Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hitman 2 has a mission where a target is getting a heart transplant, and because he has Situs Inversus, he has to get a transplant from someone else with Situs Inversus, so the heart is extremely rare. You can complete the contract by destroying the heart, but theres also a challenge for destroying the heart, then killing the target anyway.

Bonus points because I drunkenly tried to do another challenge and got my cover blown, so I clonked ten people with a hammer and shot the target seven times, and the challenge title "I Think He Is Dead Now" popped up :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Whoa... quote is edit.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
horror games aren't scary unless the controls are poo poo :colbert:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
There is something kind of meta about bad controls inducing a panic on top of whatever jump scare or unease the game has baked in.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Wouldn't mind similar kinds of controls from Receiver being put in a horror setting. Hell, against bland robots and sentries you could get put into a panic trying to reload your gun, imagine trying to do it as a the lights down the hallway you're in start to blink off one by one, and you hear something breathing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Teleglitch definitely shines the most when there's a horrible monster coming and you're frantically sorting through your inventory to find the right gun to kill it with.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really like that walking backwards in RE7 is painfully slow, so if you want to escape you have to turn your back to whatever's chasing you. Really cranks up the tension of thinking that some horrible monster is breathing down your neck.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Difficult controls can absolutely make a scary game even better. Even in more obscure games like Space Station 13 I find emergency situations so much more entertaining because the controls are labyrinthine and it allows for some very organic panicked reactions like loving up a weapon reload or screwing up surgery.

I've been playing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and I want to mention how there's almost no power creep insofar as the damage you deal/how much health enemies have. Your damage is pretty much entirely in in the single digits through the entire game, and enemies are challenging because of their individual quirks/attack patterns/weaknesses, not because they have a poo poo load of health. Even leveling up doesn't improve your stats all *that* much, so you generally need to get better at strategizing/timing/solving the enemy "puzzle" because brute force grinding just doesn't help. On top of that, the combat items you buy at the beginning of the game are still useful at the end.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Danaru posted:

Hitman 2 has a mission where a target is getting a heart transplant, and because he has Situs Inversus, he has to get a transplant from someone else with Situs Inversus, so the heart is extremely rare. You can complete the contract by destroying the heart, but theres also a challenge for destroying the heart, then killing the target anyway.

Bonus points because I drunkenly tried to do another challenge and got my cover blown, so I clonked ten people with a hammer and shot the target seven times, and the challenge title "I Think He Is Dead Now" popped up :allears:

Hitman 2016/2018 are games with an absolute mountain of PYF little things. If you're sneaky enough, you get a challenge for walking up to the target in the classic Hitman Suit and taunting him (since he betrayed your organization) before killing him. You can also just shoot his replacement heart through the glass and be done. Or there's a handful of ways to get into the room, in which case you can just grab it and toss it in the trash. Or you can hack into the AI that controls the hospital and bungle the operation (which also has its own super-deep easter egg!).

After you reach a certain level of mastery you can play through the level as a ninja. The ninja outfit is not accessible anywhere in the level, so you need to unlock this special starting location (which is on the mountain) where you start dressed as a ninja with a katana. The trick is that, as the ninja, you are marked as kill-on-sight to everyone, everywhere, so the Silent Ninja challenge for that mission (only kill the targets, never get compromised, etc) is one of the most skillful or save-scummy challenges in the game.

There's also a DDR setup in some employee break room on that map. Agent 47 is extremely bad at DDR and will lose if you play it... unless you play as the ninja, in which case you do really well.

In Hitman 2 (2018) you can knock out NPCs by tossing a rake on the ground and waiting for them to step on it, like that Simpsons bit.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Feb 21, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I always appreciate games that give you healing items that restore by total percentage instead of a flat value. Cuts down on the hoarder shame filling your inventory.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RyokoTK posted:

Hitman 2016/2018 are games with an absolute mountain of PYF little things. If you're sneaky enough, you get a challenge for walking up to the target in the classic Hitman Suit and taunting him (since he betrayed your organization) before killing him. You can also just shoot his replacement heart through the glass and be done. Or there's a handful of ways to get into the room, in which case you can just grab it and toss it in the trash. Or you can hack into the AI that controls the hospital and bungle the operation (which also has its own super-deep easter egg!).

After you reach a certain level of mastery you can play through the level as a ninja. The ninja outfit is not accessible anywhere in the level, so you need to unlock this special starting location (which is on the mountain) where you start dressed as a ninja with a katana. The trick is that, as the ninja, you are marked as kill-on-sight to everyone, everywhere, so the Silent Ninja challenge for that mission (only kill the targets, never get compromised, etc) is one of the most skillful or save-scummy challenges in the game.

There's also a DDR setup in some employee break room on that map. Agent 47 is extremely bad at DDR and will lose if you play it... unless you play as the ninja, in which case you do really well.

In Hitman 2 (2018) you can knock out NPCs by tossing a rake on the ground and waiting for them to step on it, like that Simpsons bit.

That’s also the level where you can summon Godzilla

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

I really like that walking backwards in RE7 is painfully slow, so if you want to escape you have to turn your back to whatever's chasing you. Really cranks up the tension of thinking that some horrible monster is breathing down your neck.

I guess it depends on how bad the controls get. I had zero problems with Isaac, who isn't exactly agile, from all of the Dead Space games. But even in the Resident Evil 2 Remake I found myself repeatedly cussing out Leon for running like he just took a fresh poo poo in his undies.

But on the whole, RE2Remake is such a great game other than a few small dings.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I always appreciate games that give you healing items that restore by total percentage instead of a flat value. Cuts down on the hoarder shame filling your inventory.

the Tales Of series is a blessing for this. No Potions that are useless after a couple of hours playing.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I have been playing Fishing Star World Tour on the Switch and it's a fantastic fishing game. Using the joycons as rod and reel is really fun.

The small thing I appreciate is that each level has a different platform for your fishing spot. Some of the calmer lakes and ponds have you in a wooden rowboat while some of the bigger oceans and whatnot have larger boats. Other times, you're just on a beach or river bank. One level even has a tiny little dock with a single lamp illuminating a huge cave.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

If you end up doing the Master Quest, there's a really evil variant of this where you have to give up a heart container if you don't have the rupees.

On reflection, for its time, the original Zelda had a massive amount of content, didn't it? There are definitely NES games that took me longer to beat, but I think those were all RPGs padded with random encounters. That technically includes Zelda II as well.

Zelda was an early title for the Nintendo Disk System in Japan, which was an add-on to the Famicom that used, well, disks instead of cartridges and so could store a lot more data. By the time it got to America, cart technology had improved so they could fit the game on one and have a battery save (and the Disk System kinda died out for that reason), but there actually were some technological leaps during the NES' lifespan. Super Mario Bros., when it was released, was about the peak of what the NES/Famicom could do, but later they were able to do even more.

So yeah, it was designed to be as big and expansive as possible and that was sort of a quantum shift in console games becoming less like trimmed-down arcade games.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Divinity: Original Sin 2: if a character sleeps with someone, they get the Lucky buff :haw:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I love that there's a contract for the bizarre shadow activated secret passages in Resident Evil 7.

Just imagining those hard working Resident Evil builders hanging out in the gross mutant house fitting some weird mechanism for the tenth time that year.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Necrothatcher posted:

I love that there's a contract for the bizarre shadow activated secret passages in Resident Evil 7.

Just imagining those hard working Resident Evil builders hanging out in the gross mutant house fitting some weird mechanism for the tenth time that year.

That would have been back before the gross mutant stuff. Apparently the RE universe is forked timeline where H H Holmes became an architect

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Necrothatcher posted:

...Trevor? :raise:

Oh crap that was four years before RE1, too. George doin' some practice work down in Louisiana.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Now I kind of want to read an in-depth building inspection for one of the RE mansions. Because even ignoring the zombies and miscellaneous biohazards, those are some pretty weird buildings and I very much doubt they're up to code. :v:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

One of those HGTV shows like "she's a disabled homemaker. He's a part time schoolteacher in rural Mississippi. Their dream? To construct a spiked deathtrap in their bathroom that can only be disabled by inserting jade figurines of twelve Chinese zodiac signs in proper order around their ivory crusted mirror."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Now I kind of want to read an in-depth building inspection for one of the RE mansions. Because even ignoring the zombies and miscellaneous biohazards, those are some pretty weird buildings and I very much doubt they're up to code. :v:

Like Viscera Cleanup Detail (where you play through various FPS maps cleaning up the mess the protagonist left behind), but OSHA Inspector. You play through various adventure/RPG maps appropriately tagging all violations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I 100% legit intend to have a secret entrance to my basement when I'm a home owner, but instead of an ethically questionable laboratory it's going to be a home arcade and party room. Crazy Taxi is way less likely to escape and kill me.

Still brainstorming the puzzle you have to solve to get in though. It needs to be simple enough to remember while drunk.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Lone Badger posted:

Like Viscera Cleanup Detail (where you play through various FPS maps cleaning up the mess the protagonist left behind), but OSHA Inspector. You play through various adventure/RPG maps appropriately tagging all violations.

This sounds great, but Polygon actually did a video doing this for Smash Bros stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nRC7PdNsHg

Which proves it's actually even better than it sounds, I want this goddamn game.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Danaru posted:

I 100% legit intend to have a secret entrance to my basement when I'm a home owner, but instead of an ethically questionable laboratory it's going to be a home arcade and party room. Crazy Taxi is way less likely to escape and kill me.

Still brainstorming the puzzle you have to solve to get in though. It needs to be simple enough to remember while drunk.

Put in a pin pad that involves pressing the buttons to make the tune of a beloved drunk song (like "Sweet Caroline" or "Don't Stop Believin'"). If you're too drunk to get it right, you're also too drunk to risk spilling your drink on your games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

That's the second best note in the game, the best one is this:

quote:

I'm tired of chasing all these shitheads around the yard.

The next time one of our guests runs away, hide the dog head reliefs so they can't get out of the house.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

This sounds great, but Polygon actually did a video doing this for Smash Bros stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nRC7PdNsHg

Which proves it's actually even better than it sounds, I want this goddamn game.

That was amazing, thanks for the link.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Breath of the Wild all the different systems etc. interact so incredibly and it lets you feel like you can find really unusual or unexpected solutions to problems.

I was in a Shrine where you have to connect the gabs in a bunch circuits (effectively) using various metal crates and barrels around the room and moving them into place with your magnesis power. The solution to the puzzle is to activate different circuits in certain orders to unlock areas with more metal objects to then complete longer circuits. It takes a bit of thinking but you should realise that the treasure room has a steel chest that can be magnified and used to complete the final circuit. However my weapon inventory was full when I went to open to open the chest so I dropped something I was carrying to make space for the new weapon. When I did that I remembered in an earlier side quest I had been able to use magnesis to pull up a spear dropped in water. Out of interest I tried it on the weapon I dropped and it worked, so then I figured I'd see if I could fill in the gaps with just weapons I dropped and I could. It ruled and really showed how robust the game rules are and i felt so smarty pants I wrote this post about it.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That was amazing, thanks for the link.

He's got a whole series. Which Megaman Robot is the most useful in peacetime? What is the military hierarchy of the Mario enemies? Which books in Skyrim are worth reading? Which Castlevania Monster is the sexiest? They're all pretty great

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've been playing Transcendence, again, and just had a bit that amused me. There's a minor bug in the late game, where the game starts running out of ideas for what to give as loot when the player destroys a high-level station or ship, and just starts spamming the same item over and over again. So you can get, like, 12 segments of diamond lattice armor, when ships usually can only use 4 segments of armor at a time. Or in this case, where I wrecked a Gaian Processor, basically a roaming factory that destroys everything it finds, hoovers up the debris, and turns it into ammo...and it had 326 plasma cannons in its hold. You can only use one gun at a time, but there they were, 326 plasma cannons.

(click for fullsize)

Imagine walking into the cargo bay of this giant ship and it's just stuffed to the gills with guns. Plasma cannons falling off the shelves, plasma cannons lining the hallways, plasma cannons in the kitchen cupboards, plasma cannons awkwardly swept under the rugs and bulging out of closets. A tasteful display of stacked plasma cannons in the dining hall. A hyper-realistic painting of a plasma cannon on the wall...oh wait, no, that's a real plasma cannon in a frame.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, an American ship.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Dewgy posted:

...Trevor? :raise:

Oh crap that was four years before RE1, too. George doin' some practice work down in Louisiana.

Just finished up a replay of the re1 remake and nah, George and family died in the 70s. I think the assumption is that his company lived on after they went missing. I think he’s also behind the goofy ship in revelations though?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
In Injustice 2, the Atom doesn't actually duck if you hold down. He just shrinks to like, 60% normal size.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, there's a game-long quest to find locations based on pictures stored in your magitek iPad, to recover your memories. At each point, there's a small cutscene of Link looking at the scenery, then opening the picture to compare. After you get all 12 memories, you're shown a 13th picture, but this one is an actual framed picture on a wall, not in your iPad. However, if you take a photo of that picture, when you go to get the memory, the game will play the scenery cutscene and pull up the picture you took. :iia:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ten years later, the Mount Rushmore mission of Red Alert 3 is still a loving bitch

edit: Ten years later, I have once again distractedly misclicked the 'sell' button while aiming for the 'repair' button and instantly sold my MCV

It's like a warm bath of nostalgia

The Chad Jihad has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Feb 23, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been running through Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles again because it's a nice chill-out game, and I like how fast the main character moves. Getting across the map never feels like too much of a pain because your default walking speed is really high. Also the sidequests are cute like the scarecrow who wants to be a fashionista, or the woman who wants to grow a beard to rival a neighbour who she is jealous of.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My favorite Little Thing in BotW is that when you equip a monster mask as a disguise Link's pose will change to imitate the posture and mannerisms of that enemy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I got around to beating the PSP Megamind game, Blue Defender and it's definitely superior to the Xbox game (Ultimate Showdown) despite being the same plot, because you can use any weapon at any time and they are all very different and all useful.

You start with a reliable, decently high ammo blaster that is generally handy throughout the game, then get an electric whip that hits in a wide arc, being very good for when you are surrounded due to it stunning every enemy types, leaving them open to melee or slower weapons. Then you get the standard but fun bouncy bomb weapon that fires in a short arc, then splits into smaller bombs, the number of which are determined by the weapon's level, greatly expanding the splash damage radius and sometimes getting a second hit. Then you get a fairly gimmicky weapon that seems dumb but turns out to be devastating because the Inflate-O-Matic doesn't just shoot an enemy and they inflate - it homes in on many enemies with one shot, rushing around the arena to inflate everything rendering them helpless, and one shot from anything you want finishes them off. That weapon only has 2 ammo because it's ludicrously good even at it's base level.
The final weapon is a bit slower, but you can aim it while moving which is nice - homing rockets that if you hold the shoot button lock onto a number of enemies and do massive damage, and due to the fact that you can move while firing they are actually reliable despite needing setup.

There aren't many enemy types and the bosses are still fairly basic (although they are actual fights that aren't totally mindless) but the weapons are fun. Very Ratchet and Clank.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

People are modding joke endings into the Resident Evil 2 Remake. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuMjLVskl4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Kiryu: "I have never killed anyone, I didn't kill that man and must prove my innocence."

Like 10 chapters later

"Give me the gun so I can shoot like 40 guys on the highway. I can probably take out those helicopters too.