Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

RIP Syndrome posted:

What kind of dumbass plan involves sending a couple truckloads of weapons across the border anyway, when there's already weapons everywhere and the trucks would get inspected anyway. Wouldn't it be smarter as a PR move where they strangle the economy first and then send in aid in a "see we're the good guys and Maduro is bad" and he's damned if he accepts it and damned if he doesn't?

e: From the perspective of some theoretical, competent coup planner.

they already strangled the economy, this is the ‘we are the good guys’ casus belli and yes it is dumb as hell. These things are always dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Presenting Nipples posted:

they already strangled the economy, this is the ‘we are the good guys’ casus belli and yes it is dumb as hell. These things are always dumb as hell.

Yeah, I mean, why would there be weapons in the trucks, it makes no sense. They got the dead economy, the PR and now the CB.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

RIP Syndrome posted:

What kind of dumbass plan involves sending a couple truckloads of weapons across the border anyway, when there's already weapons everywhere and the trucks would get inspected anyway. Wouldn't it be smarter as a PR move where they strangle the economy first and then send in aid in a "see we're the good guys and Maduro is bad" and he's damned if he accepts it and damned if he doesn't?

e: From the perspective of some theoretical, competent coup planner.

We did this before. Abrams did this exact thing before

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I know, just unsure about why the trucks would be explodey. Russia did something similar in Ukraine.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

stoked to vote for comrade sanders in nh. to my friends in iowa, gently caress 'em up, fam

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

:bernget20:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

as we speak, protesters stopped US "aid" trucks on a bridge and set them on fire, and for some reason all our humanitarian supplies are literally exploding when exposed to the heat of the fire

https://twitter.com/WCKitchen/status/1099383797731201024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Even if that's true, the usual suspects can blame it on a car bomb

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
President Bernie Sanders

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

bernie

sanders

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

RIP Syndrome posted:

I know, just unsure about why the trucks would be explodey. Russia did something similar in Ukraine.

You put arms on the trucks in case they are let in, so your bets are hedged either way. It doesn't matter if they're found, it's just a media fight at that point, and the media will always air your exasperated dismissal of any evidence of what you were actually doing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You people are goddamn morons

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't think Bernie gets ratio'd very often

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1099380342018912257

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh no Bernie, how dare you say the Venezuelan tinpot dictator is anything but the beacon of human rights and democracy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh no, Bernie, you must say that the Venezuelan government should INCREASE the number of killed protesters to be good!!!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
ah so this is who the whole theater is for

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

olives black posted:

It's actually here and then here

Thanks Friend!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How loving stupid do you have to be to think that not sucking Maduro's cock = calling for war. Like what level of bootlicking, cowardly moron does it make you.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

How loving stupid do you have to be to think that not sucking Maduro's cock = calling for war. Like what level of bootlicking, cowardly moron does it make you.

i don't know, friend. what level is believing foreign aid isn't weapons for rebels, a thing that has happened countless times throughout us aid's existence

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

steinrokkan posted:

I imagine its about how loving stupid you are.

Also lol at being a mouthpiece for US facing regime change in TYOOL 2019 and calling someone else a bootlicker.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Saying nothing at all is better than saying "Maduro should let the CIA infiltrators carrying arms and aid to his usurpers into his country"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

lmfao

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is in the context of America blatantly trying to instigate a coup against a government they don't like for reasons that have nothing to do with humanitarianism. The US humanitarian aid is at best a worthless PR stunt that does next to nothing for Venezuela but legitimizes the US's position, at worst is running arms to the opposition and further harming Venezuela's citizens.

Tell us your opinions on Saddam and how necessary the Iraq War was next.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
just say trump bad lol

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
USA bad

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

idk about you all but personally I love to let elliot abrams ship shitloads of extremely humanitarian guns

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

It's hard to disagree with the tweet as it's written (prioritize people's needs, allow aid, don't gently caress up protesters), but due to the context of bogus aid, an unelected dude who declared himself president as a stand-in for "protesters", etc. it's natural to have strong reservations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

2DCAT posted:

after he was elected, there are a couple of bars in burlington that bernie would go to and just hang and chill and shoot the poo poo. unlike most elected officials, he's actually a good and normal human being.

I ran into him under similar circumstances to this back I was living in Burlington back around the turn of the millennium. Just had walked into a restaurant off of Church St. and bam, there's Bernie and Levi having dinner.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The situation in Venezuela is more nuanced than that, but Bernie saying that the us should gently caress off and let Venezuela and the rest of LatAm try to find a negotiable solution is what he should be saying.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the tweet also implies that maduro violently suppresses protests, which lol

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1091805966629244929

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

The situation in Venezuela is more nuanced than that, but Bernie saying that the us should gently caress off and let Venezuela and the rest of LatAm try to find a negotiable solution is what he should be saying.

The thing is he has been saying this as recently as last week. Really this is the time to point out that Abrams and his ilk have used humanitarian aid as a smokescreen to arm brutal murderous right wing militias in Latin America time and time again. That he's not doing that - and generally being as vocally anti-imperialist as he used to be - is flat out disappointing.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

lmao 12% would vote for kamala kop

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Dante80 posted:

Was the humanitarian aid in the border coming from the US government? I didn't know that (haven't really paid attention to this, I should have).

Here's a decent overview of what's going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii5MlQgGXyk

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

shut the gently caress up

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol @ assuming the US's intentions are noble at all for any reason, but especially since the people put in charge of this project were either architects of Iran Contra or Iraq 2.0

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

lol @ assuming the US's intentions are noble at all for any reason

THS
Sep 15, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

it’s feeding into the current aura and narrative of US intervention in Venezuela. i hate to say it but you are the loving moron here

trust in the Trump administration and Elliot Abram’s good intentions. that’s what you’re buying into. you stupid loving idiot

THS
Sep 15, 2017

no strings attached humanitarian intervention from America in 2019

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Chillgamesh posted:

Saying nothing at all is better than saying "Maduro should let the CIA infiltrators carrying arms and aid to his usurpers into his country"

the alternative, that Bernie really thinks starving people should be fed is unthinkable

THS
Sep 15, 2017

starving a nation with sanctions and then offering aid is an extremely pro good-faith move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

THS posted:

it’s feeding into the current aura and narrative of US intervention in Venezuela. i hate to say it but you are the loving moron here

trust in the Trump administration and Elliot Abram’s good intentions. that’s what you’re buying into. you stupid loving idiot

I think that recognizing that "Hey I can make Maduro look lovely by feeding Venezuelans" is well within Trump's wheelhouse.