Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

What exactly is the pool on this exchange, anyway? Is it just non-limited 4-stars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

What exactly is the pool on this exchange, anyway? Is it just non-limited 4-stars?

Literally, yes. Also the last merlin rate up ever on both servers.

https://fategrandorder.fandom.com/wiki/10M_Downloads_Campaign#SR%20Servant

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Oh that's a tough choice. I want Salter because Salter is great, but Gorgon is an Avenger and I don't have any of those.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The merlin gacha also has salter/lalter as the 4* rateup, so I'd do any rolls you might want before picking.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tae posted:

Oh finally i can get a banana.

...or maybe Gozen because why not go all in on the animal ears i guess.

Today i looked ahead at Abigail and i'm distressed to learn that she's an SSR which means i won't get her (my last 5* was TamaShark) :(

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Hmm. Honestly, looking at the list, it's like...do I use this to fill a gap in my ability to make teams, or do I get Nitocris?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Hmm. Honestly, looking at the list, it's like...do I use this to fill a gap in my ability to make teams, or do I get Nitocris?

7 months is a long time, we have a (worst) guaranteed SSR anniversary by then.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I decided to single pull on both singularity banners, after a ten roll on Camelot last night got me gently caress all. I lucked into Lancertoria. She will sadly need to wait until I've finished leveling Karna, but now I have three Lancers with self NP charge, so grinding will be a lot easier in the future.

I always hated trying to build NP with three Q/Q/A/B/B decks, now I won't have to ever again!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Artoria has very nice quicks so getting np and stars isn't so bad, or at least it doesn't feel bad.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

nitocris is loving amazing fwiw

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

7-turn Challenge Quest Run

Beach Queen >>> Burger Queen

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah having a ST arts saber is super, super tempting and dead honest the only reason I'm considering him. That said, like a month after we get this ticket Yagyu comes out.

God trying to get Musashi, Tomoe, and Yagyu during those campaigns is gonna hurt.

Having used both I like Saberlot more than Yagyu. Yagyu can get good arts crits for a turn, but Lancelot is just always critting and can make his own stars on top of it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yagyuu's real value isn't his damage output, which is fine in and of itself, but it's that he's Saber Asterios in terms of damage debuff.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
they have different uses, saberlot is much better for general use since he's extremely straightforward and has three turns of sustained crit monster, but doesn't offer anything but raw damage for harder bosses, which isn't bad by any means but he can't work around enemy gimmicks at all without help

yagyu is a boss/CQ fiend, able to inflict a 50% 1-turn ATK debuff with a skill and a 20-60% 3-turn ATK debuff on his NP, meaning he can almost entirely neuter a boss's damage output by himself, on top of having an evade of his own in case things turn south or you have trouble keeping his ATK debuffs up for whatever reason. he requires more team support than saberlot does to shine in, but does more for the team in extended fights, which more and more fights are as the game progresses

in short, saberlot's easier to use but if you're willing to build a team around him, yagyu has better potential imo

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Refined sitting old man or Sir Lance's-a-lot-of-married women? You decide!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yagyu being more of a team player, in addition to his weird mana burst, are definitely what draw me to him over saberlot's self-sufficient loop of selfish skills. saberlot does free you up to run fewer/no 2030s on supports, which is a definite benefit though.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
i choose grandma birb, the blade of chaotic evil's bane

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So, since Bedivere was initially unworthy of being a Heroic Spirit, but his deeds in Camelot and faithfully carrying the sword for over a thousand years proved him worthy of becoming one, can't Jalter maybe also make it into the Throne, even though she was initially an impossible existence that should never have been because there was no Jeanne anywhere in the multiverse that resented and hated the people at her death, through her actions as an Avenger Servant working to save humanity when summoned by Chaldea?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gologle posted:

So, since Bedivere was initially unworthy of being a Heroic Spirit, but his deeds in Camelot and faithfully carrying the sword for over a thousand years proved him worthy of becoming one, can't Jalter maybe also make it into the Throne, even though she was initially an impossible existence that should never have been because there was no Jeanne anywhere in the multiverse that resented and hated the people at her death, through her actions as an Avenger Servant working to save humanity when summoned by Chaldea?

I think that all the Servants go into the Throne, it's just going to be pretty much impossible for anyone to get a catalyst in order to summer any of the weirder ones in any non-FGO timeline.

Piell fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 24, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Gologle posted:

Worthiness has been vastly overstated since the idea of Nursery Rhymes has been allowed to inhabit the Throne.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hypocrisy posted:

Worthiness has been vastly overstated since the idea of Nursery Rhymes has been allowed to inhabit the Throne.

Stories shape reality. :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's 2019 and people are still questioning if X person can be a servant when we have multiple book nerds and a literal book be heroic spirits

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

423 turns, huh

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tae posted:

It's 2019 and people are still questioning if X person can be a servant when we have multiple book nerds and a literal book be heroic spirits

I think it's like Piell said - How the hell would you summon Jalter? She never existed, so you can't go steal her sword out of a museum or something for a catalyst.

It would require some plot device level bullshit, like trying to summon normal Jeanne, but making sure that your calendar says Opposite Day on it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Does summoning always require a real artifact from the servant in history? I don’t remember rin or shirou needing that for their summonings.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

UchihaHirou posted:

7-turn Challenge Quest Run

Beach Queen >>> Burger Queen
Think I could manage this if my Tamamo is only 80 (but the Archuria is my friends Level 100 NP 5 10/10/10)?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Billzasilver posted:

Does summoning always require a real artifact from the servant in history? I don’t remember rin or shirou needing that for their summonings.

Rin had her pendant, which saved Emiya's life, and Shirou had Avalon.
e: Although I don't think a catalyst is strictly necessary. Just makes it easier to know what you're getting out of the deal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

Rin's pendant is a cataylst for the future that Archer came from.

Shirou is literally the catalyst, in Avalon.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Billzasilver posted:

They didn't need them because they didn't realize they already had them

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Tae posted:

Rin's pendant is a cataylst for the future that Archer came from.

Shirou is literally the catalyst, in Avalon.

:psyduck:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

It's actually quite simple: Shirou is bad at staying alive on his own, so he needs help.

First, Kiritsugu shoved Avalon into him so he wouldn't die as a kid. Avalon is Excalibur's scabbard, so it's a valid catalyst for Saber. Then, Rin saves his rear end when he gets Gae Bolg'd because he's a dumbass. This still happens to EMIYA, so the pendant is a catalyst for him.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Without a proper artifact as a catalyst it seems like the summoning system defaults to a servant suitable to the master's temperament and personality.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ryuunosuke summoned Caster Giles without catalyst and Medusa also allowed herself to be summoned without catalyst by Sakura, becouse Sakura was in the same situation Medusa once was and Medusa wanted to help, just out the top of my head, so you definitely can summon Servants without using a catalyst.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 24, 2019

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ryuunosuke summoned Caster Giles without catalyst and Medusa also allowed herself to be summoned without catalyst by Sakura, becouse Sakura was in the same situation Medusa once was and Medusa wanted to help., just out the top of my head, so you definitely can summon Servants without using a catalyst.

I thought he got Gilles because of that tied up kid.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Tired Moritz posted:

I thought he got Gilles because of that tied up kid.

The tied up kid died after the summoning.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Lt. Lizard posted:

Ryuunosuke summoned Caster Giles without catalyst and Medusa also allowed herself to be summoned without catalyst by Sakura, becouse Sakura was in the same situation Medusa once was and Medusa wanted to help., just out the top of my head, so you definitely can summon Servants without using a catalyst.

quote:

Catalyst list:
Medusa: Mirror dug up from a temple in Eritrea. An item with ties to an old Earth goddess of Greece.
Medea: Literature, from Colchis, with ties to Medea .
Kojirou: The mountain gate.
Hasan: Since Hasan is the origin of the word Assassin, the class of Assassin itself is Hassan's catalyst.

Chu Chulainn: A jewel on which is engraved an original rune inscribed by Chu Chulainn. It had been crafted into earrings.

(Others are the same)

The only apparent edge case out of SN/Z is just Gilles

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Compendium posted:

The tied up kid died after the summoning.

Right, but Ryuunosuke had been terrorizing him up to that point. I thought that was the catalyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my understanding was that a catalyst just narrows the pool you're summoning from relative to how specific whatever thing you're using is, i suppose. like kairi's chunk of the round table pulls mordred while avalon pulls artoria. i also feel like the summoning system could give less than a gently caress so maybe avalon could still pull you someone like bedivere who just happened to carry the sword/be tied to artoria etc

ultimately it's all malleable lore so who cares