Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

craig588 posted:

Most of the Nvidia overclocking tools are the same with a different skin, pick the one you like the look of the most. EVGAs and Asus are the same, I don't think the different one has been updated in a long time, I can't even remember its name. All of the major brand tools are the same.

MSI Afterburner is still being updated, it also comes with RTSS which can be useful for certain applications (eg. framerate caps with minimal input lag):
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I have used EVGA and MSI tool and prefer MSI personally. Ultimately for the average overtuner it's probs irrelevant

I do like the airplane theme for MSI tho

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
MSI Afterburner is the same as the others. None of them are bad, they just look different.
(I also use Afterburner because I like how it still looks like the old tool from like 2006)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I can get a 1660 for 329 and a 2060 for 379. I'm at 1080p but looking to upgrade to 1080p 120hz. I should just get the 2060 shouldn't I unless the two are pretty different?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

RBX posted:

I can get a 1660 for 329 and a 2060 for 379. I'm at 1080p but looking to upgrade to 1080p 120hz. I should just get the 2060 shouldn't I unless the two are pretty different?

At those prices, 2060 no doubt, faster and better perf/$.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Man Can't Stop Justifying GPU's Price Point

Go have fun with your card, bruh. All I asked was that you let us make our value judgments in a thread that treading too far out of the price:performance sweet spot is unnecessary for the vast majority of scenarios. And you couldn't even let us do that.

I mean I didn't even want to get into it with you about game engines, because you brought up a big point why I won't buy the new card: In this lootbox/microtransaction industry of battle royale clones and visual faff over gameplay, why would I want to buy a card to enjoy a game made after 2017 when I don't even like where the industry has gone.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 23, 2019

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mr.PayDay posted:

The 2080Ti is worth every loving expensive Dollar/Euro for 1440p Gaming

My 970 is worth every dollar for 4k gaming. I may not get 1000fps like you do, and I definitely do not crank the settings to the max, but they are perfectly playable and enjoyable.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 23, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I should have bought a 1080 for 1080p gaming, the numbers are the same so that means it’s right :v:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The only acceptable GPU for a woke communist is one they stole from work. The rest of you are just consumerist pigs.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Eh, frame rates.

Go back and play Perfect Dark on the N64 in widescreen hi-res mode.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Craptacular! posted:

why would I want to buy a card to enjoy a game made after 2017 when I don't even like where the industry has gone.

Idk you're in the gpu thread man

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I'm lost with all these GPU releases. Currently have a 980Ti and gaming at 1440p on a 27" G-Sync monitor. My CPU is an i5 6600k. Are any of the new cards a significant upgrade over the 980Ti (looking for best bang for the buck upgrade).

What are my upgrade path options?

Secx fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 23, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Secx posted:

I'm lost with all these GPU releases. Currently have a 980Ti and gaming at 1440p on a 27" G-Sync monitor. My CPU is an i5 2500k. Are any of the new cards a significant upgrade over the 980Ti (looking for best bang for the buck upgrade).

If you're near a Frys, go get the $550 MSI 2080 via the 20% off coupon. That's the sweet spot for price/performance, no doubt.

Volguus posted:

My 970 is worth every dollar for 4k gaming. I may not get 1000fps like you do, and I definitely do not crank the settings to the max, but they are perfectly playable and enjoyable.

You game at 4K on a 970? What the hell? Please elaborate. What do you even play, and at what settings? I have owned a 970 before so I am well aware of how poo poo it is even at 1440p let alone native 4K.

Craptacular! posted:

I mean I didn't even want to get into it with you about game engines, because you brought up a big point why I won't buy the new card: In this lootbox/microtransaction industry of battle royale clones and visual faff over gameplay, why would I want to buy a card to enjoy a game made after 2017 when I don't even like where the industry has gone.

No offense, do you man, but why are you even in this thread if you don't like the industry as a whole

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Secx posted:

I'm lost with all these GPU releases. Currently have a 980Ti and gaming at 1440p on a 27" G-Sync monitor. My CPU is an i5 2500k. Are any of the new cards a significant upgrade over the 980Ti (looking for best bang for the buck upgrade).

Do you have that CPU overclocked? You will be severely bottle-necked otherwise.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Taima posted:

You game at 4K on a 970? What the hell? Please elaborate. What do you even play, and at what settings? I have owned a 970 before so I am well aware of how poo poo it is even at 1440p let alone native 4K.

I'm not that guy - but a 970 can do 4K gaming at 30fps on medium settings in moderately taxing games. A fair number of people are satisfied with 4K30 PC gaming on a budget. (here's an example of the 970 running Destiny 2 at 4K30 without drops)

I think the 3.5GB memory limitation will hinder 970 4K gaming a LOT more than raw performance, at higher resolutions most games have seriously high memory requirements

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm not that guy - but a 970 can do 4K gaming at 30fps on medium settings in moderately taxing games. A fair number of people are satisfied with 4K30 PC gaming on a budget. (here's an example of the 970 running Destiny 2 at 4K30 without drops)

I think the 3.5GB memory limitation will hinder 970 4K gaming a LOT more than raw performance, at higher resolutions most games have seriously high memory requirements

30fps in itself is considered a drop in fps for anyone accustomed to even steady 60fps I think (not to be elitist). Unless I'm playing chess I'd be playing games at 1440p 60+fps on a 4k monitor instead of trying to chase 4k at console framerates.

Things like league of legends probably play fine at 4k on a 970. Or into the breach, or stuff like hollow knight, FTL, Slay the Spire, etc. Lots of great content doesn't need high fps but a first person shooter... I mean it's FPS it's in the name bros.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Taima posted:

No offense, do you man, but why are you even in this thread if you don't like the industry as a whole

I'm not saying i hate video games, I'm saying that the AAA big-budget gaming industry is chasing people who buy micro-transactions like drugs right now. The discussion was about why high-end Turing is totally worth it right now, and part of the argument was that Pascal etc won't last you forever as games evolve. I think the most recent game I play a lot of is Destiny, and that was late 2017 and I'm running it acceptably. Everything EA and Activision are doing right now (Anthem, Battlefield, Blops4, etc) are pretty-looking turds, so whether Pascal chokes on them is sort of irrelevant. There will be even better cards once this current trend of building a lootbox-laden battle royale (with zombies!) and firing the dev team to inprove profits ends.

Basically, I'll probably buy a new graphics card shortly after Bobby Kotick is run out of Activision and similar ghouls are evicted. Because then there will be good games to play on them. Until then there's, what, the occasional open world Ubi game and indies? I don't need Turing for League and Overwatch.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 23, 2019

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Taima posted:

I play Diablo 3, Starcraf 2 and Cities Skylines those are on high settings. I used to play WoW as well, on very high settings, and raids and Orgrimmar were perfectly fine. I played the other day Battlefield 5 since i got it for free, no idea what settings. I only payed for 40 minutes or so since it's a boring lovely game, but it played fine and looked fine as far as I could tell. I just remembered now that I got Anthem as well for free so going to try that to see what's that all about for 30-ish minutes.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Volguus posted:

I play Diablo 3, Starcraf 2 and Cities Skylines those are on high settings. I used to play WoW as well, on very high settings, and raids and Orgrimmar were perfectly fine. I played the other day Battlefield 5 since i got it for free, no idea what settings. I only payed for 40 minutes or so since it's a boring lovely game, but it played fine and looked fine as far as I could tell. I just remembered now that I got Anthem as well for free so going to try that to see what's that all about for 30-ish minutes.

Oh ok. That makes sense if you're playing older games. Kind weird that you don't know what settings you used on newer games, but that's ok. I'm sure it's nothing spectacular. And ultimately, the most important thing is that it looks good to YOU, even if it's low settings.

eames
May 9, 2009

Secx posted:

The GTX980ti for the most part performs like the old GTX1070 or the newly released GTX1660ti. Anything faster than that will be an upgrade, but you'll probably want to upgrade the 4C/4T CPU first because a faster GPU wouldn't make much sense at that resolution.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Taima posted:

Oh ok. That makes sense if you're playing older games. Kind weird that you don't know what settings you used on newer games, but that's ok. I'm sure it's nothing spectacular. And ultimately, the most important thing is that it looks good to YOU, even if it's low settings.

Older games? They're less than 10 years old for crying out loud. They can take down a modern machine if you put your mind to it. And on the new game ... i just didn't look because when playing for 40-ish minutes the video settings are the least important thing. If i would have liked the game then sure, settings would have been a thing I would play with to try to make it either better looking or faster or tweak it.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Craptacular! posted:

Go have fun with your card, bruh. All I asked was that you let us make our value judgments in a thread that treading too far out of the price:performance sweet spot is unnecessary for the vast majority of scenarios. And you couldn't even let us do that.

So “our value judgements” means 1.) I should tune into the price and “value” whining and 2,) enthusiasm for graphics is wrong in a Graphic Cards thread as it interferes with the current mood of people?
And to that 970 GPU guy: Yeah that’s okay, I do care about getting more than 30 fps and max settings in new games. Oh wait, I am defending myself again, right ? :kiddo:

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 23, 2019

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus

eames posted:

The GTX980ti for the most part performs like the old GTX1070 or the newly released GTX1660ti. Anything faster than that will be an upgrade, but you'll probably want to upgrade the 4C/4T CPU first because a faster GPU wouldn't make much sense at that resolution.

I'm dumb. It's actually an i5 6600k.

The i5 2500k was my previous build

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Taima posted:

If you're near a Frys, go get the $550 MSI 2080 via the 20% off coupon. That's the sweet spot for price/performance, no doubt.

Do you have more info on that Fry's coupon? I just signed up for their promo e-mails, hoping to do this exact same route.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I went from a 980 Ti to a 2080 Ti and I'm glad I did but I don't know if I'd say it was worth $1239.

Well, AMD sells a card with 2 year old performance that is slower as the 2080 and even the 1080Ti in several games without RT features for 850 Euro in Germany vs 1150 for 2080Ti that is faster and got RTX on stuff.
Thanks to AMD the 2000 series of Nvidia just got better “value”. The irony of that Radeon VII fiasco is fantastic.

Edit: The 2080 costs 730+ Euro in Germany.
“Go to hell Nvidia, AMD are the value champions”.
That ship has sailed.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 23, 2019

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Crazy how a new generation of Nvidia cards, and a new Radeon offering from AMD has made the GPU sector even more stagnant than before. I don't recall a new generation stubbornly not moving things along like this. When the 8800GT landed, it made a splash. When the 6950 landed, it made a splash. When the 970 landed, it made a splash. Now we get $1200 cards that cost literally twice as much as the previous flagship for only 20-30% more performance at 4k

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is probably a really niche bug, but with a 1080 and the latest drivers I get a 1 pixel wide line of corruption in fonts in the center of the screen if I'm using multiple monitors and turn off the main one than later turn it on again. Everything else is fine, just text gets a specific corruption. Main monitor is Display Port, side monitors are HDMI.

Edit: The heck? Fonts in pictures are corrupted, but besides the text pictures are fine. I gotta boot up a game with text and see how that looks.

Edit 2: Text in games also has the 1 pixel wide corruption. Really strange bug.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 23, 2019

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If I've got a card that's significantly louder than it is supposed to be (based on reviews), is there anything to tinker with or is it just an RMA thing?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

Do you have more info on that Fry's coupon? I just signed up for their promo e-mails, hoping to do this exact same route.

Sure. Frys has been issuing 20% off your entire cart coupons, with restrictions- usually the first 40 customers who ask for it specifically, that day. If you signed up for the emails, you'll get informed when that happens. Sometimes it's every weekday, sometimes it's on the weekend.

Then you're going to want the MSI 2080 that is already on sale. The Ventus version. That will be on sale, which will stack, for $550. That's by far the best deal you'll find.

Other than that, good luck, but as long as you hit Frys around when it opens you are guaranteed a coupon.

Volguus posted:

Older games? They're less than 10 years old for crying out loud.

Ok perfect, we found our difference of opinion.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Crazy how a new generation of Nvidia cards, and a new Radeon offering from AMD has made the GPU sector even more stagnant than before. I don't recall a new generation stubbornly not moving things along like this. When the 8800GT landed, it made a splash. When the 6950 landed, it made a splash. When the 970 landed, it made a splash. Now we get $1200 cards that cost literally twice as much as the previous flagship for only 20-30% more performance at 4k

There are two root causes for the current market pricing issues. Firstly, the Bitcoin mining craze showed Nvidia that high-end GPU demand was less elastic than expected (in other words more people would be willing to pay higher prices for the same level of product than anyone expected).

Secondly, AMD's GPU division is pretty much imploding like their CPU division did during the Bulldozer era. GCN was clearly at the end of its life when the Radeon RX 400 series launched in 2016, however they didn't (and still don't) have anything ready to replace it. That means AMD is only effective competition for Nvidia in the sub-$200 mid-low end of the GPU market where GCN cards can still keep up. (The Vega-derived cards, aside from the integrated graphics, have never been more than marginally competitive, and usually only then for short periods when AMD ramps up the rebates/discounts to move stock.)

Nvidia saw these market conditions as giving them an opportunity to experiment with new technologies, namely dedicated hardware for ray-tracing and machine learning "tensor" calculations. This new dedicated hardware would require lots of silicon area, meaning costs would go up, but gamers wouldn't exactly have a choice and seemingly didn't mind paying extra anyways (though, if Nvidia's earning reports are anything to go by, they actually do seem to mind a bit more than Nvidia was expecting).

Hopefully things will be better in 2 years when Nvidia should be on 10nm/7nm (bringing costs down), AMD should be ready to launch a new GPU architecture, and Intel should also be stepping into the dedicated GPU market.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 23, 2019

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

VelociBacon posted:

30fps in itself is considered a drop in fps for anyone accustomed to even steady 60fps I think (not to be elitist). Unless I'm playing chess I'd be playing games at 1440p 60+fps on a 4k monitor instead of trying to chase 4k at console framerates.

But obviously, 100+ million people are fine with 'console framerates'. Playing on a gamepad makes a big difference as well with its linear acceleration, a mouse is horrific at 30fps but on a gamepad it's acceptable. Of course 60fps is far better, it always is if it's a choice between that and 30fps, but on a 4K TV 1080p really looks pretty drat bad. If you've got a budget card and are used to console control methods and framerates, "4k" (quotes indicating a slightly less res setting than purely native) is indeed possible, especially if you use Rivatuner/Nvidia CP to lock it at a steady 30 with good framepacing. Digital Foundry did a series on it. Online against other PC players at that res/fps, hell no - but you're probably not playing online if you're using a gamepad regardless of the fps.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The silver lining is that while AMD might be imploding, Nvidia can't assume that they won't show up with something competitive in the next generation.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Taima posted:

Sure. Frys has been issuing 20% off your entire cart coupons, with restrictions- usually the first 40 customers who ask for it specifically, that day. If you signed up for the emails, you'll get informed when that happens. Sometimes it's every weekday, sometimes it's on the weekend.

I just signed up for their promos as well, you can find the coupon Taima's talking about by clicking the "Click here to shop all weekly deals" link towards the bottom of the welcome email.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Alchenar posted:

The silver lining is that while AMD might be imploding, Nvidia can't assume that they won't show up with something competitive in the next generation.
The bad news is the Radeon VII (and really the MI50) is GCN absolutely maxed out. Its got the fastest, most expensive memory in its biggest possible configuration, its on the fastest most expensive process, and they are running it at 300W. This is everything AMD has in the bag, and its sub 2080 performance. Knowing what we do about Navi right now, that its a GCN derivative and likely a mid range part with 40CUs, the performance ball park is pretty well known. The only question is price.

Nvidia, in the meantime, has launched no less than 5 separate new designs since the last time AMD launched an actual new part (I'm not counting the Vega die shrink and the RX 590's minor process change because the arent new designs). Those parts are using cheaper ram and package designs, are on a larger cheaper process that can be shrunk if needed, and have power headroom.

Even if Navi launches with ~Vega 56 performance for $200 (which is my optimistic guess), Nvidia barely has to flinch to counter that completely with a little price cut or two and maybe a higher TDP TU116. Barring a big, Zen level surprise from AMD, or Intel's design actually spooking Nvidia into action, they really don't have much motivation to do us any favors.

But thats just my pessimistic take.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Taima posted:

Listerine posted:

I just signed up for their promos as well, you can find the coupon Taima's talking about by clicking the "Click here to shop all weekly deals" link towards the bottom of the welcome email.

Thank you guys. One more question, so I get that you go in-store and use the code in order to hopefully get the actual 20 percent off coupon, but is that coupon then only valid for items in-store? It looks like the MSI 2080 is sold out at my local Fry's but still available online.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mr.PayDay posted:

So “our value judgements” means 1.) I should tune into the price and “value” whining and 2,) enthusiasm for graphics is wrong in a Graphic Cards thread as it interferes with the current mood of people?
And to that 970 GPU guy: Yeah that’s okay, I do care about getting more than 30 fps and max settings in new games. Oh wait, I am defending myself again, right ? :kiddo:
Nobody in this thread has ever denied that the 2080ti is pretty much the very best (saying “pretty much” because the Titan came out only weeks later), but nobody wants to support $1,000+ on GPUs. Nobody wants to pay that much in the future. Going back years and years to the GeForce2 or even earlier there’s been a sort of an informally understood acknowledgement of how much one should spend on 3D acceleration, and Nvidia has stepped over that line with an offering that’s only a bit better than the last time and time again. (My 6800 GT was a smidgen below the Ultra for ~$100 less).

It’s weird to see :capitalism: in an SA thread like this because the rest of the forum is going hard Marxist very fast, but you’ve sort of implied you’re from a country where living wages and social welfare aren’t curse words so maybe you can’t understand why an American gets riled up at a person who bought the most expensive disposable tech available going on about it being “worth every penny.” It’s not even like I am saying you’re wrong to enjoy it, I’m saying don’t try to fight the crowd on the conventional wisdom of how much is too much.

I’ve said my peace, I’m done with the issue so we don’t both get blocked by everyone.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So I installed my new 2060, and I'm having a bit of an issue where the core load is just not going over 45-50%. I fired up Hitman (2016), and I'm getting 45 fps on open areas, and the card is just there at half core load % (monitoring from HWinfo). I went into Nvidia control panel and set the power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" and windows' power management to High Performance and I'm getting the same.

What gives? :(

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Are you maxing out a CPU core and binding there? DX12 issue? Double check that your RAM is properly configured?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

K8.0 posted:

Are you maxing out a CPU core and binding there? DX12 issue? Double check that your RAM is properly configured?

Sorry, not sure what binding means in this context. CPU usage is high, yeah, Hitman was reading 87% or so. Which RAM should I check, system or card? And how do I check that? =/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

So I installed my new 2060, and I'm having a bit of an issue where the core load is just not going over 45-50%. I fired up Hitman (2016), and I'm getting 45 fps on open areas, and the card is just there at half core load % (monitoring from HWinfo). I went into Nvidia control panel and set the power management mode to "prefer maximum performance" and windows' power management to High Performance and I'm getting the same.

What gives? :(

I wouldn't change that windows mode because IIRC it can prevent your CPU from ever throttling.