Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It bugs me that J-Novel Club refer to Potions as "Potion Loli" in their release list.

Their translations seem to be solid, going by Bakarina vol 1 at least.

Yeah, I get the feeling they pay a bit more attention to the fan community and pick up the occasional odd thing from them. In the actual product I've been pretty happy with their translations. (Bakarina, Welcome to Japan Ms. Elf, Cooking With Wild Game, Walking My Second Path In Life and, even though I dropped it due to the father-adopted daughter elements, I thought the translation for If It's for My Daughter, I'd Defeat a Demon Lord was good. Still haven't read Potions...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Onean posted:

Then there's the MC from Potions, who is, uh, well there's a reason "war crimes" was mentioned by two different people in this thread when she's come up.

The wanted poster citing the specific articles of the geneva convention that potion girl violated is very funny in a “oh those are literal war crimes” way

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Onean posted:

Double post, but my other post is long and I hadn't seen yours.

FUNA's MCs are more practical than you'd expect teenage girls in these stories to be, which is kind of refreshing? Even Mile, from Average Abilities, who is the most airheaded and innocent of the three has absolutely no problems with dispatching bad people. Though, the dispatching in her respect is usually capturing them and turning them over to the authorities for a reward, being fully aware their punishment is (likely short) life servitude as a laborer in dangerous conditions, often mining.

Then there's the MC from Potions, who is, uh, well there's a reason "war crimes" was mentioned by two different people in this thread when she's come up.

on a scale of 1 to Tanya, how much war crimes are we talking here

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

So I read the first few chapters of Wiseman and it turns out it's super skeevy! The titular Wiseman looks like a teenager because he fell asleep after using a cosmetic item to design his "ideal girl." Later, his new body is described as looking to be "between eleven and twelve." Pass.

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 23, 2019

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I know this is the good isekai thread, but people were reccing Wiseman here earlier so I thought I'd give a heads-up to anyone on the fence about reading it

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I don't know how far Tanya goes, but here's that Wanted poster that was made as a joke:

For a little more explanation:
She uses nitroglycerin and napalm to ambush and destroy an invading army's supply convoy. Then, she evacuates villages along the army's route and poisons their water wells and any extra food lying around with a poison that causes severe diarrhea and vomiting. (Minor plus, the poison is temporary and will leave the wells pure after about 10 days.)

She also kills three soldiers for beating up the orphans she's caring for, one by filling his lungs with water, another by filling his stomach with acid and a third with total paralysis.

Edit:

Elephant Parade posted:

So I read the first few chapters of Wiseman and it turns out it's super skeevy! The titular Wiseman looks like a teenager because he fell asleep after using a cosmetic item to design his "ideal girl." Later, his new body is described as looking to be "between eleven and twelve." Pass.

Yeah, but that's pretty much dropped immediately in the manga (which I think is better about a lot of things) though and the character doesn't do anything about it afterwards so I don't mind it as much there. I gave up on the LN pretty quickly because it carries it longer and is really skeevy in general.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 23, 2019

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Captain Invictus posted:

MC's a bit of a psychopath I feel like, though.

Onean posted:

Double post, but my other post is long and I hadn't seen yours.

FUNA's MCs are more practical than you'd expect teenage girls in these stories to be, which is kind of refreshing? Even Mile, from Average Abilities, who is the most airheaded and innocent of the three has absolutely no problems with dispatching bad people. Though, the dispatching in her respect is usually capturing them and turning them over to the authorities for a reward, being fully aware their punishment is (likely short) life servitude as a laborer in dangerous conditions, often mining.

LN spoilers, feel free to avoid but I couldn't resist: You have no idea. She eventually realizes she can cure cancer by teleporting people and leaving the tumor behind and she bribes everyone that finds out to secrecy because she doesn't want millions of people begging her to cure them. She also pretty shamelessly lies and cons people for her own benefit, though that's pretty much a FUNA MC thing. So yeah, though it never drove me off or became outright villainous, she's just a bit ruthlessly pragmatic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bremen posted:

LN spoilers, feel free to avoid but I couldn't resist: You have no idea. She eventually realizes she can cure cancer by teleporting people and leaving the tumor behind and she bribes everyone that finds out to secrecy because she doesn't want millions of people begging her to cure them. She also pretty shamelessly lies and cons people for her own benefit, though that's pretty much a FUNA MC thing. So yeah, though it never drove me off or became outright villainous, she's just a bit ruthlessly pragmatic.

Wouldn't this method not be reliable at all for any sort of advanced cancer due to the cancer metasticizing? There's a reason why you can't reliably just cure all cancers by cutting out the tumor in real life.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like the isekai about the guy being reborn as a godly pharmacy owner in a fantasy world, because he is just pretty nice.

I have a question about VRMMO stuff though: why are all of them written so that every support skill is secretly OP and makes you way too amazing, yet everyone ignores them?

I was recommended the legendary moonlight sculptor, and I kinda liked it, but I feel it is an ur example. Is it just done because there aren't many excuses to let a MC be mysteriously OP?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

I like the isekai about the guy being reborn as a godly pharmacy owner in a fantasy world, because he is just pretty nice.

I have a question about VRMMO stuff though: why are all of them written so that every support skill is secretly OP and makes you way too amazing, yet everyone ignores them?

I was recommended the legendary moonlight sculptor, and I kinda liked it, but I feel it is an ur example. Is it just done because there aren't many excuses to let a MC be mysteriously OP?

Only Sense Online has the mc taking all the ignored skills, and they discovers combinations that nobody else has heard about!!!

that are pretty decent at best and you're periodically reminded that the character i
sd actually pretty mid tier in general, if not lower mid wrt combat ability, and she's only notable in one specific niche. And even in that there are better.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Wouldn't this method not be reliable at all for any sort of advanced cancer due to the cancer metasticizing? There's a reason why you can't reliably just cure all cancers by cutting out the tumor in real life.

Also if the tumor is big enough or in a bad spot removing it will just kill you.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
So far in Handyman Saitou the MC is extremely underpowered and has mostly a support role in the party since he has no combat skills or magic whatsoever and is also very low level compared to the rest. I haven't read a huge number of isekai stories but it stood out to me as being fairly unique since he's just using his real-world job skills not some weird OP cheat.

also I am very concerned about him after the last chapter and really need an update!! :ohdear:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

The reason is because the main purpose of the stories is as a power fantasy (just....a really lame one where the fantasy is "being strong in a video game"). Having them become strong through using some uncommon skill is just an attempt to make it seem more "fair" than outright giving the MC powers that no one else has, though in practice it's basically the same thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

because these authors have never actually played a mmo or read mmo forums. people who play mmo's try out every conceivable detail and generally end up doing poo poo the gm's never imagined was possible. a skill or class being completely abandoned based on a beta test is ridiculous, and demonstrates a poor knowledge of what a beta test even is. one especially dull example is the summoner is going, where due to flawed balancing and character creation ui the mc ends up as the only summoner in the entire game, despite there being nothing in particular wrong with summoners.

in lms, regular sculptors do suck. it's just that weed stumbled on to a super special advanced version of the class that can also fight. lms does better on this front than most vrmmo webnovels, because it acknowledges that a immersive vr fantasy world is better with non-combat roles. there are artists, mountain climbers, sailors, farmers, etc. lms still has loads of problems and dragged on far, far too long, but it did do that one aspect well.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ytlaya posted:

Why? If the cancer has metastasized it seems like it would be the only way to cure you, since it would remove the cancerous cells all over your body at once. It does seem like for a large enough tumor just having it disappear from your body might kill you though, but I'm no doctor so I can't say for sure.

But anyways, the point was about the morality of the protagonist, not a debate on magical cancer cures.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 24, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ytlaya posted:

The reason is because the main purpose of the stories is as a power fantasy (just....a really lame one where the fantasy is "being strong in a video game").
I always appreciated LMS just going all-in and having being strong in a video game also earn you hundreds of millions of dollars, literally the most beautiful woman on the planet, and effective rulership of the entire real world because the AI that runs the game also controls the internet.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 24, 2019

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You would be amazed at how many of these VRMMO stories have a disclaimer in their original Japanese synopsis that the author has never played an MMO, and it shows.

Ytlaya posted:

The way her powers work is that she doesn’t seems to have any limits on being able to specify what does or doesn’t teleport with her, or on size, so she can teleport stuff like ships, planes, and buildings.

So she doesn’t specify “the tumor”, she specifies “all cancerous cells”. She does the same thing with harmful viruses and bacteria. The whole thing started as an explanation of why she doesn’t transmit communicable diseases between worlds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter of that overly-cautious isekai

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

A new translator has picked up however we're shortening the glitchy one with Train-san

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really like the don't even leave a single cell existing attention to detail, don't take any chances

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's another otome villainess reincarnation isekai: And also a cooking manga maybe??

This one has the MC not being able to avoid the banishment ending of the villainess she reincarnated as even though she did try, but she's finding church life not too bad as she not so subtly introduces foods from her past life. Will probably have a growing harem.

Seems like cute mindless fluff I can get behind and the head knight guy seems cute.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

FFTA on the other hand commits one of the worst Isekai sins. "Thou shall not try to turn thy isekai into an alagory about escapeism."

That wasn’t its problem. The problem is that the story downplayed the very obvious stuff that was going down (Mewt’s bullies being turned into zombies) in favour of telling its parable with someone, whose biggest problem is that mummy doesn’t pay him quite as much attention as he thinks he’s owed thanks to her being concerned for his wheelchair bound and possibly terminally ill younger brother, going around telling off people who have some genuine poo poo to process through up-to and including being wheelchair bound.

Marche isn’t the villain, he’s just an rear end in a top hat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol jesus the first chapter of potion isekai is heavy as gently caress

Guess that's a trend with this author, huh. Right off the bat it's extremely brutal, either physically or emotionally, both potion and planeswalker isekai (since the teleportation one is basically that) just go right for it immediately

Hilariously with potion isekai it's not "oh no truck-kun!" but whoops god hosed up and you exploded. Start new game? Y/N

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Huh, I hadn't put them together but you're right.

Average Abilities MC also has a kinda bleak life before reincarnating. She's really smart and good at studying, so while her immediate family treat her normally and stand up for her, her extended family fight over who gets to take care of her and place all of the hopes of both sides of the family on her shoulders. She also has no friends at school because the other students feel like she's way out of their league.

Then a child gets knocked into the street in front of a truck and she's the only one to react and dies saving the kid, who turns out to be under the protection of a god (she's going to grow up and discover the way for mankind to travel the stars) who also semi messed up and couldn't save the kid himself. Finally, the god twists her request in a way she doesn't want, making her stand out even more in her new life.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Apparently Kenja no Mago is getting an anime, so I looked it up. I searched the thread and didn't see it, so I figured I'd mention it.

I've only read a few chapters and so far it seems OK. The basic premise is the MC is a salaryman who dies, and is reincarnated. He's found by an old magician who raises the MC as his own grandson. He teaches the MC all sorts of amazing magic, but then when the MC turns 15 Grandpa says "Whoops I forgot to teach him common sense" and thus the MC goes off being the most ridiculously OP person of all time.

It's fairly light-hearted about things, hopefully it stays that way though if it goes off the rails in a terrible direction please let me know.

https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-131181

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

Apparently Kenja no Mago is getting an anime, so I looked it up. I searched the thread and didn't see it, so I figured I'd mention it.

I've only read a few chapters and so far it seems OK. The basic premise is the MC is a salaryman who dies, and is reincarnated. He's found by an old magician who raises the MC as his own grandson. He teaches the MC all sorts of amazing magic, but then when the MC turns 15 Grandpa says "Whoops I forgot to teach him common sense" and thus the MC goes off being the most ridiculously OP person of all time.

It's fairly light-hearted about things, hopefully it stays that way though if it goes off the rails in a terrible direction please let me know.

It handles its romance a bit awkwardly, but I haven't seen anything bad in this one yet.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

I read it a while back and from what I can remember it's not bad in the "slavery, rape, and torture" way, but it is kind of bad in just the normal way. I thought the story was kind of dull and predictable and few of the characters held my interest. Opinions may differ, though.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
i wanted an isekai where the protag has to fly cold war birds in a weird civil war but then I realized that was just area 88

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

ConanThe3rd posted:

That wasn’t its problem. The problem is that the story downplayed the very obvious stuff that was going down (Mewt’s bullies being turned into zombies) in favour of telling its parable with someone, whose biggest problem is that mummy doesn’t pay him quite as much attention as he thinks he’s owed thanks to her being concerned for his wheelchair bound and possibly terminally ill younger brother, going around telling off people who have some genuine poo poo to process through up-to and including being wheelchair bound.

Marche isn’t the villain, he’s just an rear end in a top hat.

Even if we ignore the numerus unfortunate implications and personality problems the story still has the problem of trying to fit a message about escapism into a video game about kids transported to a magical fantasy land. It's like trying to put an anti-masurbation message in your porn video, or a message about why enjoying senseless violence and explosions is bad thing in a Michael Bay film. Even if your message is well intentioned its still going to come across as hypocritical.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
New chapter for Max Defense, and the two friends finally get to play together!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

KittyEmpress posted:

One reason I like Middle-aged man VRMMO is that after he finds out that certain skills are really good other players start to use them, and in some chapters he mentions others doing much better then him as a team.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How badly am I reading Bakarina if I think Katarina's obliviously to turning all the girls into capture targets as well?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sounds like you're reading it...completely right?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

l-l-lesbians???????

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Bakarina is the ultimate OP bisexual and doesn't know it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

RareAcumen posted:

How badly am I reading Bakarina if I think Katarina's obliviously to turning all the girls into capture targets as well?

This is not something the novel goes out of its way to hide from you

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

arisu posted:

This is not something the novel goes out of its way to hide from you

I'm reading the manga I kinda got mixed up in the later parts. Like 'wait maybe Mary actually does still have a thing for Alan afterall?' But I might just need to go through it again.

Something like that. But anyway, I found another one that I'm looking forward to seeing more of later.

The Vengeful White Cat Lounging on the Dragon King's Lap It's a lot like +a no tachiichi in that two girls get pulled into another world but there's complete animosity from one as the other has basically tormented them all their life by somehow having sycophants at every turn and never being able to escape her. 'Gimme your doll because I want it' (They're four years old at the time) 'I got lost on a field trip but you're in trouble for not looking after me despite us not being in the same class.' Then once she gets to the other world she finds out that fairies absolutely adore her. Can't get enough of her, so if you're looking for a protagonist of modest skill this ain't it. She immediately blows out some Robosaurus flames while entertaining the idea of possibly casting magic and that was on accident.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Sword Dad updated. The current arc is over and Fran gets her new armor. Plus best shadow doggo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

RareAcumen posted:

The less she knows, the better off we’ll be.