Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TLG is a triumph and took a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can't wait for Half Life 3 to finally be released!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I really enjoyed that site that listed all the things that took a shorter time than DNF, including the moon landing and winning World War II

Edit: also goddamn
https://twitter.com/eclectik/status/1098918807236759553

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Viewtiful Jew posted:

When people say Anthem took five/six years to develop is it one of those situations where they restarted development at least once so the actual development time on the final game that's being played by the public is considerably less?

We don't know. I'm sure a year from now we'll have all sorts of post-mortems on this disaster but for now its all speculation.

Its almost certainly a case of the development being hectic and disorganized. I dunno if the project ever got completely rebooted but Bioware seems to be terrible at planning ahead. The original scope for the project likely exceeded what their development team could actually produce and the final product is something that got hacked together over the last 8 months because EA came into their offices and screamed "if you don't get this out before Division 2 you're all fired".

Gotta say, I hate the emerging narrative that Bioware has a "creative vision" for this game and that it'll be good a few months down the road. As if Bioware is somehow good at planning for the future.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really enjoyed that site that listed all the things that took a shorter time than DNF, including the moon landing and winning World War II

http://duke.a-13.net/

quote:

Pop Culture:
The Beatles formed, released every single one of their albums and broke up. During this time they also toured the world several times.
Led Zeppelin released 7 albums, 9 singles, and toured around the world, crossing international borders 27 times (not counting mainland Europe.)
Calvin and Hobbes started in syndication, over the years became widely considered as the best comic strip ever made, then was ended by its creator.

quote:

Science & Technology:
The Wright brothers designed and flew the first airplane.
The theory of General Relativity.
The United States' entire program to put a man on the moon, from Kennedy's challenge to the landing.
The complete construction of many monumental buildings and engineering projects. To name a few-
- The Empire State Building (Jan 1930 - May 1931)
- The Channel Tunnel (Dec 1987 - May 1994)
- The Golden Gate Bridge (Jan 1933 - May 1937)
- The World Trade Center (Aug 1966 - April 1973)
- The digging of the Suez Canal (by hand) took 11 years, from December 1858 to November 1869.
- The building of the Titanic took 3 years, from March 1909 to March 1912.
- The Hoover Dam was built in 5 years (1931-1936), although it took 9 years on top of that (starting in 1922) for the paperwork.
- The tallest structure on Earth, the Burj Dubai, was built in 5 years (2004-2009, technically they're still doing the finishing work).

quote:

Wars:
The American War for Independence
The United States Civil War
World War I
The United State's involvement in the Vietnam War.
World War II and the entire Manhattan Project. Yes, even the complete development of the atomic bomb took less time.
Alexander The Great's conquest of Persia took 6 years, from 334BC to 328BC
Julius Caesar's conquest of Gaul took 7 years, from 58 BC to 51BC

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Ever wanted to hear an album of Castlevania music in a major key?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

These are great. Some sound just like 80’s pop songs

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Elder Scrolls Online sure has a lot of content.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

So Anthem is hot trash and Apex Legends is going to strangle it to death in front of millions while circling Fortnite I take it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Black August posted:

So Anthem is hot trash and Apex Legends is going to strangle it to death in front of millions while circling Fortnite I take it

I'm actually worried at this point Anthem is going to limp along to meager success and Bioware will continue to fester like a fetid corpse.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

woah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
can't imagine why sega didn't license this game as die hard arcade 2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm actually worried at this point Anthem is going to limp along to meager success and Bioware will continue to fester like a fetid corpse.

I mean, I would like for people to not be fired. It's not like the regular day-to-day employees chose to make a bad game. They do they job and it'd be bad if Bioware shut down

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Finally I have accomplished all limited time objectives available on PC Monster Hunter, and can return to Kingdom Hearts 3.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dynamite Cop is one of my favorite games of all time even ifts janky, kind of bad poo poo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

corn in the bible posted:

I mean, I would like for people to not be fired. It's not like the regular day-to-day employees chose to make a bad game. They do they job and it'd be bad if Bioware shut down

Is it really better for a company to persist in a zombie like state and slowly bleed talent over years before its inevitable demise? Bioware isn't gonna produce good games again without a serious internal restructure, and EA never does that. Its not really a question of "will Bioware die" but when.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

who's left of OG Bioware anyway

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honesty when the inevitable comes it would probably be pretty hard to get a decent job in games with Bioware’s 9 straight years of continual stinkers on your resume

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Honesty when the inevitable comes it would probably be pretty hard to get a decent job in games with Bioware’s 9 straight years of continual stinkers on your resume

That is not how it works

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think I've concluded that Hollow Knight's platforming is not for me and the combat is only okay (again for me) but the exploration and atmosphere are going to carry it. I feel like I'm probably about halfway done maybe? Despite being wildly out of practice with this sort of game I haven't really been having any trouble so I should be able to complete it without much issue

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I've concluded that Hollow Knight's platforming is not for me and the combat is only okay (again for me) but the exploration and atmosphere are going to carry it. I feel like I'm probably about halfway done maybe? Despite being wildly out of practice with this sort of game I haven't really been having any trouble so I should be able to complete it without much issue

Hollow Knight is an absolutely massive game, much more than it seems at first, so its possible you aren't even 1/3rd. I'd recommend you get the main ending but just look up the DLC endings since they require a love and mastery of the games combat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got the dream nail and have 250ish of the stuff. My Dark Souls instincts told me that when the three objectives got marked on my map that was the halfway point but Dark Souls is not the only way to structure a game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I got the dream nail and have 250ish of the stuff. My Dark Souls instincts told me that when the three objectives got marked on my map that was the halfway point but Dark Souls is not the only way to structure a game

That doesn't actually tell us much since you can go to the resting grounds really early depending on what order you do things in. It's a very open game.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 24, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've been to ten zones:

Howling Cliffs
Dirtmouth
Crystal Peak
Greenpath
Forgotten Crossroads
Resting Grounds
Fungal Wastes
City of Tears
Deepnest

and one that isn't on my map so I forget its name because the map guy was behind a barrier I couldn't break. It's the one with the jellyfish

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Internet Kraken posted:

Is it really better for a company to persist in a zombie like state and slowly bleed talent over years before its inevitable demise? Bioware isn't gonna produce good games again without a serious internal restructure, and EA never does that. Its not really a question of "will Bioware die" but when.

It sucks to get fired!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I've been to ten zones:

Howling Cliffs
Dirtmouth
Crystal Peak
Greenpath
Forgotten Crossroads
Resting Grounds
Fungal Wastes
City of Tears
Deepnest

and one that isn't on my map so I forget its name because the map guy was behind a barrier I couldn't break. It's the one with the jellyfish

I think being halfway done seems pretty accurate there

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

corn in the bible posted:

It sucks to get fired!

Obviously, but at this point Bioware getting dissolved seems inevitable to me. Its just a question of when. Really it all hinges on Anthem, a game by which all accounts should sink the company but might be allowed to limp by because of future promises. But then, people were in denial about Andromeda when that came out too. Nobody would give those games a pass if they didn't fall under the Bioware brand, which still carries some weight. But that weight is rapidly dissolving, and if it continues to deteriorate then EA will break them up like they've done to so many other companies.

I just don't see any good outcome.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if EA dissolves Bioware they're going to not have a whole lot of big studios left

it'll be their sports studios, and DICE, respawn..... what else

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

if EA dissolves Bioware they're going to not have a whole lot of big studios left

it'll be their sports studios, and DICE, respawn..... what else

EA could gut everything but EA Sports and it wouldn't even make a difference in how hugely successful they are as a company. Most of their profits come from Madden and FIFA.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I'm not crying, you're crying!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats a good dog.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
gonna play every vampire game ever made, starting with this Lost City Of Vampires thing I wasted money on.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Start with Vampire Rain.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Disposable Scud posted:

gonna play every vampire game ever made, starting with this Lost City Of Vampires thing I wasted money on.

loving waste of time, you should be becoming a vampire so you can play every game ever made! Not just the vampire games!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Play Vampire games while watching What We Do In The Shadows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGQChk9zGyQ

Movie was real good. High hopes for TV series.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

loving waste of time, you should be becoming a vampire so you can play every game ever made!

Except Boktai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004