What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

  • Post
Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Haha at people crying, "Oh boo hoo rich lady," when the tenant in question was LITERALLY SCAMMING HER.

lol if you think I'm gonna take a landlord's word on that poo poo. like the fact that you think someone on disability has several thousand dollars lying around to sue multiple landlords a year with tells me all I need to know about your critical thinking skills. by the way have you heard of this new thing called bitcoin because I've got some blockchains to sell you

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Haha at people crying, "Oh boo hoo rich lady," when the tenant in question was LITERALLY SCAMMING HER.

Also, Relentless, next time you see your mom, thank her for bailing me out of jail that one time.

The property managers who I rent from inspect my property 3 months after move in and every 6 after that. The primary reason was, OMG, to check for leaky pipes and other maintenance issues that can mushroom into complete fuckshows if unattended. You can't trust people to notice on their own. I didn't notice water was getting behind my tiles at a previous apartment, and it was so bad I had to shower at my parents' house for 2 months while it was under repairs. Fortunately, my landlord noticed it on an inspection. Which he did regularly. Because that's his job as a landlord. To notice things that need fixing and get them fixed.
It is your ethical duty to scam money out of landlords and other capitalists. Those who refuse are collaborators and deserve the :thermidor:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

[...]

Cash bail is a system perpetuated by rent-seekers to punish the poor and make sure that rent-seekers will never be held accountable for anything. It's her fault you had to be bailed out in the first place. :thermidor:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Christoph posted:

Absent? She lives like 15 minutes away but tries not to disturb tenants. The origin of the problem was an improperly repaired roof because Portland contractors suck balls. That was part of the money put in. It's not a slum. The renters weren't poor, they were (ironically) hydroelectric engineers. And it was the first place she bought, so yeah. Lessons were indeed learned.

It's preferable to threaten people with eviction rather than tell them you're not renewing their lease?

You're willfully missing the point. The point is - if you have cause for eviction there are processes in place and you may not even have to utilize those processes because there are informal avenues that may resolve the situation.

So what's the point of no-cause eviction? No-cause eviction wouldn't have helped Relentless' mom. It doesn't appear to have been of any use to your girlfriend, because as far as I can tell she either (1) had cause to evict, or (2) was angry that there was a hidden structural problem and her tenants didn't notice it for her until it resulted in a catastrophic problem (you really haven't provided enough information to make this determination). In the case of (1), the fact that she had cause would have been enough. They could either move or she could use the process. In the case of (2), it was probably an rear end in a top hat move to make them move, but maybe they wanted to anyway after the catastrophic failure.

I'm asking you to justify no-cause eviction being a thing. You're justifying it with vague statements of "well it's easier than using the process that exists" and subtly implying "for-cause eviction doesn't allow me to evict people when I dislike them so I need a no-cause process to also get rid of those people. Neither of those arguments is compelling.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Reene posted:

lol if you think I'm gonna take a landlord's word on that poo poo. like the fact that you think someone on disability has several thousand dollars lying around to sue multiple landlords a year with tells me all I need to know about your critical thinking skills. by the way have you heard of this new thing called bitcoin because I've got some blockchains to sell you

Then take the word of a goon who used to help repair apartments between renters for said "rich" lady.

But y'all got your minds made up, so my input ain't worth poo poo. Obviously. Keep fighting the good fight, y'all. Solidarity.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Then take the word of a goon who used to help repair apartments between renters for said "rich" lady.

But y'all got your minds made up, so my input ain't worth poo poo. Obviously. Keep fighting the good fight, y'all. Solidarity.
You put rich in quotes but Relentless literally said their mom, "remarried rich," and had no trouble dropping $3,000 to fight a court case on principle.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Then take the word of a goon who used to help repair apartments between renters for said "rich" lady.

But y'all got your minds made up, so my input ain't worth poo poo. Obviously. Keep fighting the good fight, y'all. Solidarity.

I don't even need to take your word for it because even if I start from the place where everything they said was 100% true it still doesn't support the argument that "no-cause eviction is an important tool that landlords need to be able to rely on..."

Unless you're saying that the scammer would have moved if asked nicely at the end of the lease...?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Steve Jorbs posted:

You put rich in quotes but Relentless literally said their mom, "remarried rich," and had no trouble dropping $3,000 to fight a court case on principle.

Where's your bank account numbers, Steve? I wanna make sure you're poor enough to post here.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Steve Jorbs posted:

You put rich in quotes but Relentless literally said their mom, "remarried rich," and had no trouble dropping $3,000 to fight a court case on principle.

He was an accountant, but he's not a millionaire or anything.

This was all a few years ago, but if I recall the lady's son was sending her money to help pay the rent. She instead was keeping the cash and running this scam repeatedly, and ended up moving in with him when it failed.

All ethics of the landlord/renter relationship aside, mental illness is real. People do not act in their own rational self interest quite frequently. And there's a big mental divide between "Lease is up, time to move" and "I AM BEING EVICTED FIGHT IT TOOTH AND NAIL".

I didn't bring it up because of the no-cause thing (I am personally in favor of it, especially in a rent situation like Portland), just wanted point out that for-cause evictions aren't simple or easy like some people are claiming.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Relentless posted:

just wanted point out that for-cause evictions aren't simple or easy like some people are claiming.
Quote the person that claimed this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I dunno I think throwing someone with a disability that prevented them from working 1000 bucks a month and then telling them to somehow meet all their needs is pretty lovely as a society, and if that person felt the best way to live was to scam landlords out of free rent, then more power to her. I guess it's easier to write her off as some mentally ill bad person or whatever but SSI and disability payments have fallen far below any standard of living even in areas where other welfare systems are still functional and in place and accessible. I guess it would be better for people like that to die in the street rather than inconvenience someone who lives a comfortable bougie life.

Relentless posted:

He was an accountant, but he's not a millionaire or anything.

:qq:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 23, 2019

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Relentless posted:

It wasn't even attempted. She just ate the legal costs that insurance didn't cover and moved on.

Merely considering it would make you "a bad person".

Relentless posted:

I'll try to find the letter next time I go to visit, but this lady wrote a letter saying she wouldn't move out unless she was given 2k in cash.

Which would have been cheaper than the legal fees in the long run, but way to defend blackmail?

If this person was doing those things because of mental illness then it is simply not her fault because she can not control the thoughts which lead to the actions.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Hey everyone, I'm a total class Ally and want you to know that I stand in solidarity etc. but I'm close to becoming a slumlord so you should be against policies that hinder me.

Okay see you later oh by the way my SO is a landlord and so is my mom who also married rich lol.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

twodot posted:

Quote the person that claimed this.

twodot posted:

Why not for-cause evict them at the time the damage was done instead of waiting for a lease to expire? Like if a tenant is such sufficiently bad that it's reasonable for a landlord to say "No I hate your money go away", that should just be a for-cause eviction. If landlords find doing for-cause evictions annoying, they get to shut up and take it.

Just evict them!

xrunner posted:

That sounds like the kind of thing that would be cause for eviction... unless you didn’t find out until they moved out or the catastrophic damage occurred... in which case why would you have considered a no cause eviction?

Landlords have plenty of options. Boo boo if they have to work a little bit harder to get rid of a tenant they dislike.

Just evict them!

Solkanar512 posted:

Excessive damage feels like it would be cause, but is there a strict definition currently, or a new/amended definition in this bill?

EDIT: Here are some examples, and it sounds like you could have them evicted with 24 hours notice for serious poo poo.

Just evict them!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I think we have a pretty big divide between, "Rich enough to survive a bad medical situation," and, "Motherfucking CEO who can pay a million dollars a day to his coke dealer and still come out ahead."

But I mean.

You do you.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Relentless posted:

Just evict them!

Just evict them!

Just evict them!
So you're saying literally no one said evictions were simple or easy and you felt it was really important here to jump in and defend the capitalist class garnishing disability payments for no actual reason?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Y’all need to chill out.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

twodot posted:

So you're saying literally no one said evictions were simple or easy and you felt it was really important here to jump in and defend the capitalist class garnishing disability payments for no actual reason?

Since when does being disabled mean you're immune from following the law?

Edit: ...okay fine.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Lightning Knight posted:

Y’all need to chill out.

Sorry. My bad.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

posted without seeing LK

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

e: whoops sorry

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Relentless posted:

Just evict them!

Just evict them!

Just evict them!

You're doing that thing landlords do where we start talking about reigning in their ability to gently caress over tenants and then they go "but what about horrible tenants I need that ability"

Then we go "you can evict them" and then the landlord says "but evictions are hard - here's a situation that could only have ever been handled by an eviction, do you want me to have to do that every time?"

Then we go "I don't think you should be evicting people unless you have a reason, and if you do there is a process - and hey - i'll bet there are plenty of situations where just the threat of the process will get you what you want anyway."

Then the landlord says "but what about this extreme situation that would never have been resolved through a no-cause eviction in the first place. Doesn't that demonstrate how hard it is for landlords?"

And all the middle class suburbanites nod their heads at the poor landlord and how hard it is out there for a hardworking rent seeker, and nothing gets done because landlords have it so hard.

Then we start asking again "but what would no-cause eviction have done in this case?"

And the landlord is all like "what, oh, nothing, I'm fine with getting rid of no-cause eviction. Let me quickly pivot back to this horrible experience about this awful tenant I had and how hard it is to use the eviction process. What were we talking about again before that?"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Public Housing'd be way simpler.

American public housing is as hosed up as American Healthcare.

Look at how they do it in Vienna:

Article: Why rich people in Austria want to live in housing projects
From: PRI
Date: 2015 OCT 16

quote:

VIENNA, Austria — Think of the words social housing project. What comes to mind?

Do you envision lush parks, tennis courts, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, and saunas? Probably not. But Austrians do.

About 3 in 5 residents of Austria's capital Vienna, rich and poor, live in a “Gemeindebau” — public housing provided and managed entirely by the city — as well as other subsidized social housing typically run by nonprofit associations.

For a Gemeindebau apartment, the average rent per square foot is just under 50 cents, and 70 cents for new properties. The average among private housing is more than double, at $1.35.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Accretionist posted:

From: PRI
Date: 2015 OCT 16

The US did public housing in the worst possible way it could have and it had very bad effects and, like it or not, it poisoned the well for at least another twenty/thirty years. That and current public housing assistance being a massive subsidy for slum lords, and the heavy propaganda that everyone should live in a detached single family home being a massive subsidy for a large percentage of the economy... I'm with you, but I don't know how you move forward.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

xrunner posted:

The US did public housing in the worst possible way it could have and it had very bad effects and, like it or not, it poisoned the well for at least another twenty/thirty years. That and current public housing assistance being a massive subsidy for slum lords, and the heavy propaganda that everyone should live in a detached single family home being a massive subsidy for a large percentage of the economy... I'm with you, but I don't know how you move forward.

Except in Seattle where it was pretty successful and well maintained and where we are currently gentrifying our public housing units.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The kind of people who whine about rent control and not being able to evict people who have given no cause are all the evidence I need that this law is a good thing.

Like, if you only see tenants as an income source and not human beings who deserve stability, get the gently caress out of the landlord business.

"a bloo bloo if this passes I'll just sell my rentals it's not worth it" good, then humans can buy and live in them, or someone who actually wants to do the job of landlording can do so. gently caress you, go away.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

xrunner posted:

The US did public housing in the worst possible way it could have and it had very bad effects and, like it or not, it poisoned the well for at least another twenty/thirty years. That and current public housing assistance being a massive subsidy for slum lords, and the heavy propaganda that everyone should live in a detached single family home being a massive subsidy for a large percentage of the economy... I'm with you, but I don't know how you move forward.

It's been roughly 30 years, we keep aging I know.

I refuse to believe that just because someone messes up we cant try something again for a generation.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
The city of Berlin is buying back housing from landlords, seems legit to me.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Shifty Nipples posted:

Merely considering it would make you "a bad person".

It's a common scam. We used to see it a couple times a year in the trailer park I grew up in, in South Florida. They move in pay a couple months, stop paying for a couple months, then when things come to a head they dissappear in the middle of the night or do something similar to what was described by relentless.

The other side of this, is that these are often desperate marginalized people. Some of it's desperate people trying to not be homeless (often with kids), some of its assholes that you don't want in your community bringing heavy drug use and domestic violence etc. It's not as simple as either side is arguing and I remember specfic people from my childhood who did it. My son's god father dated somebody for a while who left their family when they ditched on the trailer park.

It's unhealthy to idealize and reify any thing, even the proletariat. It's also unhealthy to not have sympathy for our brothers and sisters especially the most marginal ones.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

BrandorKP posted:

It's unhealthy to idealize and reify any thing, even the proletariat.
Nah. If your reaction to "This person scammed me, but they have zero assets and zero income to the point that I need to think about garnishing their government benefits given to them so they can live", is "I will think about taking that money" you are the baddie.
edit:
Another thought process is "This person scammed me, but their scam is so bad they don't even have money that I can recover through the courts". We need to care about Madoff or mortgage level scams, not "I have zero assets and I'm doing my best to survive" scams.

twodot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 23, 2019

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Lol dude next sentence:

It's also unhealthy to not have sympathy for our brothers and sisters especially the most marginal ones.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Lol dude next sentence:

It's also unhealthy to not have sympathy for our brothers and sisters especially the most marginal ones.

No time to read, there's virtue to post!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Maybe... The truth is in the middle? :downs:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

BrandorKP posted:

Lol dude next sentence:

It's also unhealthy to not have sympathy for our brothers and sisters especially the most marginal ones.
"Some things are bad" also "Other things are also bad" also "If I describe many things as bad I can never be held to task for supporting specific bad things".

twodot fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 23, 2019

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

twodot posted:

"Some things are bad" also "Other things are also bad" also "If I describe many things as bad I can never be held to task for supporting specific bad things".

So twodot... you think idealizing is a good thing. You're half assing your poo poo again.

Peachfart posted:

Maybe... The truth is in the middle? :downs:

The middle's to be spat out. Idealizing anything is not a thing materialists should do. This in no way conflicts with asserting the complexity of individual humans lives and sympathy for thier specfic situations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Also, Relentless, next time you see your mom, thank her for bailing me out of jail that one time.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

But y'all got your minds made up, so my input ain't worth poo poo. Obviously. Keep fighting the good fight, y'all. Solidarity.
I mean that is definitely a thing.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I think we have a pretty big divide between, "Rich enough to survive a bad medical situation," and, "Motherfucking CEO who can pay a million dollars a day to his coke dealer and still come out ahead."
Not the way you think, anymore. But your lack of awareness is telling.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/most-americans-are-one-medical-emergency-away-from-financial-disaster-2017-01-12

quote:

Millions of Americans are one pay check away from the street

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/few-americans-have-enough-savings-to-cover-a-1000-emergency.html

quote:

Only 39% of Americans have enough savings to cover a $1,000 emergency

https://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/financial-security-0118/

quote:

Most Americans don’t have enough savings to cover a $1K emergency

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2016/01/06/63-of-americans-dont-have-enough-savings-to-cover-a-500-emergency/

quote:

63% Of Americans Don't Have Enough Savings To Cover A $500 Emergency

https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=617264314

quote:

Last year, roughly 4 out of 10 American adults could not have paid for a $400 expense with their cash savings. And of course savings is not the only option for getting your hands on money if you need it. There are other ways to pay for a sudden expense. You could borrow money from friends or a family member. You can sell something. You can use a credit card, then pay that down over time. But even those options aren't enough for everyone. About 11 percent of American adults simply could not come up with the $400 at all, not with family, not with credit cards - nothing - unless they used money that they were already using to pay other bills like rent.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yall have some serious crab bucket mentality ITT

FWIW I got run off a few months ago for pointing out that not everyone renting property is necessarily making money on it and was informed that my friend (mother of 2 extricating herself from abusive marriage and splitting the income with said shitheel) was a bloodsucking parasite who swims in a vault of gold.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahki...s/#394989613cf8

There. That is your enemy. Getting pissed at the people one loving rung up the ladder because they are trying to get by in the same lovely system you are is dumb and counterproductive.

poo poo: Didn't see LK's post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The rentier class are class traitors and 90% have no business being landlords in the first place, they are absolutely the enemy of the poor.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Wait, Petite Bourgeois exist? And they don't even have to be good at extracting capital to be the enemy of the proletariat?

Glad to know. Sorry for the shame incurred by being the type of person to contemplate suing folx for their disability checks.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

She works packing boxes in a loving warehouse but nah she's definitely not a member of the proletariat.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4