Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

It's one of my favorites too but I'm pretty sure that's a good 10-15 hours into the game to get to the point you're describing.

Trails is a slowly paced series, especially that first game, and there's not really any way around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

It's not a long game. I don't remember how far it is but it should be just a few hours.

But also you've played an hour so far, is it really THAT boring to you already? I can't really relate to giving up on something that quickly so idk

Well my original post was mostly along the lines of "I didn't enjoy the first hour at all and don't see any indication of it changing to something I'd like more, are looks deceiving in this case" and I got a whole lot of "no that first hour is fairly indicative" in reply so that's where my viewpoint is right now. I'm not necessarily opposed to being convinced by a dissenting opinion but I was just thinking of the people who'd recommend a TV show with "it gets way better in the second season" like I don't got time to watch 12 hours of bad to get to the good.

That said ultimately the boring part wasn't the lack of big stakes--hell, I'm an atelier fan-- it's that (and sorry for saying this about your favorite game) the writing seems devoid of charm (for my tastes at least) and the actual gameplay is simplistic enough it isn't going to carry the story. What I'd ultimately be looking for to turn the game around is either an interesting story that can paper over the mediocre character interactions, or to be told that the beginning is just growing pains and it gets better (though there's a threshold for how long I'd be willing to put up with the bad to get to the good). If you liked Joshua and Estelle's character interactions from word go our tastes in that respect probably differ by enough that I'm not confident that the part where you thought it turned really good will match for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think at the very least the story gets more charm as it goes along as more of the cast is introduced, it's a series built around world building and so far you've only seen a small slice of said world. By the end of 3rd you have a total of 16 playable characters you can choose from and pretty much all of them are pretty memorable (I'll give Zin a pass for now hoping he gets more to work with in a potential Calvard series I guess).

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I would say at least stick it out until you have the 3rd and 4th party members, if you're willing to. the supporting cast is mostly great, whereas Joshua is one of the dullest major chars in the series.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pokemon Let’s Go has managed to capture my heart! Though I’m challenge-moding the hell out of it, by doing stuff like not letting myself use Pokémon centres, avoiding using the terribly overpowered starter Eevee, and doing the whole Nuzlocke one-Pokemon-per-location thing. I think what makes this game work is how it lets you easily avoid random encounters: no more Zubats flying in your hair every four steps!

As I understand it, Dragon Quest XI does things this way too. If so, I’m actually kinda excited to play it now

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Chapter 2 is at least 10 hours of playtime, which is also where I quit when I reached it.

It's a charming game, but the molasses slow combat doesn't do it any favors.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fortunately the PC versions have speed up options for combat.

I played the PSP versions though....

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The prologue writing felt kinda slow in the moment (though I'd like it better on a replay), but the character dynamics get better once Estelle has more people to bounce off of imo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i remember tits having good npcs whose dialogue changes like twenty times but yeah practically everyone you meet is more interesting than joshua

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Looper posted:

i remember tits having good npcs whose dialogue changes like twenty times but yeah practically everyone you meet is more interesting than joshua

Mirano rules

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why do people keep talking around the fact that it’s called Tits

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Because it's called Trails in the Sky

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Because all the jokes about that have been made years ago

the humor well has run dry

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

It's just a fun acronym

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Jay Rust posted:

ah, like the boobs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

ah, like the boobs

I thought we were talking about birds

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Andrast posted:

I thought we were talking about birds

hitchcock was an rear end in a top hat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snooze Cruise posted:

hitchcock was an rear end in a top hat
Every time I think about watching the Birds I just load this instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi8Xoc4EInE

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Finished Iconoclasts, which is somehow the first game I beat in 2019? Halfway through the game I said I really liked the games mix of dark tone of lighthearted writing but this does become tiresome near the end as the game drops like 6 different climaxes on you. Instead of steadily building to a crescendo, every area beyond City One is a series of "big event -> denouement -> bigger event -> a moment of calm -> THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER -> take a breather -> NO THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING"

Aside from one area that's kind of notorious where you're just marching through invincible enemies, I loved the moment to moment gameplay all the way through. Definitely recommend if Cave Story was your jam.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/HatokTalk/status/1099397494390157312

When your spirit is summoned to another crossover.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Best game acronym is poops

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/HatokTalk/status/1099397494390157312

When your spirit is summoned to another crossover.

https://twitter.com/sbrookbrooks/status/1099167138080673793

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

hey it's that dog

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when i was a kid i got lost wandering around the open worlds in sly 2 forever

now i'm realizing they're actually kind of small but also i appreciate that because that means traversing them is pretty fun and they have lots of unique landmarks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

when i was a kid i got lost wandering around the open worlds in sly 2 forever

now i'm realizing they're actually kind of small but also i appreciate that because that means traversing them is pretty fun and they have lots of unique landmarks

The only one I'm not real big on is the Contessa;s first chapter because that whole area is a pain to navigate on purpose.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've made it to Greece in Tomb Raider Anniversary and so far this game consists of 75% trial and error platforming and 25% obtuse puzzles

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol never play the original version of Tomb Raider

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tag yourself, feeling like a Fiddlesworth right now because T-spins are difficult

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm Mr T-Spin's STD ama

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
King Crimson’s Grim Grotto

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
This isn't related to anything anyone is talking about but can I just say that it's loving bullshit that we still almost never get loading screen minigames. Like, at the dawn of long loading times in games, Namco managed to get the patent on having games during the loading screen. This meant no one else was even allowed to put a game in the loading screen and Namco themselves only used it once in awhile. For years this was pretty much the assumed reason for dull as loading screens in almost all games. Then the patent expired and now literally any game that wants to have a game in the loading screen may do so and pretty much every video game maker went "eh, that's okay". Like I'm watching Jim Sterling bitch about load times in Anthem and the loading screens are just artwork, a few moving shapes and mostly a black screen and there's just no excuse. Like, in general, maybe get your loading in check but if you can't, maybe throw a dumb little minigame in there. I know that's extra work but I'm also not even asking for something complex...just something ANYTHING.

It just blows my mind that I still never see it. Happy Birthday got put in public domain and I hear that poo poo all the time in movies and TV now. I think it's literally been four years since the loading screen patent expired and I think I've seen maybe one game since then with a loading minigame.

Like not even Nintendo bothers and if anyone would be willing to put in that little bit of extra pointless fun, it's them. It's just the industry knows it's a QoL thing that they don't need to address because they got people used to not having it so no one is in a rush to change the norm.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Put Lara Croft/Hitman GO in the Tomb Raider/Hitman loading screens imo

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

everyone just pulls their phone out for loading screens now

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

lets hang out posted:

everyone just pulls their phone out for loading screens now

well i wouldn't have to if they were at least a little engaging!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

if they're going to spend additional resources on loading screens, i'd rather they spend it on decreasing them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've had an SSD on my PC since 2013 and I don't think I've encounted a single loadscreen longer than 15sec since then.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Phantasium posted:

if they're going to spend additional resources on loading screens, i'd rather they spend it on decreasing them

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

It doesn't need to be an either/or thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Before Anthem came along the worst offender of 2019 in the loading department was Jump Force, a Namco Bandai published game and you're right, they seem to have forgotten that they ever did those mini-game loading screens cuz those ain't in their game at all.