Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

"i don't like the new mulligan rule because it seems like it would be easier to cheat!" followed up almost immediately by somebody cheating

marcio is like a bertoncini that's also good at the game, he's gonna cheat constantly no matter what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sickening posted:

Technically both of them are cheaters.

:rimshot:

sickening

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hellsau posted:

marcio is like a bertoncini that's also good at the game, he's gonna cheat constantly no matter what

people already cheat, a slightly different mulligan doesn't make deck stacking any more or less likely. although i think it would be pretty great if somebody could break down how the new mulligan rule would empower cheaters.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Joe Soh's mardu vampires is spicy as heck. I wonder what his constructed vs. draft record is.

Do you have a list? Part-replying to make this easier to find tomorrow, guess it's on the stream?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

people already cheat, a slightly different mulligan doesn't make deck stacking any more or less likely. although i think it would be pretty great if somebody could break down how the new mulligan rule would empower cheaters.

Ye ol' mull twice, draw 8 put 3 back.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I so want Mardu to be a thing and am disappointed how low it is on the MTG Goldfish Meta list

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I so want Mardu to be a thing and am disappointed how low it is on the MTG Goldfish Meta list

Mardu has been a tier 2 deck like twice across the entire history of magic and basically unplayable otherwise, it's basically the worst color combination in the game(although it's gotten better in the last 5 years or so)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do you have a list? Part-replying to make this easier to find tomorrow, guess it's on the stream?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC1/standings-by-format

7-3.

Even though watching standard is a lot more fun, it really is being good at limited that puts you in top 8 contention. No one who went 10-0 or 9-1 made top 8.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

the poor bastard who went 10-0 in standard went 1-5 in draft, which at least lets them qualify for the next one

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I don’t know about cheating, but I’m positive that at some point at fnm I am going to forget how many times I’ve mulliganed so far with that new rule. Hopefully my opponent pays attention.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ShadeofBlue posted:

I don’t know about cheating, but I’m positive that at some point at fnm I am going to forget how many times I’ve mulliganed so far. Hopefully my opponent pays attention.

Mulligan counters become the new buy a box promo, hire me Wotc

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Certainly a great top8. Autumn or Reid, please.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Big fan of those Stronghold Shocks.

Of course it’s Reid Duke that happened to be traveling with a playset of stronghold shocks to loan when LSV asked after day 1.

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1099109897537536000?s=21
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1099462048646352896?s=21

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

It will be published with sb later but in the meantime

Thanks.

quote:

Even though watching standard is a lot more fun, it really is being good at limited that puts you in top 8 contention. No one who went 10-0 or 9-1 made top 8.

I think this might be small sample sizes, but if it holds true over many many PTs it's indicative of the amount of preparation the formats take. To go 10-0 in Standard takes focusing on it to a degree where your limited performance suffers, the opposite is not true for 6-0 in limited.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tainen posted:

Of course it’s Reid Duke that happened to be traveling with a playset of stronghold shocks to loan when LSV asked after day 1.

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1099109897537536000?s=21
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1099462048646352896?s=21

Reid Duke owns.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elyv posted:

Mardu has been a tier 2 deck like twice across the entire history of magic and basically unplayable otherwise, it's basically the worst color combination in the game(although it's gotten better in the last 5 years or so)

You're talking Standard/Type 2 only, right? Because last year, Mardu Pyromancer/Bedlem Reveler was rampaging all over Modern.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateNu posted:

You're talking Standard/Type 2 only, right? Because last year, Mardu Pyromancer/Bedlem Reveler was rampaging all over Modern.

That deck was/is bad.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 24, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

AlternateNu posted:

Also the original Aristocrats was both mardu colors and definitely tier 1.

I dipped out during Khans so I don't have much first hand knowledge but I do remember people talking about mardu midrange with Rabblemasters that was competitive for at least some of it.

Other than that and Mardu Pyromancer I can't really remember anything.

Edit:

mcmagic posted:

That deck was bad.

How can one man be this wrong?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AnEdgelord posted:

Also the original Aristocrats was both mardu colors and definitely tier 1.

I dipped out during Khans so I don't have much first hand knowledge but I do remember people talking about mardu midrange with Rabblemasters that was competitive for at least some of it.

Other than that and Mardu Pyromancer I can't really remember anything.

Edit:

How can one man be this wrong?

I'm not wrong. It was a meta game deck for when Humans was like 20% of the field. It's bad. It's basically a much worse version of GDS without the fast clock.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fine, there have been 3 playable Mardu decks across the entire history of Magic, my mistake guys

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

mcmagic posted:

I'm not wrong.

the mcmagic slogan

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

I'm not wrong. It was a meta game deck for when Humans was like 20% of the field. It's bad. It's basically a much worse version of GDS without the fast clock.

I don't even know where to begin here. First of all if you are going to disqualify a deck from being "good" because it was only played when it was well positioned in the metagame then you might as well disqualify half the decks in magic history. Almost every deck ever is played because of how it is positioned in the metagame and the only decks that aren't are extremely uninteractive linear decks or one of the monstrous metagame destroyers from previous (very bad) standards.

Mardu Pyromancer can be a bad deck now while still being a good deck when it was played, this isn't hard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't even know where to begin here. First of all if you are going to disqualify a deck from being "good" because it was only played when it was well positioned in the metagame then you might as well disqualify half the decks in magic history. Almost every deck ever is played because of how it is positioned in the metagame and the only decks that aren't are extremely uninteractive linear decks or one of the monstrous metagame destroyers from previous (very bad) standards.

Mardu Pyromancer can be a bad deck now while still being a good deck when it was played, this isn't hard.

You can argue over what "good" means but it's only favored in VERY specific matchups and it's clock is too slow. There is a reason it's literally vanished from the metagame.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Just realized it's you playing CalebD on stream right now

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

You can argue over what "good" means but it's only favored in VERY specific matchups and it's clock is too slow. There is a reason it's literally vanished from the metagame.

It clearly was not too slow when it was top 8'ing protours, scg opens and gps.

The reason it vanished is because the metagame shifted away from Humans and towards Ironworks. This does not mean it was a bad deck when it was making appearances in the winner's circle of tournaments.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Marketing New Brain posted:

Also his guest, The Tolarian Professor is poo poo talking how miserable your deck is hahah

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
mcmagic is right mardu pyromancer is/was trash

I think a lot of it was midrange being displaced and then an excellent player spikes an event with it and a whole bunch of displaced fair modern Planeswalkers picked it up, myself included. I was mainly playing GDS before, but young peezy and casting faithless looting for fair value gets me randy, so I switched over and the entire time I just wished I was playing GDS. And most of (dozens!) have realized that.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Mardu Pyromancer was a pretty bad deck that had results because tons of people played it; we actually have the data from it's GP performances even when it was being played all over the place, and it had a pretty terrible winrate compared to all the other decks.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Pontius Pilate posted:

mcmagic is right mardu pyromancer is/was trash

I think a lot of it was midrange being displaced and then an excellent player spikes an event with it and a whole bunch of displaced fair modern Planeswalkers picked it up, myself included. I was mainly playing GDS before, but young peezy and casting faithless looting for fair value gets me randy, so I switched over and the entire time I just wished I was playing GDS. And most of (dozens!) have realized that.

But if you had played GDS you would have just gotten repeatedly owned by literally every Humans player

In fact we could very easily be having this same discussion about GDS instead of Mardu Pyromancer if we were having it about a year ago.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

But if you had played GDS you would have just gotten repeatedly owned by literally every Humans player

In fact we could very easily be having this same discussion about GDS instead of Mardu Pyromancer if we were having it about a year ago.

Nah. The different Death Shadow Archetypes have showed more consistency in the format. Much more. The card Death Shadow is just individually very powerful.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The thing is that GDS was bad in that meta, but Mardu was just bad in general. It had one good matchup and only had results because everybody and their brother and their sister played the deck.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Mardu Pyromancer was a pretty bad deck that had results because tons of people played it; we actually have the data from it's GP performances even when it was being played all over the place, and it had a pretty terrible winrate compared to all the other decks.

Do you have links to any of this from when it was top 8ing?

Sampatrick posted:

The thing is that GDS was bad in that meta, but Mardu was just bad in general. It had one good matchup and only had results because everybody and their brother and their sister played the deck.

It dominated the MTGO Modern trophy leaderboard for a long time before people even started picking it up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Marketing New Brain posted:

Congratulations

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I look forward to Hellsau's Stonehorn list being featured on Tolarian Community College.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Do you have links to any of this from when it was top 8ing?

It dominated the MTGO Modern trophy leaderboard for a long time before people even started picking it up.

This is from when Mardu was doing well. You would obviously prefer to have more stats but that's what we've got. Here are the end of year stats for the format.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

C-Euro posted:

Big fan of those Stronghold Shocks.

I like how he has OG shocks but not OG shocklands.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its obvious to me at this point, fellas, mardu NOT play that archetype

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

rabidsquid posted:

its obvious to me at this point, fellas, mardu NOT play that archetype

Mardon't.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

This is from when Mardu was doing well. You would obviously prefer to have more stats but that's what we've got. Here are the end of year stats for the format.

That's from after KCI started to get big, which is a very different format from what we're talking about. If your point is that players don't switch Modern decks fast enough, well, duh. But it's not very convincing for "Mardu was never good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Maybe Hellsau playing enough streamers is how to get stuff banned, see: Gleemox