Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Aside from the fact that there's been no information on any significant troop movements to Columbia (Which would be impossible to hide), 5,000 troops is nothing. The invasion of Iraq involved well over a hundred and twenty five thousand American and British troops on the ground, which itself was a woefully inadequate number.

I'm not saying that an invasion of Venezuela isn't out of the question (Though I personally think Trump is far too chickenshit to actually sign off on it), but that it would be impossible for it to be "imminent" as many have suggested because there simply hasn't been any real level of military buildup that would be a necessary prelude to invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

RaySmuckles posted:

yes, the solution is to make an even bigger humanitarian crisis right next to the first one by bombing/invading their country

this will snuff out the first humanitarian crisis by sucking in all the coverage and suffocating it

nothing, and i mean nothing, helps a country out like "bombing them back to the stone age"

electrical plants? water treatment facilities? major highways? those are all actually obstacles to ending a humanitarian crisis

You are literally a nazi. You care nothing for venezuela only your nazi ideals that US BAD because im anti-imperialist idk what it means but it sounded like a good group

Yes the peoppe of venexuela have decided maduro is best because 70% were forced to choose between voting for maduro and getting food to survive the holpcaust or voting against maduro, and starving.

Hmm declining food to certain groups to gurantee support... thats fascism. Aka nazism.

Wait i know everyone whos starving must be paid by the cia to lose 40 lbs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RaySmuckles posted:

well, not western european, or directly of it, which is the typical insinuation when people invoke "the west"

OK, you're massively wrong then. Or is this some next level "Africa starts at the English channel" racism you're pulling? Cuz it's got nothing to do with how Venezuelans typically see themselves, nor do most of their neighbors.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Squalid posted:

I'm not sure Colombia or Brazil are even capable of invading Venezuela, even if they wanted to. . .

or at least not if they faced any serious opposition.

Brazil will definitely try if bolsonaro needs a big enough distraction internally.Brazil's SF are brutal and experienced because they recruit a lot from the police death squads, and they were recently deployed in Haiti fighting paramilitary groups.Brazil's army on the other hand is, huh, not good.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Aside from the fact that there's been no information on any significant troop movements to Columbia (Which would be impossible to hide), 5,000 troops is nothing. The invasion of Iraq involved well over a hundred and twenty five thousand American and British troops on the ground, which itself was a woefully inadequate number.

I'm not saying that an invasion of Venezuela isn't out of the question (Though I personally think Trump is far too chickenshit to actually sign off on it), but that it would be impossible for it to be "imminent" as many have suggested because there simply hasn't been any real level of military buildup that would be a necessary prelude to invasion.

An intervention on Venezuela wouldn't start off with American troops rolling in, but with months of civil war where anti-Maduro elements are supported by a small number of American forces + support from Colombia and Brazil.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Brazil will definitely try if bolsonaro needs a big enough distraction internally.Brazil's SF are brutal and experienced because they recruit a lot from the police death squads, and they were recently deployed in Haiti fighting paramilitary groups.Brazil's army on the other hand is, huh, not good.

Brazilian military has no interest in this

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I think you should defer to the opinion of actual Brazilians like Negrostrike on the plausibility of this scenario, unless you have a really good reason to believe otherwise.

edit: Though I am less sure how far Brazil and Colombia would go to assist the US if it did want to step up military posturing or even a limited intervention. Would Colombia let US planes fly missions out of local airstrips? I don't know how that would play politically.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 23, 2019

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
WAR CRIME GIGOLO calling someone a nazi v good username/post combo

Squalid posted:

edit: Though I am less sure how far Brazil and Colombia would go to assist the US if it did want to step up military posturing or even a limited intervention. Would Colombia let US planes fly missions out of local airstrips? I don't know how that would play politically.

This is why the US has aircraft carriers?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

How tense is the situation between Columbia and Venezuela right now? My girlfriend is currently in Columbia and probably out of harms way, but I'm still a bit nervous given the recent developments.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh please, every intervention short of massed invasions like Iraq started out with just a few thousand troops. In 1961 there were only 3,205 "advisors" in Vietnam.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

She's likely to be fine unless she's by the border right now. I don't see Colombia invading or anything like that.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

COMRADES posted:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO calling someone a nazi v good username/post combo

This is why the US has aircraft carriers?

Yes, though at the moment none of them are in position to sustain operations against Venezuela. That may change in the future, but is the current status quo.

I'm not sure how much that matters though, as I believe there are also US military installations in Puerto Rico. However I think the big military airport in Puerto Rico closed? I'm not sure what kind of support structure would be required for operations against Venezuela. In any case I don't think there is any evidence of immanent military operations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Your gf is likely dead and half frozen, devoured by the madurista cannibals who are overrunning the region.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
The Colombian authorities provided an update about 20 minutes ago, and have said that 60 National Guard/National Police/Army soldiers defected into the country so far today.

This video shows three National Guard soldiers shortly after defecting:

https://twitter.com/GabyGabyGG/status/1099435572664377345

EDIT: The crowd is chanting "Valientes! Valientes!" which means "brave", as in, "You were brave to defect".

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1099444470410592258?s=19

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

God I hope Brazil doesn't decide to join in on this shitstorm

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
these defections are the first thing making me think Maduro's hold might actually be loosening a little

Anyone know if the dudes being deployed to the Colombian border are likely to be fairly representative of the Venezuelan military/police, or the schlubs whose commanders were in enough disfavor to get sent to the rear end end of nowhere for a thankless assignment?

edit: or alternatively the schlubs who were already mostly there rather than in a more lucrative environment

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

these defections are the first thing making me think Maduro's hold might actually be loosening a little

Anyone know if the dudes being deployed to the Colombian border are likely to be fairly representative of the Venezuelan military/police, or the schlubs whose commanders were in enough disfavor to get sent to the rear end end of nowhere for a thankless assignment?

edit: or alternatively the schlubs who were already mostly there rather than in a more lucrative environment

I'm a bit hesitant to draw strong conclusions from these defections because probably thousands of Venezuelan soldiers have deserted and emigrated over the last few years. A few individuals leaving the country here or there is just a continuation of that trend. Now if entire formations start abandoning their posts together, that will be interesting.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 24, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Squalid posted:

I'm a bit hesitant to draw strong conclusions from these defections because probably thousands of Venezuelan soldiers have deserted and emigrated over the last few years. A few individuals leaving the country here or there is just a continuation of that trend. Now if entire formations start abandoning their posts as a together, that will be interesting.

yeah you're probably right

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Conceivably borders are lucrative for smuggling reasons.

At least in Afghanistan there was that commander the US loved, who controlled the border and was implicated in tons of smuggling.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

freeasinbeer posted:

Conceivably borders are lucrative for smuggling reasons.

At least in Afghanistan there was that commander the US loved, who controlled the border and was implicated in tons of smuggling.

no need to cross the ocean for an example, there's another one much closer to home. meet Manuel Noriega, Great Ally of the United States, 1983-198we finished deposing your neighbors and Bush Senior would prefer his old buddy not embarrass him with any talk of where, exactly, all this cocaine was coming from.

Abrams personally interfered with the congressional investigation into Noriega having a journalist Kashoggi'd, on the grounds "he's been such a help to us in the region, and this will just hurt that relationship."

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reality Winter posted:

Your gf is likely dead and half frozen, devoured by the madurista cannibals who are overrunning the region.

Shut the gently caress up you dumb gently caress.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Reality Winter posted:

You're a disgusting human being.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You're a disgusting human being.

I mean random dude parachuting in worried his gf is gonna die in another country deserved to be mocked a bit.

Like most likely his gf is way more likely to come home with an STD, from all people she’s loving at the coke fueled orgys, as compared to being caught up in a border skirmish between Columbia and VZ.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

I don't know why it bothers me so much that people can't spell Colombia and Guaidó properly.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Question: Lots of people in this thread appear to be rooting for the military (or police) to turn on Maduro. In fact this seems to be the strategy the US & opposition is taking with offers of amnesty etc. But why is no one considering the possibility of the colectivos armados doing the same? Why aren't they being offered amnesty? What guarantees their loyalty to the PSUV in a way that doesn't apply to the military? And if the people want Maduro gone, why is the military a better representative of the will of the masses than the colectivos?

Bob le Moche fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 24, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Blue Nation posted:

I don't know why it bothers me so much that people can't spell Colombia and Guaidó properly.

:saddowns:

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Bob le Moche posted:

Question: Lots of people in this thread appear to be rooting for the military (or police) to turn on Maduro. In fact this seems to be the strategy the US & opposition is taking with offers of amnesty etc. But why is no one considering the possibility of the colectivos armados doing the same? Why aren't they being offered amnesty? What guarantees their loyalty to the PSUV in a way that doesn't apply to the military? And if the people want Maduro gone, why is the military a better representative of the will of the masses than the colectivos?

The Amnesty Law as is currently worded offers amnesty to "all civil and military officials" who "collaborate" with restoring democratic order in Venezuela. It doesn't discriminate at all among branches or organizations, so it includes colectivo armado members.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Blue Nation posted:

i can't be assed to figure out the unicode for o' :v:

Bob le Moche posted:

aren't they being offered amnesty? i genuinely don't know (and wouldn't entirely trust the specific wording of the amnesty as filtered through google translate, so I can't readily look it up for myself), but i'd assume they're in the same amnesty situation as the military, right down to the handling of their nonpolitical crimes, because it's not like the military doesn't also engage in a certain amount of robbery, extortion, and murder, although maybe not kidnapping as such

the military's not important because it's a representation of the will of the masses (the heck?), it's important because it by definition outguns anyone else in the country

but if the opposition doesn't have a plan to get the colectivos onboard / not actively hostile, it's gonna get real messy, yeah; personally that's actually my bet for most likely / least unlikely "lots of people get killed in the short to medium term after Maduro loses power" scenario, and I hope the Formerly MUD is thinking about how to avert that peacefully

Chuck Boone posted:

The Amnesty Law as is currently worded offers amnesty to "all civil and military officials" who "collaborate" with restoring democratic order in Venezuela. It doesn't discriminate at all among branches or organizations, so it includes colectivo armado members.

hooray!

edit: on another, pedantic note i obviously still am not entirely happy with "the opposition" as the primary term, but it's better than "Guaido" (who isn't and shouldn't be the only important person) and probably more accurate than the MUD-related phrases I've been trying out

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 24, 2019

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

GreyjoyBastard posted:

aren't they being offered amnesty?

Chuck Boone posted:

Seems I assumed wrongly, the offer of Amnesty applies to to the colectivos as well. I'm still curious how likely you think it is that there will be colectivo defections, and why.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the military's not important because it's a representation of the will of the masses (the heck?), it's important because it by definition outguns anyone else in the country
but if the opposition doesn't have a plan to get the colectivos onboard / not actively hostile, it's gonna get real messy, yeah; personally that's actually my bet for most likely / least unlikely "lots of people get killed in the short to medium term after Maduro loses power" scenario, and I hope the Formerly MUD is thinking about how to avert that peacefully
Yes this is why I'm asking about the colectivos, because they also have guns. Are they going to defect/disperse, or is the post-coup US-backed government going to have to engage in a counter-insurgency civil war against them?

Bob le Moche fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 24, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bob le Moche posted:

Seems I assumed wrongly, the offer of Amnesty applies to to the colectivos as well. I'm still curious how likely you think it is that there will be colectivo defections, and why.

Yes this is why I'm asking about the colectivos, because they also have guns. Are they going to defect/disperse, or is the post-PSUV US-backed government going to have to engage in a counter-insurgency civil war against them?

i have absolutely no idea how likely it is and defer to the venezuelans and even bigger nerds in the thread

i just know that last possibility is very bad and to be avoided

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Bob le Moche posted:

Yes this is why I'm asking about the colectivos, because they also have guns. Are they going to defect/disperse, or is the post-coup US-backed government going to have to engage in a counter-insurgency civil war against them?

I think that the general perception is that the colectivos will be the last to abandon Maduro because they are either die-hards who are beyond help, or mercenaries who will do their thing as long as the government is paying them. This is opposed to the general perception of the army, which I think sees rank-and-file soldiers as ordinary Venezuelans who suffer just as much as anyone else, but who just happen to be in uniform. This make it much easier to appeal to soldiers than to colectivo members.

In other words, I think that people generally see colectivo members as too far gone, while soldiers might still listen to reason.

I don't think that there are enough colectivos around to launch an insurgency on a national level. I suspect that in a post-Maduro scenario, colectivo members would just try to melt into the general population and hope that no one notices.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

freeasinbeer posted:

I mean random dude parachuting in worried his gf is gonna die in another country deserved to be mocked a bit.

Like most likely his gf is way more likely to come home with an STD, from all people she’s loving at the coke fueled orgys, as compared to being caught up in a border skirmish between Columbia and VZ.

First of yeah, it's a bit cynical to ask for my ~tourist~ (it's actually a work related thing) GF in a a thread about a country with real people suffering right now. I simply figured that people posting here have a much more real perception of the situation as the media I read. I hope it's obvious that I didn't intend to make that a mandatory story here. I sincerely hope for the best of all people that have to deal with this poo poo and hopefully won't come to harm.

Second: gently caress you you little dumb poo poo for writing these words about a great human being you never met. loving rear end in a top hat.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

haldolium posted:

First of yeah, it's a bit cynical to ask for my ~tourist~ (it's actually a work related thing) GF in a a thread about a country with real people suffering right now. I simply figured that people posting here have a much more real perception of the situation as the media I read. I hope it's obvious that I didn't intend to make that a mandatory story here. I sincerely hope for the best of all people that have to deal with this poo poo and hopefully won't come to harm.

Second: gently caress you you little dumb poo poo for writing these words about a great human being you never met. loving rear end in a top hat.

What would you have done if people said she's not going to be ok but sincerely

The second part though lol

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

In terms of strategic position, I'm not sure getting the colectivos armado to defect would advance the oppositions position very much. Guaido is not trying to start a civil war, he's trying to assert his control over the apparatus of the Venezuelan state. If the army were to switch sides the first thing they would do would be to occupy and secure government offices and ministries, forcefully removing PSUV leaders and allowing the National Assembly to start organizing elections and issuing legislation. The formal chain of command would allow the military to execute a coup of this kind quickly and efficiently.

Guaido couldn't do this with a bunch of colectivos. They might be equipped to handle crowd control, but they can't go toe-to-toe against the Venezuelan army. They're not going to be able to seize and occupy tv stations or courthouses in the face of military opposition. Nor do they have the kind of complex hierarchies and organizational structure that allow militaries to surprise opponents with coordinated nation-wide operations

How likely they are to accept the results of a military coup, or to take up arms and fight an urban insurgency, I don't know. The odds of that depend on how popular you think Maduro still is, which nobody can agree on itt.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 24, 2019

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
The CIA "coup" already failed. Look at how messy this poo poo is.

Guaido will probably be assassinated soon. Bolton has to invade, poor man :(

All he wants is food and shelter for ordinary cute (white) Venezuelan babies

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/comradekelley/status/1099435844400807943?s=20

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

the preferred outcome of "Maduro / the PSUV hold a fair-ish presidential election and disband the Constituent Assembly or hold a fair election for that too" is still a possibility

it'll just take time to see whether it happens or falls through, which would really suck even in a no-new-US-sanctions atmosphere

:toot:

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

that account is painfully cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Bullfrog posted:

that account is painfully cringe

It's a US gov parroting bot that targets shitters like dnd posters.

They're gonna fuckin eat that poo poo up here