Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

Co-worker unloaded his old record collection on me. Three boxes of maybe 150-200 records. Mostly compilations that aren’t worth anything (a lot came from a radio station he used to DJ at back in the 80s), but a few solid finds like Purple Rain or Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors. But then there’s some truly amazing finds too.

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/1098792624914423808?s=21

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/1098794157341057025?s=21

say what you want about anything but ice cream castle is one of the loving best records ever and I will fight you on that.

e: and the title track is the best track on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

hexwren posted:

say what you want about anything but ice cream castle is one of the loving best records ever and I will fight you on that.

e: and the title track is the best track on it

A lot of the records came from a radio station so any song with profanity has a note written beside it, in this case alongside Jungle Love.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ballz posted:

A lot of the records came from a radio station so any song with profanity has a note written beside it, in this case alongside Jungle Love.

I love that Morris Day earned a reprimand for saying "slut". Tsk!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hey nerds: Waxwork just put up a new press of Re-Animator, this one "features a completely new mastering and plating job and was sourced from the original master tapes" as the hype page says, so it's an upgrade from the previous pressings.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 22, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

DisposableHero posted:

Thanks! This is exactly the sort of info I needed to get started.

I did consider the AT-LP120 from the OP but $300 was just a little high for something I'm coming at casually to start. It may bud into something more serious. Goodness knows I have a tendency toward retro hardware. I'd like to test the water at a little bit lower price though if possible.

It's interesting. $200 seems to be kind of a non-existent price point for new turntables. The lower end ones tend to be $100 or less while the next tier up from that is generally going to start at around $300. If I had to guess, this is because someone who just wants to be able to listen to records and doesn't care too much about the bells & whistles isn't going to want to spend over $100 to do that. But someone willing to spend $200 or so is probably pretty likely to be willing to spend $250-300.

I would second the recommendation to find a local record store that refurbishes old turntables and start up a conversation with the owner. Most record store owners I have found are more than happy to share their knowledge and make a good recommendation for an affordable turntable. Keep in mind that older turntables are less likely to have a built in pre-amp, which is a necessary component that you might need to purchase in addition to the turntable.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Posted in the thread a week or so ago looking for turntable recommendations as a first-time buyer, and I'm happy to say that I finally got one and hooked it up! I was initially going to go with a U-Turn or an AT-LP120, but didn't really like either of them after I had the opportunity to try them out. Wasn't a huge fan of moving the belt to change speeds on the U-Turn and the LP120 seemed far more complex than I needed/wanted. So, I wound up getting an Audio-Technica AT-LP5 instead. Here's a (terrible) picture of it spinning it's first record:

The setup is incredibly basic: I'm running the turntable's onboard preamp into a pair of Edifier R1280T powered speakers. It's probably not ideal, but it sounds fantastic to me! I'm incredibly happy with it and I can't imagine why this wasn't a part of my life before.

MrSargent posted:

It's interesting. $200 seems to be kind of a non-existent price point for new turntables. The lower end ones tend to be $100 or less while the next tier up from that is generally going to start at around $300. If I had to guess, this is because someone who just wants to be able to listen to records and doesn't care too much about the bells & whistles isn't going to want to spend over $100 to do that. But someone willing to spend $200 or so is probably pretty likely to be willing to spend $250-300.

As someone who has been researching turntables like a madman for the past few weeks, the closest I've found is the U-Turn Audio Basic. Retails for about $180, plus tax. A couple of TEAC models also come close, retailing around $220.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Youtube retro tech expert Techmoan has recently put up a four-part series on how to build a budget hi-fi system, and he used a Pioneer PL-200X, although it's worth watching the series for context. That one does need an amp; personally I'm a big fan of the "onboard preamp into Edifiers" method for simplicity but, y'know.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was enjoyable enough, but I'm not sure I'd use it as an outline. He kinda juts makes rushed time based eBay decisions on gear he doesn't know and hopes for the best. I guess it proves that you don't really have to put a huge amount of thought into it mind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Hey nerds: Waxwork just put up a new press of Re-Animator, this one "features a completely new mastering and plating job and was sourced from the original master tapes" as the hype page says, so it's an upgrade from the previous pressings.

Wasn't the previous release sourced from the original tapes?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

The most major piece of advice I can give you is do not under any circumstance buy something made by Crosley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OUVjJXANY

Crosley makes a non-terrible table, the C6. Whether you want to get something better for a bit more cash is another question... but they make at least one table that isn’t awful

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Wasn't the previous release sourced from the original tapes?
Discogs says the previous releases were sourced from the original tapes, but Waxwork's been saying on social media that this version is a new master. I don't have any of the previous copies so I'm happy either way.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 22, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Discogs says the previous releases were sourced from the original tapes, but Waxwork's been saying on social media that this version is a new master. I don't have any of the previous copies so I'm happy either way.

I have the previous version and it sounds really good. I think that's a whole lot of fancy words to say they made a new lacquer.

pwn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OUVjJXANY

Crosley makes a non-terrible table, the C6. Whether you want to get something better for a bit more cash is another question... but they make at least one table that isn’t awful

I just read a review of it and I would avoid it. It seems like the selling point is "it has a pre-amp" and "it's less of a piece of poo poo than they usually make". Not really compelling stuff. I think you'd be much better off going the record store/vintage refurb route for this price. It also has a 3.5 tracking force, which some say isn't the biggest deal but I would want to avoid that too. Back when I got my LP120 the factory cart tracked at 3.5 so I replaced it with a 440MLa. They use something different now.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 23, 2019

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Do any of the higher end non-Crosley style turntables auto-turn off when they reach the end of a record or do they just keep spinning until you manually turn them off?

It seems like a lot of them require manual everything, and having a turntable not turn off by itself if a gripe of mine. Then again maybe I just got used to old crappy tables that do that for you?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

jeeves posted:

Do any of the higher end non-Crosley style turntables auto-turn off when they reach the end of a record or do they just keep spinning until you manually turn them off?

It seems like a lot of them require manual everything, and having a turntable not turn off by itself if a gripe of mine. Then again maybe I just got used to old crappy tables that do that for you?

I think auto return tends to be a feature of lower end turntables but I could be wrong. There's an accessory you can buy that goes under the tone arm to act as an auto return for manual turntables. But I never got why some people strongly prefer automatic features because you still have to get up to flip the disc. I don't like automatic because some of them are weird about queuing specific places on the disc. And this is a very specific complaint but some records have weird loops and things at the end and automatic turntables just say "nope!" to those things.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I wish my AT 120 had the option of auto return, or at least auto-stop, because there are some albums which are perfect for falling asleep to, and I would like to do so without shaving off 8 hours of life on my $200 stylus.

So yeah, having it as an option which can be switched on or off would be nice.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

pwn posted:

I wish my AT 120 had the option of auto return, or at least auto-stop, because there are some albums which are perfect for falling asleep to, and I would like to do so without shaving off 8 hours of life on my $200 stylus.

Basically this for me. I'd rather not hover over my turntable like some of OCD audiophile, but hey, I guess there is no other option besides being a scrub that likes auto-return stuff.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I can live without auto play but auto return is too nice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

pwn posted:

Boinks posted:

I can live without auto play but auto return is too nice.

I HAVE COME TO SAVE ALL YOUR LIVES!

http://www.thequp.com/

Black Sabas
Apr 29, 2015

jeeves posted:

Basically this for me. I'd rather not hover over my turntable like some of OCD audiophile, but hey, I guess there is no other option besides being a scrub that likes auto-return stuff.

the runout groove is lava

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

I HAVE COME TO SAVE ALL YOUR LIVES!

http://www.thequp.com/
This is amazing

You are amazing

(digs deeper)

The Q Up posted:

The Q UP is NOT compatible with DJ style turntables like the Technics 1200, Audio Technica and Stantons. There is no space between the platter and the tonearm to mount the lifter.
:suicide:

It was a beautiful dream for 20 minutes though...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

This is amazing

You are amazing

(digs deeper)

Bet you wish you had a Crosley now. :smugbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

This is amazing

You are amazing

(digs deeper)

Life is pain.

I think there are other brands of these but I'm too lazy to search for it. Are you guys just listening to one side of an album? What's going on here?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

No, I get that, I'm talking about it being lumped in with the fat boys and hammer and commented on as 'lmao'

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

hexwren posted:

No, I get that, I'm talking about it being lumped in with the fat boys and hammer and commented on as 'lmao'

It was in reference to the handwritten Tsk comment, I meant no disrespect to Mr. Day or the Time. :kiddo:

Anyways I'm starting to clean some of the records because they've been gathering dust in a closet for three decades and are simply disgusting. I'm adding the ones I plan to keep to my discogs collection and while most aren't worth all that much, one early surprise is a near-mint copy of this Dr. Feelgood promo that for some reason hasn't ever sold below $32 on discogs. Yes, that sticker claims it's pressed on "high audiophile quality vinyl." It's from 1989 so no I don't believe a word of it.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 23, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I just read a review of it and I would avoid it. It seems like the selling point is "it has a pre-amp" and "it's less of a piece of poo poo than they usually make".

Crosley makes nothing. It's all straight from Alibaba. Surprising that they'd offer something a bit better since it only leaves them with a 70% mark-up instead of the usual 90%.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Stupid question.

I have an AT 440 MLb stylus, which is a “nude” stylus. This means that the stylus is all diamond, no metal, just a diamond fused to the cantilever.

The lifespan is supposed to be between 500 and 1,000 hours.

How does a diamond, literally the hardest substance on Earth, “wear” against plastic?

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

pwn posted:

How does a diamond, literally the hardest substance on Earth, “wear” against plastic?

It's normally poo poo in the grooves like dust the slowly abrade the polish and basically round off the tip a bit. It takes a long time and depends on the record being played, but it happens. The cantilever suspension also wears out (depending on the rubber at the base, etc), which will change the strike angle of the tip and expose new edges to catch more poo poo, etc.

So the plastic's not really the culprit, it's the collected poo poo in the groove. Clean your record, occasionally your stylus, and a good cart will last well past the 1k "average" unless there's mechanical failure.

pwn
May 27, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

It's normally poo poo in the grooves like dust the slowly abrade the polish and basically round off the tip a bit. It takes a long time and depends on the record being played, but it happens. The cantilever suspension also wears out (depending on the rubber at the base, etc), which will change the strike angle of the tip and expose new edges to catch more poo poo, etc.

So the plastic's not really the culprit, it's the collected poo poo in the groove. Clean your record, occasionally your stylus, and a good cart will last well past the 1k "average" unless there's mechanical failure.
That makes much sense, thank you.

I just properly cleaned it for the first time tonight, after probably 100-200 hours of play. I always removed surface/visible debris from a record before each play, but have yet to start doing deep clean. There was definitely some dust on the stylus, so hopefully, after it dries, I’ll be able to try it out.

I also noticed the cantilever was angled slightly (identical to the photos posted in the OP of this thread) but, well, I haven’t noticed any sound or performance problems, and people on that board say it’s no big deal, and that it’s well within tolerance, but it was definitely a brief moment of panic before rational thought kicked back in.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I just picked up a tub of records at an auction. I looked through the first few and they are all from Victor records with a war bond advertisement on the sleeve. They seem kinda brittle so I don't want to handle them too much. Is there a place where I can look up values of ww2 era records besides ebay

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
My site archives eBay sales / auctions for the last 5 or so years: https://gripsweat.com

Sounds like you bought a tub of 78s. Grading / shipping them is a bit specialized so read up if you're going to try selling any.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

joebuddah posted:

I just picked up a tub of records at an auction. I looked through the first few and they are all from Victor records with a war bond advertisement on the sleeve. They seem kinda brittle so I don't want to handle them too much. Is there a place where I can look up values of ww2 era records besides ebay

Probably not worth much, unfortunately. There are always exceptions but most are destined for the Goodwill donation pile. Doubly so if they’re in poor condition... which they almost certainly are.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

joebuddah posted:

These are shellac 78s and rarely worth anything. Also if you try to play them on your turntable without the special types of stylus designed for them it will ruin your stylus. Don't play them. But if you want to look into vlaues try discogs to get an idea what they sell for. Popsike is also good for this. It tracks ebay sold auctions. Ebay and discogs are pretty much the two most common ways people will sell records online.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, at this point, most 78s really aren't worth much. Sure, if you've got some blues poo poo, you can get a pretty penny for a rare record, but a lot of them are really musical styles that people don't really listen to much anymore. So there may be a market, but it will be hard to sell.

It's like a record from the Ray Connif Singers. It might be rare, but who listens to them anymore?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Thanks for the help. I only paid $10 for a tub of records and a tub of books. If nothing else the tubes are worth 10. Blues are a possibility as WC Handy used to live here. I will inventory and post a list to give goons fist pick.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

78s show up all the time at booksales my ma likes to go to but they're all Sousa marches and other crap no one in their right mind would listen to

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
They seem to be in good shape.
So far it looks like big band ( jack fina) and Gospel

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I have only a handful of 78s because even if they’re in good condition and you use a proper needle, they still sound like poo poo.

This is the only one I have that’s worth bragging about :

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/1035990775539146758?s=21

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

I have only a handful of 78s because even if they’re in good condition and you use a proper needle, they still sound like poo poo.

This is the only one I have that’s worth bragging about :

https://twitter.com/newsfedora/status/1035990775539146758?s=21

Aside from nerd value isn't that also worth a good amount of money?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Certainly more than the dollar I paid for it. I think non-beater copies of it can reach about 100 bucks on discogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
There seems to be a lot of big band music

Highlights include

Benny Goodman
Miller orchestra
The Kole trio
Frank Sinatra

And a weird one
The allergic history
A borden clincial conversation

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xyo3nMLHw2PaJRcdmdFgjg6qddZwLUavMyqQ0Qef4yk/edit?usp=sharing