Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Cool, good to know, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Some less than ideally aimed coolers can make the hot end struggle to keep temp if run to high. I think the Dii coolers are often run below 75% fan speed because of that.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Got my anycubic mega S. Bed is definitely slightly warped in the center, but removing the little metal clamps and pegging the heated bed at 90C seems to have gotten rid of half of it. Managed to get a near ideal (not perfect) first layer. Also managed to put a gash in it right at the start because I didn’t understand the instructions but it’s only on the edge of the bed.

Printing the owl pair right now :). 52% done!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gear: Makerbot Replicator w new Smart Extruder

Situation: the new extruder keeps throwing Error Code 65’s like they’re confetti, ~7 in a half hour period, ruining prints and making them take forever.

I printed off (slowly) a clip to keep the extruder firmly placed on the harness, waiting to see if that works.

In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas? The MB troubleshoot did not help.

Edit: just got an Error 65, crap

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol, makerbot smart extruder

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Another trip report:

Switching to PETG was interesting but I think I got it dialed in. I had to add a 50 micron offset for the first layer and the amazon basics PETG basically stuck like hell/ flowed like butter after that. I also added in 6mm @ 60mm/s retractions and turned off combing to stop stringing.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Seriously though, jettison that makerbot

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BMan posted:

Seriously though, jettison that makerbot

It’s what my employer chose :(

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Anyone with a Titan extruder have problems with it shredding filament with retractions? Didn't have this problem until I switched to Trinamic drivers, so much quieter, but I've had to limit to 5 retracts per 2mm or it'll just file the filament down.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Tell your employer they hosed up bigly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Anyone with a Titan extruder have problems with it shredding filament with retractions? Didn't have this problem until I switched to Trinamic drivers, so much quieter, but I've had to limit to 5 retracts per 2mm or it'll just file the filament down.

Negative. Make sure the tension is set properly, the filament isn't oversized, and the extrusion temperature is appropriate.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Professor Shark posted:

It’s what my employer chose :(

They made bad unresearched decisions and didn't save money by any metric whatsoever :( I think most of us have been there. Usually it's the result of saving a dollar today to lose three tomorrow, but going for a Makerbot isn't even good by that metric.

On some basic level, please track how much time you spend loving with it (which is also time you can't spend doing other stuff) so you can show it's a bad thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Makerbot being a subsidiary of Stratasys was probably a driver of that decision. Too bad it backfired.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I am trying to install Marlin 1.1.x on my stock Prusa i3 MK2 so that I have a starting point for what I really want to do, which is hack in two TMC2130 SilentStepSticks for the X and Y steppers.

It looks like everything is working except the LCD; I can build and upload Marlin using the Arduino IDE and when I open the serial monitor I get status information including my custom build name.

I thought I had copied all the relevant settings from Configuration.h in the Prusa MK2 branch, but no matter which LCD controller I specify the LCD just displays two bars (like this photo I found). I am going to try reinstalling the Prusa firmware when I get home just to make sure I didn't break the LCD somehow, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience getting Marlin working on an MK2 and could point me in the right direction...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Professor Shark posted:

Gear: Makerbot Replicator w new Smart Extruder

Throw the printer in the dumpster & act like you have no idea where it went.

A $350 Monoprice printer will literally print circles around anything Makerbot sells.

gently caress Makerbot.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
i just found out reprap savant/shitlord digital dentist has a bad corexy collection and it's pretty good https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Fdp4ah8Wh1CzPStKwDIiN_boE0fUlqfv

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yikes, I didn't expect Makerbot to have such a bad rep. Anyway, I sent the extruder back and ordered a replacement, maybe it will work?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

PlaneGuy posted:

i just found out reprap savant/shitlord digital dentist has a bad corexy collection and it's pretty good https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Fdp4ah8Wh1CzPStKwDIiN_boE0fUlqfv

:eyepop:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Professor Shark posted:

Yikes, I didn't expect Makerbot to have such a bad rep. Anyway, I sent the extruder back and ordered a replacement, maybe it will work?

:thunk:

Snackmar posted:

Here's some advice you can count on: Don't buy a loving MakerBot.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

For a time.

The Smart Extruder is the root cause of pretty much all makerbot hostility.

They've made other infuriating decisions, but none of them that made the printers bad.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dayum, that belt system is nuts

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Why's the print bed on belts? I don't see the point of it rotating, if your gantry does XY. What an I missing?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why's the print bed on belts? I don't see the point of it rotating, if your gantry does XY. What an I missing?

The gantry only moves in one direction and the bed rotates. Or at least I assume that's what they're going for. Saw something like that at a makerfaire 2-3 years ago.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ah that must look cool as gently caress doing a rounded corner, near that the design can work

I was watching this build video, and thats how I thought this one was going to go, it looked like the bottom of the frame was a giant toothed gear (visible at the 1:00 mark), but it was just how he designed it to look, it functions like a standard printer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q6GCdMk_WQ

TKIY posted:

Another newbie question, PLA filament from Hatchbox seems to be the gold standard but are there other brands to try out? I see good reviews on AMZ3D and it's about $7CDN less a spool on Amazon.ca
VVVVVVV

My worst filament experience was with Hatchbox stuff and I never went back. maybe the filament itself is fine but they use those tiny spools and wind their poo poo so tight I had to re-spool half the roll to a standard spool so it would stop binding up on me, and thats all I can remember. I've started buying Botfeeder stuff from a local shop and haven't had any complaints so far. Blue and Black prints very nicely, exactly how I expect it to and I've never had any silliness with the rolls.

Honestly though its not like PLA from one brand and PLA from another brand will BLOW YOUR MIND with the difference, it'll just be more of the same in all likeliness (unless you go for glow in the dark, or sparkly stuff:goshawk:). Do you just want a different colour to try? If you really want to experiment and see what your machine can do, try something like Sainsmart TPU. See if your machine can handle it. Its certainly different material to get used to, but I bet you could get it down. Different materials are where the fun stuff is at, planning your print with some parts in PLA, others in TPU, etc.

Acid Reflux posted:

AMZ3D is pretty well-regarded stuff in the various 3D printing groups on Facebook. I've never used it myself, but I'd buy a dozen rolls of it to try before I ever give Hatchbox any more money.
:hfive:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 22, 2019

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Another newbie question, PLA filament from Hatchbox seems to be the gold standard but are there other brands to try out? I see good reviews on AMZ3D and it's about $7CDN less a spool on Amazon.ca

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

TKIY posted:

Hatchbox is far from gold anything if you ask me, but it's apparently generally serviceable filament unless you happen to get one (or five) of their conveniently pre-moistened rolls that wont print for poo poo.

AMZ3D is pretty well-regarded stuff in the various 3D printing groups on Facebook. I've never used it myself, but I'd buy a dozen rolls of it to try before I ever give Hatchbox any more money.

I like Inland and Priline for inexpensive yet decent PLA. Not sure what availability for those might be up your way. eSun makes excellent PLA+/PLA Pro, but you pay a bit of a premium for it.

Everyone has their favorites though, and for every one of me that hates Hatchbox, there will be another someone whose opinion is the polar opposite. The best thing you can do is buy whatever looks good to you and try it out. :)

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 24, 2019

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I use the cheapest ebay PLA when it’s my own stuff and colorfab in work and the difference is negligible, if anything the cheap stuff is less trouble.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

TKIY posted:

Hello fellow canadian, buy "EconoFil" filaments from filaments.ca.

e: Their other filament is good too, but the EconoFil line is the cheapest you'll find anywhere.

e2: drat, the PLA is sold out again

BMan fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 22, 2019

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

Hello fellow canadian, buy "EconoFil" filaments from filaments.ca.

e: Their other filament is good too, but the EconoFil line is the cheapest you'll find anywhere.

e2: drat, the PLA is sold out again

Oh I'll check it out, thx.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The gantry only moves in one direction and the bed rotates. Or at least I assume that's what they're going for. Saw something like that at a makerfaire 2-3 years ago.
Really? That sorta looks like CoreXY.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Combat Pretzel posted:

Really? That sorta looks like CoreXY.
It is corexy. "imma stack these belts cause that's the way to do it" *doesn't offset the idlers so the belts rub at the crossover anyway*

I once thought about making a polar printer, but I found a dumber idea.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Been progressively working on a higher detail "set and forget" high detail profile

Sandworm because fun

Aztec deathwhistle because I love screaming appearently

It's currently looking really good at 0.15 with a 0.6 nozzle.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TKIY posted:

I've had good luck printing Hatchbox PLA, you need to be very careful to never introduce any slack in the filament or it will loosen the coils around the spindle and rebind them over each other, but with a fresh roll and a little bit of care you'll get great results.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

I've had good luck printing Hatchbox PLA, you need to be very careful to never introduce any slack in the filament or it will loosen the coils around the spindle and rebind them over each other, but with a fresh roll and a little bit of care you'll get great results.

No, that just happens when you let go of the end, and it will happen with any spool of filament.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I've only ever had that be a problem if the end somehow gets under one of those loops.

Otherwise, the extruder gives no fucks.

I have had a bondtech extruder tear a spool off its mount because of a from-supplier tangle though.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I have had a bondtech extruder tear a spool off its mount because of a from-supplier tangle though.

I just ordered a pair of BMGs and this is exactly the sort of testimonial I needed to make me feel good about the purchase.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

cephalopods posted:

I just ordered a pair of BMGs and this is exactly the sort of testimonial I needed to make me feel good about the purchase.

The real head-scratcher came when a different printer pulled itself off the table and suffered some moderate frame damage when the filament snapped off at the tangle (once the printer pulled itself up against the spool) and dropped the printer back on the table.

Like, I know PETG is good, strong filament, but that was ridiculous (wish I'd gotten a timelapse of that, but the Octopi on that printer was one of the casualties).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Fayez Butts posted:

No, that just happens when you let go of the end, and it will happen with any spool of filament.

I've had it a quarter of the way through a Hatchbox roll I got sloppy with. I had to babysit every drat print until I'd burned through the rest of the roll. From what I've heard, this isn't super uncommon with Hatchbox.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, that could be, and it may be something to watch for when printing (in case it's not fitted correctly and plastic manages to ooze out).

Welp, you were onto something. Finally got it dialed in enough to do a larger print (big part of the petsfang, took some hairspray to get it to stick to the glass) and... turns out there must be a gap because the hot end is covered in plastic. That would explain the "under" extrusion I've been compensating for.

Got a new one already set to be delivered today. At least they're cheap as gently caress. I'll probably crimp some connectors on the wires so they're easier to swap in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

GL600E-2432
https://www.werackyourworld.com/products/part/gl600e-2432#1/1

One of these popped up in my area for $250. I'm looking for an enclosure primarily so that if the device catches fire it doesn't immediately spread to my all-wood house. Most likely I'll put a kitchen fire suppressant device of some sort in there too. Secondary features are noise reduction, storage, etc.

It looks like a good deal, but I'm not sure if spending ~$300 on a case for my $180 3d printer is way overkill. At the same time, those LACK enclosures are cool, but aren't going to do anything to keep my apartment from burning down. Is this server rack worth pursuing, or just a giant waste of funds?