Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

i have a sick rig with a gtx1080ti and i still buy most games on ps4 because i enjoy relaxed couch gaming a lot more than janitoring windows to make the latest games not crash horribly

if anything's collapsing it's the desktop pc enthusiast market after smartphones and ipads ruined everything

:rip:

Play Apex it's loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

shut up about games

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

spankmeister posted:

shut up about games

We get it, you bought Anthem and now are angry at games in general.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

*Tips plumber cap*

orange sky
May 7, 2007

spankmeister posted:

shut up about games

No

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

shut up about games

Microsoft makes games, ergo we should talk about them

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

hell yeah microsoft gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNhlOfN1irs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm not sure what it is with the first-gen direct(3d/x) games aesthetic, it has aged worse then pretty much everything, including for some reason stuff like games still targetting dos or doing cross-platform engines in the same general timeframe

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

i have a sick rig with a gtx1080ti and i still buy most games on ps4 because i enjoy relaxed couch gaming a lot more than janitoring windows to make the latest games not crash horribly

if anything's collapsing it's the desktop pc enthusiast market after smartphones and ipads ruined everything

:rip:

pc is better than ever

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

pc is better than ever

yeah, at pissing me off!!!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

nintendo shareholders assasinated Iwata before his time because number not go up as much during the wii U FYI

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lambert posted:

Sony is absurdly successful in the console market, lol @ "complete collapse" just because Microsoft has ruined their own brand.

sony as a business is floundering and is creeping ever closer to complete bankruptcy (or more likely dissolution into multiple smaller companies)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Stymie posted:

sony as a business is floundering and is creeping ever closer to complete bankruptcy (or more likely dissolution into multiple smaller companies)

That's not what you were talking about? Playstation is doing amazingly well. Also, Sony isn't "creeping ever closer to complete bankruptcy" at all, that's your weird fantasy. It's doing pretty well, actually.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lambert posted:

That's not what you were talking about? Playstation is doing amazingly well. Also, Sony isn't "creeping ever closer to complete bankruptcy" at all, that's your weird fantasy. It's doing pretty well, actually.

playstation is a sony brand, last i checked

and no, sony is not doing well, they posted multiple billion dollar losses recently which is not a sign of overall health

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Stymie posted:

playstation is a sony brand, last i checked

and no, sony is not doing well, they posted multiple billion dollar losses recently which is not a sign of overall health

No, they've been making a healthy profit for the past few years. The company is in pretty good shape. You can check for yourself: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/archive.html

Lambert fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 23, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Stymie posted:

around here we call it SaaB

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hi thread, im typing this reply on my surface pro 3, which despite not being the newest surface product, still does in fact, own.

Buy a surface and never look back

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Lambert posted:

it's more accurate to say "the playstation 4 is doing amazingly well". the playstation brand itself has struggled to grow. the industry needs to both attract new gamers and generate more revenue streams. the former is done by creating more casual and intuitive experiences, such as mobile games and motion controls. the latter (more revenue streams) is done by introducing new technologies that command a higher price.

Sony has made several attempts at using the Playstation brand on mobile, such as with the Xperia Play. while it lost it's "Playstation" brand at some point during development, it still has the Playstation controller face buttons and ran games through the "Playstation Mobile" app. the launch games had all sold as little as 100 copies one month after release, suggesting it was a huge flop. Sony's mobile division would lose billions in the following years.

their attempts to introduce new tech have also been disappointing. the PS Vita, PS Vita TV and PSVR have all been fairly short-lived experiments by Sony. Playstation Now also does not seem to be a home run. there was also an effort towards 3D gaming in the PS3 days which would have driven sales of Sony's own 3D TV's, but to little success. the Playstation Move, which bordered between casual and regular gaming, also did not become a mainstay, except to be recycled for use in PSVR.

every major console manufacturer is seeing an executive shake-up right now. it turns out that selling more or less the exact same number of consoles you did last generation is not a success story on the business side of things, despite the perceptions of gamers.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

PleasureKevin posted:

every major console manufacturer is seeing an executive shake-up right now.

wait, but microsoft isn't seeing a... oh, nice dig.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

here's a neat article about the Macs that Microsoft used to develop for the Xbox 360. apparently you can even build/buy these things and play Halo 2 on them.

Fiedler posted:

wait, but microsoft isn't seeing a... oh, nice dig.

yes they are?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

here's a neat article about the Macs that Microsoft used to develop for the Xbox 360. apparently you can even build/buy these things and play Halo 2 on them.

yes they are?

third paragraph:

the article posted:

Then, Microsoft buys many Power Mac G5 and installs a dedicated operating system on it for the devs. Before the arrival of the real console, the brand provides two variants to the developers
gently caress using "brand" like this, stopped reading right here

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChloeCondon/status/1098732324622020609?s=20

https://twitter.com/ChloeCondon/status/1099115500318076929?s=20

Lysidas posted:

gently caress using "brand" like this, stopped reading right here

English is not their native language

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

hi thread, im typing this reply on my surface pro 3, which despite not being the newest surface product, still does in fact, own.

i did and returned it because it was a piece of poo poo taht was bad at being a laptop and bad at being a tablet

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sorry about your bad unsuitable needs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

better yet, don't

they are absolute dogshit garbage. best case scenario you won't run into any of the amazingly common hardware issues and it will just be a lovely tablet and a lovely laptop that doesn't work on anything but a desk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

yes they are?

this is really cool.

thanks for posting that kevin

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm using a surface for everything it's not so bad

the latest ones have several times worse GPUs than the previous generation though, that kinda sucks

but then I don't have the latest one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they're real real bad, at everything

every generation has had showstopper reliability issues. every. single. one.

the most common thing day to day is the accessories just not working sometimes. then you unhook and reconnect them and do a little voodoo dance and maybe they work again, maybe not.

i had to gently caress with a surfacebook 2 yesterday and lo, the screen wouldn't turn on for more than a second until i held the power button down to trigger the shutdown sequence.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

infernal machines posted:

they're real real bad, at everything

every generation has had showstopper reliability issues. every. single. one.

the most common thing day to day is the accessories just not working sometimes. then you unhook and reconnect them and do a little voodoo dance and maybe they work again, maybe not.

i had to gently caress with a surfacebook 2 yesterday and lo, the screen wouldn't turn on for more than a second until i held the power button down to trigger the shutdown sequence.

yeah that happened to me once too

I did the same thing you did

I got a few bsods too, but really I don't mind too much

e:
my samsung galaxy phone crashes at about the same rate and I don't hugely mind that either

but I suppose it sucks to janitor

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 23, 2019

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Private Speech posted:

yeah that happened to me once too

I did the same thing you did

I got a few bsods too, but really I don't mind too much

e:
my samsung galaxy phone crashes at about the same rate and I don't hugely mind that either

but I suppose it sucks to janitor

just because you don't have standards doesn't mean no one else can

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

speaking of quality, remember that poster who bought the loving razer laptop and got a power cable that was physically deformed to the point it wouldn't fit? lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the keyboard going on the fritz is nearly always a piece of (magnetic, usually) crud that gets in the connector area. then when you move the keyboard around it connects and disconnects.

mine was doing this, some q tips and rubbing alcohol cleared it right up. works great.

I have the surface go at work and it just works all the time, I never have to mess with it, and that’s even with a USB C dock connected to it.

I will say I don’t like the Surface non-pros that charge over micro usb because micro usb is inherently poo poo and will get loose after a while. the tablets themselves are fine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, the docks fail constantly too

also, randomly, the displayport connectors

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the surface 2 had tons of issues with sd cards randomly disappearing or getting corrupted, but that's because they didn't make the sd card slot the right thickness

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the funniest thing is that MS people appear to all be using these things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the surface 3 had firmware so bad it destroyed the batteries to the extent that they offered a recall and extended the warranty on all of them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

the funniest thing is that MS people appear to all be using these things

dogfooding, but with actual dog food

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

whenever someone wants one i ask them what they're going to use the tablet for. invariably the answer is "nothing" and they just want a thin and light laptop, and it turns out there are tons of those and they aren't complete poo poo and also they don't cost $2500+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dogfooding, but with actual dog food

working with their azure/linux guys in person is always fun

so many conversations like:
me: so i googled- er binged
azure engineer: please don't