblob's variety) is one I haven't had much chance to experiment with yet and it's not really complete at this state, but it picks up some tips from Ars Magicka with custom spells and tosses in some weirdness like having to literally grab a syringe and shoot up with raw mana to restore your MP.

Lastly, the Betweenlands is a cool magic-ish mod that has a custom alchemy system and some neat magic items, but probably not what you'd want in a minimalist pack.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If you want something a little more unique, you could make it Nature's Aura. It's a pretty new magic mod, and I haven't really seen it used too much.
Ooh, this looks pretty interesting. I'll have to look into this one.

The basic idea I had was something I saw on reddit a few months back: creating a modpack that has only five non-QoL mods, with the only exception being that a mod that has a "modline" (like the Thermal series or Quark) or expansions (like stuff for Tinkers') counting as one mod. I thought it'd be an interesting challenge to see how "complete" a pack you could make with that limitation.

e: yeah, I was thinking Astral as well, especially since it doesn't really seem to have a lot of overlap with most tech mods.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Minimalist packs are quickly becoming my pack of choice as well, mostly because it's the only loving thing that runs at a decent speed on my computer :negative:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Electrobob's is pretty good. For a minimalist pack where you're not using a big mod like Botania or Astral Sorcery it seems like a pretty good way to go.

Blood Magic I really like, but the hurdles for the first two tiers are such a pain. Once you get past that it's a lot of fun.

I also really have a soft spot for Totemic even though it's really small and kind of underpowered. Depending on the theme of a minimalist pack though it might fit.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I had found this, but it isn't really that descriptive considering it doesn't really describe how to put things into or take things out or actually filling it up with pressure, but I've managed to work it out from memory of pneumatic craft from 1.7 i think

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I had found this, but it isn't really that descriptive considering it doesn't really describe how to put things into or take things out or actually filling it up with pressure, but I've managed to work it out from memory of pneumatic craft from 1.7 i think

I like how they thought they were being clever and snarky then clearly illustrated the entire reason you were asking the thread while making an rear end of themselves

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

President Ark posted:

astral sorcery seems fairly self-contained and least in need of support from other mods to do good things

e: Enigmatica 2 expert question: what are some good next steps in terms of power generation after the very basic immersive engineering stuff? i'd like something with a bit more "oomph" and nuclearcraft reactors seem a bit far away

I went Mekanism advanced solar generators, then went for IC2 nuclear, which is buffed to 4x normal rates. sitting at about 3300rf/t right now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Hooplah posted:

I went Mekanism advanced solar generators, then went for IC2 nuclear, which is buffed to 4x normal rates. sitting at about 3300rf/t right now.

I used mek wind generators and then mek gas generators burning biofuel or whatever it is.

In vaguely related news, Pneumaticcraft can burn in a fire.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I added this to the pack, since there doesn't appear to be decent documentation in a book or online:

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/in-game-wiki-mod

It's also pretty bad but was enough to get me started having never really used pneumaticraft before. A running theme of PO3 seems to be complex mods with lovely/no documentation, which I'm not really a fan of.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

But... it does?

quote:

The Pressure Chamber Interface can also be added into the structure to allow the insertion and removal of items to and from the Pressure Chamber to be automated through Pipes.

https://ftbwiki.org/Pressure_Chamber_Valve posted:

A Pressure Chamber Valve is used to build a Pressure Chamber. At least one is required and it must be adjacent to the empty internal space. The valve is used for the compressed air to enter the Pressure Chamber.

The only hitch that it doesn't explain is the goofy way you have to position yourself to orient the pressure chamber interfaces properly.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

McFrugal posted:

What an awful analogy. That's not even how the traveling salesman problem works.

It's not a bad analogy because I chose to design the analogy that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

y'all are describing two separate things: quality of game mechanic, and quality of code implementing said mechanic

these can be good and bad independent of each other