Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Holy poo poo how do you read and parse this out? In their effort to put out information they've put out so much that you can't even parse data from it. Like looking at a character sheet from friggin Disgaea; some stats you don't even know what they do.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That's literally the idea, yea.

They release statements and videos and piles of bullshit that make it difficult to discern what they actually said in the past.

The mind fogs, thoughts cloud, and you find yourself escaping to ~dreams~

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

$1,000/session I'm guessing

more if his ad/market team can show a significant uptick in revenue or players thanks to his effort

Are you loving kidding me?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/1098971265824706561
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/1099122224584380416
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/1098427898057445376
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/1098710750619672576

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I find it hilarious, especially when it comes to the planets, that they defend CI!G dropping all but a handful of them for release when *checks notes* Braben and his proc gen spits out billions of systems using 64 bit positioning. Then again, the original Elite was proc gen and did it well, so if anyone could do it, it would be him and his team.

Now, to give CI!G a bit of credit, you can land on any planet in the game, atmosphere or not. You can only land on atmosphere-less planets in Elite.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
This Rexilla stream is amazing. It shares a lot with the Citcon stream: he can arrange these props and scenery in this basically competent Cryengine mod, and as long as everyone just believes it looks like a real game.

And now he's baffled that someone would blow up his spaceship after his team "won" the game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

woke up this morning with a hangover and somebody paying a one month sub to rexzilla for me

what the gently caress is seriously going on lol

I roll over in bed and Chris Roberts is there.

Me: “Oh god... oh god... What did we do last night?”

Chris: (stuttering and gesticulating wildly) “Well...uhh...uhm...what didn’t we do?!”

Frantically I search for my phone, finding it under a crumpled Test Squadron shirt. I open my credit card app and there is a $10,000 charge from Cloud Imperium.

I look over at Chris, and he gives me a sheepish grin before before slinking out of the room. Halfway through the door, he turns towards me winks and says softly but with a touch of irony “Congratulations... commando”.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

bbchops posted:

This Rexilla stream is amazing. It shares a lot with the Citcon stream: he can arrange these props and scenery in this basically competent Cryengine mod, and as long as everyone just believes it looks like a real game.

And now he's baffled that someone would blow up his spaceship after his team "won" the game.

A weirdly real moment about how all gaming is role-playing. While selling the idea of becoming a space janitor.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

quote:

By curtailing frivolous and "fighting" words, the Party seeks to narrow the range of thought altogether, such that eventually, thoughtcrime will be literally impossible.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Agony Aunt posted:

Love the start of that. He thinks its important that everyone knows he has faith.

Wow, i guess the guy is a lynchpin of the community and should he ever lose faith everyone else will as well!

Or perhaps, more likely, by the time he loses faith then it will only because the project has completely failed... and i'm not even sure that would shake his faith.

Hint: It won't. Chris tried his best, technology just wasn't there yet, had more fun with SC up until now than every other game I've ever played, the awesome community alone was worth it, bla bla bla.

These same 7 guys over at the gamestar pinboard in the SC thread speculating that there will be a jump from 43% to 100% completed when 3.5 hits the "evos" as a nice surprise from CIG, discuss whether or not the shields have to be down if you tow a ship with your shiny, new space salvage truck and try to sucker in a poor soul that made the mistake setting foot in "their" thread. Believe me, Chris could laugh at them, say "Thanks for all the money, I really enjoy my new Ferrari. Have to go now, my plane to the bahamas is waiting, enjoy SC you dumb fucks" and they would still love it.
Really don't know what is up with those people, can't even think of something similar. A guy I knew a few years back came to mind, he collected guitars but couldn't play and payed insane amounts of money for some vintage stuff... but well, he has nice guitars now and could probably sell them to get even or make a bit of profit when some of these raise in value over the years, so that doesn't compare. The crap people bought from CIG is and will be worth just... nothing. Literally burnt money for Chris to play movie/game producer.

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 23, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

Holy poo poo how do you read and parse this out? In their effort to put out information they've put out so much that you can't even parse data from it. Like looking at a character sheet from friggin Disgaea; some stats you don't even know what they do.

And nowhere in there do I see the milestone of making a good game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

I commented that SC is already far beyond ARMA, Planetside and Battlefield, then Rex reflexively agrees with me but then struggles for several minutes to justify why.

https://clips.twitch.tv/WrongSteamyStapleRedCoat

I couldn't capture all of it through Twitch's stupid clip system, but at one point he started stuttering and was like "yeah like Star Citizen has like way more elements of a game than those games."

I can't hear this stuff but this sounds very funny.

I think you may have uncovered a fun new way to mess around with CIG guys. Getting them to talk about how awesome the game is and then somehow also justify it. It's easy to say "oh this so so much better than X!" But the follow up "because..." is the best part they need to struggle with. :allears:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Some time ago:

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

bbchops posted:

A weirdly real moment about how all gaming is role-playing. While selling the idea of becoming a space janitor.

And now Rex has died, but of course this isn't a real game so there's no spectator mode. And his game crashed. And his new ship got stolen. loving priceless.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

bbchops posted:

And now Rex has died, but of course this isn't a real game so there's no spectator mode. And his game crashed. And his new ship got stolen. loving priceless.

Meanwhile his team have "won" and he immediately instructs everyone to drop to the main menu. Intriguing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

iron buns posted:

At the beginning of the year, 3.5 was 21% done and SQ42 Q1 was 29% done.

CI!G has worked on them for 6 weeks full time, and they're now 48% and 50% done, respectively.

At their current average velocity, they need at least 12 more weeks for 3.5 and 14 more weeks for SQ42 Q1 if they do not change the scope.

Or put another way, they're going to have to postpone about 2/3 of the currently unfinished tasks.

:lol:

This may come as something of a surprise to you, but CIGs progress is not measured by actual content. If a feature isn't going to make 3.x they just cut that feature and release it as 3.x anyway.

This may be fine except sometimes that feature is sometimes never heard from again, or is somehow implied "it's been completed" and now they're making the 2 version of it somehow and that 2 version is even better and bigger than the 1 version nobody ever saw.

This is the CIG way. :allears:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

SomethingJones posted:

This is a good point. By what metric do you measure the success/failure of any of this?

New accounts? More ship sales?

If it's a branding exercise to 'change the narrative', who exactly are they changing it for? Whales who watch Twitch streams and read Polygon? Reddit posters?

Edits of these streams were posted on Reddit and Fdev and I assume also Spectrum months ago. And then forgotten about by the next day.

CIG's youtube account gets the same average views it did 3 years ago. They pull in the same money each month as 3 years ago.

I don't see the value in it for them.

It isn't a fun game and none of it works, any kid out there even dabbling in a bit of Unity who has a look at it is probably going to laugh, then vomit.

So what will it really achieve?

It will make it less likely for the new investors to pull their money out when they see what a shitshow they burned their cash for. If the new investors invoke any rights at all regarding immediate return of their capital, it's game over for CI that very moment. The guys who fronted Chris this cash are obviously not too bright - they gave Chris Roberts money. So it's clearly easy to trick them with a shill, no matter how obvious. If only someone were educating them behind the scenes anyway, this could all be drawing to a hilarious close.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ah, so they think CI!G gets to redefine the meaning of a word for a while industry.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

colonelwest posted:

I commented that SC is already far beyond ARMA, Planetside and Battlefield, then Rex reflexively agrees with me but then struggles for several minutes to justify why.

https://clips.twitch.tv/WrongSteamyStapleRedCoat

I couldn't capture all of it through Twitch's stupid clip system, but at one point he started stuttering and was like "yeah like Star Citizen has like way more elements of a game than those games."

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/385065991?t=04h34m38s

Here's Rex's full response to me. It's pretty funny watching him try to reconcile the idea that Star Citizen isn't a hardcore mil sim, but he's streaming hardcore mil sim bs every day, while there a dozens of better games to do it in.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 23, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bbchops posted:

Can't be true. There is no win in SC. If there was it would be pay to win. What is winning anyway?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

Agony Aunt posted:

Can't be true. There is no win in SC. If there was it would be pay to win. What is winning anyway?

Umm, it's whatever the guy with 10 starter packs to give away says it is.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Clifford won Star Citizen, at least until someone posts a screenshot showing that they spent more than his current 58K and are an even bigger rube than him.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Pro-click:

https://www.netflix.com/title/81015076

Behind The Curve - Meet the growing, worldwide community of theorists who defend the belief that the Earth is flat while living in a society that vehemently rejects it

Go watch it, it's hilarious and soooo many of the arguments, analysis and personalities in it mirror CI!G and Citizens :laffo::munch:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

reverend crabhands posted:

Is that a Brit/US thing then?

This is going back some but very early on in ED I joined a smallish player group, (Imperial Inquisition?) which was pretty chilled, but we kinda merged/co-operated with a large group Emporer's Grace(?) (my memory is bad!) so ended up sharing Teamspeak.

Turned out they were the barky order type. Me as a Brit perhaps not enjoying that sort of playstyle, and not being strictly part of their group I jump through a system they were in at which point I get focused, I identify myself on Teamspeak where I am told how I should behave what I should do and so on.

Of course I'm like well I'm not part of your group as such so no, I haven't signed up to this.

At which point some US dude Mogod or something takes me into a separate channel with one of our officers, Mogod gets very very angry like not taking his meds for the day angry, obviously not doing as he says is some sort of affront. And me and this other Brit are just laughing at the ridiculousness of it, at the end of the day we are playing for fun, not to follow orders from some jumped up Napoleon type character.

Barky shouty player groups, no not for me thanks.

But you say there's a US/Brit thing going on there?

As with all such things, its not 100% and you get differences even within regions of a country.

Barking orders isn't a US thing though. The hard sell is. Rex in day to day life probably doesn't go around shouting at people (unless he has OD's on the Red Bull). What he is doing is the hard sell.

Different cultures tend to react to things in different ways.

Here's a story for you.

Some years ago a German sales guy was selling a product. The presentation was always very well recieved in Germany. It went into lots of details regarding specification, how well it performed, etc. He made lots of sales in Germany. So, it came time to sell the product in Germany and he was assisted by a colleage from the US. So, he gets up in front of the crowd and gives his presentation. When he's finished you could hear crickets. No questions, no sales. He was dumbfoudned.

His American colleage said, look, you're not going to sell the product to us doing that. Tomorrow i'll do the presentation and show you.

Next day he gets up there and basically starts jumping around and shouting and screaming how this is the best product ever. How their lives will be worthless if they don't buy this product. How they would be mad to miss out on this deal of a lifetime. The audience loved it and he made lots of sales.

The German colleague was dumbfounded. He couldn't understand how people were willing to buy it without being given any information about how the product actually performed, without specifications, without any facts. But he understood he had to do it like that if he was going to sell to Americans, so he changed his presentation style to cater to the culture and made the sales.

As a generalization, people in the US don't care about facts when it comes to buying stuff, you have to make an emotional appeal to them, they will lap it up. You've got to sell them on the dream of what it can be, not what it is.

This is why Chris sells SC as the best thing ever, never been done before, people will live their dreams in SC! CR fell in love with the US when he was young and totally in love with the culture. He might be a Manc by birth but he's a Yank by character.

EDIT: There are some good books on the topic. Give When Cutures Collide by Michael Lewis a read. Its pretty good.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 23, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bofast posted:

I doubt Rexzilla would go over well with Swedes, either, tbh. We're probably closer to the Brits in that regard.

Cultural differences are fascinating. While we are all the same at our core, we have the same basic needs and desires, how we project those differently between cultures is really bizarre.

I once heard how in Finland they take personal space to a whole new level, beyond even what us Brits do. I heard someone say if a Fin gets on a bus they will sit at one end. When the next person gets on they will sit at the other end to be as far from the other person as possible. I laughed and then asked a Finnish friend about it and he said it was generally true.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

bbchops posted:

1600 1800 viewers on a Saturday. Out of 2100 watching Star Citizen streams. It’s possible viewbotting is boosting his numbers but still, when he’s on, he’s the show.

It will be really interesting to see where he is by summer, and whether yesteryear’s streamers stick around. If CIG is still getting sponsor rigs out to people, they presumably want them to hang in there. But I’m not sure why they’d want to if it means they have to watch CIG appoint a Johnny come lately ubershill as their leader. Especially once CitizenCon rolls around.

Scruffpuff is right, too. If Rex serves no other purpose beyond propping up the confidence of the new money investors, he’s worth every penny. Chris and Erin both are acting pretty boxed in at this point. It’s part of why we’ve been in a :lol: drought — they’re finally worried about making huge gaffes and outlandish promises. They’ve outsourced the hype train to Rex even as they’re starving their subscribers of the stuff they’re longing to see. Star Citizen will crawl along for the next year, most of its “progress” coming from new ship releases to keep the cash flow stable, while the brain trust at CIG tries to turn a CYOA space opera movie into something resembling a game.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agony Aunt posted:

Cultural differences are fascinating. While we are all the same at our core, we have the same basic needs and desires, how we project those differently between cultures is really bizarre.

I once heard how in Finland they take personal space to a whole new level, beyond even what us Brits do. I heard someone say if a Fin gets on a bus they will sit at one end. When the next person gets on they will sit at the other end to be as far from the other person as possible. I laughed and then asked a Finnish friend about it and he said it was generally true.

Here's another one i heard about, although can't find a source for it.

I heard about one culture whose religion taught them that the future was known and set and the past was uknowable and changable.

They should have been called Citizens.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder you can say something is the "best" in the US while advertising it, but the moment you claim it's better you need to be able to back it up.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol ShapCap is such an unrepentant piece of poo poo, I love it

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

G0RF posted:

It will be really interesting to see where he is by summer

There were a few moments when it looked like the facade was slipping. There was a discussion about other play styles, and how he wasn't all about PvP. Wanted to play some single player space exploration some day. Someone else in his voice chat started to drop the party line about the new gameplay opportunities coming, like medics being able to revive coming in 3.7 and attachments in 3.6. There was a brief flash when Rex realised that was he had was all he was going to get, for months and months and months.

Then he started pushing 890 Jumps again.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Lol ShapCap is such an unrepentant piece of poo poo, I love it

It's one of the requirements for having dinner with Chris Roberts, along with buying a $350 ticket. Inner circle cultist! :catholic:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

bbchops posted:

There were a few moments when it looked like the facade was slipping. There was a discussion about other play styles, and how he wasn't all about PvP. Wanted to play some single player space exploration some day. Someone else in his voice chat started to drop the party line about the new gameplay opportunities coming, like medics being able to revive coming in 3.7 and attachments in 3.6. There was a brief flash when Rex realised that was he had was all he was going to get, for months and months and months.

There's a constant tension between the fps mil-sim gameplay he's forcing through sheer persistence and willpower and what the game has been advertised and sold to be, which is a space life simulator with deep roleplaying via highly complex spaceships. But if if he engaged in that side of the game, he would just bang his head against the broken fetch missions and exhaust all of the currently available content in one stream.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

bbchops posted:

2000 watching him now. 70 watching Saurus. 55 watching Relay. (Relay, where tune stands forever still, was just dogging on Illfonic because why not?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Is he gonna get another 1,000 every wednesday? 3k? 4k? 5k?