Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The whole novel slate this year seems pretty low-key.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Tea Master and the Detective is great and I wish she wrote more stories about them. The novel category seems pretty weak, though.

e: Does Bandersnatch even count as game writing?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 20, 2019

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

The Tea Master and the Detective is great and I wish she wrote more stories about them. The novel category seems pretty weak, though.

e: Does Bandersnatch even count as game writing?

It is a FMV game, so, yes.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

anilEhilated posted:

The novel category seems pretty weak, though.
Yeah, that's what I was specifically thinking of. Thanks for pointing it out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lunsku posted:

I think I need Novik's Spinning Silver. I really enjoyed Uprooted and that might be in same spirit if I'm looking right.

It's very much in the same vein as Uprooted and I liked it more, so yeah, would recommend.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Spinning Silver is pretty much the only fantasy book on my to-read list right now. I gave it to my mom for Christmas since she and I both loved Uprooted. She just finished Spinning Silver and liked it even better than Uprooted, so I’m pretty stoked.

My mother is a woman of exceptional taste.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

It probably would be a pretty good trilogy if it only followed the protagonist, instead of following him, his friend, his ex, his other friend, a girl who likes him, the town witch, the other girl who likes him, his teacher, his friends' wife, his fencing teacher, the other other girl who likes him, and his ex's beau, and those are only the POVs with more than 20 chapters.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Statistical_analysis

This is why I still like the first two books and wish I could finish that series, and not the mess it became from book 3, and especially book 5, onwards.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ToxicFrog posted:

It's very much in the same vein as Uprooted and I liked it more, so yeah, would recommend.

sold then

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The whole novel slate this year seems pretty low-key.

I must still be buried in the previous year's reading list. I haven't heard of any of these but "The Calculating Stars".

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Lunsku posted:

I think I need Novik's Spinning Silver. I really enjoyed Uprooted and that might be in same spirit if I'm looking right.

Spinning Silver was decent but not as good as Uprooted IMO.

Edit: Regarding the nominations, I'd probably put The Calculating Stars at the top of the stack, although I haven't read The Poppy War, Blackfish City or Witchmark.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Of the ones I haven't read, Blackfish City is at the top of my list, probably because of the one guy here who was hyping it. It sounds fairly awesome.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I'd put Spinning Silver at the top - Uprooted is better IMO but Naomi Novik's writing is just so extremely my thing and this is my favourite from this year's nominations.

The Poppy War was really good. I was expecting it to be a reasonably cliched and tired story but I tore through it in a day.

The Calculating Stars is a fun, well-written alt-history. I'd recommend it but I wouldn't encourage you to rush out and buy it.

Trail of Lightning is a refreshing take on the urban fantasy/monster hunter story but the writing is just decent. I'm still keen to see where the author goes from here.

I haven't read the other two but they've crept up the list. Blackfish City sounds rad as hell.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Captain_Person posted:

The Poppy War was really good. I was expecting it to be a reasonably cliched and tired story but I tore through it in a day.

I was really excited about The Poppy War when it was first announced, I ended up giving up on it about 65% in. Felt really YA/immature to me, and the writing a little bland and lacking in depth, but twitter (especially women) seemed to love it, a lot of posts about trigger warnings and how people really connected to it about how dark it was.

I think its just because i'm a big dumb bloke and not 'getting it' rather than it being bad if i'm honest with myself.

ed balls balls man fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 22, 2019

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Some of y'all are probably wondering if you should go read A People's Future of the United States. You probably should. In addition to a killer list of authors (NK Jemisin, G Willow Wilson, Catherynne Valente, Seanan McGuire, Malka Older, Hugh Howey, Leslie Nneka Arimah, Charles Yu among others), it's really a good collection.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

Of the ones I haven't read, Blackfish City is at the top of my list, probably because of the one guy here who was hyping it. It sounds fairly awesome.
It's pretty meh, honestly. Fails to capitalize on the more interesting ideas (merging technology and Inuit myths) and the result is really bland cyberpunk. Not bad but I wouldn't call it good either.
On the other hand, it's one of the few modern cyberpunk novels that actually get the "punk" part of the genre.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I finished Foundation and had mixed but overall positive opinions of it. I liked the grand sweep of history and the stuff about a decaying empire with the periphery degenerating into warring kingdoms, and the stuff about attempting to keep technology alive was kinda neat, but the 'psycho-history' concept is kinda silly and it has that kind of elitist technocratic vibe that kinda puts me off turn of the century scifi. Given these opinions are any of the sequels worth reading or should I just go straight to Dune

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The original trilogy is good, F&E is the best one because The Mule kicks rear end. Second Foundation is neat.

The rest by Asimov are spotty and skippable unless you're invested in the Robot/Empire/Foundation universe. The prequals are meh. The ones by other authors are all no good, from what I recall.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I finished Foundation and had mixed but overall positive opinions of it. I liked the grand sweep of history and the stuff about a decaying empire with the periphery degenerating into warring kingdoms, and the stuff about attempting to keep technology alive was kinda neat, but the 'psycho-history' concept is kinda silly and it has that kind of elitist technocratic vibe that kinda puts me off turn of the century scifi. Given these opinions are any of the sequels worth reading or should I just go straight to Dune

I think it's worth continuing on. I actually found the first book the most uninteresting because the stories were just problem-solution, problem-solution. The sequels shake things up a bit and make it more interesting.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

my bony fealty posted:

The original trilogy is good, F&E is the best one because The Mule kicks rear end. Second Foundation is neat.

The rest by Asimov are spotty and skippable unless you're invested in the Robot/Empire/Foundation universe. The prequals are meh. The ones by other authors are all no good, from what I recall.

Brin's has a really cool moment at the very end, but getting there probably isn't worth slogging through the other two.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Brin is really good, no matter what genre he writes. Been reading some of Brin's short stories/novellas.
Temptation was a good novella peek back into Brin's Uplift universe, and I'm fully down for whatever/wherever/whenever the next Uplift story takes place.
Qualifier: I disavow the previous statement if Brian Herbert or KJA ever get involved in Brin's work.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Brin is really good, no matter what genre he writes. Been reading some of Brin's short stories/novellas.
Temptation was a good novella peek back into Brin's Uplift universe, and I'm fully down for whatever/wherever/whenever the next Uplift story takes place.
Qualifier: I disavow the previous statement if Brian Herbert or KJA ever get involved in Brin's work.

I'm a huge fan of Brin! I haven't yet read his latest collection, though. Do need to re-read Existence. I like his experimenting with different writing styles.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

that kind of elitist technocratic vibe that kinda puts me off turn of the century scifi.

If you really dislike that kind of thing, Asimov in general probably isn't for you. Moorcock was going too far when he implied that Asimov was one of several SF writers who were "crypto-Stalinists," but Asimov was consistently very ... anti-anti-intellectual, I guess.

Edit: But it definitely comes up more in the Foundation books, as opposed to the Robots stories where the characters are dealing with smaller-scale problems.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 22, 2019

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Popping in again to say I've tripped over a gem in my Kindle sample slush pile: The Gutter Prayer. It's historical-urban-fantasy a la Locke Lamora/Perdido Street/City of Stairs/Three Parts. Like those it's reasonably well written, with an unusual universe and a plot full of factions and schemes, but unlike those it's recently published and seemingly beneath everyone's radar still. 4.2 on Goodreads, 4.4 on Amazon, and I've just burnt through it in two successive evenings.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

coffeetable posted:

Popping in again to say I've tripped over a gem in my Kindle sample slush pile: The Gutter Prayer. It's historical-urban-fantasy a la Locke Lamora/Perdido Street/City of Stairs/Three Parts. Like those it's reasonably well written, with an unusual universe and a plot full of factions and schemes, but unlike those it's recently published and seemingly beneath everyone's radar still. 4.2 on Goodreads, 4.4 on Amazon, and I've just burnt through it in two successive evenings.

I've heard good things of this.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

If you really dislike that kind of thing, Asimov in general probably isn't for you. Moorcock was going too far when he implied that Asimov was one of several SF writers who were "crypto-Stalinists," but Asimov was consistently very ... anti-anti-intellectual, I guess.

Edit: But it definitely comes up more in the Foundation books, as opposed to the Robots stories where the characters are dealing with smaller-scale problems.

Asimov typified the phrase "miles wide, inch deep" author. Dude churned out so much stuff in so many different genres that peak productivity/cocaine-era Stephen King looked like a slacker in comparison. Don't expect deep characterization in Asimov books, Asimov didn't have time for writing that stuff.

IE, definitely remember Asimov on Shakespeare/Mathematics/Physics/Religion books, not counting Asimov's editorship of dozens of scifi collections/Hugo Award winner collections. Half suspect there is 60% complete drafts of Asimov on: Cowboys/Metaphysics/Cooking moldering in the archives of Asimov's literary estate.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Has anything come out since Traitor Baru that also has "What the gently caress" moments?

Alternately, whats a popular scifi standalone/short series atm. I've read the first 3 books in the Expanse series recently, and 3 Body Problem trilogy before that which was incredible. It may be my favorite scifi I've read.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

Okay, I'll bite on account of really liking three of the four analogy books you provide. But if it turns out to be poo poo...

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
^^ I'll be interested to hear if you don't, because to me it felt triangulated by those books.

goodness posted:

Has anything come out since Traitor Baru that also has "What the gently caress" moments?

Alternately, whats a popular scifi standalone/short series atm. I've read the first 3 books in the Expanse series recently, and 3 Body Problem trilogy before that which was incredible. It may be my favorite scifi I've read.
Sweterlitsch's The Gone World is the thing I've read recently with the most what-the-gently caress moments, but of a different sort to Baru. Ian McDonald's New Moon has shades of the Expanse and disdain for the survival of the central cast, which I think might be what you're asking after?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 23, 2019

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone read the Bobiverse books? Other than the stupid title and some occasional really cringey nerd humor, I really like the concept and like the first book so far. Do they stay decent?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone read the Bobiverse books? Other than the stupid title and some occasional really cringey nerd humor, I really like the concept and like the first book so far. Do they stay decent?

Yeah, they're pretty much what it says on the tin. Also the trilogy does not overstay its welcome.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yeah, they're pretty good.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Ehhhh bobiverse is "ok". It pays the barest lip service to the metaphysical questions raised and sidestepped what could have been interesting ideas. You're going to end it thinking it was a really shallow take on a cool idea that deserved a better writer.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 23, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

coffeetable posted:

I finished this one a few days ago. It was pretty good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Gnomon.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Blackfish City and Trail of Lightning should have been short stories not novels. Poppy War was YA garbage. What a sad Novels slate that is.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

coffeetable posted:

Just picked this up, will roast if bad.

ShutteredIn posted:

Blackfish City and Trail of Lightning should have been short stories not novels. Poppy War was YA garbage. What a sad Novels slate that is.

I'm glad it's not just me who thought this about The Poppy War.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ed balls balls man posted:

I'm glad it's not just me who thought this about The Poppy War.

It feels like Nebulas has been struck by whatever is affecting Hugo nominees these days.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Granted that the Nebula slate is pretty lackluster, are there better books being passed over? Or is the field in a rut these days?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Patrick Spens posted:

Granted that the Nebula slate is pretty lackluster, are there better books being passed over? Or is the field in a rut these days?

Maybe Gnomon, depending on whether it's actually eligible. (UK publication was late 2017, US early 2018. Hugo rules let it compete this year, not sure about Nebula rules.)

Otherwise, not sure. The Monster Baru? Red Moon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Seems we have a discussion about the disappointing nominations for major awards every year. Starting to think they should be run every 3 - 5 years instead of one. Or that there should be a biennial or quinquennial award in addition to the annual award.