Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

You're talking in circles. The source I linked to shows that the new "lite" twitter site accessed from mobile browsers is now called the Twitter Web App, which is distinctly different from Twitter Web Client.

No I'm not. I am saying there is a legitimate and easy to use reason why a post on a phone will show up as a browser. It doesn't take a special download, advanced skills or root access. It takes 1 click.

You, believe its more likely part of a conspiracy involving computers at an embassy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

exploded mummy posted:

orrrrrr they used the desktop site on a cheapass phone that didn't automatically load the mobile version

because I just was loving around and got a tweet to appear as "Twitter Web Client" from my phone doing that

thanks, i was pretty sure caps lock broken was being super gross

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I do it all the time :shrug:

Literally the only time I've personally used it was just this past half hour, trying to see how it affected tweets. And besides, he suggested that MOST android users use it, and I'd wager that the most people on this site fall into more of a power-user category than the general population.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its not too crazy to expect someone who tweets for a living to know a few tips and tricks to post on a random phone.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

what are the thread's thoughts on this?

https://twitter.com/ciccmaher/status/1099419098688208896

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
This is the least interesting thing you fucks could be discussing right now.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The ones who have access to tear gas grenades. Which burn really loving hot.

So yeah, the soldiers. You fucktard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

zapplez posted:

Its not too crazy to expect someone who tweets for a living to know a few tips and tricks to post on a random phone.

Maybe it isn't and I'm just underestimating this because of my personal experience (or lack of), but also now that I've read the phrase "someone who tweets for a living" I'm really sad and I'm gonna leave this thread.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

zapplez posted:

No I'm not. I am saying there is a legitimate and easy to use reason why a post on a phone will show up as a browser. It doesn't take a special download, advanced skills or root access. It takes 1 click.

You, believe its more likely part of a conspiracy involving computers at an embassy.

It's an improbable chain of events that is unlikely to happen. Since you people made me go and check, I tested it with mobile chrome and sent a tweet with the mobile page, requested the desktop site and sent another tweet. Both of them appeared as "Twitter Web App."

Again, which is the bigger conspiracy: That someone who sent a tweet that twitter identified as coming from a desktop web client from a desktop, or that the journalist was using an old, severely misconfigured android device that slipped through the cracks and got mistagged as coming from the desktop?

Not paying attention to the source tags happens all the time, to even more organized media efforts

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What is the disposition of the Lima Group toward today's events?

Private Witt
Feb 21, 2019
Reuters reporter has video of a colectivo thug firing - what appear to be - live rounds at protesters:

https://twitter.com/Liamaramos/status/1099484536193327104

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

A journalist at the scene said that the aid ignited from munitions fired at it by the National Guard (he said "tear gas").

George is being very cynical. You can easily argue the other way and say, "Who's more likely to burn the trucks: the people being ordered to stop the trucks from entering Venezuela at all costs, or the people risking their lives to make sure the trucks enter Venezuela?"

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Chuck Boone posted:

I was hoping to take the rest of the night off, but I saw these tweets and ran back here:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1099500136068202496

https://twitter.com/jguaido/status/1099497510836547585

Guaido says: "What happened today has forced me to make a decision: to formally propose to the International Community [sic] that we should keep all options open to achieve the liberation of our Homeland which is fighting and will continue to fight. Hope was born to never die, Venezuela!"

Guaido also said that he's attending the Lima Group meeting on Monday, which is taking place in Bogota, so it sounds like he'll formally make that request there.

You're a fool if you think this wasn't the plan from the beginning.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Private Witt posted:

colectivo thug

I like how the mask is slipping and people are already feeling safe in using racist codewords to describe maduro's poc supporters.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Probably not the starving people who needed the aid?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

"may not require a war declaration" well what does, we haven't needed to declare war for almost eighty years

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Chuck Boone posted:

A journalist at the scene said that the aid ignited from munitions fired at it by the National Guard (he said "tear gas").

George is being very cynical. You can easily argue the other way and say, "Who's more likely to burn the trucks: the people being ordered to stop the trucks from entering Venezuela at all costs, or the people risking their lives to make sure the trucks enter Venezuela?"

i think he's rightfully being very cynical. you have an aid convoy being pushed by a nation which is dying to start a war and an opposition government that is working hand in hand with said government.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
edit, adding on this end of the post for reasons: i could very easily buy "the ignited trucks were the result of tear gas munitions but not necessarily intentional arson"

Discendo Vox posted:

What is the disposition of the Lima Group toward today's events?

i don't see any responses yet (but again, english language, so it's very possible there's stuff in spanish that hasn't hit the angloweb yet) but their previous position was "maduro bad, military intervention bad"

Private Witt posted:

Reuters reporter has video of a colectivo thug firing - what appear to be - live rounds at protesters:

https://twitter.com/Liamaramos/status/1099484536193327104

i think you mean a noble defender of the revolution

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I like how the mask is slipping and people are already feeling safe in using racist codewords to describe maduro's poc supporters.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i think you mean a noble defender of the revolution

It's amusing to see what liberals are willing to say about nonwhite people overseas, because you know that's how they feel about those people at home.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

It's amusing to see what liberals are willing to say about nonwhite people overseas, because you know that's how they feel about those people at home.

frankly i'm not sure how you can tell he's a poc

(or how i can tell he's a he, which i can't)

guess your eyes, and the beady racist eyes of private witt, are better than mine

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

frankly i'm not sure how you can tell he's a poc

(or how i can tell he's a he, which i can't)

guess your eyes, and the beady racist eyes of private witt, are better than mine

‘Thugs’ is a race-code word that fuels anti-Black racism

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ok, so are we taking odds on whether guaido will keep his 30 day election promise once his buddy trump's military intervention kills a ton of venezuelans and guaido is installed as the US' puppet?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Condiv posted:

i think he's rightfully being very cynical. you have an aid convoy being pushed by a nation which is dying to start a war and an opposition government that is working hand in hand with said government.

also the brain behind it is elliot abrams, a man who has disguised weapons as humanitarian aid and used them to commit horrific genocide in the past

it is, in fact, what he is most known for

e: bolton, too is legendary for his constant and unrelenting warmongering

those two just want to kill as many non-whites as possible, as brutally as possible. the oil is just a side-benefit to them

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 24, 2019

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Condiv posted:

ok, so are we taking odds on whether guaido will keep his 30 day election promise once his buddy trump's military intervention kills a ton of venezuelans and guaido is installed as the US' puppet?

that already got dumpstered and pushed to 7 (or maybe it was several?) months, like at least 3 weeks ago iirc

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 24, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

that already got dumpstered and pushed to 7 months, like at least 3 weeks ago iirc

the opposition cannot* hold an election without the assent and involvement of the CNE anyway, and that's not an option until the PSUV either buckles or is (temporarily?) pushed aside

* - with the possible exception of that one referendum, i dunno how that worked

on the plus side, we've established in this thread that in the event of an election, arresting the entirety of the PSUV leadership and disqualifying them from the election is constitutionally legitimate

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the opposition cannot* hold an election without the assent and involvement of the CNE anyway, and that's not an option until the PSUV either buckles or is (temporarily?) pushed aside

DIdn't stop them from declaring their own president and carrying on affairs of state like Maduro didn't exist. Funny how they're negotiating the entry of US troops, talking to Mike Pence, and generally governing like they were the real deal, except when it comes to holding an election. Then they shrug their shoulders and say the law is the law, welp!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Homeless Friend posted:

that already got dumpstered and pushed to 7 (or maybe it was several?) months, like at least 3 weeks ago iirc

i thought there were people still banking on guaido holding elections 30 days after he takes power

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

DIdn't stop them from declaring their own president and carrying on affairs of state like Maduro didn't exist. Funny how they're negotiating the entry of US troops, talking to Mike Pence, and generally governing like they were the real deal, except when it comes to holding an election. Then they shrug their shoulders and say the law is the law, welp!

yep, toss it on the constitutional crisis pile; they can't realistically hold elections without either creating an entirely functional parallel electoral process (infeasible, but possible, I guess) or using the, you know, existing legitimate one (which Guaido was hoping for but the military went lol nope), so they are now in violation of the "shall" clause

they've put together a committee to maybe work on the first option, and plan for the second option :geno:

not that you actually care about constitutional crises in Venezuela except as a bludgeon for people you disagree with, but some people in this thread might

Condiv posted:

i thought there were people still banking on guaido holding elections 30 days after he takes power

technically, as CLB triumphantly points out, it's been 30 days since the declaration

Regarding your specific hypothetical: if the US invades, Everything Is hosed and there are a million excuses to delay elections (or for anti-Guaido posters to call them unfair if held :v: ), many of them genuinely sensible... if avoidable through the simple expedient of not invading.

I'm still banking on the outcome inherently involving new elections - Maduro steps down, or Maduro flees to Russia with $200m in gold and jewels, or Maduro grudgingly calls new elections, something in that vein. because all the alternatives mean Everything Is hosed, if maybe less so than a US invasion

Still, I think it's fairly likely that even in the hosed scenarios, we see elections. One really important thing is that the total breakdown of Venezuela electoral politics is less than five years old. This isn't a multi-decade dictatorial shitshow, just a multi-year one. It's still totally possible to get that element of the country back on track. I mean, the whole inciting incident for the establishment of an illegitimate one-party state was the PSUV holding free and fair elections because they thought they would win handily, and being super duper wrong.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 24, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm still banking on the outcome inherently involving new elections - Maduro steps down, or Maduro flees to Russia with $200m in gold and jewels, or Maduro grudgingly calls new elections, something in that vein. because all the alternatives mean Everything Is hosed, if maybe less so than a US invasion

See this is too much for me, liberals are busying painting Maduro as a corrupt bus driver with a ton of loot socked away. If he's as corrupt and self serving as you make him out to be, why hasn't he fled the country already with his ill gotten gains? What if Maduro actually loves his country, and despite his negligible formal education and mistakes made along the way- is doing the best he can with literally every western country in the world (except Italy for some reason) united against him?

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
https://twitter.com/Federation/status/1099374815394308102

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That's pretty common, the Red Cross/Crescent enjoys a weird super-IP pseudo-trademark right in functionally all jurisdictions and they enforce it like mad (famously they somehow reverse-superseded Johnson & Johnson's logo). It's a thorny problem because people working as medics in conflict areas will usually use the red cross emblem as a shorthand for "I'm not armed and trying to save lives, don't loving kill me".

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

What if Maduro actually loves his country, and despite his negligible formal education and mistakes made along the way- is doing the best he can with literally every western country in the world (except Italy for some reason) united against him?

He's got a funny way of showing it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

See this is too much for me, liberals are busying painting Maduro as a corrupt bus driver with a ton of loot socked away. If he's as corrupt and self serving as you make him out to be, why hasn't he fled the country already with his ill gotten gains? What if Maduro actually loves his country, and despite his negligible formal education and mistakes made along the way- is doing the best he can with literally every western country in the world (except Italy for some reason) united against him?

1) i'm not a liberal :smug:

2) i believe we had a somewhat interesting discussion on just that topic a bit ago; it might have been in the Middle East thread, but I think it started with Maduro

the upshot being that it actually would be pretty cool to have more Ben Alis who know when to get when the getting's good, but it turns out there are a lot of dictators who think they can weather the storm and keep reigning and stealing love their country and are doing the best they can :3: and if Mohammed bin Salman gets a few tens of billions of dollars for his devoted and selfless service, is that so wrong? and Abdel el-Sisi never even wanted power, he just could not stand by any longer and watch the terrorists destroy his beautiful country

sometimes the dictators who think they can pull it off in the face of alarming odds are even correct - I don't think Maduro will be in this category

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

it's also worth noting that when I'm talking kleptocrats and the need for fundamental change in PSUV/Venezuelan leadership, I get lazy and say 'Maduro' - him stepping down and being replaced with Cabello or El-Aissami would probably not be the sort of change that would save the party and the country

not that it wouldn't be hilarious to see the posts around that event

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it's also worth noting that when I'm talking kleptocrats and the need for fundamental change in PSUV/Venezuelan leadership, I get lazy and say 'Maduro' - him stepping down and being replaced with Cabello or El-Aissami would probably not be the sort of change that would save the party and the country

not that it wouldn't be hilarious to see the posts around that event

in this, we agree

it would be funny as all hell watching the scramble for the new way to proclaim them marxohitlerstalin. welcome to the reverse of Guaido's side of the story- there is the answer the US will accept, and the answers that will result in your disappearance (mysterious or public depending on how we're feeling that day-Pompeo likes public, Abrams likes mysterious) in favor of someone who will give the answer we're looking for.

good times ahead, gang!

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
Down south on the Brazil border. One native tribe seem to be in open conflict with the police/army.

Indigenous Pemon on Venezuela's border with Brazil vow to let aid in
https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1PY0MO?__twitter_impression=true

There was fighting at the local airport.
https://twitter.com/sotiridi/status/1099336503120068609

The border
https://twitter.com/LuisPin23257352/status/1099437489956233216

A military convoy was forced to stop and fighting broke out.
https://twitter.com/FernandoLeanme/status/1098966240633253889

Police seem more trigger happy than up north.
https://twitter.com/Guchadura/status/1099452868577382400

If this video is to be believed they are sending a good number more men to deal with the issue.
https://twitter.com/alexferfa/status/1099512506928775168

Claims of dead seem to range between 2 to 30

(From about a Month ago)
https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1085618368458182656

edit:
https://twitter.com/GEDV86/status/1099445755834744832

site is reporting on tape where they talk about releasing and arming prisoners to go murder the natives
As far as this guy is concerned the civil war is on and its time to start winning it.

RaffyTaffy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 24, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RaffyTaffy posted:

Down south on the Brazil border. One native tribe seem to be in open conflict with the police/army.

:ohdear:

hoping this doesn't go horribly for the pemon

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

They can’t hold elections until the PSUV are deemed terrorists for denying aid when 70% of their economy and all potential financing an economic solution are denied by sanctions. They can then be killed and democracy can be resorted so Trump can safely vacation and talk about how America is taking the oil to win re-election.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So this thread is moving fast and people are talking about dictatorship.

Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore was a bad rear end who could not be bought by the US and refuses their bribery. He also cares for infrastructure development and stamping out corruption.

Authoritarians and most leaders can only dream if they are as capable as uncle Harry. One key factor for Venezuelan’s recovery : a system of accountability and transparency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

The source, George Ciccariello-Maher, is a guy whose "opinions" are largely indistinguishable from the official Venezuelan government line.