Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ritznit posted:

Thank you!

What exactly do the maggots do? Why do I want at least 15 stacks of them? How do I build Nidus well?
Maggots explode when your stompy hits them, doing a fair aoe. I don't know what you mean by 15 stacks of them so I assume you actually mean mutation stacks, which you build by hitting things with your 1 and 2. Build, I like a lot of range and ability strength. Rage is good for energy gen since you have no Shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

My nidus is 200% str and I think 145% range with the other two at 100 and there is nothing that boy can’t do. Everybody goes in the grinder, no exceptions

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if you have at least 15 mutation stacks, when you die you instead do not die, but it consumes 15 stacks each time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if you have at least 15 mutation stacks, when you die you instead do not die, but it consumes 15 stacks each time.

This is what makes Nidus so godly in Arbitrations, because so long as you have 15 stacks you can't die, and if you can get to max stacks you can go as long as you like especially if you have Nidus +300% strength as a bonus because nothing's going to live long enough to kill you.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Those Mutation Stacks sound incredible, holy cow. Thanks for explaining them to me.

How are the maggots generated, then? Just passively? Any way I can influence that?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Your 4 creates an infected zone that increases health regen while in it, and also generates maggots periodically.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ritznit posted:

Those Mutation Stacks sound incredible, holy cow. Thanks for explaining them to me.

How are the maggots generated, then? Just passively? Any way I can influence that?

maggots are generated by nidus' 4, which puts down a squiggly carpet which also grants hp regen. maggots automatically seek out enemies and eventually explode on their own, but if you use your 1 on an enemy with a maggot on them you generate bonus mutation stacks. this power also costs a few stacks to use, however.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ritznit posted:

When you have at least 3 stacks you can cast your 4, which generates maggots. If a maggot is attached to an enemy when it dies I believe by any means you get a point in a stack. Kill it with your 1 and that's 2 points, so in heavy enemy density with your 4 down and maggots everywhere you can potentially get 6-7+ full stacks from a single 2+1 combo in your 4's area.

The stacks mean Nidus really needs an endless mission (he's the god king of solo survival) to truly shine, in any other kind of mission he's just not going to build up the stacks he needs to do what he does well.

Also when enemies get maggots on them they start doing this really dumb wiggle.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hey can someone talk about a) which side of syndicates to pick b) how to do all the stuff in the open world areas

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

quote:

Mutation stacks

On top of not-dying after 15 stacks, each stack of mutation increases the damage of Nidus's 1 ability, and after enough stacks you'll see it hitting for 5 and 6-digit damage. Additionally whenever you have linked to an ally with 3, every time you cast 1 a second '1' will erupt from the location of your ally, so you get two stomps in one which doubles your stack income.

StashAugustine posted:

hey can someone talk about a) which side of syndicates to pick

Both sides (Steel/Hexis/Suda vs Perrin/Loka/Veil) are good. Just go with whoever you think looks cooler, there's no wrong answer here.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 24, 2019

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

StashAugustine posted:

hey can someone talk about a) which side of syndicates to pick b) how to do all the stuff in the open world areas

Here's another way to decide: do you want to periodically deal with eximus kill squads of roller balls, ospreys, and corrupted lancers, or of chargers, ancients, and moas?

I went pro-Steel Meridian side purely on aesthetics, so I can say one thing from experience, in early game play those ancient squads are a pain in the rear end, bunching up and making each other take forever to kill.

Open world areas: do the Vallis before you dip your toes into the Plains of Eidolon, especially if you don't have a sniper rifle you like yet. Both open worlds will start you off with a quest chain, from Konzu on Earth and Eudico on Venus. Do bounties for them for some initial standing. Starting equipment for the basic Other Stuff You Do There all cost standing:
  • Fishing: Buy a spear from the corresponding town hub, one for Earth fishing and one for Venus fishing. Stand at the edge of a body of water, pick the fishing spear from your gear wheel, aim it and wait for fish to spawn. They can be hard to see without dye from Cetus. Robofishing on Venus adds a minor timing QTE when you hook the robofish. Strip 'em for parts or standing at the corresponding town.
  • Mining: Don't bother with Earth drills. Buy a drill from Fortuna, it works in the Plains of Eidolon too. Equip the drill from your gear wheel and it'll tag veins of ore on your minimap. Aim at a vein with the drill and it'll have drill points. Shoot each point with the drill for a timing QTE, release in the marked box. Cash 'em in for standing or refining blueprints at the corresponding town.
  • Animals: If you find innocent wildlife on Earth, slaughter it. On Venus, buy a tranquilizer rifle and an echo-lure. Equip the rifle from your gear wheel and it'll tag sightings of the animal you have a lure for. Follow the tracks, look for droppings, use the echo-lure to mimic their call, then bag 'n tag with the rifle.
  • Extreme sports: After you finish the introduction quest from Fortuna, equip the K-drive launcher from your gear wheel in either open world. Zoom around. Push buttons do stunts get ventkid standing.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Nidus’ 3 allows him to gain enough extra mutation stacks or survivability as well. The most annoying thing to mod him is if you use his 4 much with higher duration to save a little on mutation stacks, your 2 suffers in that if you drag in half the map into your tentacle monster the random rear end guy stuck behind a dumpster will can keep you from casting it again for a while.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ritznit posted:

Hm, that Prion helmet looks really nifty in the preview picture on that alert. Time to get it and build it in time for Nidus to be done. I love the sleek shape and the stripes and needles on it.

While I admit that it has got a bit of a beak problem, Prion is awesome because it opens up into a friggin crown as you build stacks.

In fashionframe news, i've discovered my new favourite colour. Ki'teer palette, weird greenish grey. It looks amazing as an energy colour on Nekros, makes his undead look spoopy as hell and desecrate looks like patches of weird sea mist.

Oh poo poo, it would probably look great on Hydroid as well, got to try that tomorrow.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

I Am Just a Box posted:

[*]Mining: Don't bother with Earth drills. Buy a drill from Fortuna, it works in the Plains of Eidolon too. Equip the drill from your gear wheel and it'll tag veins of ore on your minimap. Aim at a vein with the drill and it'll have drill points. Shoot each point with the drill for a timing QTE, release in the marked box. Cash 'em in for standing or
[/list]

*Unless you're farming specifically for Amarast for kitguns etc in which case use the Advanced cutter from earth on Valis because it has better drop pool for that one particular gem

And Tyler Too! posted:

Additionally whenever you have linked to an ally with 3, every time you cast 1 a second '1' will erupt from the location of your ally, so you get two stomps in one which doubles your stack income.

Works when you're linked to an enemy too.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I finally unlocked Arbitrations the other day, and those drones are the loving worst :mad:. What weapons do y'all prefer for dealing with them?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Awesome! posted:

staticor was nerfed? im trying to imagine it being better and im struggling

You see how big the charged shot AOE is?
That used to be reversed with the spammable uncharged attack radius.

There is also a chance people didn't go back to it after it's nerf when the new charged shot did self-damage for a few days.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There is also a chance people didn't go back to it after it's nerf when the new charged shot did self-damage for a few days.
:stonklol:
I just knew about the uncharged radius nerf.
This is going to haunt me in my nightmares

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lprsti99 posted:

I finally unlocked Arbitrations the other day, and those drones are the loving worst :mad:. What weapons do y'all prefer for dealing with them?

Staticor, Ignis Wraith, Arca Plasmor, and Catchmoon kitguns are all pretty good for dealing with those.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I like using the Synoid Simulor on them. But mainly for blinding teammates.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i usually prefer a high-damage, accurate weapon to take out drones so that i can pop them from a good distance and not have to worry about my shots getting eaten up by the enemies around them.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I rely on Phantasma or Catchmoon for the drones, but anything with a lot of punchthrough could do the job. Or you could be really accurate with some other kind of gun but gently caress aiming imho. I'm very addicted to the "wave your mouse in the general direction of some enemies and they evaporate" class of guns.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lprsti99 posted:

Find a big group, press 2, then press 1 until dead (or until there's only 1-2, finish with weapons), repeat. Use your 3 on enemies to both disable them and make you super immortal, or on ally killframes if regular immortality is enough. Press 4 if you are sticking in an area for a while, or if you're at max stacks. Try to keep 15 stacks minimum.

To add to this a little: you should be actively looking for opportunities to press 4. If you're not pressing it a lot, then you're either flying through low-level content where it doesn't matter or you're not pressing it enough.

It costs 3 stacks to activate, but it pays for itself very quickly since if you stomp an enemy and also hit one of the maggots from 4, you get credit for the stomp and the maggot. You will reach cap faster using 4 than saving it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So yes you can just do kdrive tricks while your clone murders stuff and hope toroids drop.

Test-0
Jul 15, 2006

It lives...
Owch.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kitty got squished by a car

e: oh i didnt even notice her head floating up at the top lol

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

sushibandit posted:

If you only use one element, toxin is useful against more enemies than heat is, yeah. But you should really be using a combination element, either COR or RAD. I'd drop the ammo mutation for a 2nd element and just run with carrier. TVR are fun and can dump an absurd amount of damage very quickly.

I did this and went for corrosive, thanks!

grobo
Feb 6, 2001
I just installed this game again after maybe 5 years and I'm deepy confused as to what to do and there doesn't seem to be any way to restart from scratch without making a dummy account. Is there a version of what-the-hell-is-going-on starter guide that's newer than the OP? There are all these consoles on board my ship now and I tried landing on a thing but it didn't even seem like it was a combat mission and oh god I don't even know what level my space ninja is?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
OP and the follow up post are still mostly on point tho. Goon clan/discord are active so apply to that and ask more specific questions directly in game, this lets people trade or taxi you instantly. Back when i started playing i mostly went by https://www.polygon.com/guides/2017/12/1/16721024/warframe-beginners-guide , but that was back in November so there's a few newer things missing, obviously. The rest still looks pretty reasonable now that i'm 700+ hours in.

Why would there be a reason to restart from scratch? It's not like the game will give you a better tutorial than what you'd be looking up on external sources anyway.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 24, 2019

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

it's about to be dropped back down to just regular ol' useful.

This is Warframe, man. If it can't kill the entire map in half a second while also giving you 90% DR and doing your dishes then it's trash tier.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Thanks for all the Nidus tips, folks! I'm excited to hear that his abilities work so nicely with each other, that sorta thing is always fun to me. Will take a bit of time to learn, but cool as hell nonetheless.

Lprsti99 posted:

My personal preference are big strong weapons with punchthrough and/or a wide radius of attack in their projectiles. Arca Plasmor is my favorite in this category, since it has both, and it means I can generally just shoot in the direction of a group of enemies and all their drones are going out without trouble.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

where do people go to farm up a bunch of axis? looking at the wiki it looks like tier 3 interceptions are the most efficient with only axis on b and c but i dunno.

xini specifically is very easy to run since it's infested. bring a slow nova to trivialize it further

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

grobo posted:

I just installed this game again after maybe 5 years and I'm deepy confused as to what to do and there doesn't seem to be any way to restart from scratch without making a dummy account. Is there a version of what-the-hell-is-going-on starter guide that's newer than the OP? There are all these consoles on board my ship now and I tried landing on a thing but it didn't even seem like it was a combat mission and oh god I don't even know what level my space ninja is?

You might want to replay the tutorial mission so they can explain the consoles and mostly because they remade it (and they are planning on remaking it again)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Managed to have enough Ducats left over from Baro's console visit to buy 3 resource boosters, so I have 9 days of double resources lined up. I intend to stock up on all of the things that are normally a pisser to grind for, so that I never ever ever have to do it ever again.

I intend to put on some podcasts and limit myself to 1 run of each (3 kuva survivals at the absolute most) per day so I don't go insane. So far my list is:

- Toroids,
- Cryotic,
- Wisps,
- Cetus fish & mining,
- Kuva survival,
- Rift defence / survival (both to restock my ducats and use the boosted void traces to radiant up some relics).

Anyone think of anything else? As I say I intend to use this next week to stock up on as many resources as possible, especially things that are useful but a ballache to get.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

9 days of double kuva, so about 10 rerolls worth

J
Jun 10, 2001

grobo posted:

I reinstalled recently and went through what you're going through, and there's still a bunch of poo poo that I'm learning about as I go. This is a big honkin document but on the table of contents on the left click "quick start guide." Do everything on that list and by the time you get through it you'll at least be sorta kinda familiar with some of the basics.

Oct 28, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Managed to have enough Ducats left over from Baro's console visit to buy 3 resource boosters, so I have 9 days of double resources lined up. I intend to stock up on all of the things that are normally a pisser to grind for, so that I never ever ever have to do it ever again.

I intend to put on some podcasts and limit myself to 1 run of each (3 kuva survivals at the absolute most) per day so I don't go insane. So far my list is:

- Toroids,
- Cryotic,
- Wisps,
- Cetus fish & mining,
- Kuva survival,
- Rift defence / survival (both to restock my ducats and use the boosted void traces to radiant up some relics).

Anyone think of anything else? As I say I intend to use this next week to stock up on as many resources as possible, especially things that are useful but a ballache to get.

make sure to hit the kuva floods when they aren't terrible missions.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Truga posted:

xini specifically is very easy to run since it's infested. bring a slow nova to trivialize it further

This is exactly what I do, including my choice of frame.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Got a magnus riven, is that a decent weapon? also whats the best way to get headshots without taking damage?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

also whats the best way to get headshots without taking damage?

Use Vauban's third ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Got a magnus riven, is that a decent weapon? also whats the best way to get headshots without taking damage?

Go hunting for corpus on orb valis with a sniper.