Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scutty
Mar 28, 2013
I'm not sure if this has been posted here before but, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K828aSkhRHk tries to explain how the Star Trek license has been transferred around which gives us this mess we have with Star Trek now. It kind of explains why the ships are so different looking. I feel like the STO ships are just a collection of stats anyway and not that different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Hi I don't play this game anymore, but I lurk and I just wanted to let you guys know to take various nerd YouTube channels talking about Star trek news with a grain of salt because many of them even if they aren't chuds, are still chud adjacent

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....
I don't know what cannibalistic human underground dwellers have to do with behind-the-scenes drama in movies and television but that particular channel has been pretty spot on about a lot of the things they've discussed in regards to Star Trek.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
lol no midnight’s edge isn’t right about anything

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

faxmachine posted:

I don't know what cannibalistic human underground dwellers have to do with behind-the-scenes drama in movies and television but that particular channel has been pretty spot on about a lot of the things they've discussed in regards to Star Trek.

Don't know how you could be on Something Awful in this TYOOL 2019 and not know, but just in case; "chud" is slang for alt-righters and Trump supporters.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Slayer posted:

Don't know how you could be on Something Awful in this TYOOL 2019 and not know, but just in case; "chud" is slang for alt-righters and Trump supporters.

Because nobody goes to D&D anymore except the people who live there.

CHUD is a pretty well known VHS movie and the first thing that comes up on a random Google search for me.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

Moon Slayer posted:

Stop trying to co-opt cool and funny terms like 'Chud' for your dumb politics drama.

Scutty
Mar 28, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Hi I don't play this game anymore, but I lurk and I just wanted to let you guys know to take various nerd YouTube channels talking about Star trek news with a grain of salt because many of them even if they aren't chuds, are still chud adjacent

Woah this took a turn pretty quick. After reading several posts about discrepancies in the ships, I just wanted to throw this out there as it might explain some of the differences. I'm not a conspiracy nut but hey this kinda fits. Regardless, I enjoy STD as I do most sci-fi and viewing it as non-canon (or at least purposely different than the old trek) actually makes it better for me.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The people who own the name say it’s canon, but do what you feel necessary. Death of the Author and all that.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Scutty posted:

Woah this took a turn pretty quick. After reading several posts about discrepancies in the ships, I just wanted to throw this out there as it might explain some of the differences. I'm not a conspiracy nut but hey this kinda fits. Regardless, I enjoy STD as I do most sci-fi and viewing it as non-canon (or at least purposely different than the old trek) actually makes it better for me.

I mean if the information about the way licensing the show works is accurate to what's said in that video, then it pretty much explains all the weird decisions and lies.

Which would make Discovery effectively a reboot, I suppose. It's own separate series unconnected to any previous Star Trek show except in passing ways.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It makes STD an STD with original Star Trek the sweating bedridden patient asking the doctor if they get to keep their junk or does it have to come off.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Scutty posted:

Sorry I didn't mean to make it seem like I was accusing anybody here of anything, Midnight's edge has been right about a few things to my knowledge but I haven't seen all their videos, and so much of the discussion around this show on YouTube is just "and here's how the sjw feminists ruined canon" I felt the need to say something

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes people simply don't like a thing in sufficient numbers to justify production cost for the target market.

Either they're spending too much to make it or the target market isn't there.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Quick question - why do some starships have Starship Mastery and some don't? Is it down to how you pay for the thing? I bought the Odyssey pack with Zen, and it has it, but I bought some Star Cruiser thing with Dilithium and then couldn't find the mastery page anywhere.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

If its a T6 ship it has a trait, unless its the fleet version.

pretty sure thats it

e:Oh, I misread your question, but the point pretty much stands. That star cruiser is t5 isn't it?

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

Yeah, it's T5 I think. Highest tier you can buy with Dil anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GlenMR posted:

Yeah, it's T5 I think. Highest tier you can buy with Dil anyway.

Yeah, none of the straight dil ships have starship mastery because they're the ships you can get for free leveling up.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

Makes sense I guess, cheers.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So the big 2 day endeavor is play Dabo, win 500 latinum. Go to DS9, throw down a bet, win 15,000 latinum on my 1st spin. Ok well then... that was easy :homebrew: :stonkhat: :thumbsup: .

Also finding a combo of Paradox Bomb, Sompek Lightning & Phaser Turret makes the Provoloneho STO extra laughably easy. Suck them in with bomb, AOE nuke with lightning, put turret up high somewhere to kill leftovers. Wash Rinse Repeat.

Also speaking of endeavors that guy who made all the Foundry farms for them has gotten over 100k dil in tips from people doing them.. and the max tip is 100 dil per run.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MREBoy posted:

So the big 2 day endeavor is play Dabo, win 500 latinum. Go to DS9, throw down a bet, win 15,000 latinum on my 1st spin. Ok well then... that was easy :homebrew: :stonkhat: :thumbsup: .

Also finding a combo of Paradox Bomb, Sompek Lightning & Phaser Turret makes the Provoloneho STO extra laughably easy. Suck them in with bomb, AOE nuke with lightning, put turret up high somewhere to kill leftovers. Wash Rinse Repeat.

Also speaking of endeavors that guy who made all the Foundry farms for them has gotten over 100k dil in tips from people doing them.. and the max tip is 100 dil per run.

They’re so loving convenient. Someone also made a DPSMark foundry mission that starts next to the Exchange in ESD and is great for benchmarking new ships and builds.

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

Can one of you fine people with promotion permissions in Dental give my alt Space Satan a boost one level up so he has permissions to give out fleet map invites?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Coq au Nandos posted:

They’re so loving convenient. Someone also made a DPSMark foundry mission that starts next to the Exchange in ESD and is great for benchmarking new ships and builds.

Is that one any good for leveling up ships? I just want something brain dead with waves of semi-easy enemies that I can put a rock on my spacebar and watch TV.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is that one any good for leveling up ships? I just want something brain dead with waves of semi-easy enemies that I can put a rock on my spacebar and watch TV.

Argala is still your best bet, unfortunately.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So I left a review on one of the endeavor grind missions - "STO - where the playerbase makes better missions than the devs."

Response:

:woop:

And one of my endeavors now is Kill Terrans on Ground.... gee I wonder this might be hard.

And just 2 more days till all reps are T6, yay. Is that Lukari ship you can get via the Colony holding any good ?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
people are gonna be mad when the devs make it so foundry doesnt count for the endeavors i bet

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Also, Feb 27th is the anniversary of Leonard Nimoy passing away.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm pretty sure XP from foundry missions got nerfed into the ground years ago.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

I know this has been asked before but do we have a Discord channel? I remember someone saying we had one before but wasn't sure if it's still alive or if a new one was made.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

AGGGGH BEES posted:

I'm pretty sure XP from foundry missions got nerfed into the ground years ago.

Yeah, but so was the XP from doing STOs so . . . .

Seriously, what's the pro way to power level a T6 ship these days? Grind patrols?

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, but so was the XP from doing STOs so . . . .

Seriously, what's the pro way to power level a T6 ship these days? Grind patrols?

Coq au Nandos posted:

Argala is still your best bet, unfortunately.

it's in the Delta Quadrant, just NE of the dyson sphere. It's pretty fast just warp out of the system before the final fight and you can start the whole thing again.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

timjin posted:

I know this has been asked before but do we have a Discord channel? I remember someone saying we had one before but wasn't sure if it's still alive or if a new one was made.

https://wiki.wesleyguide.com/start

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Thanks. Can someone auth me? Username is: timjin

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

timjin posted:

Thanks. Can someone auth me? Username is: timjin

You’re in. I just looked at the Discord out of curiosity, and... don’t look at the discord.

Since we have a few people checking out the wiki, I’ll look at updating it over the next week or so to include some of the newer stuff.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Discord is a happy place full of upstanding people.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.
Behold a visual representation of how much I apparently hate myself.

2+ hours a day for 21 days all done manually.
200+ upgrades worth of omega crap.
"I'll do as much omega grinding as possible and then I won't ever have to worry about upgrades again!"

I'm an idiot.

It's not _quite_ as bad as it sounds cause I just listened to music/podcasts while doing it but still.

I am never doing anything but the bare minimum anniversary event poo poo ever again.

(also I'm still annoyed the omega shard text is blue but it's icon is purple and the omega fragment text is purple but it's icon is blue. Cryptic did that on purpose.)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Man I just bought like 20 stacks of the uncommons once the pubbies had driven the price down.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Codex Occultus posted:

"I'll do as much omega grinding as possible and then I won't ever have to worry about upgrades again!"

I'm an idiot.

It's not _quite_ as bad as it sounds cause I just listened to music/podcasts while doing it but still.

I am never doing anything but the bare minimum anniversary event poo poo ever again.

(also I'm still annoyed the omega shard text is blue but it's icon is purple and the omega fragment text is purple but it's icon is blue. Cryptic did that on purpose.)

I hate myself as much as the next SA poster but you really hate yourself. Pretend I put on a hat specifically to salute you or something.

Yeah if you want to continue living you need to figure out in advance if [event reward] is genuinely worth wasting time every day for the better part of a month. Otherwise your brain might leap down and strangle your airway.

LordCo
Jun 25, 2005

Codex Occultus posted:

I'm an idiot.

I hate myself too.

1 billion worth of traces (59940 to be exact) that will eventually end up being 2220 Frags. I don't plan on upgrading, just selling during upgrade weekends for the next year. I'll make a good return, but I'll have carpal tunnel by the end of it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I think I figured out a way around random TFOs. Pick the one you want to do, click to queue, then when the dialog pops up to ready for it decline and immediately sign up for a random. I've done it a few times today and each time I got the one I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When you choose a TFO, the queue system will fill the team from the next batch of people who hit the random button, as long as it's not one of the TFOs excluded from the random system (competitives, elites, and anything for 10+ players).

So basically, you're just creating a specific TFO and then placing yourself in the group matched into it. There's no need to add the extra step of leaving it and hitting random. You're just random joining the queue you just created.